Corona

simo

panic buying is crazy however I think it's wrong to belittle the potential this virus has to spread.

it's true that the younger population are probably ok. But if you're over 60 &/or have underlying health issues there is definitely cause to worry.

I'll be very happy if myself and my family & friends avoid it 

• 2023 Gold Donors
9 minutes ago, Glen said:

panic buying is crazy however I think it's wrong to belittle the potential this virus has to spread.

it's true that the younger population are probably ok. But if you're over 60 &/or have underlying health issues there is definitely cause to worry.

I'll be very happy if myself and my family & friends avoid it 

I can absolutely understand panic buying and stockpiling of essential items in a time crisis, however it only seems to be toilet paper that people are obsessed with, at least down here anyway. 

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I can absolutely understand panic buying and stockpiling of essential items in a time crisis, however it only seems to be toilet paper that people are obsessed with, at least down here anyway. 

don't want to get caught short. Stock piling beer I can understand ;)

I got genital corona-virus!!! these fucking pussy millennial's are such bitches, whats this world going to do? their all soft, and why does fucking China seem to be where this shit always starts? its cause they eat dog head, and bats, and cats and all sorts of rank shit, or they are testing new shit out they have been cooking up top secret, swine flu, SARS, I barely got rid of genital SARS, that was scary

Toilet paper, packet pasta, nappies, hand sanitiser, paper towel, tissues, paracetemol, probably a few others that perople are clearing out.

Whatever happens with the virus will happen, not much we can really do in the big scheme of things.

Hasn't impacted my main business yet, but had the first school tour cancel my otehr business today because of the virus.

I am supposed to be going to China end of June - unlikely to happen now.
The way this will impact the world economy is yet to be seen, and it will be big.
What's happening now will have a flow on effect regardless of whether the virus is sorted tomorrow.

I can't get shipments out of China because the docks are barren.
Factpories will have a backlog when things get back on track.
The Aussie doller is pretty shit as well.

I agree that the media is overreacting, but there is cause for concern given the rate at which the coronavirus spreads, how long it remains active on surface, and the mortality rate.

I've been adding a bit of extra bottled water and canned goods to my normal grocery shopping over the last month, slowly building up a reserve, in the event there is a supply chain disruption. I think things are worse in high population areas. Here in flyover country, there hasn't been any panic shopping yet.

And the economic upheaval is already here. My pension plan is down horrifically. I was planning to retire next year, but now that's all on hold pending a bounceback. The important thing to remember is that losses aren't realized until you actually sell... until then it's a buying opportunity. It's just mentally stressful seeing the percentage losses in the interim... also, it could take years to come back.

Just gotta hunker down and ride it out.

More people die every year from the regular yearly flu than from corona so yes there is a ridiculous panic ongoing....my investments are in the crapper as well but my bet is that this will all go away in a few months when the virus plays itself out... I don't think we have seen the apex yet so we will have to deal with the media silliness for a while yet....the worst thing you can do when the market drops is panic and sell off, so everyone needs to take a pill or something and relax....

Haha, I was beaten to it. I've been meaning to flamefest this for a week or so now. I can acknowledge the concern for older people, especially with pre-existing health concerns. But as usual, the media are making things the worst they can possibly be. Stupid fucks. 

The main reason I was going to enter this flamefest is the panic buyers. I know it's harsh, but I wouldn't be opposed to armed police officers standing outside shops and gunning these selfish c#nts down and returning stock to shelves so the rest of us can buy the steady flow of goods we require, as we always have. 

You actually seriously can't buy toilet paper anywhere I know of at the moment. And this is for no other reason than that these moronic fucking c#nts have bought it all for their selfish c#nt selves. There's no actual supply shortage or need for panic... It is purely just c#nts being c#nts. If the fucking c#nts hadn't gone out and stockpiled all the toilet paper we'd all still have a plentiful supply, as usual. 

What pisses me off beyond comprehension is all these IQ-free, lemming, selfish moron c#nts sitting in their homes with rooms full of toilet paper, while I can't even buy a pack of toilet rolls that we actually genuinely need for my wife and kids. What the fuck is that? 

I wish the absolute worst for these selfish mothetfuckers and hope the virus evolves to be drawn to areas housing large supplies of hoarded toilet rolls. 

Fucking c#nts. The human race. Seriously, just fucking despicable things. 

• Thanks 1

Side falmefest...

People who say shit and fuck, but not cunts.

Get with the times Geoff. There is no # in the word.
I'm assuming your u button is working ok, because it works in 'fucking' ;)

Seriously though, with the kids these days, its so normalised.
I blame NEighbors and realityshows that allowed mild swearing in kid friendly timeslots.
it's all gone downhill from there and the youth of today all speak like tradies.

flamefest panic buying absolutely.

however I would never belittle this virus. At the end of the day the media are only reporting what is happening and the action being taken by governments at the advice of Who and experts whom I am guessing are far more in the know that anyone on this board.

When you look at Italy what is happening there is quite startling - 10,000 cases and what 600 deaths. That's a pretty scary stat and a much higher mortality rate than seasonal flu so you can understand why drastic lockdown action is being taken. 

I would imagine we will be seeing similar action in the UK in 1-2 weeks if the number of cases continues to grow. 

As for toilet roll I can pretty much walk into any store here and buy loo roll (except maybe an Asda which are frequented by pikeys) so maybe this says more about aussies than humans in general ;)

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Side falmefest...

I blame NEighbors and realityshows that allowed mild swearing in kid friendly timeslots.
it's all gone downhill from there and the youth of today all speak like tradies.

How dare you attack Geoff. You dirty rotten #@$%&÷*&  "#$+×) ¥₩£.

• 2023 Gold Donors

It makes you wonder what would happen if a virus popped up that was bubonic plague, highly contagious and killed you within a month or so. The people contracting it would be considered "walking dead". Zombie apocalypse? Also, on a side note. Before the Corona Virus the biggest international news was the Hong Kong protests. It was getting out of hand and the world was wondering how China was going to react. They couldn't go in all guns blazing, but the situation was unacceptable. Then, all of a sudden Corona Virus pops up. A few weeks ago it was illegal to wear a face mask in public in Hong Kong due to the protests, then within a blink of an eye you could be arrested for not wearing one! I'm not trying to get all conspiracy theoryish, just sayin'.

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Side falmefest...

There are kids on the forum these days. I'm just looking out for everyone. Fuck is well normalised, but c#nt (seriously, what is wrong with the U button on this laptop!) is still a bit harsh for the kids. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

flamefest panic buying absolutely.

however I would never belittle this virus. At the end of the day the media are only reporting what is happening and the action being taken by governments at the advice of Who and experts whom I am guessing are far more in the know that anyone on this board.

When you look at Italy what is happening there is quite startling - 10,000 cases and what 600 deaths. That's a pretty scary stat and a much higher mortality rate than seasonal flu so you can understand why drastic lockdown action is being taken. 

I would imagine we will be seeing similar action in the UK in 1-2 weeks if the number of cases continues to grow. 

As for toilet roll I can pretty much walk into any store here and buy loo roll (except maybe an Asda which are frequented by pikeys) so maybe this says more about aussies than humans in general ;)

I'm very curious about that Italian situation and how/why it got like that. The numbers are a concern, but that's if the numbers can be believed. The way I'm understanding it, for younger people the virus can have little more effect than that of a common flu. And a mild one at that. I don't know about you, but I've never even considered going to the doctor for a flu, and I doubt I'm the only one. So I wonder to myself if a huge number of people have actually had it but never been diagnosed with it. If fit, young, healthy people are getting it and it's just passing through, we wouldn't know about it.

I only point this out because if it's 600 deaths in 100,000, or 1,000,000 cases or more, it's slightly better odds. Still pretty hectic, but I can't help wondering if it is much different to the more severe strains on the flu we as humans already deal with. I dunno. I am obviously no expert and know no more about what's happening than the rest of us. 

At the end of the day, there is no need for selfish cunts to think they're more important than the rest of us and take all the shit for themselves without any consideration for their fellow human. Seriously can't tell you how much I detest these cunts. (Looks like the U button is working okay now). To not understand that they themselves are the reason no one else can buy a toilet roll - either not understand, or not care. It's fucking disgraceful. They'd be the type of cunts that would push women and children and their own family under a bus if it ensured their own safety. Fuck those miserable, selfish cunts.   

And fair call, Glen. If this is just an Aussie thing I'm more than happy to call it what it is. Regardless of their origin or nationality, a good bullet in the head would look nice. I have seen videos online from around the world, though, so not 100% sure it is just here... 

In the end we roll with it, because we have little options.
It definately hits the older and ill people.
My mither in law is very ill with cancer with not long left. She is being pretty carfeful, not just with this virus, but any other virus starting with the cold.

My father found out recently that he also has cancer, and being in his 70's is at risk as his immunities are way down with chemo and radiation therapies.
He watches all the news and is on top of it all. He is very pragmatic, having been a lawyer all his life and isn't too worried at the moment.

Doesn't look like easing up any time soon.
What if the contries that produce oil get this virus, and are locked down etc? Petrol proces will skyrocket.
Gp to a shop, pick up a product and turn it over. good chance you'll see 'made in China' written there. This will all hurt many businesses and the world's economies overall in the months to come.
Airlines are reducing their flights by around a third at the moment. Qantas say theu have 2000 emplotees more than they need right now. Discount airfares are everywhere, but nobody seems to want to travel. (although I am happy to take advantage and head over to Bali when bargain flights come up there, as I can have a break and also purchase stock to replace some of what I can't get in China)
Inbound tourism with halve in most countries. HALVE. Imagine what impact that will have on the enconomies?

I mean obviously there is the illness, and that seems to be serious enough, but once all is said and done, there will be a massive recovery

seriously, all jokes aside, why do all these fucked up diseases and viruses seemingly always somehow pop up in China, am I the only one who's noticed this shit? tell me where all the last major viruses and such have shown up originally, in the last 10 years? anyone got any ideas, as im not well steeped on Chinese knowledge

I travel to China twice a year.
While it is growing at a massive rate, they still have a huge population.
I was in Shanghai last year during a public holiday, and all 24 million people were out on the streets, because it's better than sitting in their tiny apartment maybe with no TV.
Poverty has reduced a lot, but really the standards have only risen, they still struggle a lot.

Also the Chinese eat a lot of weird stuff.
I know it's ;weird to us' and that's true. You don't see 16 year old girls walkinga round eating donuts, they queue for barbequed squids on a stick. They eat all of the animals, and the animals are varied. Last trip my contacts there took me to a resturant with 'western' food. I still ended up eating goose, and soup from a bowl of mixed stuff I didn't dare to ask about.
One the way out there was a drum with a fire in it, and chickens hanging outside it 'cooking' from the radiated heat. I dare say this was the chicken we had eaten inside. Cooking by a busy dusty road.
I don't know if these kinds of things come about this way. They ay coronavirus came from eating a pig that had been bitten by a snake.
Would love to know how they got to that.

Generally when I'm in China I stick to McDonald's or Pizza Hut etc, because I can't afford to get sickeating foods that I am not used to.

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

In the end we roll with it, because we have little options.
It definately hits the older and ill people.
My mither in law is very ill with cancer with not long left. She is being pretty carfeful, not just with this virus, but any other virus starting with the cold.

My father found out recently that he also has cancer, and being in his 70's is at risk as his immunities are way down with chemo and radiation therapies.
He watches all the news and is on top of it all. He is very pragmatic, having been a lawyer all his life and isn't too worried at the moment.

Doesn't look like easing up any time soon.
What if the contries that produce oil get this virus, and are locked down etc? Petrol proces will skyrocket.
Gp to a shop, pick up a product and turn it over. good chance you'll see 'made in China' written there. This will all hurt many businesses and the world's economies overall in the months to come.
Airlines are reducing their flights by around a third at the moment. Qantas say theu have 2000 emplotees more than they need right now. Discount airfares are everywhere, but nobody seems to want to travel. (although I am happy to take advantage and head over to Bali when bargain flights come up there, as I can have a break and also purchase stock to replace some of what I can't get in China)
Inbound tourism with halve in most countries. HALVE. Imagine what impact that will have on the enconomies?

I mean obviously there is the illness, and that seems to be serious enough, but once all is said and done, there will be a massive recovery

wow, very sorry to hear that :(

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

wow, very sorry to hear that :(

Thanks, unfortunately the elderly are the ones who inflate the cancer rate, as the older you get the more likely you are.
My mother in law was diagnosed over a year ago, and has done well considering.
The upside was that my wife never had a great relationship with her motehr. When she got sick, it was like she went through a major personality change and they have had an amazing relationship over the last year. Something small to come from something terrible.

My father has some spinal and lung cancer. I think the lung cancer is the serious one, and it will shorten his life. Unfortunately, he was a smoker all his life until he switched to e-cigarettes, which I think can still be dangerous, but I'd say the damage was done.
Don't smoke people.

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.....

With the shortage of asswipe in Australia, I'm wondering if the trees have been stripped of leaves....lol

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.....

With the shortage of asswipe in Australia, I'm wondering if the trees have been stripped of leaves....lol

Where did you get those numbers? Not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to read it for myself.