Corona

simo

28 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

It may be old news, but I don't think it's common knowledge. 

Another excuse for the anti-vaxxers... I figure 75-80% of people will take the vaccine and those that don't are welcome to take their chances....I'm just tired of all the press the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are getting on a daily basis....it's a personal decision, make it and move on...

4 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Another excuse for the anti-vaxxers... I figure 75-80% of people will take the vaccine and those that don't are welcome to take their chances....I'm just tired of all the press the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers are getting on a daily basis....it's a personal decision, make it and move on...

If only it was that easy. The last thing on the planet I am is an anti-vaxxer. I've had all the usual vaccines, as have my children. But I've never had a flu shot and I don't take vaccines for the fun of it. If I had my way I wouldn't have this covid vaccine because I don't see it as being necessary for me whatsoever. 

But, it will not be a personal decision that I can make and move on, as I understand it. I think we're going to be required to get one for work and I am getting the impression they're going to be necessary for future overseas travel as well? I don't know... I don't know the score, but it doesn't seem like you can happily say no and move on. 

Again, my biggest fear is that the vaccine more or less doesn't change anything. The majority of the world has been so fucked up by the reaction to this thing and it's going to be so hard to undo the fear that has been drilled into the vast majority. A quick read of the Australian Government Department of Health gives no indication of things changing anytime soon, even after vaccines have been implemented. Guess they just want to keep the fear alive and well. :(

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I agree with the numbers, but the way I would put it is, 20-25% of people won't take the vaccine and those that do are welcome to take their chances,

As for it being a personal decision, it's looking less and less likely that will be the case.

Anti-vax and anti-mask are two completely different things. We're all used to Government rules. Being told we can't do something like drink driving, speeding, burglary, assault, etc or being told we have to do something like wearing seatbelts, paying taxes, wearing masks, etc. That's one thing, but being told we have to inject a substance into our bodies is on a whole other level. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

If only it was that easy. The last thing on the planet I am is an anti-vaxxer. I've had all the usual vaccines, as have my children. But I've never had a flu shot and I don't take vaccines for the fun of it. If I had my way I wouldn't have this covid vaccine because I don't see it as being necessary for me whatsoever. 

But, it will not be a personal decision that I can make and move on, as I understand it. I think we're going to be required to get one for work and I am getting the impression they're going to be necessary for future overseas travel as well? I don't know... I don't know the score, but it doesn't seem like you can happily say no and move on. 

Again, my biggest fear is that the vaccine more or less doesn't change anything. The majority of the world has been so fucked up by the reaction to this thing and it's going to be so hard to undo the fear that has been drilled into the vast majority. A quick read of the Australian Government Department of Health gives no indication of things changing anytime soon, even after vaccines have been implemented. Guess they just want to keep the fear alive and well. :(

You make a good point as it is not straightforward and simple.....but you do have a choice as the government is not going to kick in your door , hold you down and inject you.....if your job requires it then maybe you look for a new job, if needed for travel then don't travel....of course they are not the options you may want.....here in Canada I expect some employers will expect you to take the vaccine and also some countries will expect you to prove vaccination in order to enter through customs....and as I've mentioned before I expect this virus to be endemic and we will be getting vaccinations every year from now on and I base that on all the variants that are popping up so yes getting the vaccine may become a necessity in order to get back to any kind of normal and the normal we see will not look like the normal we had before this pandemic started....

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Anti-vax and anti-mask are two completely different things.

True enough...I was just making a point about the 2 groups and their irritating ,usually ludicrous and sometimes violent protests....also I would be willing to bet that both groups contain many of the same people....

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

True enough...I was just making a point about the 2 groups and their irritating ,usually ludicrous and sometimes violent protests....also I would be willing to bet that both groups contain many of the same people....

I'm curious to see what travel between the USA and Canada will look like when it happens.

I've only driven to Canada a few times but crossing the border can be a slow ordeal.If everyone has to show a card that proves they had the coronavirus vaccine it could even be longer wait to cross.

3 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

I'm curious to see what travel between the USA and Canada will look like when it happens.

I've only driven to Canada a few times but crossing the border can be a slow ordeal.If everyone has to show a card that proves they had the coronavirus vaccine it could even be longer wait to cross.

I expect you will have to prove vaccination before crossing the border at least until the majority of Canadians have been vaccinated....after that who knows, if variants become commonplace and the vaccines don't protect people then all bets are off...

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Not necessarily, it's a no for me on the vaccine, but I don't have a problem with wearing a mask.

• My Little Pony
11 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

My main concern is the lack of certainty that we'll be able to get on with our lives as usual even once we've had the vaccine. 

I'm seeing, from multiple countries, statements suggesting they might wave the mandatory two-week quarantine for visitors if they provide proof of vaccination. They might. 

I figure 75-80% of the 75-80% of people that will get vaccinated will do so under the assumption life may resume as normal. Why get the vaccine if you still have to quarantine? Still have to distance? Still have to wear a mask? Most people want the vaccine so they can stop doing those things. Yet there's no certainty the vaccine will remove the restrictions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

My main concern is the lack of certainty that we'll be able to get on with our lives as usual even once we've had the vaccine. 

I'm seeing, from multiple countries, statements suggesting they might wave the mandatory two-week quarantine for visitors if they provide proof of vaccination. They might. 

I figure 75-80% of the 75-80% of people that will get vaccinated will do so under the assumption life may resume as normal. Why get the vaccine if you still have to quarantine? Still have to distance? Still have to wear a mask? Most people want the vaccine so they can stop doing those things. Yet there's no certainty the vaccine will remove the restrictions. 

There are few guarantees in life these days...when it comes to the vaccines you almost need to make a leap of faith and hope that the vaccines will bring us back to some kind of normalcy..... quarantines, distancing and masking should hopefully become a thing of the past if the vaccines work and the variants don't become an issue.....and yes I know being positive about the future is difficult but what is the alternative.....

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I expect you will have to prove vaccination before crossing the border at least until the majority of Canadians have been vaccinated....after that who knows, if variants become commonplace and the vaccines don't protect people then all bets are off...

That'll be fall time at the earliest

17 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Not necessarily, it's a no for me on the vaccine, but I don't have a problem with wearing a mask.

Interesting. I will probably end up getting a vaccine as I believe our work place will be supplying them and we'll be more or less forced to take one. And I'll be completely against it, but I'll do it. Like I said above, I'm not against vaccines... but I am against being forced into something I don't consider necessary whatsoever. 

I despise the whole mask situation, though, and would take 10 vaccines before having this mandatory mask nonsense ever raised in discussion again. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Interesting. I will probably end up getting a vaccine as I believe our work place will be supplying them and we'll be more or less forced to take one. And I'll be completely against it, but I'll do it. Like I said above, I'm not against vaccines... but I am against being forced into something I don't consider necessary whatsoever. 

I despise the whole mask situation, though, and would take 10 vaccines before having this mandatory mask nonsense ever raised in discussion again. 

The mask issue is nothing compared to possible mandatory vaccinations, IMO.

You've gotta choose your battles.

I really couldn't care less if people choose to get vaccinated or not.
What I will say is that if you take a flu vax happily, and then say covid vax is dangerous or whatever, then you have a problem.
They are basically the same types of vaccines. yes, I know corona is not the flu, but the way the vaccines are developed and tested etc is the same. If anything, corona has undergone far far more testing that usual.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
7 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I know corona is not the flu, but the way the vaccines are developed and tested etc is the same. If anything, corona has undergone far far more testing that usual.

I don't do the flu vaccine either.

I also think this comment is very disputable mate. Completely wrong, in fact.

Edited by Darkstone

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Dispute away.

I'll start.

Coronavirus vaccines can be one of four types.
Vector vaccines, mRNA vaccines, protein subunit vaccines, and nucleic acid vaccines.
Vector, MRNA and nucleic acid vaccines act in pretty much the same way.
But in the end, they all stimulate an immune response to the antigen, the protein found on the surface of the virus

The influenza vaccine is a vector vaccine. 

But they are all put under the same rigorous testing (in this case, rigorous worldwide extreme testing, and the side effects of each are comparable to each other and also comparable to those of the traditional flu vaccine.

The Ebola vaccine is also a vector vaccine. If you're in an area full of Ebola, I would certainly suggest giving up on any vaccine phobias and take it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/vaccines/COVID-19-viral-vector-infographic_D_FINAL-508_030621.pdf

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 minute ago, CureTheSane said:

The Ebola vaccine is also a vector vaccine. If you're in an area full of Ebola, I would certainly suggest giving up on any vaccine phobias and take it.

Ha! Ebola? So that's your comparison? Seriously? 

I will continue to "dispute away" thanks mate.

Nothing personal against you, they're just my views.

What views?
All I have seen is "you're wrong" without anything to back that up.

If you want to just go with you're gut feeling, then cool, good luck.

And the ebola reference, while true, was just a fun jab, and you know it :)

• 2023 Gold Donors
10 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

What views?
All I have seen is "you're wrong" without anything to back that up.

If you want to just go with you're gut feeling, then cool, good luck.

And the ebola reference, while true, was just a fun jab, and you know it :)

Well, I could post a shit load of links disputing "your views"... and it's got nothing to do with "gut feeling".

All I have seen is that "you're wrong" in my opinion. The operative word is "opinion". We all have different ones on many subjects, including music funnily enough. 

I don't necessarily agree with certain opinions, but to claim that someone's opinion is wrong, is very arrogant and ignorant. Pull your Fucking head in and be respectful!   :)

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Ah yeah, I just realized that I called you wrong a few posts back. So take my previous post with a grain of salt.

My views still stand about respect though. 

Well, you saved me the trouble of quoting you.
Shit, I couldn't be fucked arguing about this anyway.

What I will argue about id that I was disrespectful.
All my posts are unedited.
Please quote any part of them where I disrespected you or your opinions...

Interesting album I was spinning this morning. It's not my jam at all and it'd usually have lasted a few seconds in my ears before I discarded it. But it was kind of interesting... basically just an album full of current coronavirus influenced and topical lyrics. I dunno, just found it interesting. The band is The Alarm and the album is 'WAR.' Might even appeal to a few here; 

b8-QjBGd7nICeVCjRDAPBpnGvKL-2-OyS6NuUPD5

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Well, you saved me the trouble of quoting you.
Shit, I couldn't be fucked arguing about this anyway.

What I will argue about id that I was disrespectful.
All my posts are unedited.
Please quote any part of them where I disrespected you or your opinions...

I may have over reacted to some of your comments, but just remember, it's all in the delivery mate.

I'm not gonna change your mind and you're not gonna change mine and that's cool.

I'll try to pull MY head in, in future.