Best albums of 2023

• My Little Pony
1 minute ago, heavyharmonies said:

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened... there is a late-year monumental shift in Dan's Top 5 for 2023. A new contender has entered the fray.

This late?

53 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened... there is a late-year monumental shift in Dan's Top 5 for 2023. A new contender has entered the fray.

FB_IMG_1703981523646.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

I knew you'd have to get Taylor Swift in there somehow :P

Fuck, I'm shit at the best of the year polls.

I'm still getting through a backlog from 2022.

Time has been a killer, even though I started walking to and from work (about an album each way), I'm still behind.

One that springs to mind is Eclipse an probs the most solid.

Also...

Station

First signal

Midnight City

Ronnie Atkins

Extreme

Probably more to list but overseas and can't access my library. If I listed more, some would likely be 2022 or even earlier lol

• Like 1

I bought less new albums this year due to playing catch up on albums I missed out on over 2021/2022 during the whole cancer treatment thing, and just not having the money (plus I discovered a band and bought their back catalogue).

I have a top five, but due to the whole catch up thing, my actual top top album of the year is a 2022 release.

My top five in order are:

1: Sophie Lloyd - Imposter syndrome
2: Alice Cooper - Road
3: Midnite City - In at the deep end
4: Cassidy Paris - New Sensation
5: Tragedy - I am woman

Sophie Lloyd took top spot as it came totally out of nowhere for me expectation wise, and I just could not stop playing it for weeks and still playing it now.
Alice Cooper has produced great album after great album in the last decade, but this one was even better, beaten only by Welcome 2 my nightmare for my favourite modern Alice album.
Midnite City was just absolute melodic bliss, and for me is actually better than the last album.
Cassidy Paris is actually a surprise to me that it's on the list as initially I was not blown away by it, but after repeated spins it really dug its claws in me. While not on every track, I do think the writing talents of Paul Laine helped immensely.
Tragedy, I just love their stuff. There were albums that it was touch and go with on the 5th spot, but I just enjoyed this more.

My top album of the year though and the one that drove me to buying their entire back catalogue is ...
Ghost - Impera

What an album. I had never heard Ghost prior to their duet with Joe Elliot on Spillways, but that song blew me away and all my preconceptions of Ghost went out the window. I picked up Impera early in the year and it stayed on rotation for several months and still gets random plays. I picked up their whole back catalogue and the Phantomime EP and while none of the other albums actually comes close to Impera, there is enough great shit on all of their albums and I love the variation in their material.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:
My top album of the year though and the one that drove me to buying their entire back catalogue is ...
Ghost - Impera

What an album. I had never heard Ghost prior to their duet with Joe Elliot on Spillways, but that song blew me away and all my preconceptions of Ghost went out the window. I picked up Impera early in the year and it stayed on rotation for several months and still gets random plays. I picked up their whole back catalogue and the Phantomime EP and while none of the other albums actually comes close to Impera, there is enough great shit on all of their albums and I love the variation in their material.

see them live, they are immense. 

My fav is actually Meliora but all the last 3 are equally excellent imo. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

see them live, they are immense. 

My fav is actually Meliora but all the last 3 are equally excellent imo. 

Obvs as I only got into them in the early part of last year they have not toured here since, but will defo go see them live when they do come over as the videos I have seen of them live are amazing.

My favs of 2023 in no particular order...apart from maybe the top 3 :P

Nitrate - Feel The Heat

Midnite City - In At The Deepend

The Defiants - Drive

Degreed - Public Address

Alice Cooper - Road

Temple Balls - Avalanche

Kent Hilli - Nothing Left To Loose

Eclipse - Megalomanium

Vega - Battlelines

Station - And Time Goes On

Extreme - Six

Black Star Riders - Wrong Side Of Paradise

Mentions too for others I enjoyed 

First Signal, Robby Valentine, Tempt, Dirty Honey, Creye, Gunshine, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Wings Of Steel, Atack ,Hugos Voyage, Gunship, Black Stone Cherry, Overland, Brian Durbin & Gunshines E.P

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

My top 5 list of 2023

1. Metallica-72 Seasons

2. Avenged Sevenfold-Life Is But A Dream...

3. The Defiants-Drive

4.  L.A. Guns-Black Diamonds

5. Dokken- Heaven Comes Down

• Like 1

My top 5:

1. Creye - III: Weightless
2. Nuclear Power Trio - Wet Ass Plutonium
3. Angel Vivaldi - Away with Words, Pt. 2
4. ModX - Secrets
5. Andy James - Fury from Above

My list would likely be quite different if I had more time with the likes of Tempt, the Defiants, Temple Balls, Crowne, Hugo, Overland, Midnite City, etc., as I only got to really listen to a lot of these albums once or twice and then stuck with the songs that I liked the first time around.
I was excited about Ronnie Atkins, Arctic Rain, Ammotrack, Masaki, Bonafide and a few others that I admittedly never even got to, also.

• Like 1

I previously listed Extreme's "Six." Not sure if I also included - would add into the mix, Metallica's "72 Seasons" and Mammoth WVH's "II." 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:53 AM, tts42572 said:

Feeling like my list is pretty well set this year unless I discover something over the next couple weeks.

For me, 

1.  Temple Balls - Avalanche

2.  Midnite City - In At The Deep End

3.  Station - And Time Goes By

4.  Tempt - S/T

5.  Defiants - Drive

6.  Eclipse - Megalomanium

Not really much beyond that I spend a lot of time with or that really grabbed me.  However, even though it came out 5 years ago, one of my most listened to albums this year according to my spotify list is Godsmack's When Legends Rise so that probably should get an honorable mention since it was really a new discovery for me this year.  In reality, I'd probably put it 3rd on my list above if I included it. 

If I were picking a top 5 songs, probably would be:

1.  19 Summertime - Defiants

2.  Someday - Midnite City

3.  Trap - Temple Balls

4.  Camouflage - Tempt

5.  If You Want Me Too - Station

Pretty decent year overall for my tastes.  We'll see what next year brings.  As of now, I think my most anticipated album is probably Kissin' Dynamite as they recently announced a new album will be out sometime in 2024.

I have to make an edit to my year end list.

After seeing some other year end lists, I happened upon giving the new album from Black Stone Cherry a listen after seeing a couple people with some similar tastes post about it.  I've never once listened to these guys before but really digging this new album and have basically had it on repeat the past week....just some solid modern melodic rock with some edge to it.  It kind of reminds me of the When Legends Rise album from Godsmack that I got into quite a bit after listening to it this year.  Maybe I'm just in the mood to hear something a little different lately, IDK.

Anyways, my "final" list now:   

1.  Temple Balls - Avalanche

2.  Midnite City - In At The Deep End

3.  Black Stone Cherry - Screamin' At The Sky

4.  Station - And Time Goes By

5.  Tempt - S/T

6.  Defiants - Drive

7.  Eclipse - Megalomanium

• Like 2

Its definitely a real return to form for them(Black Stone Cherry) after a couple of (for me) sub par efforts , I'm a big fan of their Black To Blues albums(E.Ps) particularly Volume one....seen em a few times first was opening for Def Leppard in Belfast in 2008( abig plus for me them being one of very few bands they actually always come here no matter the size of venue) they where here at the Limelight in Belfast in September supporting this new release...excellent they were too.

Edited by lettard

14 hours ago, Kristian said:

As I mentioned, I have a lot to catch up on, but my top 5 so far looks something like this:

From Ashes to New - Blackout

Ronnie Atkins - Trinity

Boys from Heaven - The Descendant

Enforcer - Nostalgia

Temple Balls - Avalanche

'Sailing On' from the Boys In Heaven album has to be the most pure 80's AOR song of 2023, I must say. When that incredible hook kicks in it's pure bliss. It's a nice album, but major praise for that song particularly. All class. 

For anyone who missed it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiIJJNS3a0

As for a best of list, I'm on the middle weekend of two separate weeks away with the kids, but when I get back I want to give this a fair crack. Haven't really looked at or updated my list whatsoever, so just going to need to rely on my ratings through the year. Hope to get a list up either very late this week, or next week. 

• My Little Pony
On 1/5/2024 at 5:20 AM, tts42572 said:

I happened upon giving the new album from Black Stone Cherry a listen after seeing a couple people with some similar tastes post about it.  I've never once listened to these guys before but really digging this new album

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea is another great album from them, and is the only one I've really invested time into. I should check out this new one. 

• Like 2

By Daniel Punisher

Top 10
Supremacy
Jelusick
Nitrate
The Defiants
CREYE
Chris Rosander
StreetLight
Overland
Tempt
GrandVille
Top 20
Thomas Lassar
House of Shakira
Degreed
Art Nation
Seventh Crystal
Eclipse
ModX
Trevor Rabin
Boys from heaven
Stardust
Top 30
Neil Blade
Sam Millar
Station
Vitalines
The Runaway Wild
Exit Stage Left
Temple Balls
Hurricanes
Hugos Voyage
Lace
Honorable Mentions
Bombay Black
Rocket Love
Ronnie Atkins
Formosa
Revolution Saints
Sarayasign

top 10.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea is another great album from them, and is the only one I've really invested time into. I should check out this new one. 

That’s the one! I was trying to think of the one that created a bit of a buzz a few years ago. I remember liking it at the time, but never anything since. Not even sure how that’d stack up to my ears today. Was it 2006? Or Maybe 2016? Either way, probably not heard it since the year of its release… 

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Been checking that one out too.....it is pretty good.  Not quite as edgy as the new one though.

Been sampling their other albums too but so far the newest one is grabbing me most.  

2 hours ago, Whatever Happened To Fun? said:

Marvelous 3 - IV

'Kill A Motherfucker That Breaks Your Heart' is defo one of the best tracks of the year. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:45 PM, nyoilers said:

My top 5 list of 2023

2. Avenged Sevenfold-Life Is But A Dream...

As much as I love A7X, I just could not get into this album. Loved the first single but everything else was just a bit too weird for me.

Threw together a cheeky little list that looks a little like this;

35     -    Nowhere Left       -    Places We Couldn't Belong ; new band to me - modern emotive rock done very well.

34          Taylor Acorn       -    Certified Depressant ; pretty cool (mini) album lifted by the super catchy 'Psycho' tune, which I enjoy greatly. 

33          Hot Milk     -    A Call To The Void ; another band new to my ears... I just dig this. Heap of very catchy "pop punk" / modern rock tunes all over it.

32          Lift The Curse     -    Rise With The Flames ; these guys release an incredible amount of songs and in 2023 alone they released two albums, with 15 songs each. This is my preferred of the two, but they are an incredibly consistent band and I don't think they've recorded a song I actually dislike yet. As one might expect, with that many songs not every one is a 10/10 killer, but there's a lot of very cool songs and I dig this. 

31     -    Khymera      -    Hold Your Ground ; off the top of my head, this one is probably their third best album, after the first two, and a return to form, of sorts, after a few albums I didn't love.  

30          Beartooth    -    The Surface ; highly rated amongst experts of this type of music, and it's a good solid album from start to end. Quality band. 

29     -    Marvelous 3  -    IV ; not quite on par with their best two albums, but not far off it and a pretty awesome surprise that came from nowhere, to me. Had no idea this was on the cards, so I was happy to see it pop up. 'Kill A Motherfucker That Breaks Your Heart' is one of the highlights of the year too. 

28     -    Bad Wolves   -    Die About It ; another super consistent band who do what they do very well. Very nice modern heavy rock. 

27          The Maine    -    The Maine ; such a mad fan of this band. Again, as consistent as balls and such an enjoyable listen, every time. Another great album in a great discography. 

26     -    Boys Like Girls    -    Sunday At Foxwoods ; like Marvelous 3, had no idea this was going to happen almost until it was in my ears... and again, another beautiful surprise. Like M3, probably not quite on par with their first two, but not far off the debut (hard to get anywhere near 'Love Drunk'). This one sounds a bit more like BLG mixed with The Night Game this time around, which is not a bad thing at all. Really strong album.  

25    -    Meredith Hunter    -    Proud to be Different ; late entry into my list, but I really like this. Super consistent, quality album from this Czech Republic band. Not something you say every day. But it's a very good album. 

24     -    The Motion Epic    -    Saturday Night Motel Music ; anyone who knows these guys knows this was going to be quality, like everything else they do, and it is. Beauty. 

23     -    Station      -    And Time Goes On ; really nice album. Always liked these guys, but this one has a better, fuller sound and - as expected - some killer songs. One of their best. 

22     -    The Word Alive     -    Hard Reset ; high quality modern rock album, delivering on many levels, song after song. 

21     -    Revolution Saints  -    Eagle Flight ; not a popular pick, but something about this album resonated with me and I have none of the gripes others seem to have with this. Great vocals, and songs I found myself enjoying consistently. Good album, if taken at face value. 

20     -    Issa   -    Lights of Japan ; another artist people have issue with, but always solid to me and this is one of her better albums in recent years. Would sit in the top half of her discography, I would assume. Good stuff.  

19     -    Vega   -    Battlelines ; whereas this probably isn't one of Vega's best, but Vega on any level is still pretty great, and this is still a very good album, as one would expect from the band. 

18     -    Night Rider  -    Night Rider ; doubt many heard this one, but it's a pretty sweet mix of styles of rock and metal. Very nice collection of tunes. 

17     -    Cyan Kicks   -    I Never Said 4ever ; really strong female fronted rock, with the immense title track lighting the room every single time I spun it (in abundance) this year. 

16     -    Broadside    -    Hotel Bleu ; almost a little surprised how high this rated in my list, but such is the class of this band that even if I admit I was a tiny bit underwhelmed with this album - not because it was bad at all; just quite different to what I expected - a good band is a good band and even with a different vibe this time around, they still absolutely nail it and it's a very good album. 

15     -    Solence      -    Hope Is a Cult ; without even a near contest, 'Rain down' possesses the most monstrous riff of the year and thankfully the rest of the album backs up the absolute killer nature of that song. Which is not to say they're all that good (but what is?!), but it's still a really good album throughout. 

14     -    Care of Night      -    Reconnected ; like other bands on this list, this isn't their best album but like others on this list, even when they're not at their absolute best, they're still pretty damn good anyway. Hoping they get back to their best, but this is still a really nice return to recorded music. 

13     -    Kala   -    Diary of a Depressed Creative ; bit emo-ish, I guess, if that's still "a thing" with the kids, but this is a stampede of excellent "pop punk" / modern rock tunes. Love this album. 

12     -    Wind Walkers       -    What If I Break? ; and speaking of really good albums, here is another. Immense tracks on another super high quality album. Nothing to dislike on this one. 

11     -    Heavens Edge       -    Get It Right ; a debut-like production job would no doubt have propelled this one up the list a bit, but even as it is, with it's pretty basic production job, it's a great return from these guys. One of the best recent albums from a band from back in the day in that I can recall. 

10     -    Fly By Midnight    -    Fictional Illustrations ; hadn't ever heard of this band, but gave it a listen after I saw it on a Mr AOR list at some point, and I love it. A lot lighter than the other modern bands on my list, but super sweet tunes with killer hooks and melodies. Really enjoyable album. 

9      -    ModX   -    Secrets ; surprised this is as high on the list as it is, but quality is quality and this is quality. I don't really connect with this album as much as other albums listed above it on this list, but it is very classy and a well polished product. Hard to fault, really, other than that it doesn't have that emotive impact I crave in my music. 

8      -    First Signal       -    Face Your Fears ; some of the best melodic hard rock songs of the year have a home on this one. Maybe let down slightly by the ones that don't quite hit the mark, but the best of this album is absolutely killer, and the ballsier sound is well received by this guy. 

7      -    Creye  -    III: Weightless ; pure class. Loved these tunes every time they hit the playlist this year. Not much more to say than that it's just a great album.

6      -    Tempt  -    Tempt ; bit of a cheeky wildcard in the list. Love that they bring something a little fresh to the table, and absolutely nail it. Big label quality production, and killer tunes to match. Unconventional at times, but they pull it off. Can't wait to hear more. 'Burn me down' possibly the song of the year?

5      -    Nitrate      -    Feel The Heat ; to be frank, the shitty production is such a letdown on this one. Very disappointing, because it doesn't need to happen in 2023, but, a good song is a good song and this album has a lot of those. I truly wish the care had been taken in getting this to sound right, but I do still enjoy the songs a lot. 

4      -    Kent Hilli   -    Nothing Left To Lose ; gotta say this is a massive surprise, as one could argue that the melodic rock world has been a little over-saturated with Mr Hilli in recent years, but as I've said a few times, a great song (and voice) is a great song (and voice) and I can't deny the quality of songs on offer here. Just a really good modern melodic rock album. 

3      -    Midnite City       -    In At The Deep End ; a bit like Nitrate, except this one is very well produced and the best songs are better too. Absolutely rock solid reliable band, guaranteed to be in the top 5 any year they release new music. Love it. 

2      -    Degreed      -    Public Address ; three of the big guns from recent years round out my list and this is another band that doesn't release anything that is not excellent. Another album full of huge songs and a constant highlight when they hit the playlist. Absolute class. 

1      -    The Defiants       -    Drive ; almost seems like a "safe" #1 because it's so predictably good. Just couldn't go past it, to be honest. I found a few moments on this that were familiar to recent Defiants and D2 albums, but all ideas, one could argue, that were worth resurrecting. I'd have a really hard time faulting this one. Just excellence. 

I do also want to note that my most highly rated and most enjoyed set of tunes from 2023 was actually an EP. And that EP, of course, is;

LeBrock     -    Gone (EP) ; like others up the top end, a very familiar pair of faces at the top end of my lists in recent times. Absolute excellence, and my favourite recordings of the year. 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

By now y'all know I don't make these lists, but I'm having a difficult time even remembering what I listened to from 2023 apart from ModX - Secrets. That album completely eclipsed everything for me. For that reason it's my number one of the year. I still listen to it almost daily.