Treat - Ghost Of Graceland

Stefan

As much as i love GoG, (and I do) it doesn't touch CDG for me.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDG has a more ballsy sound.

Yes! and for me more melodic and catchy songs.

CDG has a more ballsy sound.

Yes! and for me more melodic and catchy songs.

Agreed on both! Ghosts is missing the energy of Coup IMO. Still too early for me to rate or compare tho.

What CDG has are bigger anthems, a more classic melodic rock sound and more keys.

What GOG has are better and cleaner vocals, more guitars, a more modern rock feel in the verses and even better production.

CDG doesn't sound dated by any means, but I find the production meatier on GOG.

What CDG has are bigger anthems, a more classic melodic rock sound and more keys.

What GOG has are better and cleaner vocals, more guitars, a more modern rock feel in the verses and even better production.

CDG doesn't sound dated by any means, but I find the production meatier on GOG.

Disagree on the better production and more guitars.

It's an excellent release but CDG is still better. I'm sure this will make my top 10 of 2016.

CDG is probably in my top 10 for the past 20 years...it would have been hard to beat.

Yes

It's still debatable but I think CDG is their finest hour and the best of their entire career, edge out the classic like 'Organized Crime' or 'The Pleasure Principle' but of course by a small margin. Now, the new one might require at least 10 more spins to fully sunk in but I guess it's slightly weaker than CDG, Pleasure, Crime, or Dreamhunter

So you're one of those, hey? As a massive fan of this band, I have never, ever understood the adoration for 'The Pleasure Principle.' It is such a basic, banal album. For me it's their second weakest, just edging out 'Scratch and Bite.' But I even prefer s/t and 'Muscle In Motion' and obviously the rest. It's a nice album - I still gave it a 74%, but from such a great band it's a pretty safe and average album.

Well...finally got a chance to listen to this album...For me, it's just okay.

To start with, I was only lukewarm on CDG. I liked some of the songs quite a bit like Paper Tiger, Roar, Tangled Up, Heaven Can Wait and We Own The Night. However, there was also a good portion of the album I didn't much care for. I have a hard time putting my finger on it exactly as to why that is....The music sounds great....I think sometimes it's just the vocals and lyrics I have a hard time connecting with. I'm not sure if it's the accent, song structures or what.

As for GOG...I think I like it a little bit better than Coupe as it feels a little more consistent throughout to me. However, there are still 3-4 songs I think I'll be skipping regularly (Alien Earthlings, House On Fire, Together Alone and maybe Better The Devil You Know..although that one might grow on me). Again, those songs sound great musically but just don't seem to connect much with the songs or something.

And one other thing that slightly bothers me on GOG is the production. Maybe it's just me but the vocals sound slightly low in the mix on some of these songs and at times I almost have to strain to hear/understand them in parts.

Don't get me wrong though...I think it's pretty good and I really like Inferno, GOG, Endangered, I Don't Miss The Misery, Nonstop Madness and Stunts/Everything to Everyone are pretty decent.

So I don't know...For me, CDG was probably somewhere around an 80 and if I were rating this, it would probably be about an 85. I like it but it just doesn't really "wow" me.

Personally, I much prefer the Defiants release to this one as that one does "wow" me. For me, the Defiants is about a 95 if I were putting a number on it. Honestly, while listening to GOG I really had the urge at about midway through House on Fire to take the CD out and pop in the Defiants....But I finished it out.

I don't know where this album will fall for me this year...It's good but it's quite a bit behind Nordic Union and the Defiants for me.

I think you will find that this will get better and better with each spin - it did for me.

Admittedly House on Fire is one of the weaker tracks but I love Alien Earthlings and Better the Devil now

I also have no issues with production - sounds great to me

:)

What the heck is Alien Earthlings even about?

It reminds me of Skies of Mongolia from the last album where I just couldn't get into it even though musically it sounded good.

Maybe it'll help when I get the liner notes out and read the lyrics....

I think you will find that this will get better and better with each spin - it did for me.

Admittedly House on Fire is one of the weaker tracks but I love Alien Earthlings and Better the Devil now

What the heck is Alien Earthlings even about?

It reminds me of Skies of Mongolia from the last album where I just couldn't get into it even though musically it sounded good.

Maybe it'll help when I get the liner notes out and read the lyrics....

read above about the interpretation of Skies - might help you enjoy the song a bit more - it did me :)

It's an excellent release but CDG is still better. I'm sure this will make my top 10 of 2016.

CDG is probably in my top 10 for the past 20 years...it would have been hard to beat.

Yes

It's still debatable but I think CDG is their finest hour and the best of their entire career, edge out the classic like 'Organized Crime' or 'The Pleasure Principle' but of course by a small margin. Now, the new one might require at least 10 more spins to fully sunk in but I guess it's slightly weaker than CDG, Pleasure, Crime, or Dreamhunter

So you're one of those, hey? As a massive fan of this band, I have never, ever understood the adoration for 'The Pleasure Principle.' It is such a basic, banal album. For me it's their second weakest, just edging out 'Scratch and Bite.' But I even prefer s/t and 'Muscle In Motion' and obviously the rest. It's a nice album - I still gave it a 74%, but from such a great band it's a pretty safe and average album.

Well I think one reason I love 'The Pleasure Principle' is the very typical 80s sound of it is quite calming for me compared to the modern darker touch on this new album, but of course this new one is yet to be spun as much as it is.

And I think s/t and 'Muscle' are weaker by 3-4% than 'Pleasure' but haven't touch the whole discography again yet so I need to re-listen to the whole thing. I haven't got the debut yet, it's quite pricey on the market so I think I need to download some samples, but is it their weakest ? No clue at all

I agree there are at least 3 safe tracks on 'Pleasure' that's probably worth a 7 to 7.5 but the rest are at least 8 and couple of tracks are near 9 so all in all it's like 81-82% from me.

The new one might be on par with that but lookin forward to more spins and throw judgement later this year after a thorough examination on all their albums, but maybe we both can agree that 'Organized' and 'CDG' are their top two so far? or are you liking this one better than CDG ?

hey Glen, are there any discussion on Skies of Mongolia ? looks like it was about the constant touring that exhaust them but what's the meaning behind Mongolian skies ? one thing I knew is the clear blue sky and a long sunshine there :D

• My Little Pony

Yes

hey Glen, are there any discussion on Skies of Mongolia ? looks like it was about the constant touring that exhaust them but what's the meaning behind Mongolian skies ? one thing I knew is the clear blue sky and a long sunshine there :D

To this day my son's favourite Treat tune from CDG is Skies Of Mongolia....I also love it. Only the ballad was worthy of skipping. Same for the new one, the ballad near the end is sorta forgettable.

Ghosts is filler free and surpassing the Defiants more and more with each spin.

Yeah but what is it about? Any clue

Genuine question.

I've done a bit of research. Curiously this song was co-written by Rudolf Schenker (Scorpions), I didn't know that!:

http://ytsejam.com/2010/05/interview-with-treats-nalle-pa%C2%A5hlsson-also-wtherion-last-autumns-dream/

Also, Mongolia is known by legend as the Land of the Blue Sky' as the Mongolian sky is cloudless for more than two thirds of the year:

https://www.discovermongolia.mn/discover-mongolia-land-of-the-blue-sky/

As by the lyrics I think they are a metaphor meaning "freedom and peace in the wild":

We've been out on the road for endless of days

Seen millions of friends from far away

Traveling between the cities of blinding light

But the houses and roads and neon-lit names

Hotels and airports all look the same

So take me away, let's board another flight

There's a fire that burns tonight

In the skies of Mongolia

Like a woman with eyes that shine so bright

In the skies of Mongolia

Let me take you away to where eagles fly

Where the dirt and the rock shake hands with the sky

We ride like the wind, leaving the world behind

And though years have gone by, I'm still in the game

Can't get enough of people calling my name

But in shadows and dust is where I get peace of mind

There's a fire that burns tonight

In the skies of Mongolia

Like a woman with eyes that shine so bright

In the skies of Mongolia

There's no way you can control a nomadic heart

That holds a warrior's soul

So let's fly away tonight

The 3 weak tracks on GoG:

Alien Earthlings

House On Fire

Together Alone

Alien Earthings is great imo

House of Fire might be slightly weaker - after all its a tough job following 'Too Late To Die Young'. But i like it and the fact they tried something a bit different with the keyboard solo which is pretty cool.

Together Alone > A Life to Die For

The new one might be on par with that but lookin forward to more spins and throw judgement later this year after a thorough examination on all their albums, but maybe we both can agree that 'Organized' and 'CDG' are their top two so far? or are you liking this one better than CDG ?

Yeah, 'Organized Crime' is definitely their best, and I think 'Coup De Grace' will remain my second fave. But I'm really not sure yet... way too early to know where the new one sits yet.

Agree. Those tracks kill the momentum in the second half.

Alien Earthlings

House On Fire

Together Alone

Love Alien Earthlings but the other two tracks are the ones I left off my GOG and CDG mix for the car.

LOL...I've done the same thing taking my favorites from both albums...

Not that both albums aren't good....But that really makes for one fantastic album :)

Agree. Those tracks kill the momentum in the second half.

Alien Earthlings
House On Fire
Together Alone

Love Alien Earthlings but the other two tracks are the ones I left off my GOG and CDG mix for the car.

Yeah, 'Organized Crime' is definitely their best, and I think 'Coup De Grace' will remain my second fave. But I'm really not sure yet... way too early to know where the new one sits yet.

All 3 are about equal - 85-90%