Treat - Ghost Of Graceland

Stefan

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda difficult to comprehend how anybody can like Too Late To Die Young and dislike House On Fire or vise versa.

LOL, I'm in the viceversa wagon: I like House On Fire, but Too Late does little for me (not enough to hit 'next', though).

Ha, I think both are great tracks with similarities and thus difficult to like the one and not the other.

Organised Crime - 92%

Coup De Grace - 87%

The new one TBA.

Buddy, break the rates, to start editing my polemic. :tumbsup:

I really like the last track on this one! Not sure I've seen anybody else mention it

Everything to everyone is one of my favourites too

I've heard a few people criticise the ballad together alone , but I love that one too, though I pretty much love the whole thing

And one other thing that slightly bothers me on GOG is the production. Maybe it's just me but the vocals sound slightly low in the mix on some of these songs and at times I almost have to strain to hear/understand them in parts.

Don't get me wrong though...I think it's pretty good and I really like Inferno, GOG, Endangered, I Don't Miss The Misery, Nonstop Madness and Stunts/Everything to Everyone are pretty decent.

So I don't know...For me, CDG was probably somewhere around an 80 and if I were rating this, it would probably be about an 85. I like it but it just doesn't really "wow" me.

Personally, I much prefer the Defiants release to this one as that one does "wow" me. For me, the Defiants is about a 95 if I were putting a number on it. Honestly, while listening to GOG I really had the urge at about midway through House on Fire to take the CD out and pop in the Defiants....But I finished it out.

I know what you mean, sometimes hard to put into words though. I also struggled a bit as I don't know Treat from previous albums so I wasn't familiar or used to their ''sound''. But I must say after a couple of spins over the last 3 or 4 days I'm enjoying Ghost of Graceland quite a bit.

I still haven't familiarized myself with the album to the point I have with the Defiants so while listening to Treat I have moments where I space out and don't pay attention to the music when all of a sudden I hear a great hook and check which song number it is on the Stereo. So throughout the album there's good melodic moments but also some ''boring'' parts until the next good or memorable moment. If I recall correctly somewhere after the middle of the album there are some ''forgettable'' tracks and then ''Everything to Everyone'' grabs my attention again. Good songs or parts at the beginning as well with ''Better The Devil'' , ''I Don't Miss The Misery'' and so on.

Not feeling the ballad ''Together Alone'' so far though, while listening to it yesterday it reminded me of one of the songs on Rick Springfield's new album. Kind of how the vocal melody is sung. Will try and check which one it is

After a few spins of this, I decided to drop some extremely brief preliminary thoughts and numbers on it today, and it looks a little like this;

01. Ghost Of Graceland - Solid opener. Not the best song on the album, but a solid tune - 8.00
02. I Don’t Miss The Misery - quite an awesome song - 9.50
03. Better The Devil You Know - very fine song again - 9.00
04. Do Your Own Stunts - good catchy tune, but something about the lyrics just doesn't sit too well with me - 8.25
05. Endangered - this one has a huge 'Organized Crime' vibe to it - so it should go without saying that I love it - 9.25
06. Inferno - good catchy chorus again - great tune - 8.50
07. Alien Earthlings - another good, big anthemic tune - 8.00
08. Nonstop Madness - wow, what a hook. Very cool tune. Oddly, not what you'd normally expect from Treat, but at the same time it is… makes sense? - 9.00
09. Too Late To Die Young - the most average song on the album… not too much to it at all - 7.25
10. House On Fire - another good solid hard rocker with some nice riffage - 8.00
11. Together Alone - I really think this would have excelled with a full band arrangement, but it's a pretty great song regardless - 8.25
12. Everything To Everyone - good solid closer but not one of the album's best - 7.75
Total - 84%

09. Too Late To Die Young - the most average song on the album… not too much to it at all - 7.25

That's one of my favourite tunes on the whole album.

:)

Really? I find it to be quite bland. For me it just kind of plods along without ever really doing anything for me. The chorus doesn't separate itself much from the verses and is actually a really weak chorus and yeah, like I said, for me, personally, it's the weakest song on the album.

On the flipside, I have always had a soft spot for songs/bands that reference their old material. Don't ask me why, it's just a cool little thing I always note and dig. And ironically, my favourite part of the song is the 'Paper Tiger' / 'Sole Survivor' / 'Get You On The Run' part... but it's still a weak song, for me.

Agreed! Great tune!

Four spins in, I have a similar rating with Geoff, to be exact it's around 83.5% and my CDG is 90.66% compared to OC at 89.3% so the early thought are quite correct that this is weaker than both albums, but turns out that it's better than 'Pleasure' and only beaten by a thin margin by 'Dreamhunter'.

I also love 'Too late To Die Young' (8.25) and 'Everything To Everyone' (8.5) but totally struggling to give a single track a 9 or above. Perhaps the modern vibe or maybe need more spins but the closest things are 'Misery', 'Endangered', and 'Nonstop Madness'. A quite consistent album with nothing below 7.5 and weaker tracks here are 'Alien' (7.75) and 'Together Alone' (8), the title track is also an 8.

• My Little Pony

It's funny you guys say there's a prominent Modern vibe, when the band said they were revisiting the sound of their heroes (or whatever they said).

Also, I must be the only guy here that hasn't heard this, yet. Bloody hell. I keep forgetting to throw an order together.

How I see it:

1. Ghost Of Graceland 8.5/10
2. I Don’t Miss The Misery 9/10
3. Better The Devil You Know 8.5/10
4. Do Your Own Stunts 8.5/10
5. Endangered 9.5/10
6. Inferno 9.25/10
7. Alien Earthlings 8/10
8. Nonstop Madness 9.25/10
9. Too Late To Die Young 9.25/10
10. House On Fire 7.75/10
11. Together Alone 7.5/10
12. Everything To Everyone 8.5/10

86%

for me

1. Ghost Of Graceland 7.5/10
2. I Don’t Miss The Misery 9/10
3. Better The Devil You Know 8/10
4. Do Your Own Stunts 9/10
5. Endangered 9 /10
6. Inferno 10/10
7. Alien Earthlings 8/10
8. Nonstop Madness 7/10
9. Too Late To Die Young 9/10
10. House On Fire 7/10
11. Together Alone 9/10
12. Everything To Everyone 9/10

85%

Four spins in, I have a similar rating with Geoff, to be exact it's around 83.5% and my CDG is 90.66% compared to OC at 89.3% so the early thought are quite correct that this is weaker than both albums, but turns out that it's better than 'Pleasure' and only beaten by a thin margin by 'Dreamhunter'.

I also love 'Too late To Die Young' (8.25) and 'Everything To Everyone' (8.5) but totally struggling to give a single track a 9 or above. Perhaps the modern vibe or maybe need more spins but the closest things are 'Misery', 'Endangered', and 'Nonstop Madness'. A quite consistent album with nothing below 7.5 and weaker tracks here are 'Alien' (7.75) and 'Together Alone' (8), the title track is also an 8.

I love Inferno =9,Non Stop Madness=8.9, & Don't Miss=8.9

Is it just me, or does "I Don't Miss The Misery" kinda sound like "Inferno"?

Yep, they are quite similar, though I like "Inferno" a bit more.

Mine:

1. Ghost Of Graceland 9

2. I Don’t Miss The Misery 8.5

3. Better The Devil You Know 10

4. Do Your Own Stunts 10

5. Endangered 9.5

6. Inferno 9

7. Alien Earthlings 8

8. Nonstop Madness 8.5

9. Too Late To Die Young 7.5

10. House On Fire 9

11. Together Alone 7.5

12. Everything To Everyone 9.5

Total 88.3%

Listening to this one right now with a tall glass of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire on the rocks sitting in front of me, and you know what, this is a damn good melodic hard rock album.

Not something that would have particularly enamored me in May of 1986 when I was driving my Toyota Celica to my last few days of high school, but times have changed... I've changed.

Hell yes, this one is REALLY good!

I'll play along....

1. Ghost Of Graceland 9
2. I Don’t Miss The Misery 10
3. Better The Devil You Know 8
4. Do Your Own Stunts 9.0
5. Endangered 9.5
6. Inferno 10
7. Alien Earthlings 7
8. Nonstop Madness 9.5
9. Too Late To Die Young 8.0
10. House On Fire 7.0
11. Together Alone 7.0
12. Everything To Everyone 8.0

85 for me on average which sounds just about right. I really like the first half but it tails off in the second half for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I listen to this one the more I like it!

For lack of a better term, it's not as "Radio Friendly" as CDG, but it certainly stands on it's own merits and is a damn-fine recording.

I was completely wrong being overly concerned with the "Where we are now as a band" comment.

The more I listen to this one the more I like it!

For lack of a better term, it's not as "Radio Friendly" as CDG, but it certainly stands on it's own merits and is a damn-fine recording.

I was completely wrong being overly concerned with the "Where we are now as a band" comment.

It does sound quite a bit different from CDG while maintaining that trademark TREAT sound. CDG just had better hooks, better beefier guitars, and just better songs.

As good as GOG is, I'd still take CDG every day and twice on Sunday!