Corona

simo

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, auslander said:

I'm in Victoria so have had my share of lockdowns EVEN THOUGH I live regionally and not in a city and there has not been a SINGLE CASE within 200kms of where I live for the entire 18 months of this pandemic. 

Nah sorry Geoff,  missed that article. I avoid most mainstream media these days, just rely on my Google feed and those articles are all about hard rock, cars, retiring and soccer (must be my main interests) 😀

So, you're a Victorian.

Nice one mate.

4 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

You live in Victoria, and soccer is your go to?
wow

I used to be a huge AFL fan but it got to the point where unless you were woke it's not for you - with theme rounds every week, social justice causes and people always getting offended. It wasn't an escape anymore from real life, so I stopped watching. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, auslander said:

I used to be a huge AFL fan but it got to the point where unless you were woke it's not for you - with theme rounds every week, social justice causes and people always getting offended. It wasn't an escape anymore from real life, so I stopped watching. 

Which AFL team were you a huge fan of?

14 hours ago, auslander said:

All I can say is I'd sacrifice this enforced "safety" for liberty. I may live in the safest country in the world but man it can be stifling. This is why the US is the greatest nation on earth, the greatest in history. They are the Free, the least regulated. I hope it never changes for them.

0.5 million of them are also dead 

you seem to miss that tiny detail. 

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Good to hear some positive news from other regarding how vaccinations are affecting life.
Australia will eventually have no option to follow suit.
Our low vaccination rate is due to the govt heavily investing in AstraZeneca as it can be produced here locally.
And is was produced here, millions of doses of a dodgy vaccine.
Say what you will about Trump, but the deal he did for vaccines saved the US
He made the correct calls and we didn't, and we have 4% vaccinated and it's all on pause at the moment due to lack of supply....

there is nothing wrong with astrazeneca. you have more chance of getting a blotclot sitting on a plane for 5 hours. Fact. 

16 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Why? Do you actually think things have improved in this country since Biden took office? I don't.

my pension is doing much better now. thanks for asking 

Edited by Glen

Just now, Glen said:

0.5 million of them are also dead 

you seem to miss that tiny detail. 

And 2,854,838 people died in the USA in 2019 before covid. 

About 606,520 died from cancer in the US in 2020.

About 659,041 died from heart disease and you'd assume similar in 2020. 

Not a fan of how you keep posting these covid numbers as if it's the only way people die in the world.

People die, and it's sad. Most times, no matter how someone dies, it has a massive impact on people's lives. But people have died since the dawn of time and will until the last day of earth. From one thing or another. It's sad but it happens and we cannot stop it. It's inevitable for all of us. Covid is one of thousands of ways people can and will die on earth.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And 2,854,838 people died in the USA in 2019 before covid. 

About 606,520 died from cancer in the US in 2020.

About 659,041 died from heart disease and you'd assume similar in 2020. 

Not a fan of how you keep posting these covid numbers as if it's the only way people die in the world.

People die, and it's sad. Most times, no matter how someone dies, it has a massive impact on people's lives. But people have died since the dawn of time and will until the last day of earth. From one thing or another. It's sad but it happens and we cannot stop it. It's inevitable for all of us. Covid is one of thousands of ways people can and will die on earth.   

that is not my point. I was replying to a post where someone was defending the US stance on COVID over australias 

I was merely pointing out that 0.5 million people died as a result of that stance. How many have died in Australia? proportionately speaking? 

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Which AFL team were you a huge fan of?

Hint: I have 2 dogs. One is 10 years old and is named Buddy. The other is 4 years old and is named Roughie.

Edited by auslander

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

that is not my point. I was replying to a post where someone was defending the US stance on COVID over australias 

I was merely pointing out that 0.5 million people died as a result of that stance. How many have died in Australia? proportionately speaking? 

I really don't want to get into this again, but out of curiosity, at least take a glance at table 3 in this link;

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#Comorbidities

Again, you speak like covid just comes along and kills perfectly healthy people who still had decades to live. Generally speaking, the majority of people that have died from covid more likely than not had other contributing factors, and if you really delved into it, I'm sure you could make an argument that any and many other types of ailments may also have claimed their lives at the time they passed.

As I'm sure we've all heard over and over again, the mortality numbers are made up of people that died with covid (and I believe in many cases, having had covid at some stage) - not necessarily from covid alone, brutally slaying them. 

Again, like I say, a death is a death and it's sad (most the time). But I just don't believe that covid alone is the giant killer you make it out to be. I don't know the exact number in Australia, but I believe it is made up mostly from clusters in nursing homes. 

25 minutes ago, Glen said:

my pension is doing much better now. thanks for asking 

So the only important indicator are the financial markets? Wow, that's a very Republican and un-Democratic perspective. You might get canceled for that.... :P :lol:

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I really don't want to get into this again, but out of curiosity, at least take a glance at table 3 in this link;

Again, you speak like covid just comes along and kills perfectly healthy people who still had decades to live. Generally speaking, the majority of people that have died from covid more likely than not had other contributing factors, and if you really delved into it, I'm sure you could make an argument that any and many other types of ailments may also have claimed their lives at the time they passed.

As I'm sure we've all heard over and over again, the mortality numbers are made up of people that died with covid (and I believe in many cases, having had covid at some stage) - not necessarily from covid alone, brutally slaying them. 

Again, like I say, a death is a death and it's sad (most the time). But I just don't believe that covid alone is the giant killer you make it out to be. I don't know the exact number in Australia, but I believe it is made up mostly from clusters in nursing homes. 

you didn't answer the question 

27 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'm sure your stance washes well with the millions of families in the US affected by COVID deaths.

don't worry about it,  he/she was going to pop off anyway. Alls good 👍 

32 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'll answer the question for you :

US population : 328M

COVID deaths : 600,000

Aussie population : 25M

COVID deaths : 908

proportionately US deaths should be 11,000 if they had been as successful as Australia in combatting the virus

or conversely 45,000 people should be dead in Australia.

honestly: which set of stats do you prefer

20 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'm sure your stance washes well with the millions of families in the US affected by COVID deaths.

And this is why I haven't even bothered for so long. Because that's the only answer - I am happy everyone died and all I want is for people to die from the vilest disease humanity has ever faced. That's clearly the only answer if I don't follow your point of view. Sorry for not seeing something so obvious. Covid is the single biggest killer the world has ever faced and has killed most who have had it. We must all panic and live in fear and cease any desire to enjoy our lives again because covid's going to get us all. I'm sorry. And 600,000 of 328M is the majority of the population in the US and it's only a matter of time before it gets the rest of them. Panic, panic. 

I hope this suits your rhetoric better. 

• Haha 1

During real pandemics, people arent debating rather it's a pandemic or not

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glen said:

And whilst on the subject, your dismissal of every other death bar covid related deaths, no doubt, would sit very well with families in the US affected by heart disease deaths. Or cancer. Or dementia. 

Did you even look at that link? I know it doesn't suit your narrative one iota, and it's just an internet link and who knows, maybe every single number isn't 100% accurate - but what is? - but do you not find it even the tiniest bit interesting? I hadn't seen those numbers before and I found it quite staggering (only because it's what I've been saying along, through common sense, without actually seeing it spelled out before me).

You can pick out the rare cases, but whether you like it or not, and no matter how much of a cunt you want to make me feel like for pointing it out, I don't believe it is fictitious to say that the pandemic has mostly targetted those that were already vulnerable, and as I say, may not have survived something as common as a hard bout of influenza. Only difference is, every other death hasn't been the opening story on every single news bulletin worldwide for the last 18 months. Start every news bulletin for 18 months with the amount of tests taken for heart disease, the amount of confirmed cases and the amount of deaths each day, and let me know how you feel about heart disease at the end of 18 months. 

But gloss over it again and remind me again about how little compassion I have for those affected by covid-related deaths. And only covid-related deaths. I don't want you to dare consider I may feel for those affected by other deaths too. Only covid deaths. Man I hate those fucking people. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 2

Well as usual everyone picks their side and sticks to it....yes there are a lot of deaths every year from every possible cause you can think of, cancer, heart disease , car accidents etc...and we now have another cause called Covid because it isn't going anywhere....of course you can lessen the odds of dying from Covid by getting vaccinated just like you can wear a seat belt to lessen the odds of dying in a car wreck...ignoring Covid because it is a pain in the ass to deal with is not the answer....as for the comment about the US being free, I agree, however they could have saved more lives if they hadn't been quite so free just like they could save lives if they addressed the bullet virus that is going around that caused 578 mass shootings last year....

7 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Well as usual everyone picks their side and sticks to it....yes there are a lot of deaths every year from every possible cause you can think of, cancer, heart disease , car accidents etc...and we now have another cause called Covid because it isn't going anywhere....of course you can lessen the odds of dying from Covid by getting vaccinated just like you can wear a seat belt to lessen the odds of dying in a car wreck...ignoring Covid because it is a pain in the ass to deal with is not the answer....as for the comment about the US being free, I agree, however they could have saved more lives if they hadn't been quite so free just like they could save lives if they addressed the bullet virus that is going around that caused 578 mass shootings last year....

Just to be clear, I don't think I've seen anyone say we should ignore Covid. We can all acknowledge it's not going anywhere. Christ knows the media and government won't make it possible to forget it either. But here in Australia especially, I think we'd all appreciate a more measured and sensible to approach it. The panic and hysteria does far more damage than good, of that I have absolutely zero doubt. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

And whilst on the subject, your dismissal of every other death bar covid related deaths, no doubt, would sit very well with families in the US affected by heart disease deaths. Or cancer. Or dementia. 

Did you even look at that link? I know it doesn't suit your narrative one iota, and it's just an internet link and who knows, maybe every single number isn't 100% accurate - but what is? - but do you not find it even the tiniest bit interesting? I hadn't seen those numbers before and I found it quite staggering (only because it's what I've been saying along, through common sense, without actually seeing it spelled out before me).

You can pick out the rare cases, but whether you like it or not, and no matter how much of a cunt you want to make me feel like for pointing it out, I don't believe it is fictitious to say that the pandemic has mostly targetted those that were already vulnerable, and as I say, may not have survived something as common as a hard bout of influenza. Only difference is, every other death hasn't been the opening story on every single news bulletin worldwide for the last 18 months. Start every news bulletin for 18 months with the amount of tests taken for heart disease, the amount of confirmed cases and the amount of deaths each day, and let me know how you feel about heart disease at the end of 18 months. 

But gloss over it again and remind me again about how little compassion I have for those affected by covid-related deaths. And only covid-related deaths. I don't want you to dare consider I may feel for those affected by other deaths too. Only covid deaths. Man I hate those fucking people. 

when have I dismissed other causes of death?

Again you seem to be missing my point which is simply who has dealt with COVID better, the US/UK or Australia.

You seem to be pretty against everything your country has done (very effectively) to contain this virus and seem to wish your borders were open and you didn't have to wear a mask and there were no lockdowns. 

so I can only assume you would be perfectly happy with 45000 of your fellow citizens needlessly having been snuffed out by governmental cock ups. Because that is mainly what has caused such large numbers in the US & the UK. Governmental cock ups. Failure to lock down fast enough and close off borders. Its pretty much accepted even by the UK government that they could have acted differently to save more lives.

So tbh I wish our government had acted like your government and we had a few thousand deaths rather than the 150K.

But you don't seem able to see this, you are just pissed off by the terrible draconian measures that your evil government have imposed on you. 

I wonder if your thinking would be different if the Australian government had been totally lax and a member of your family had passed away as a result? 

But hey let's not concern ourselves with that cos they would have probably died anyway ;)

Just take a step back and look at what you are saying. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
22 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Why? Do you actually think things have improved in this country since Biden took office? I don't.

Yes things are better now than when Trump was in office.

28 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

Yes things are better now than when Trump was in office.

Nothing really feels any different to me personally except the excessive increase in prices of a lot of things here in the USA like gas, lumber and other things. 

Things are better in terms of the constant media Circus that Trump created and we don't have constant daily drama going on.  But not sure my daily life is better other than the COVID situation improving which was bound to happen anyways.

At the end of the day, the biggest problems here are just with people in general and not our President.  All I see everyday in our news is more shootings, robberies and other senseless stuff and it doesn't matter who the President is.

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, auslander said:

Hint: I have 2 dogs. One is 10 years old and is named Buddy. The other is 4 years old and is named Roughie.

Okay, I now understand why you lost interest.  If I was a Hawks supporter, I would have also.  ;)

8 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

When a cop shoots somebody its the cops fault, when anyone else shoots somebody it's the gun, the bullets, the NRA, the Republicans, the 2nd amendments, the people who sold the gun,, the people who sold the bullets, the people who made the gun, Trumps fault, Bush's fault, just like all you left wing wingnuts, it's anybodys fault but the person who pulled the trigger, the left have zero clue what self accountability is, they refuse to ever place blame on the person, but when you look at the statistics the number of murders performed with other weapons, arent that far behind, and also the bulk of murders are carried out with handguns, yet they for some odd reason are fixated on Ar-15's, which only account for 2% of homicides carried out with firearms, nothing ever makes sense, but hey it's still the cops fault he had to shoot somebody right? not the person who put the cops life in danger, i'd imagine the way the piece of shit media works people in other countrys probably think cops in the US are just driving around hunting down people, black people, ridiculous, all of it.