Best albums of 2023

13 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

By now y'all know I don't make these lists, but I'm having a difficult time even remembering what I listened to from 2023 apart from ModX - Secrets. That album completely eclipsed everything for me. For that reason it's my number one of the year. I still listen to it almost daily. 

What sort of music is modx?

• My Little Pony
11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

What sort of music is modx?

AOR that dips into the Westcoast and Hi-Tech sub-genres. 

And if it at all appeals to you, all four bonus tracks are essential. 

1. Lordi – Screem Writers Guild

2. Elvenking – Reader Of The Runes – Rapture

3. Kamelot – The Awakening

4. Crowne – Operation Phoenix

5. Hell In The Club – Fubar

6. Extreme - Six

7. Metallica – 72 Seasons  

8. Overkill – Scorched

9. Eclipse – Megalomanium

10. Theocracy - Mosaic

Edited by tobi is an animal

• My Little Pony
21 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

1. Lordi – Screem Writers Guild

2. Elvenking – Reader Of The Runes – Rapture

3. Kamelot – The Awakening

4. Crowne – Operation Phoenix

5. Hell In The Club – Fubar

6. Extreme - Six

7. Metallica – 72 Seasons  

8. Overkill – Scorched

9. Eclipse – Megalomanium

10. Theocracy - Mosaic

Glad to see Theocracy make someone's list. I need to give it a few more spings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony
On 1/15/2024 at 5:15 AM, Geoff said:

Broadside    -    Hotel Bleu ; almost a little surprised how high this rated in my list, but such is the class of this band that even if I admit I was a tiny bit underwhelmed with this album - not because it was bad at all; just quite different to what I expected - a good band is a good band and even with a different vibe this time around, they still absolutely nail it and it's a very good album.

Been spinning this a fair bit the last few days. I've said it before, but I've done an absolute shit job at keeping up with album releases. I only just realised these boys dropped this back in November. Anyway, I very much agree with you: there are some excellent tunes on this, but I'm a little worried about the direction they may be going. I noticed it with Emarosa, too. There seems to be a trend with these Pop Punk bands to go more Pop than Punk. And I just hope they don't pull a Don Vedda and completely lose their Rock identity. 

But, anyway, how fucking immense is the closing track, "Bleu"? Gut wrenching. Is he talking about a failed relationship, or a passing of a loved one? Either way, it hit me real hard. 

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Been spinning this a fair bit the last few days. I've said it before, but I've done an absolute shit job at keeping up with album releases. I only just realised these boys dropped this back in November. Anyway, I very much agree with you: there are some excellent tunes on this, but I'm a little worried about the direction they may be going. I noticed it with Emarosa, too. There seems to be a trend with these Pop Punk bands to go more Pop than Punk. And I just hope they don't pull a Don Vedda and completely lose their Rock identity. 

But, anyway, how fucking immense is the closing track, "Bleu"? Gut wrenching. Is he talking about a failed relationship, or a passing of a loved one? Either way, it hit me real hard. 

I took it as the latter, but I guess only he knows? Unless he’s mentioned it somewhere and everyone else knows too. But yeah, I agree, a true heavy hitter. 

The likelihood of a pop punk band going more “pop” and atmospheric in time is far more than one in every two. It’s basically a given. Some you lose completely, like a Paramore, but some come back. Was it Against The Current that returned to their earlier sound? 

There’s a definite pattern in the genre/s, but as long as the music stays good I’m along for the ride.