Corona

simo

58 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

With this being a pandemic you're probably right about it not being defeated.Especially when only 10% of the world is vaccinated.The main point is to minimize it.

The main difference between covid 19 and the flu is that I've known many people to get the flu but no one died from it.As for covid 19,I've known people,neighbors,etc... who died from it,

Right now we have in the USA we have a president who,if you believe the former president,is going to hurt God.So God answers to Joe Biden so all of us Americans have nothing to fear !

walter GIF

• Like 1

well our government are now saying that they intend to open up fully on the 19th even though they expect daily cases to be 100,000 a day by that point from the Delta Variant.

Thats a pretty crazy stat and the only reason they are able to do this is that vaccinations will be at 75% by that stage and everyone over the age of 18 will have had 1 jab. So they are hoping hospitisations and deaths will not track that increase.

however considering our cases were under 2500 a couple of weeks back you can see how this variant is spreading despite a high level of vaccination.

I can only assume that the Australian government is still being cautious as if this gets a grip it can escalate so quickly. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 minutes ago, Glen said:

well our government are now saying that they intend to open up fully on the 19th even though they expect daily cases to be 100,000 a day by that point from the Delta Variant.

Thats a pretty crazy stat and the only reason they are able to do this is that vaccinations will be at 75% by that stage and everyone over the age of 18 will have had 1 jab. So they are hoping hospitisations and deaths will not track that increase.

however considering our cases were under 2500 a couple of weeks back you can see how this variant is spreading despite a high level of vaccination.

I can only assume that the Australian government is still being cautious as if this gets a grip it can escalate so quickly. 

That's a big leap from 2500 cases a day to 100,000

On 7/5/2021 at 10:06 PM, auslander said:

Sorry, that's rubbish. We view people in the UK and US as brothers because we share culture and values. It doesn't matter what race a person is, what counts is cultural similarity. It's just virtue signalling to pretend you feel exactly the same to a stranger as you would to "family" or care about their situation to the same extent. And that is why the news focuses on those countries,  because we care more. It's just reality.  To pretend it isn't is just being dishonest. 

That's how you see it in your head, so anyone who disagrees with you is dishonest?
OK.
using your argument we would align more with New Zealand or Canada.

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

That's how you see it in your head, so anyone who disagrees with you is dishonest?
OK.
using your argument we would align more with New Zealand or Canada.

We do. Which is why we get a heap of NZ and Canadian content.

So the daily cases are going up from 2,500 to 100,000 in the UK, but how many more people are dying? The worldometer website says 0, which I doubt, but what sort of numbers are you looking at? Why do people care so much about how many new cases there are?

This obsession with case numbers has always frustrated the hell out of me. Like I said above, around 4000 people in Australia have had covid since October last year - wow! But only five people have died from illnesses related to covid. 

I often think about what everyone's favourite president once said... and I don't know what it was word for word. But something along the lines of stopping the tests so we don't get new cases and can move on. The mind-numbing dedication of the world media to report nightly how many new cases of covid there are in any particular place... and the people that lap it up. It is truly painful. 

Like I said all along, you open the news bulletin every single night for 18 months with the amount of people who get a positive flu result (which subsequently means stupid amounts of flu tests all day every day) and report every single death in that same period, and I have not a single ounce of doubt that you could create the exact same hysteria that there is about covid. 

Another week of lockdown here in NSW (maybe four or five days after our prime minister told the country they'd only ever be used as a last resort from now on), so the fucking morons can get the case numbers down so we get down to 0 and never ever have covid again in Australia. And then we don't ever have to lockdown again. Intelligent goals here in Australia. 

Everyone who's had their mind beaten to death by covid in the last 18 months is having this all-new panic about this delta garbage, but what's it actually doing? It spreads quicker and easier, but are more people dying? Honest question because I don't know but to me it just seems like such a blatant new way of keeping people scared and people are completely entranced by it, but do we know why? Or are people just so stupid that they don't even know why any more either? Just give it a new name, talk about all the new cases and make sure we're all still panicked about it? 

Because it's happening in my state and I was meant to go see mum and dad with the kids this weekend (cancelled now), I have been listening to a bit of radio this week and it makes me want to implode. There is absolutely no space anywhere for someone to voice anything other than complete acceptance of what is going on. It is a horrid time to be alive, no doubt about it. 

• Like 1

They are hoping that deaths & hospitalizations don't track the increase in cases. Makes sense but hospitalizations are already up so 🤞

I honestly don't understand where the spread is coming from though given the extent of vaccination. I kinda assumed that cases would tail off naturally over the next few weeks so was surprised by these predictions. Must just be people under 30 speading it about who are not vaccinated yet. Probably why they are confident to press ahead with stage 4 of opening up.

will soon see I guess.

on the news just now :

Is the PM comfortable with 100,000 cases a day?

Prime Minister's Questions is under way and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer begins by asking about the government’s plans to relax coronavirus restrictions in England on 19 July.

He asks about the health secretary’s comments that there could be 100,000 cases per day.

Boris Johnson responds by saying scientists are “absolutely clear” the link between cases and deaths has been “severed” because of the vaccination programme.

Asked again whether the PM is really comfortable with a plan that would see 100,000 cases a day, Johnson says the government will continue with a “balanced and reasonable approach”.

He points to the success of the vaccination roll-out for being able to go ahead with the planned relaxation of restrictions.

‐---------

interesting and what I expected to hear - this is ONLY able to take place because of the vaccination programme.

in summary : get vaccinated asap

One thing I will miss about the corona panic is being able to work at home. I've been working from home more than being in the office most of the last year. When they made the rules you had to wear masks at work two thirds of the office who had come back said "nope, not doing that" and we all went back to working from home. I love it. I do as much work but get to hang out with my dogs all day too. It's awesome.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, auslander said:

One thing I will miss about the corona panic is being able to work at home. I've been working from home more than being in the office most of the last year.

Our department is returning to the office this week after 16 months working remotely. Luckily I don't have to, as I'm taking early retirement at the end of September, and my office is being reassigned. It didn't make sense for me to go back and reacclimate just for a few months when someone else could ease into that office permanently.

• Like 3

Just now, heavyharmonies said:

Our department is returning to the office this week after 16 months working remotely. Luckily I don't have to, as I'm taking early retirement at the end of September, and my office is being reassigned. It didn't make sense for me to go back and reacclimate just for a few months when someone else could ease into that office permanently.

You must feel awesome about retiring. I have 20 years before I can do that at the moment, but I'd love to retire early too. Dreams...

1 minute ago, auslander said:

You must feel awesome about retiring. I have 20 years before I can do that at the moment, but I'd love to retire early too. Dreams...

Awesome but not. It's going to be a huge change financially as I will have far less income, but I hope to spin up some business ventures on the side to supplement my meager pension. But the last 5 years has taught me there's more to life than money. I need to get away from the systemic incompetence and ever-infuriating social/moral climate found on university campuses. When I find myself hating my job every single day, it's past time to go. The finances will sort themselves out. Life's too short to deal with that stress day in and day out, specially when fixing the underlying issues is beyond your control. Leaving, on the other hand, is.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

on the news just now :

Is the PM comfortable with 100,000 cases a day?

Prime Minister's Questions is under way and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer begins by asking about the government’s plans to relax coronavirus restrictions in England on 19 July.

He asks about the health secretary’s comments that there could be 100,000 cases per day.

Boris Johnson responds by saying scientists are “absolutely clear” the link between cases and deaths has been “severed” because of the vaccination programme.

Asked again whether the PM is really comfortable with a plan that would see 100,000 cases a day, Johnson says the government will continue with a “balanced and reasonable approach”.

He points to the success of the vaccination roll-out for being able to go ahead with the planned relaxation of restrictions.

‐---------

interesting and what I expected to hear - this is ONLY able to take place because of the vaccination programme.

in summary : get vaccinated asap

From the snippets I hear here and there, I think I like the cut of Boris' jib. Sounds like a guy who just wants to get on with things. 

As for your earlier post about not understanding the spread... you only even acknowledge it because it's all anyone in the media or government have talked about for the last 18 months. 

Millions get vaccinated against the flu every single year, yet it is a constant in our lives and constantly being spread (thankfully, without a covid microscope). It is what it is. And as much as the hysteria-pushers have tried so hard to make covid seem like the end of the world, in time, that's all covid will be too. Essentially just another strain of the common flu. If, collectively speaking, the human race can snap out of the trance so many are currently in. 

31 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Awesome but not. It's going to be a huge change financially as I will have far less income, but I hope to spin up some business ventures on the side to supplement my meager pension. But the last 5 years has taught me there's more to life than money. I need to get away from the systemic incompetence and ever-infuriating social/moral climate found on university campuses. When I find myself hating my job every single day, it's past time to go. The finances will sort themselves out. Life's too short to deal with that stress day in and day out, specially when fixing the underlying issues is beyond your control. Leaving, on the other hand, is.

Congrats on getting out of the rat race....one thing retirement has taught me is that it is better to be happy and a little less financially secure than unhappy at work everyday....

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, heavyharmonies said:

I'm taking early retirement at the end of September

Congrats ! I retired from full time work a little over 4 years ago and enjoy working part time.

I work for a school district and enjoy having weekends off 

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

From the snippets I hear here and there, I think I like the cut of Boris' jib. Sounds like a guy who just wants to get on with things. 

As for your earlier post about not understanding the spread... you only even acknowledge it because it's all anyone in the media or government have talked about for the last 18 months. 

Millions get vaccinated against the flu every single year, yet it is a constant in our lives and constantly being spread (thankfully, without a covid microscope). It is what it is. And as much as the hysteria-pushers have tried so hard to make covid seem like the end of the world, in time, that's all covid will be too. Essentially just another strain of the common flu. If, collectively speaking, the human race can snap out of the trance so many are currently in. 

I wish it was 'just flu' mate.

try telling that to the million odd people in the UK suffering with long COVID. 

But you know nothing about this cos your government has been wise enough to not let this get out of hand 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Glen said:

I wish it was 'just flu' mate.

But you know nothing about this cos your government has been wise enough to not let this get out of hand 

Australia covid response = timing (shutdown of airports)+ luck (not trusting China)+ living on an island (easy to cut land spread as huge landmass with population in central urban centres) + extremely compliant, heavily regulated population 

vs.

Busiest airports in the world (London and New York) + initially incompetent state government (New York) + timing/bad luck (China's duplicity) + liberty loving population resistant to draconian measures (US) and ignorant, multi-cultural population resistant to draconian measures (London) 

2 hours ago, auslander said:

Australia covid response = timing (shutdown of airports)+ luck (not trusting China)+ living on an island (easy to cut land spread as huge landmass with population in central urban centres) + extremely compliant, heavily regulated population 

vs.

Busiest airports in the world (London and New York) + initially incompetent state government (New York) + timing/bad luck (China's duplicity) + liberty loving population resistant to draconian measures (US) and ignorant, multi-cultural population resistant to draconian measures (London) 

maybe but our opposition government would argue that our government fucked up virtually every decision they made ;)

11 hours ago, Glen said:

And that is sad, as is every case of people suffering continued affects from an ailment. But let us be sure to ignore the 99%+ of people that don't suffer from this. 

13 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And that is sad, as is every case of people suffering continued affects from an ailment. But let us be sure to ignore the 99%+ of people that don't suffer from this. 

total cases in UK is 5 million - you do the maths. Sooner or later the penny will drop that this isn't 'just flu' and that you should be grateful that Australia hasn't had millions of cases.

not sure when that will be though, as since I've been posting on this site you have never changed your mind on any subject ever. ;)

Anyway I'm outta this thread now as discussions have run their course.

Hope you get your vaccine soon and things get back to normal 

2 hours ago, Glen said:

total cases in UK is 5 million - you do the maths. Sooner or later the penny will drop that this isn't 'just flu' and that you should be grateful that Australia hasn't had millions of cases.

not sure when that will be though, as since I've been posting on this site you have never changed your mind on any subject ever. ;)

Anyway I'm outta this thread now as discussions have run their course.

Hope you get your vaccine soon and things get back to normal 

Fair enough. I admit I had to google "long covid" as I've not ever heard the term outside of your posts. I'll be honest - sounds like something to talk about alongside the Delta strain to keep people in fear, but I'll take your word for it that long covid is taking the world by storm as we speak. 

I haven't called covid "just flu," but I do strongly believe that in the fullness of time it will be treated as such. It's obviously not identical to the common flu or it wouldn't have been given a new name, but I do view it as a flu-like virus that will have a similar fate to influenza and how we feel about it.

And no, my mind won't be changed on this. I would add my name to the suicide list if I decided to just readily swallow what we're fed by the media and accept it without question, when none of it makes proper sense. Not how I roll, nor will it ever be. And I still have absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that if and when there is a post-covid world, there will be vigorous investigations and confessions that conclude that we as a world, but definitely as Australians, maybe went a bit overboard with the whole thing.  

One thing we can all agree on, though, is that this discussion has run it's course. 

Our workplace has offered $50 to everyone who gets vaccinated (not kidding), so who knows, may happen sooner rather than later. Like I said, no interest in the vaccine personally, but I have completely accepted that I will never be allowed to do anything again without being vaccinated so may as well bite the bullet. Isn't freedom in a first-world nation beautiful?   

Edited by Geoff