Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild

Stefan

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Don't see what the fuss is about. It's a pretty poor year so it seems quite good but this is pretty average generic stuff with a couple of highlights.  

average generic stuff? Yes it's been a poor year but this album is v good. I'd say slightly under Ruff Justice but it's way better than most stuff last year imo. 

43 minutes ago, Glen said:

average generic stuff? Yes it's been a poor year but this album is v good. I'd say slightly under Ruff Justice but it's way better than most stuff last year imo. 

Generic?  LOL  I really can't stop laughing!

16 hours ago, PeterS said:

Don't see what the fuss is about. It's a pretty poor year so it seems quite good but this is pretty average generic stuff with a couple of highlights.  

Man, I agree with your overall observation, except of Crazy Lixx and  Gathering Of Kings. 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:33 AM, zacharyamelie said:

You’d prefer more of a debut Skid Row opposed to a Slippery When Wet era Bon Jovi in the sound?

In a sense, yeah. The "glossy" production sound does suit them, but you can have a "glossy" sound with balls too. 

The band has changed their themes, songwriting and production on almost every album. 

The debut sounded like a debut with meh production and some decent songs. 

My Religion showed us they could copy styles from the 80’s legendary acts....the first 5 tracks on that one still blow me away nearly 10 years later.

They then took a dark turn and tried to go sleazy with some awful production on Riot Avenue. 

The follow up had some highlights but to me ended being fairly forgettable.

Ruff Justice went 80’s Horror film themed. It was slick, glossy and spectacular. 

Wild Frontier is just as glossy with a Top Gun/Iron Eagle 80’s theme. I much prefer the ballad on this one than the one on Ruff Justice....but both releases are very similar in sound. 

Give me the last two releases and the first half of My Religion and you have one of the best bands around.

5 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

The band has changed their themes, songwriting and production on almost every album. 

My Religion showed us they could copy styles from the 80’s legendary acts....the first 5 tracks on that one still blow me away nearly 10 years later.

They then took a dark turn and tried to go sleazy with some awful production on Riot Avenue. 

Ruff Justice went 80’s Horror film themed. It was slick, glossy and spectacular. 

Wild Frontier is just as glossy with a Top Gun/Iron Eagle 80’s theme. I much prefer the ballad on this one than the one on Ruff Justice....but both releases are very similar in sound. 

Give me the last two releases and the first half of My Religion and you have one of the best bands around.

Yep...Well said.

I just think they've embraced what works for them.

What's impressed me a bit is listening to Danny Rexon on some of the recent live Q & A videos he's done.  He's very clear about who his influences are and how the band has settled into embracing those influences.  They've figured out what sound works for them and they've embraced it with flying colors on these past two releases.

They were a band I used to be pretty lukewarm on.  I mean, I liked New Religion quite a bit, but Riot Avenue sort of took them off my radar.  Then the self titled album was pretty good but didn't overly blow me away.  At that point they were a band I liked but if I were listing my favorite bands they would've been a bit of an after thought.

These last two releases though have really bumped this band up on my list and they would probably be in my top 3 current bands now.

Pretty amazing journey with all the band member changes and given that they were seemingly close to closing up shop a few years ago.  I give Danny Rexon a lot of credit for plugging along and having the vision to guide the band in the direction they've went.

7 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

yep I pretty much agree with most of that.

to me it's more the stripped back style of Riot Avenue people disliked. The album sounds great just stripped back. People confuse production with style. 

Personally I love the last 2 albums. Just excellent anthemic rock.  20 great songs, no filler in sight. 

a few spins in now. 

pretty much love it right through. Did I read a negative comment on Terminal Velocity? Freakin melodic gem imo.

Still can't quite put my finger on what Eagle reminds me of?? really familiar.

Anyhow, great album :)

“Eagle” reminds me of Reckless Love’s “Fantasy” in the groove and pace. 

“She’s Wearing Yesterday’s Face” sounds like something H.E.A.T. would record with today’s lineup. 

My favs are
It's You
Silent Thunder
Yesterdays Face
Wicked
Break Out
Weekend Lover
But not a bad/skippable song on it!

19 hours ago, Glen said:

pretty much love it right through. Did I read a negative comment on Terminal Velocity? Freakin melodic gem imo.

Yep, that'd be me. Banal tune with the super basic melody matching the super stupid... I mean basic lyrics. 

Only song I don't enjoy on an otherwise great album. 

24 minutes ago, Glen said:

I love the tune 

Yep...Me too.

Really love every tune on it.  If I had to pick my least favorite song, it would probably just be Love Don't Live Here Anymore.  That's still a solid tune though and not one I consider skipping.

Just a fantastic album that will be very tough to beat for my #1 album this year.  I'm sure the Defiants and Eclipse will make a run at it but it's going to take a monster effort to top this one.

21 hours ago, Glen said:

PS are the lyrics any more stupid than Silent Thunder lol ;)

That's the second stupidest tune on the album... but it's a better song, imo. ;)

It's certainly not re-inventing the wheel, so I can understand Peter's 'Generic' comment to be fair and over all I prefer 'Ruff Justice' , but it is a good and enjoyable album.

43 minutes ago, Jez said:

It's certainly not re-inventing the wheel, so I can understand Peter's 'Generic' comment to be fair and over all I prefer 'Ruff Justice' , but it is a good and enjoyable album.

Yup not as good as Ruff Justice. Nice album though.

3 hours ago, Jez said:

I don't want them to re-invent the wheel. just keep on recording 80s inspired great melodic rock records .

• Like 1

:agree: with Glen...to me that's a no-brainer

Ruff Justice is a great album...but so is this

Edited by lettard

On 5/25/2019 at 5:16 PM, Glen said:

I don't want them to re-invent the wheel. just keep on recording 80s inspired great melodic rock records .

Agree 100%