Facebook vs. messageboards

66 mustang

I don't have facebook so I'm just going by browsing facebook, but it seems messageboards are a lot better for debate and discussion. Facebook is more of what you may text someone or thinking you are so important that everyone wants to know what you are eating for dinner, where you are eating. what time you got up or a bunch of other stuff.

just my opinion by looking around.

Messageboards you seem to have more meaniful discussions and debates. more in depth stuff.

Edit: the way this read after I re-read it I must rework some stuff. I do see how facebook does / can have it's good points.

Edited by 66 mustang

I do both and have great arguments and discussions on both. I've debated music and sports non stop on FB since I've been on there but there are certain things I might not say on there that I would say here just because there are certain friends and family on FB that maybe wouldn't appreciate a certain topic or conversation that I can say on here or other message boards.

I prefer messageboards - facebook is okay keeping in touch with folks a bit and keeping tabs on obscure bands haha!

I was on the point of dumping it because I don't spend much time on it and I wasn't keen on this timeline crap. But for some reason it doesn't look like mine has a time line.

The only time I've ever really commented on Facebook is on photos or in private messages. Never even thought of really using those public things. In other words, it's not even a consideration for me that I'd discuss music on FB instead of here. Photography and music are the only things on the net I visit message boards for (and just one site for each) and that's all I need. FB is just there 'cause my wife set it up for me. ;)

Discussing music: 99% message boards (i.e. this one) 1% Facebook

Discussing football: 98% message boards, 2% Facebook

Keeping in touch with friends I don't see very often: 100% Facebook

Checking out new bands: 30% message boards, 40% Youtube, 25% Myspace, 5% Facebook

Something like that anyway.

I prefer messageboards - facebook is okay keeping in touch with folks a bit and keeping tabs on obscure bands haha!

I was on the point of dumping it because I don't spend much time on it and I wasn't keen on this timeline crap. But for some reason it doesn't look like mine has a time line.

Backed !!

I don't have a FB and can't say I will.

As mentioned earlier the constant updates on the "non" stuff you are doing irritates me to no end. I mean c'mon I could care less how much corn is in your shit and it makes me dislike you all the more that you thought ANYONE would care about it. :)

If I need to get in touch with someone I'll give them a call.

I suspect FB would be a great place to troll for snatch however...

Facebook is great for the band promotion, gigs etc and catching up with friends and talking shit in general (which I do alot)

Only one place to talk music and that's here. :headbanger:

Facebook all the way

Checking out new bands: 30% message boards, 40% Youtube, 25% Myspace, 5% Facebook

Interesting here's mine -

Discussing music: 75% HH, 19% Facebook, 1% face to face, 5% text

Discussing football : 1% HH, 0% Facebook, 99% face to face

Keeping in touch with friends I dont see very often : 25% facebook, 25% phone, 50% text

Checking out new bands: 50% HH, 40% facebook, 10% you tube, 0% Myspace

Well Facebook has certainly put pay to many a message board. As for all the crap update on FB, you can determine what you see and if you install FB Purity you can remove a whole host of other crap like adverts, the ticker tape news feed etc.

Keeping in touch with friends I dont see very often : 25% facebook, 25% phone, 50% text

This is fun:

Discussing music: 100% HH, 0% Facebook, 0% face to face, 0% text

Discussing football : 0% HH, 0% Facebook, 50% face to face, 50% emails to my brothers

Keeping in touch with friends I dont see very often : 100% facebook (which equates to a pm ever 2-3 months), 0% phone, 0% text

Checking out new bands: 90% HH, 0% facebook, 0% you tube, 0% Myspace, 10% random music download sites

This is fun:

Discussing music: 100% HH, 0% Facebook, 0% face to face, 0% text

Discussing football : 0% HH, 0% Facebook, 50% face to face, 50% emails to my brothers

Keeping in touch with friends I dont see very often : 100% facebook (which equates to a pm ever 2-3 months), 0% phone, 0% text

Checking out new bands: 90% HH, 0% facebook, 0% you tube, 0% Myspace, 10% random music download sites

Actually I need to change this one -

Checking out new bands: 50% HH, 30% facebook, 10% you tube, 0% Myspace, 10% Spotify

• 5 months later...
  • My Little Pony

Facebook is great for the band promotion, gigs etc and catching up with friends and talking shit in general (which I do alot)

Only one place to talk music and that's here. :headbanger:

:agree:

I don't even know how to talk about music to people either than in this format. Some guy approached me yesterday and said, "KIX. Best album? Blow My Fuse?" (I was wearing my KIX tee) and I was like, "Eh? Umm, yeah." It just catches me off guard anytime somebody knows anything about this style of music.

I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't!!!!!!!

What, dammit?!! Shouldn't what?!!!

I'll browse the wife's facebook stuff and send my sisters a message now and again. I so want to comment on some of the stupid stuff people say on there but since it isn't my account I keep my mouth shut. If I would make my own facebook page I would just be a smarta@@ and get in trouble on occasion. too tempting but I do see some of the really good points of Facebook.

The political views are whats killing me on facebook.

Amen brother.