Ever wonder what Heavy Harmonies looked like in the early days?

http://web.archive.org/web/19981201065143/...~dharding/glam/

The archive page from right after the Halls of Glam morphed into Heavy Harmonies. :)

A few of the links on the page are archived & work as well; have fun! :drink:

• Like 1

Really interesting to see what the site was like over 10 years back!! The site's come a long way since then :headbanger:

I guess this would be an apt time to congratulate Dan and everyone else involved in managing and developing the site...and we don't say this often enough, but great work, guys!!! :beerbang:

On a side note: Any chances of the lyrics section being incorporated in the future?

On a side note: Any chances of the lyrics section being incorporated in the future?

No. Next question?

:lol:

Seriously though, there are more legal/rights headaches with lyrics than with any other aspect of music sites (save downloads). The law may have changed (I'll be honest, I've not followed up on the issue), but at one point lyric sites and lyric search engines were being shut down left and right, and I wanted nothing to do with that fiasco...

-Dan

No. Next question?

Seriously though, there are more legal/rights headaches with lyrics than with any other aspect of music sites (save downloads). The law may have changed (I'll be honest, I've not followed up on the issue), but at one point lyric sites and lyric search engines were being shut down left and right, and I wanted nothing to do with that fiasco...

-Dan

"So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!!!"

No. Next question?

-Dan

"So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!!!"

Sounds like it to me.... :bananamac:

I found Heavy Harmonies one night while I was taking night classes back around the year 2000-2001, can't remember the exact date. I was killing time between a few classes in the library and there was a very small article about Heavy Harmonies in Rolling Stone magazine. I went to a computer, typed in the URL and was hooked ever since. This was also about the same time I discovered Ebay and bought the first of many CDs on Ebay. It was also around the same time I discovered Napster and actually met T-Bone there years before the messageboard even existed. I can't believe that was almost a decade ago!

That was actually the year 2000. I had just got my 1st computer and it had the dreaded Windows ME and a MASSIVE 40gb hard drive :rolleyes:

So Dan, really, did you start this whole thing? how come if you did it credits you as being member #2? you should post all the screen names with their member number next to it! see who we lost along the way, ive been here since 2004, I stumbled onto HH while I was trying to jerk off, I typed in Spread Eagle, and HH came up, and the rest they say is history!

• Haha 1

That was actually the year 2000. I had just got my 1st computer and it had the dreaded Windows ME and a MASSIVE 40gb hard drive :rolleyes:

Aahhh the good ole days. Wasn't I the won who corrupted you by introducing you to Evilbay?

• 3 weeks later...

When did I first find this place?

Hmm... I discovered ebay in March of 1999 after a discussion with PJ. I was buiying CD's from him for several months before then when he was on the METAL RING or something like that. Seems to me I found Heavy Harmonies about the same time. I don't think I actually joined until quite a few years later, however.

Man, that's a long time ago.

• 14 years later...

This is an old thread, but I was trying to timeline and recall my joining the site too. If I recall correctly, I was frequenting the Comments section on the Main Pages. In my head I was doing that for quite a while - months, or maybe even years? - before it came up a few times (in the comments section) that I should check out the forum. In my memory it was a while before I did so, but it looks like I joined the forum in May 2004. I'm curious as to how long I was using the site up until that point. I know I was very active on the Melodicrock.com Noticeboards leading up to joining here, possibly prolonging my hesitation to join another similar forum? Hard to recall as it was so many, many years ago.

Looks like it'll be 20 years next year that I've been on this forum. Madness. 

• Like 1

I feel a bit sad seeing these older threads from over a decade ago when there were so many people active whom I have never conversed with. It must be way worse for all you old timers with people you used to post with no longer "speaking". And now there are like about 20 frequent posters here, that's all. There's about the same over on the main site writing regular reviews but they don't seem to come here, or if they do they have different names.

8 minutes ago, auslander said:

I feel a bit sad seeing these older threads from over a decade ago when there were so many people active whom I have never conversed with. It must be way worse for all you old timers with people you used to post with no longer "speaking". And now there are like about 20 frequent posters here, that's all. There's about the same over on the main site writing regular reviews but they don't seem to come here, or if they do they have different names.

That's one thing I'd still like to do - pen reviews for the albums I never got around to, or that were released after I stopped doing the main site thing. I think I mentioned it before, though, that I'd love to be able to know which ones I'd reviewed and have a list of all the ones I hadn't. Otherwise, there's just too much guess work and scrolling n' stuff for me to persist with such a venture. 

Just now, Geoff said:

That's one thing I'd still like to do - pen reviews for the albums I never got around to, or that were released after I stopped doing the main site thing. I think I mentioned it before, though, that I'd love to be able to know which ones I'd reviewed and have a list of all the ones I hadn't. Otherwise, there's just too much guess work and scrolling n' stuff for me to persist with such a venture. 

You could just stick to albums released in the 2020s and even that would be really valuable to the site. A lot of the newer albums have zero to few comments on them.

1 minute ago, auslander said:

You could just stick to albums released in the 2020s and even that would be really valuable to the site. A lot of the newer albums have zero to few comments on them.

Yeah, I might put some more thought into it after I finish my yearly playlists. For now, that is my "musical project" that I just want to get through and complete. Up to 1992, so not too far to go. <_< 

It'd be cool to drop comments as I went along on this venture... but again, probably most I've already done. Maybe, as you say, when I get to later years, I'll incorporate that into my listening schedule. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, auslander said:

I remember being on a WASP forum and somebody had 2 accounts and would argue with themself !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

There is an option to see which ones you rated. But only a handful of people seem to bother with that.

Was 16 years for me last July...I know that I was about the main site (think I did join the main site under a different name if I remember correctly,it doesnt work now though) reading reviews for a good while previous to joining the forum , spent most time then on Edge Of The World/Komodo Island forum and Demons Eye before finally joining here, have to be honest I didn't post much for years as I never seemed to have much time back then (had 2 babies to contend with back then :wub:) but i'd miss it now if I didn't check in at least several times daily and it is after all a great community :drink2:

• Like 2

Although I discovered the main site in 2009, it was not until after so many years I joined the message board. So it's now more than 7 years on the message board. Finding HH is still one of the best things that ever happened in my life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

There is an option to see which ones you rated. But only a handful of people seem to bother with that.

I did see that, but that's albums you have scored isn't it? As in given a rating out of 100? I want to know the ones I commented on only. I must confess that I never really did the ratings as I found it too hard to pluck a number at random.

What I could actually do, if I had a couple of years to spare, is go back and rate them all now, with my awesome spreadsheet of ratings by my side. I could do them one by one and comment on the ones I haven't done so, as I rate them all. I'd get a kick out of that, but only if I ever stop taking photographs will I have that sort of time available...