Corona

simo

On 7/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Geoff said:

Fair enough. I admit I had to google "long covid" as I've not ever heard the term outside of your posts. I'll be honest - sounds like something to talk about alongside the Delta strain to keep people in fear, but I'll take your word for it that long covid is taking the world by storm as we speak. 

I haven't called covid "just flu," but I do strongly believe that in the fullness of time it will be treated as such. It's obviously not identical to the common flu or it wouldn't have been given a new name, but I do view it as a flu-like virus that will have a similar fate to influenza and how we feel about it.

And no, my mind won't be changed on this. I would add my name to the suicide list if I decided to just readily swallow what we're fed by the media and accept it without question, when none of it makes proper sense. Not how I roll, nor will it ever be. And I still have absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that if and when there is a post-covid world, there will be vigorous investigations and confessions that conclude that we as a world, but definitely as Australians, maybe went a bit overboard with the whole thing.  

One thing we can all agree on, though, is that this discussion has run it's course. 

Our workplace has offered $50 to everyone who gets vaccinated (not kidding), so who knows, may happen sooner rather than later. Like I said, no interest in the vaccine personally, but I have completely accepted that I will never be allowed to do anything again without being vaccinated so may as well bite the bullet. Isn't freedom in a first-world nation beautiful?   

I'm generally with you on many points, but it's not just a flu.
And it will never be remembered that way.
the affect it has had on society will see it remembered (rightly or wrongly) in line with the World Wars, depression, etc

Your $50 offer is lame.
In Vic we have a pot for shot promo happening, where you show you got a shot and you get a pot of beer.
Was on the news tonightm apparently Scomo is also a fan

4 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

I'm generally with you on many points, but it's not just a flu.
And it will never be remembered that way.
the affect it has had on society will see it remembered (rightly or wrongly) in line with the World Wars, depression, etc

Your $50 offer is lame.
In Vic we have a pot for shot promo happening, where you show you got a shot and you get a pot of beer.
Was on the news tonightm apparently Scomo is also a fan

You're a lucky man. I don't think we're allowed to drink beer in NSW anymore. Definitely not outside of our home, that's for sure. 

Absolutely without doubt the thing that covid will be remembered for until the end of time will be the way the world has reacted to it, and what becomes of how the world has reacted to it. 

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

You're a lucky man. I don't think we're allowed to drink beer in NSW anymore. Definitely not outside of our home, that's for sure. 

Absolutely without doubt the thing that covid will be remembered for until the end of time will be the way the world has reacted to it, and what becomes of how the world has reacted to it. 

maybe by you, but not by people in the UK & the US.

or our healthcare workers who have been through hell. 

I can't get vaccinated even if I wanted to unless I take the inferior AstraZeneca vaccine. Nope. I may have to wait until September for Phizer but that is what I will do. There are still 0 cases in my region and haven't been any since the start so I think a short wait isn't risky for me. 

5 hours ago, auslander said:

I can't get vaccinated even if I wanted to unless I take the inferior AstraZeneca vaccine. Nope. I may have to wait until September for Phizer but that is what I will do. There are still 0 cases in my region and haven't been any since the start so I think a short wait isn't risky for me. 

depends on what report you read. 

Those early Pfizer reports should be taken with a pinch of salt. Both are probably around 80-85% effective after 2 doses on average across all variants 

• 2023 Gold Donors
37 minutes ago, Glen said:

Those early Pfizer reports should be taken with a pinch of salt. Both are probably around 80-85% effective after 2 doses on average across all variants 

"a pinch of salt", 

"on average",

"variants".

Those terms (which are valid, BTW), are the reason why there is a vaccine reluctance. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Glen said:

Read this morning that the Eu looks like it isn't allowing people with AstraZeneca the same travel opportunities as those who have =had other vaccines.
The cited mainly paperwork as the reason, but it is what worried me, and the main reason I waited for Pfizer. Would rather get what is considered a better vaccine and not have to worry about shit later when trying to travel etc.
The blood clot stuff didn't worry me, happy with that risk, but I did my own researcha nd saw Pfizer as the better vaccine.
The risk I took in waiting for it to be available to me was far greater than the blood clot risk.

Anmyway, I get my first jab in 5 days, my wife has had both hers, and yet, she felt shit for a couple of days, like most people, but well worth it IMO>

46 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Yikes. Multiple vaccines with different efficacy and approvals across international borders... what could possibly go wrong?

Yep, and for this reason, Pfizer was always first choice, because America chose it and therefore it was always going to be accepted no matter what :)

10 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Yep, and for this reason, Pfizer was always first choice, because America chose it and therefore it was always going to be accepted no matter what :)

Most European countries stopped using AstraZeneca as well or limited its scope. 

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Most European countries stopped using AstraZeneca as well or limited its scope. 

Yeah Canada just gave away all of its AstraZeneca.....I could have gotten AZ early as it was the only one available at the time but I waited and ended up getting Pfizer for both shots...Moderna is acceptable too...although I would not bother with any of the others....

23 hours ago, nyoilers said:

The June figures are that 99.2 % of people who died from covid 19 in the USA weren't vaccinated

I guess my thing is I sure hope we don't have any more restrictions starting to crop back in if cases start to rise again as they currently appear to be many areas in Europe.  And I remain irritated daily with the impacts this damn thing has already caused on my daily life by raising prices of many things, shortages, delays of orders, etc.

I mean, the vaccine is available to everybody here in the USA who wants it.  What more can the Government do for people?  There's a solution out there....Take it if you want it or suffer whatever consequences you get.  

It's just silly that about half the people in the US remain unvaccinated.  They'd rather take their chances with a disease that has been proven to kill people than with a vaccine that 100 million people here have taken and have been fine with.  

I actually know somebody that was anti vaccine to the max and refused to get it.  And they wound up in the hospital for 2 weeks in poor shape with COVID.  They survived but I talked to him the and he said he wished he would've just gotten the vaccine and the rest of his family that had been holdouts has gotten vaccinated.   All I can do is shake my head as I'm sure there have been and will be plenty more like him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Read this morning that the Eu looks like it isn't allowing people with AstraZeneca the same travel opportunities as those who have =had other vaccines.
The cited mainly paperwork as the reason, but it is what worried me, and the main reason I waited for Pfizer. Would rather get what is considered a better vaccine and not have to worry about shit later when trying to travel etc.
The blood clot stuff didn't worry me, happy with that risk, but I did my own researcha nd saw Pfizer as the better vaccine.
The risk I took in waiting for it to be available to me was far greater than the blood clot risk.

Anmyway, I get my first jab in 5 days, my wife has had both hers, and yet, she felt shit for a couple of days, like most people, but well worth it IMO>

that is complete bollocks imo. I mean millions of people across the EU have had Oxford so they are just restricting their own citizens 

also some families have had a mix of both. my dad had Pfizer but mum had Oxford. Typical bloody EU to make things difficult. 

Ok, so I checked this out as I knew it must be bollocks and basically it is bollocks.

The only vaccine blocked by the EU is the small batch of AstraZeneca manufactured in India.

The UK bought 3 batches of this so a tiny % might be affected - i checked my batch numbers and I am ok. 

https://www.scotsman.com/health/what-are-astrazeneca-india-batch-numbers-and-how-to-check-them-where-was-my-astrazeneca-vaccine-made-and-is-it-covishield-3294722

This made me lol though - the arrogance of the EU is beyond belief -

"But there is no actual difference between the two AstraZeneca vaccines, with the reason behind Covishield’s lack of approval by the EU regulator being that the Serum Institute did not seek approval in the EU."

🙄😒

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

It's just silly that about half the people in the US remain unvaccinated.  They'd rather take their chances with a disease that has been proven to kill people than with a vaccine that 100 million people here have taken and have been fine with.  

Agree 100 %.

At least around here, the anti-vax sentiment appears to be less related to political ideology than I would have expected. Granted this is informal and anecdotal based upon people I have spoken with. The differentiator around here appears to be more age-related.

Young people (20s and early 30s) are choosing not to get vaccinated, but older people are.

Whatever. I've got my Moderna, and assuming I don't grow a third eye or some other horrific mutation or side effect, it's all good.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Glen said:

Ok, so I checked this out as I knew it must be bollocks and basically it is bollocks.

The only vaccine blocked by the EU is the small batch of AstraZeneca manufactured in India.

The UK bought 3 batches of this so a tiny % might be affected - i checked my batch numbers and I am ok. 

https://www.scotsman.com/health/what-are-astrazeneca-india-batch-numbers-and-how-to-check-them-where-was-my-astrazeneca-vaccine-made-and-is-it-covishield-3294722

This made me lol though - the arrogance of the EU is beyond belief -

"But there is no actual difference between the two AstraZeneca vaccines, with the reason behind Covishield’s lack of approval by the EU regulator being that the Serum Institute did not seek approval in the EU."

🙄😒

Um, so it wasn't 'bollocks' then.
Like I said, I was just recalling what I read, and even mentioned that it was something to do with paperwork.
Point is I was using this as an example of what potentially can happen.
Would not surprise me if some countries only allowed people who have had a certain shot.
Stupid, but we've seen a lot of stupid happening....

1 hour ago, heavyharmonies said:

At least around here, the anti-vax sentiment appears to be less related to political ideology than I would have expected. Granted this is informal and anecdotal based upon people I have spoken with. The differentiator around here appears to be more age-related.

Young people (20s and early 30s) are choosing not to get vaccinated, but older people are.

Whatever. I've got my Moderna, and assuming I don't grow a third eye or some other horrific mutation or side effect, it's all good.

Give it some time. You might end up looking like cyclops. :rofl2:

3 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Um, so it wasn't 'bollocks' then.
Like I said, I was just recalling what I read, and even mentioned that it was something to do with paperwork.
Point is I was using this as an example of what potentially can happen.
Would not surprise me if some countries only allowed people who have had a certain shot.
Stupid, but we've seen a lot of stupid happening....

Well it is bollocks because the main AstraZeneca vaccine programme is approved by the EU. This is just a minute % which came out of India.

You do what you must tho :)

3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

it they choose not to get vaccinated they won't be doing much for the next year

sad but true 

5 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Everyone with pre-existing conditions, everyone in poor health, everyone over 40 should get vaccinated....I can understand the rest not giving a shit as I would not bother to get vaccinated if I was in my 20s....

16 hours ago, Glen said:

Well it is bollocks because the main AstraZeneca vaccine programme is approved by the EU. This is just a minute % which came out of India.

You do what you must tho :)

See now, that's weird to me.
Read my original post, I was merely mentioning what I had read in passing through the internet (the home page when logging into my web based email)
But you seem to want to turn it into a who is right/wrong.

I really don't give a toss how accurate or important it is, but I mentioned it as i thought this kind of stuff would start happening.

You went into a state of outrage and disbelief, then became detective Glen, obviously saw what I had mentioned, then went into defence mode "let me yell you how it is"

OK, but I find that a weird way to live...

We are entering lockdown #5 in 2 hours.
because some fuckers from Geoff's state did the wrong thing and travelled covid all around our state.
Fuck you New South Welshmen :)

But damn, we have like 8 cases, and full lockdown for 5 days.
But it's never been what they said at the start and will drag on, and then we have a couple of months of very gradual easing (no masks outdoors, extend travel limit to 10km, then no masks in the workplace, 15% capacity at sporting venues and pubs, etc, etc)