Corona

simo

We're only allowed out for essential shopping,to exercise once daily,for medical reasons or to go to work (if you cannot work from home) it's been like that for a few weeks now...both my wife and I have to go to work...she works in the hospital and I work as a street cleaner which atm is a wide range of essential bin duties & washing areas...22 people work with me and only two of us have been at work the last 3 weeks...we have very little PPE...we never know what we're lifting nor where it came from but it has to be done to prevent disease of other kinds taking hold...I won't lie I'm shitting myself out there...but I'm more afraid for my wife...we have three young sons...i'm trying to get to the easter holidays next week...then i'm lying low myself for a few weeks.

Yeah, China was like "we got this, we've been preparing for years..."
And they did, althought their figures are obviously skewed.

We have people returned to Australia from cruise ships who are bitching about their forced accommodation.
their 5 star forced FREE accommodation.
I mean, Crown Towers FFS, this place is a few hunder dollars a night normally.
I'm like "WTF, why out them up in 5 star?"

3 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Yeah, China was like "we got this, we've been preparing for years..."
And they did, althought their figures are obviously skewed.

We have people returned to Australia from cruise ships who are bitching about their forced accommodation.
their 5 star forced FREE accommodation.
I mean, Crown Towers FFS, this place is a few hunder dollars a night normally.
I'm like "WTF, why out them up in 5 star?"

Fucking infuriating, isn't it? They don't like the food? Easy fix. Stop feeding the fucking maggots and concentrate on the ones that are appreciative to be back home. 

So a question for other countries
you guys have it far worse than anybody wlse, with around a quarter of all cases.
Our news from overseas is somewhat fragements and Australia-centric at the moment.
We hear the odd comment, like Trump saying it will all be better by Easter, etc

What is the general feeling over there?

Here, we are settling in for another 5 or 6 months of staying at home.
We are very fortunate that we were in surplus as a country going into this, so are in a far better position than most, and can endure longer.
But the US doesn't have the same capacity (much larger population) or the health care, and also are dealing with this huge amount of cases.
So how long do you guys see this as going on? How screwed do you think your country will be coming out of this?

People in Europe and the UK, how do you guys endure?
You're all kind of connected (especially Europe)
What is being said? Do you feel like you're getting the big picture?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:00 PM, lettard said:

We're only allowed out for essential shopping,to exercise once daily,for medical reasons or to go to work (if you cannot work from home) it's been like that for a few weeks now...both my wife and I have to go to work...she works in the hospital and I work as a street cleaner which atm is a wide range of essential bin duties & washing areas...22 people work with me and only two of us have been at work the last 3 weeks...we have very little PPE...we never know what we're lifting nor where it came from but it has to be done to prevent disease of other kinds taking hold...I won't lie I'm shitting myself out there...but I'm more afraid for my wife...we have three young sons...i'm trying to get to the easter holidays next week...then i'm lying low myself for a few weeks.

I hope you and your wife are doing well.  Those are difficult enough jobs, but I can only imagine what you both are going through during a time like this.  

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

So a question for other countries
you guys have it far worse than anybody wlse, with around a quarter of all cases.
Our news from overseas is somewhat fragements and Australia-centric at the moment.
We hear the odd comment, like Trump saying it will all be better by Easter, etc
What is the general feeling over there?
So how long do you guys see this as going on? How screwed do you think your country will be coming out of this?

I anticipate this will remain a major concern here in the U.S. at least through the summer.  In areas hardest hit it really overwhelms the hospitals.  The economy was overall in good shape, but we've already seen lots of furloughs and layoffs.  The federal government has unfortunately been playing catch up through most of this and has had to re-evaluate their assessments and action plans often.  Despite warnings for years from health officials, it seems like both the current and last Presidential administration failed to keep a proper inventory of the necessary ppe and emergency medical supplies. The state and local governments have had to manage much of this on their own initially, and all responded differently.  As such some areas of the country may be better off than others by June/July.  While other states will likely have ramifications for months beyond that.  It astonishes me to see people not taking the recommended precautions seriously while others hoarded essentials early on leading to panic buying and stores struggling to keep some items in stock.  I am grateful my family is well and I remain employed, working from home now.  I check in regularly with my parents, mother-in-law and a few, older neighbors. I try to remain calm so my family feels safe. But to add to my general concerns, I was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cancer last October.  It's a manageable disease with regular monitoring and treatment, but I am in the high risk category, so my stress level is at a maximum.

• Like 1

Canada still hasn't hit the apex yet, although they are saying we should hit it over the next few weeks... I expect we will be staying at home for another 6 months at least...I think we will be dealing with this virus until there is a working Vaccine in place which will be until at least Spring 2021 maybe even Summer 2021...a lot of numbers are being thrown around where we could have as many as 25000 deaths before it is done.....we still aren't testing enough to get a real understanding of the spread.....the economy will truly be screwed for years to come...one good thing to come out of this is that Canada will not have to depend on other countries for health care equipment after this virus as we will make sure that we make our own equipment instead of outsourcing it... latest numbers....

Total: 12,954 (18 presumptive, 12,936 confirmed including 214 deaths, 2,502 resolved)

I've been watching Canada, as we were 'neck and neck' for a while in the infected rate.
Unfortunatley I think you're double us now.

The most sucky thing about the hoarders right now is that people couldn't get some shit for weeks.
Now as it starts appearing on the shelves again, thise who didn't hoard are buying it all because 
1) they need it because they haven't been able to get it
2) they are worried it won't be back again for ages so grabbing it while they can.
Even with limits of 1 or 2 per person, the shelves aren't still staying full.
What this means is that people like me are having to hit up 3 times as many shops to get what I need.
This isn't helping infection rates with everyone doing this also.

Supermarkets have started limiting the number of people instore at a time now here.

Not sure how widely this has been spread, but I heard the other day how they define it as being 'over'
When 2 infection cycles go by with no new infections, that's it.
So a cycle here is 2 weeks for corona, so if a country goes 4 without a new infection, then they are clean.
Shows just how long we have in store until shit starts to get better.

What about the grey community , they gets a hour before the mad rash by younger generation . At same time the emergency workers e.g. nurses, ambulance drivers etc. get the same deal. Does that happen in your country. ?

When the  rule came in effect   with our elderly, I  saw three guys getting frog march the supermarket cause they were wearing  grey wigs

There are still shortages in the stores even though there are limits as to how much you can take...I haven't been able to find Lysol wipes anywhere....the grocery stores limit the number of people allowed in which is why I go at less busy times although when I asked the checkout person about it she said it wasn't busy all day which was a bit of a surprise but I guess people around here are actually staying home unless they have to go out....also the first hour is reserved for the elderly and handicapped, not sure about emergency workers although that would be a good idea....I have no patience or sympathy for those breaking the rules and if there are people trying to fake being elderly to get into a store , I would be quite happy to see them taken out back of the store and be beaten to death, I guarantee that once word got out it would be the last time it happened...

• My Little Pony
10 hours ago, Doggy said:

What about the grey community , they gets a hour before the mad rash by younger generation . At same time the emergency workers e.g. nurses, ambulance drivers etc. get the same deal. Does that happen in your country. ?

When the  rule came in effect   with our elderly, I  saw three guys getting frog march the supermarket cause they were wearing  grey wigs

I know some supermarkets have designated their first hour for the elderly, but I don't know if it was implemented by our government. 

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

There are still shortages in the stores even though there are limits as to how much you can take...I haven't been able to find Lysol wipes anywhere....the grocery stores limit the number of people allowed in which is why I go at less busy times although when I asked the checkout person about it she said it wasn't busy all day which was a bit of a surprise but I guess people around here are actually staying home unless they have to go out....also the first hour is reserved for the elderly and handicapped, not sure about emergency workers although that would be a good idea....I have no patience or sympathy for those breaking the rules and if there are people trying to fake being elderly to get into a store , I would be quite happy to see them taken out back of the store and be beaten to death, I guarantee that once word got out it would be the last time it happened...

That's a bit extreme. Haha.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:00 PM, lettard said:

OMG, you guys write like Cody. :P

28 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I know some supermarkets have designated their first hour for the elderly, but I don't know if it was implemented by our government. 

Here in the U.S. it's up to the individual retailer; it's not government mandated.

50 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Here in the U.S. it's up to the individual retailer; it's not government mandated.

At the Walmart near me, starting Saturday, they are limiting the number of people allowed in the store. You have to stand in line (which was lined around the corner) and when 1 person comes out of the store, 1 is let in. 

They make you take a designated path as well. Like a one way street. I guess this lessens the chance you cross paths with someone.

It's a mess that isn't going away any time soon.

News Flash...

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

So can someone tell me how in hell a tiger got infected? What idiot got close enough to pass it on? WTF!

News Flash...

A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

So can someone tell me how in hell a tiger got infected? What idiot got close enough to pass it on? WTF!

Siegfried & Roy have come out of retirement

Apparently in the US only ''essential'' stores and businesses are open like in many other countries around the world. Gun stores seem to be open... 

''gun stores, gun makers and shooting ranges are critical businesses that shouldn’t be closed''

This is in the Flamefest section so I just want to revisit the hoarder / panic buyers. 

I've heard a lot of people kind of excusing them, making comments like "they're panic buying 'cause they're scared" and "we all react to this in our own way" etc.

I really take issue with this because, what, everyone else who goes to buy every day items and can't anymore aren't scared? Being scared means it's okay to metaphorically fuck your fellow human in the anus with a crowbar? 

I'll be honest. I don't give a fuck if they're scared. That's no excuse to act like a fucking moron cunt and take away from, and inconvenience everyone else. Because these cunts have taken and are still taking everything, people like my parents, who are in the vulnerable age group, now spend half their week going from shop to shop, potentially exposing themselves to this virus multiple more times over, just because people are fucking morons and can't get it through their stupid, moronic fucked up skulls that if we'd all been reasonable from the start, we wouldn't be short of anything. 

Fucking cunts.

Anyway, that's a bit delayed. But still relevant because of the shit you can't buy anymore. 

And okay, let's make some enemies. People will hate me for this, but fuck. People blaming the leader of their country for not getting this thing perfect. Fuck's sake. Yes, a lot of people have fucked up but what makes people so sure they'd have got it right if they were in their position? Or if the political opposition that they voted for would have a lower bodycount on their hands? 

It should never have been all of our problem anyway. If you need to blame someone for the state of the fucking place right now, look where it came from and how it got out to the rest of the world. There's a reasonable place to aim your anger. Are people as brutal towards the leaders in Italy and Spain and France as they are towards Trump? I don't know, maybe they are. I wouldn't know because all you ever hear is Trump bashing. 

For the record, I don't give a flying fuck about US politics and don't have strong opinions on Trump... but fuck. A lot of people got their response to this thing wrong and we're all paying for it now in some way. Donald Trump isn't the only human on earth who got it wrong.

Anyway, I don't know enough or care enough about world politics to get tied up in it all, but it's just my observation as an outsider. 

China and the way they let this take over the entire world are the issue here. The leaders of our countries have not faced something like this any more than we have and I just not a fan of people being crucified by heroes with the wisdom of hindsight. For the record, I've had thoughts on how I thought things should have been done here and there, but never once been critical personally of what Scott Morrison (Aussie PM) is doing, even if I don't understand some of it. But whatever he's doing, and whatever bits he gets right of wrong, the guy's just doing what he can in a situation that's immeasurably fucked up. These guys don't want to see their people dying anymore than we do, and it'd be a decent touch to see people - christ forbid - show a bit of patriotism and do their bit to help their country get through this shit, rather than constantly bashing their president/leader. Jesus Christ and God n' stuff, the creator of all things (thank you for this one, Jesus), knows this thing's going to drag out for a hell of a long time. :( 

And that's my rant for the evening. 

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, simo said:

Apparently in the US only ''essential'' stores and businesses are open like in many other countries around the world. Gun stores seem to be open... 

''gun stores, gun makers and shooting ranges are critical businesses that shouldn’t be closed''

I don't know if I shared this here already, but a buddy of mine works at a Cabela's (camping, hiking, hunting gear store) and he said firearm sales have gone through the roof. And if folks don't have a gun license, they'll walk out with a bow. Oh, and I've been told that domestic violence has increased during this time, too. I hear sirens almost constantly. Just wonderful. 

1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I don't know if I shared this here already, but a buddy of mine works at a Cabela's (camping, hiking, hunting gear store) and he said firearm sales have gone through the roof. And if folks don't have a gun license, they'll walk out with a bow. Oh, and I've been told that domestic violence has increased during this time, too. I hear sirens almost constantly. Just wonderful. 

So what's the thought process behind buying all this weaponry? They going to shoot the Corona Virus? Or they're going to need weapons to raid stores for food? Or to steal food from their neighbour? Or to defend themselves against people doing this to them?

Fucking people, hey? Who the fuck would have 'em at all? When will there be a virus targeting morons and morons alone?   

• My Little Pony
34 minutes ago, Geoff said:

So what's the thought process behind buying all this weaponry? They going to shoot the Corona Virus? Or they're going to need weapons to raid stores for food? Or to steal food from their neighbour? Or to defend themselves against people doing this to them?

Fucking people, hey? Who the fuck would have 'em at all? When will there be a virus targeting morons and morons alone?   

I dunno. They're all preparing for some kind of apocalypse. But if there is an apocalypse it'll happen at the hands of those motherfuckers. 

As for the morons, the problem is low-income, unschooled people usually breed more low-income, unschooled people. And they breed a lot. And, while that doesn't necessarily guarantee those people will be morons, most morons come from that pool. Conversely, wealthy, educated, and successful people are typically too busy to have children, or may only have one, so the morons outnumber the intelligent. 

There's obviously more to it than that, but that's a big part of the issue. The "virus" to target the morons is simply better education. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I dunno. They're all preparing for some kind of apocalypse. But if there is an apocalypse it'll happen at the hands of those motherfuckers. 

As for the morons, the problem is low-income, unschooled people usually breed more low-income, unschooled people. And they breed a lot. And, while that doesn't necessarily guarantee those people will be morons, most morons come from that pool. Conversely, wealthy, educated, and successful people are typically too busy to have children, or may only have one, so the morons outnumber the intelligent. 

There's obviously more to it than that, but that's a big part of the issue. The "virus" to target the morons is simply better education. 

The opening to "Idiocracy" says it all.