Corona

simo

• 2 months later...

Here we go again, Victoria, Australia are back, to lock down again. The powers of be haven't decide if  regional areas are going be lock down as yet.

• My Little Pony

Apparently there's a 4-step plan in place where I live. We are permitted to have gatherings up to 5 now. These numbers are so fucking arbitrary. First it was 6, then it was 10, and now 5?

Masks will no longer be mandatory in July. They'll be recommended. In September they will be up to your personal choice. Which is the same thing, isn't it?

Our travel ban has been lifted. It was really only in place for our May long weekend. Our police didn't want to comply, so they posted on their Twitter when and where the road blocks would be, so you could avoid them. 

And I think restaurants are allowed indoor dining, now. First they were closed. Then opened with "safety protocols" in place, so they removed 50% of their tables, and spent thousands on plexiglass barriers. And then they were shut down, again. And then opened but only if they had a patio. Suddenly every restaurant had a patio. But nearly every patio was only accessible from inside, so you still had to walk through the building. 

So much fucking sense has been made during this "pandemic." All the fucking sense. Every. Fucking. Sense!

I had my first vaccine shot a couple weeks ago with the 2nd due in August....105 days after the first because the politicians say it is okay!!....of course if there is enough vaccine available they will move the dates up as much as possible and THAT WILL BE OKAY TOO.....what a load of shit....I fucking hate politicians that can't tell you the truth and that is that we are supposed to get the 2nd shot within 8 weeks of the first......

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 5/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, Dead Planet said:

I had my first vaccine shot a couple weeks ago with the 2nd due in August....105 days after the first because the politicians say it is okay!!....of course if there is enough vaccine available they will move the dates up as much as possible and THAT WILL BE OKAY TOO.....what a load of shit....I fucking hate politicians that can't tell you the truth and that is that we are supposed to get the 2nd shot within 8 weeks of the first......

USA is shipping the vax to Canada

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 5/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

So much fucking sense has been made during this "pandemic." All the fucking sense. Every. Fucking. Sense!

You seemed very stressed out.

You need to get a grip !

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of dudes here may know I don't mind taking a photo or two. Took a couple of photos around Australia today-

will ferrell panic GIF

Panic Button Netflix GIF by NailedIt

Text Street GIF

A few bullet points I just saw on a new update which drives me insane-

No local cases in South Australia, but a mass of restrictions being enforced asap. No cases in the state. 

Perth being put into lockdown following 3 cases in the state.

Sydney and all surrounding areas in full lockdown  - masks mandatory in the rest of the state of NSW for I think it's up to 112 cases now? In a state of millions. 

Police and army being rounded up in Victoria to enforce fines of up to $5000 for anyone not abiding by hard restrictions. 

Fuck knows what the other states are doing, but it's official. A country I have loved for 40 years, I now despise. I am embarrassed to be Australian at the moment and absolutely hate what this place has become.

On the weekend just passed I had a little getaway into the mountainous regions just outside Sydney planned for months. A little overnight camping road trip thing - first time in 8 years, since my boy was born. I head out there on Saturday morning and wife sends a message on Saturday night alerting me that we're all in lockdown. Obviously no way I was heading back on the Saturday night, but it weighs on my mind all of Sunday as I'm trekking through the mountains in a place where I see four people all day and nothing but wilderness, but knowing how fucked up this place has become, I cut my trip short and headed home five hours earlier than planned. I know it's completely trivial in the scheme of things, but it amplified how much I absolutely hate where I live right now. Alone in the mountains where I know I won't see a human, and where all common sense tells me to stay, I let the situation influence my decision and I go home. And as Australians we now know exactly what this oppression we hear in the news feels like. We are being forced by our government and these cunty "health experts" to live a shitful existence, with absolutely no end in sight. I believe this is what they call existing, not living. For info, outside of my little bubble, the lockdown falls on the second day of school holidays too. So everyone has had just enough time to make it to their holiday destination on the Saturday morning, before lockdown hits on Saturday night and everyone's got to go home.   

All this fucking idiotic talk about vaccines... but what are the vaccinated people doing now? Yes, they are wearing masks in the shower and they're in lockdown just like the rest of us. Getting vaccinated won't stop anyone getting or spreading covid, so is this Australia for the rest of my life? Masks and hard lockdowns every time a few people test positive to covid?

Sorry for the rant... just can't get a handle on what is actually happening here and how accustomed so many have seemingly become to the "new norm." Masks and lockdowns until the end of time! For so many decades I felt so privileged to be born and raised in Australia - and now I just fucking hate the place. 

Hope you're all faring better wherever you're at. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, Dead Planet said:

Well I was right they moved the dates up because they miraculously came up with the vaccine shots....had my 2nd shot June 24....

57 minutes ago, Geoff said:

No local cases in South Australia, but a mass of restrictions being enforced asap. No cases in the state. 

Sydney and all surrounding areas in full lockdown  - masks mandatory in the rest of the state of NSW for I think it's up to 112 cases now? In a state of millions. 

Police and army being rounded up in Victoria to enforce fines of up to $5000 for anyone not abiding by hard restrictions. 

Fuck knows what the other states are doing, but it's official. A country I have loved for 40 years, I now despise. I am embarrassed to be Australian at the moment and absolutely hate what this place has become.

On the weekend just passed I had a little getaway into the mountainous regions just outside Sydney planned for months. A little overnight camping road trip thing - first time in 8 years, since my boy was born. I head out there on Saturday morning and wife sends a message on Saturday night alerting me that we're all in lockdown. Obviously no way I was heading back on the Saturday night, but it weighs on my mind all of Sunday as I'm trekking through the mountains in a place where I see four people all day and nothing but wilderness, but knowing how fucked up this place has become, I cut my trip short and headed home five hours earlier than planned. I know it's completely trivial in the scheme of things, but it amplified how much I absolutely hate where I live right now. Alone in the mountains where I know I won't see a human, and where all common sense tells me to stay, I let the situation influence my decision and I go home. And as Australians we now know exactly what this oppression we hear in the news feels like. We are being forced by our government and these cunty "health experts" to live a shitful existence, with absolutely no end in sight. I believe this is what they call existing, not living. For info, outside of my little bubble, the lockdown falls on the second day of school holidays too. So everyone has had just enough time to make it to their holiday destination on the Saturday morning, before lockdown hits on Saturday night and everyone's got to go home.   

All this fucking idiotic talk about vaccines... but what are the vaccinated people doing now? Yes, they are wearing masks in the shower and they're in lockdown just like the rest of us. Getting vaccinated won't stop anyone getting or spreading covid, so is this Australia for the rest of my life? Masks and hard lockdowns every time a few people test positive to covid?

Sorry for the rant... just can't get a handle on what is actually happening here and how accustomed so many have seemingly become to the "new norm." Masks and lockdowns until the end of time! For so many decades I felt so privileged to be born and raised in Australia - and now I just fucking hate the place. 

I just checked and Google says the fully vaccinated rate in Australia is 4.8% which is rather low so I'm not surprised that politicians are panicking...because to be clear if they do nothing and covid spreads rapidly and the death rate jumps to levels seen in most countries around the world then those politicians would be blamed for every death and could forget about re-election....so does it suck right now to be under restrictions in Australia?...yes... but Australia has been one of the safest and most fortunate countries in the world when it comes to consequences of this pandemic so suck it up and get everyone vaccinated so things can get back to some semblance of normal ....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

I just checked and Google says the fully vaccinated rate in Australia is 4.8% which is rather low so I'm not surprised that politicians are panicking...because to be clear if they do nothing and covid spreads rapidly and the death rate jumps to levels seen in most countries around the world then those politicians would be blamed for every death and could forget about re-election....so does it suck right now to be under restrictions in Australia?...yes... but Australia has been one of the safest and most fortunate countries in the world when it comes to consequences of this pandemic so suck it up and get everyone vaccinated so things can get back to some semblance of normal ....

UK was down to a few hundred cases per day and fucked up again by not restricting fast enough on this delta variant. Now back up to like 15000 a day and deaths increasing again. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

That's absolutely nuts!

I got the lockdown business at the beginning of this thing because it was new and we needed time to process what was going on and not have healthcare systems get overrun.  

But here is the US for example, there is basically enough vaccine out there for everybody that wants it (even though only about half have gotten it).  And at least in my neck of the woods, there's only like 3 active bases in the Counties surrounding me which is basically nothing.

Basically, I'm to the point where everything should be full go with zero restrictions (at least in most of the US).  People know what they need to do.  If they don't want to get vaccinated and want to run the risk of COVID for themselves or their families, then that's their choice that they've made.  I mean, early in this pandemic people had no choice.  They had no protection against this so I get the Government stepping in to try and protect people.  But now there's plenty of choice.  As they say, you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. 

I feel like in most places is time (and probably way past time) for the Government to be stepping back and letting people live with the choices they've made.  And I'm seeing just that in many areas around me as it seems like everywhere I go stuff is fully open. 

I'm sure we'll run into issues again though because so many people have refused vaccination and I doubt we've seen the end of restrictions.  They'll probably be back in place as the winter rolls around.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

That's absolutely nuts!

I got the lockdown business at the beginning of this thing because it was new and we needed time to process what was going on and not have healthcare systems get overrun.  

But here is the US for example, there is basically enough vaccine out there for everybody that wants it (even though only about half have gotten it).  And at least in my neck of the woods, there's only like 3 active bases in the Counties surrounding me which is basically nothing.

Basically, I'm to the point where everything should be full go with zero restrictions (at least in most of the US).  People know what they need to do.  If they don't want to get vaccinated and want to run the risk of COVID for themselves or their families, then that's their choice that they've made.  I mean, early in this pandemic people had no choice.  They had no protection against this so I get the Government stepping in to try and protect people.  But now there's plenty of choice.  As they say, you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. 

I feel like in most places is time (and probably way past time) for the Government to be stepping back and letting people live with the choices they've made.  And I'm seeing just that in many areas around me as it seems like everywhere I go stuff is fully open. 

I'm sure we'll run into issues again though because so many people have refused vaccination and I doubt we've seen the end of restrictions.  They'll probably be back in place as the winter rolls around.

50% take up is madness. What a bunch of morons. Main reason why this keeps dragging on. Just get vaccinated ffs 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tts42572 said:

That's absolutely nuts!

If we in Australia had 3 cases we'd shut the borders for 6 weeks and force everyone to remain in their homes. Then our hysterical media would start interviewing hysterical health experts about the performance of hysterical politicians so the hysterical public can keep hyperventilating. Everyone in Australia lives in fear of their own shadows. We already had the most restrictive and regulated country in the world and now it has become a giant prison. I am lucky though as I am introverted so lockdowns don't bother me much other than hatred of people telling me I can't be free.

Edited by auslander
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tts42572 said:

That's absolutely nuts!

Jeez I love to see words of common sense to know there is still some out there, rare as it is these days. 100% agree. We've had 18 months with this thing now and it is not something new and unknown. There is a vaccine for those who want it (and soon enough for the rest of us, whether we like it or not) and if we haven't acknowledged by now that it's not going away and it's something we need to learn to live with, what's the point in any of it? 

6 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I don't think anyone here is dying to get vaccinated that can't get vaccinated. I hear about the shortage and slow rollout and so on, but far as I know, most people I am aware of that want to be vaccinated have been vaccinated. Certainly the most vulnerable would probably most likely all have been vaccinated. My point is that whilst you think we're aiming to get things back to normal, I don't think that's the case here at all. There is a panicked frenzy in the government and media every time a case pops up anywhere and I don't think that changes any time in the foreseeable future, vaccine or not. These morons are aiming for 0 cases in Australia, as if it is something to still strive for. If they haven't figured it out in the last 18 months, why should we hope for common sense any time soon?

12 minutes ago, auslander said:

If we in Australia had 3 cases we'd shut the borders for 6 weeks and force everyone to remain in their homes. Then our hysterical media would start interviewing hysterical health experts about the performance of hysterical politicians so the hysterical public can keep hyperventilating. Everyone in Australia lives in fear of their own shadows. We already had the most restrictive and regulated country in the world and now it has become a giant prison. I am lucky though as I am introverted so lockdowns don't bother me much other than hatred of people telling me I can't be free.

It's funny seeing outsiders tell us how lucky we have it without understanding what is actually happening here. 100% agree with your take on the government and media. It is full blown hysteria and panic for every single case and you can see what it's done to people. I know people personally, hanging on every word the media says, and it's heartbreaking. They are just petrified to be alive at the moment. Seeing people in cars or walking empty streets in masks is just part of the scenery now. So many people have been turned into panic-stricken idiots just waiting for the next government directive.

The government say how they're trying to keep us safe with absolutely zero consideration of what this is actually doing to everyone. Remember before all this covid garbage that "mental health" used to be worldwide buzzword?  

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

It's funny seeing outsiders tell us how lucky we have it without understanding what is actually happening here. 100% agree with your take on the government and media. It is full blown hysteria and panic for every single case and you can see what it's done to people. I know people personally, hanging on every word the media says, and it's heartbreaking. They are just petrified to be alive at the moment. Seeing people in cars or walking empty streets in masks is just part of the scenery now. So many people have been turned into panic-stricken idiots just waiting for the next government directive.

The government say how they're trying to keep us safe with absolutely zero consideration of what this is actually doing to everyone. Remember before all this covid garbage that "mental health" used to be worldwide buzzword?  

I remember pointing this out to a panic prone relative who was convinced the angry sun god would come and fry us all to a crisp unless we followed the teachings of the high priestess Greta.

When the pandemic started I told her, this is gonna kick the sun god off the news for a while, you watch. The media are a tool used to make the public remain in fear. It used to be Religion and famine/plague. Now it is global warming / sun god and the pandemic. 

And look what happens if anyone dares to question either of these existential threats or even people's reaction to them! Just the same as what happened throughout history - ruination, ridicule and using the State as a means of enforcement.

Everyone lives in FEAR. 

4 minutes ago, auslander said:

And look what happens if anyone dares to question either of these existential threats or even people's reaction to them! Just the same as what happened throughout history - ruination, ridicule and using the State as a means of enforcement.

Yeah, that is a sad development indeed. No room for a a different point of view in 2021. Either you follow the narrative or you're a selfish piece of shit ruining it for everyone else. 

33 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Jeez I love to see words of common sense to know there is still some out there, rare as it is these days. 100% agree. We've had 18 months with this thing now and it is not something new and unknown. There is a vaccine for those who want it (and soon enough for the rest of us, whether we like it or not) and if we haven't acknowledged by now that it's not going away and it's something we need to learn to live with, what's the point in any of it? 

I don't think anyone here is dying to get vaccinated that can't get vaccinated. I hear about the shortage and slow rollout and so on, but far as I know, most people I am aware of that want to be vaccinated have been vaccinated. Certainly the most vulnerable would probably most likely all have been vaccinated. My point is that whilst you think we're aiming to get things back to normal, I don't think that's the case here at all. There is a panicked frenzy in the government and media every time a case pops up anywhere and I don't think that changes any time in the foreseeable future, vaccine or not. These morons are aiming for 0 cases in Australia, as if it is something to still strive for. If they haven't figured it out in the last 18 months, why should we hope for common sense any time soon?

Well if there is plenty of vaccine to go around and the majority of people aren't interested in taking it then the consequences are on their heads....the point I was trying to make is that if they wait to put in restrictions before most people are vaccinated then Australia will have a serious issue with the virus....because you will never be safe from it and have 0 cases....

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, that is a sad development indeed. No room for a a different point of view in 2021. Either you follow the narrative or you're a selfish piece of shit ruining it for everyone else. 

yeah on the flipside of all this I see today that the delightful UK is back up to 25000 cases a day cos our piece of shit government didn't lockdown fast enough following this shitty Delta variant popping up in the UK. 

it pisses me off tbh. 

Every extra death is on their hands.

and to think 2 weeks ago we were in the hundreds.