Corona

simo

6 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I just wanted to see what it was like to make arguments like Geoff does.

And I guess it's pretty obvious that you failed miserably, as, like Dan, I actually had no idea what you were saying either. I think the main difference is that what I say is based on what is actually there for everyone to see, and your attempt was, well, I don't even know what it was? I doubt you could even go back and explain what you were actually trying to get across. 

Anyway, as for the last few posts, I can see where people are coming from with those concerns, but I also think this stems from the way covid is still looked at like it's the black plague. Covid is treated above all else, with hazmat suits, quarantines, exclusion zones and who knows what the fuck else. I very strongly doubt the alleged burden on the health system is covid itself, but the manner in which it is still viewed and feared. If we just dropped everything and treated it like a new/different strain of the flu, which is basically what it is, more or less, then I don't think this alleged strain on the system would be the story that it's made out to be, by some. As with everything covid related, there are equal amounts of people saying the opposite to the panic and strain we're lead to believe. I work in the healthcare industry and have worked every weekday for the last three years and never once seen any evidence, anywhere, of this incredible strain that is keeping us all in this horrible state of living. Of course I am talking about NSW, Australia. Can't speak for the rest of the world, but if the last two years have taught me nothing else, it is that you take a news story, and then you minus 90% or more of the drama, panic and hysteria that comes with it, and about there is where you have the truth. 

• Like 2

Geoff says "covid is nothing to worry about" and then gets upset when people complain that they are sick from it filling the hospitals.

I read in a post somewhere that you claimed this was brought here by aliens!?!?

O also saw, in going through your posts, that anyone who accepted covid as anything other than a government conspiracy was a fool.

8 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Geoff says "covid is nothing to worry about" and then gets upset when people complain that they are sick from it filling the hospitals.

I read in a post somewhere that you claimed this was brought here by aliens!?!?

O also saw, in going through your posts, that anyone who accepted covid as anything other than a government conspiracy was a fool.

If you're not aware of it, mate, just FYI, you're making yourself look like a complete fucking idiot. :(

Stop embarrassing yourself, scholar. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

If you're not aware of it, mate, just FYI, you're making yourself look like a complete fucking idiot. :(

Stop embarrassing yourself, scholar. 

Whoaaa, hold on.

I did it.

I managed to show you how people feel when they read your posts misquoting them and others.

Sad thing is I'm doing it for shits and giggles.

You do it as a way of making an argument.

But you raise a value point 

You literally just said "the most important thing in life is to be well regarded on the HH forum.

You have the weirdest way of trying to achieve that ultimate goal of yours...

12 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Whoaaa, hold on.

I did it.

I managed to show you how people feel when they read your posts misquoting them and others.

Sad thing is I'm doing it for shits and giggles.

You do it as a way of making an argument.

But you raise a value point 

You literally just said "the most important thing in life is to be well regarded on the HH forum.

You have the weirdest way of trying to achieve that ultimate goal of yours...

Nice. You're definitely hammering home your point now. Keep going, champion. Tenacity at its finest. Grrrrr. 

• Haha 1

Cool, we're playing that game now?

Ok sport.

You do see that entering into this little stoush with me, just brings you down to my immature level?

Don't you?

I mean nim surprised that you didn't see what I was doing here.

My choice was to play the childish game, and if that's how others saw me then I was fine with it.

Buy you, you hold this place in very high regard and like to be seen as a reasonable and intelligent person.

And by bringing you down to my level, youre just engaging with me and we both look stupid.

Then again, I can see you you couldn't recognise when  you were looking stupid 😉

11 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Cool, we're playing that game now?

Ok sport.

You do see that entering into this little stoush with me, just brings you down to my immature level?

Don't you?

I mean nim surprised that you didn't see what I was doing here.

My choice was to play the childish game, and if that's how others saw me then I was fine with it.

Buy you, you hold this place in very high regard and like to be seen as a reasonable and intelligent person.

And by bringing you down to my level, youre just engaging with me and we both look stupid.

Then again, I can see you you couldn't recognise when  you were looking stupid 😉

What?! You're just springing this on me now? Like you say, I had absolutely no idea. Man, you got me good. 

Awkward Cute Girl GIF by DEEPSYSTEM

24 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

Are you 2 ladies just trying to inflate your post count... channeling your inner nyoilers? :P

I just thought she needed some healthy encouragement. I live for no other reason than to help people in their time of need. 

My grandfather used to have one of these Toyotas. I wish I had it now. Would be funny to drive it around, especially with those custom plates. Might be hard to get registered though...toyota-corona.png.5fc641f9267fb8a56abda95781139f49.png

When Ash Barty won the Aussie Open she had a beer and it caused an uproar because, well, people are absolute fucking idiots. 

But the one thing I wondered about the whole story was that she chose to drink a Corona. Really? A proud Aussie winning the Aussie Open can't even celebrate with some shitty Australian beer (on par with a Corona) or better yet, a fine Australian ale, fitting of such a celebration?

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Are you 2 ladies just trying to inflate your post count... channeling your inner nyoilers? :P

I’m waiting in the bullpen in case someone needs me to step in.

A new study out of Johns Hopkins University is claiming that worldwide pandemic lockdowns only prevented 0.2 per cent of COVID-19 deaths and were “not an effective way of reducing mortality rates during a pandemic.”

We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” reads the paper , which is based on a review of 34 pre-existing COVID-19 studies.

Given the “devastating effects” that lockdowns have caused, the authors recommended they be “rejected out of hand as a pandemic policy instrument.”

In both Europe and the United States, researchers found that a lockdown could only be expected to bring down mortality rates by 0.2 per cent “as compared to a COVID-19 policy based solely on recommendations.” For context, 0.2 per cent of total Canadian COVID-19 fatalities thus far is equal to about 70 people.

The impact of border closures was found to be even less effective, with death rates only going down about 0.1 per cent.

The study did give partial credit to policies that shut down “non-essential” businesses — which they concluded could bring down COVID death rates by as much as 10 per cent. The study noted that this was “likely to be related to the closure of bars.”

1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

A new study out of Johns Hopkins University is claiming that worldwide pandemic lockdowns only prevented 0.2 per cent of COVID-19 deaths and were “not an effective way of reducing mortality rates during a pandemic.”

We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” reads the paper , which is based on a review of 34 pre-existing COVID-19 studies.

Given the “devastating effects” that lockdowns have caused, the authors recommended they be “rejected out of hand as a pandemic policy instrument.”

In both Europe and the United States, researchers found that a lockdown could only be expected to bring down mortality rates by 0.2 per cent “as compared to a COVID-19 policy based solely on recommendations.” For context, 0.2 per cent of total Canadian COVID-19 fatalities thus far is equal to about 70 people.

The impact of border closures was found to be even less effective, with death rates only going down about 0.1 per cent.

The study did give partial credit to policies that shut down “non-essential” businesses — which they concluded could bring down COVID death rates by as much as 10 per cent. The study noted that this was “likely to be related to the closure of bars.”

Source? I find that study interesting.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, Geoff said:

When Ash Barty won the Aussie Open she had a beer and it caused an uproar because, well, people are absolute fucking idiots. 

But the one thing I wondered about the whole story was that she chose to drink a Corona. Really? A proud Aussie winning the Aussie Open can't even celebrate with some shitty Australian beer (on par with a Corona) or better yet, a fine Australian ale, fitting of such a celebration?

Idiot who started the uproar was an ex-Australian Idol host. 

6 minutes ago, Dead Planet said:

Interesting, so the relative conclusion is lockdowns bring down infection rates. But they have no effect on mortality rates. (i.e. those who would die, died anyway). And their negative effect on others (low risk) outweigh their benefits.

Reminds me of studies done on bushfires in Australia. No matter how many brave fire-fighters who charge in and fight the fires, they go out when they would go out anyway without any intervention. The only benefit is protecting property like houses and evacuation of people in the path. There is no benefit to fighting out of control fires in remote locations.

Said it before, but I have absolutely zero doubt whatsoever that with the amount of absolute nonsense we've endured for the last three years (as noted previously, seems only logical to add this one to the collection already) that there will be study after study, endlessly confirming what a lot of us already knew and spoke against as it was happening. 

55 minutes ago, auslander said:

Interesting, so the relative conclusion is lockdowns bring down infection rates. But they have no effect on mortality rates. (i.e. those who would die, died anyway). And their negative effect on others (low risk) outweigh their benefits.

Reminds me of studies done on bushfires in Australia. No matter how many brave fire-fighters who charge in and fight the fires, they go out when they would go out anyway without any intervention. The only benefit is protecting property like houses and evacuation of people in the path. There is no benefit to fighting out of control fires in remote locations.

So lockdowns turn out to be one of those 'great' ideas that look good on paper but are shit in the real world...

I wonder how long it'll take for a study to conclude that not allowing family members to say farewell to dying family members was a bad thing? 

Going to need a lot of financial backing, no doubt, and an abundance of qualified brainpower for some of these conclusions to be reached. 

I just hope that they're not all pointless studies, as they always are, that come and go, point out an obvious fact and then disappear. People need to be held accountable and dealt with severely to ensure that what we have seen over the last two years is not repeated. Will that happen? Of course not... 

Youve all been duped!

I find that a little hard to believe. At one point in the UK the deaths were spiralling at over 2000 a day and its only when we locked down that this was bought under control. 

I'm at work at mo but will read the report as interested. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

I find that a little hard to believe. At one point in the UK the deaths were spiralling at over 2000 a day and its only when we locked down that this was bought under control. 

I'm at work at mo but will read the report as interested. 

I haven't read it either, but my assumption would be that someone is finally taking the one dimensionality out of the situation, and looking at the bigger picture. Yes, locking everyone in their house might have had some impact on covid, but at what other cost?

I was thinking of this analogy this morning, that you could chain 10 dudes to a pole on the edge of a cliff and come back a week later and say "Wow, we cured deaths from cliff diving!" Because no one could dive off the cliff, but meanwhile three dudes starved to death, two hung themselves with their chains, two others had their eyes eaten out by vultures and the others are so mentally scarred they'll never be the same again. But at least no one jumped off the cliff. 

I'd like to hope that if there is a life after covid, and a simple lesson learned from it, it is that there was still a world happening while there was covid. The single-minded focus on it at the expense of every single other thing on the planet, which still continues today in plenty of places, I am sure, will be viewed in history as an inexplicable thing. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

I haven't read it either, but my assumption would be that someone is finally taking the one dimensionality out of the situation, and looking at the bigger picture. Yes, locking everyone in their house might have had some impact on covid, but at what other cost?

I was thinking of this analogy this morning, that you could chain 10 dudes to a pole on the edge of a cliff and come back a week later and say "Wow, we cured deaths from cliff diving!" Because no one could dive off the cliff, but meanwhile three dudes starved to death, two hung themselves with their chains, two others had their eyes eaten out by vultures and the others are so mentally scarred they'll never be the same again. But at least no one jumped off the cliff. 

I'd like to hope that if there is a life after covid, and a simple lesson learned from it, it is that there was still a world happening while there was covid. The single-minded focus on it at the expense of every single other thing on the planet, which still continues today in plenty of places, I am sure, will be viewed in history as an inexplicable thing. 

I agree with that of course, but I guess when it was 2000 deaths a day people started to get concerned where it was going (bearing in mind average deaths from all causes is around 1500 a day in UK).

I'm guessing that if a government had done nothing in that situation questions would be asked wtf they were doing.

Completely accept the situation was different in Oz.

Anyway don't want to dwell on this again, off to read some music threads.

Stay strong brother 💪 🙏 

Edited by Glen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to hear a lot of rubbish that at the end of this month when masks are no longer required in some indoor areas, apparently that's the end of all restrictions? Here's part of the article I was reading-

From 11:59pm on Friday, February 25, masks will only be required indoors in certain circumstances, including public transport, hospitals, and for workers in hospitality and retail.

"We're going to a situation on Friday where there are essentially no COVID rules, or so few that it's unrecognisable to what it was a year ago, and indeed what it was two years ago," Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Primary school students from grade 3 upwards will also still be required to wear a mask in the classroom

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/covid-mask-rules-to-be-eased-in-victoria/100850046

Is this cunt actually trying to take the piss, or he is just that much a cunt? Essentially no covid rules, but kids in schools are forced to wear masks, as are people on public transport, retail, hospitality and hospitals? But okay, that's just normal. No covid rules here... you fucking cunt. 

So does that mean masks are now permanently mandatory on trains, in hospitality and retail and hospitals? And in Victoria, schools too? I'm not sure if that's the same in NSW. I know my son is definitely not wearing a mask in year 3, so I don't know if that's just Victoria? But otherwise, it's just a given that they're now part of each of these settings forever? Because there's nothing at all about that that is saying to me that restrictions have ended. 

And just when I thought this level of cuntery was subsiding, we got a notice from our local surf life saving club (my kids do Nippers on the weekend) advising that... well, why not just paste the direct quote-

"The changes come into effect this week meaning that members who are not vaccinated are no longer able to perform club activities such as patrol, participate in competition or facilitate training."

To the club's credit they are very apologetic about it all, advising that it is a government directive and not their choice, especially midway through a season. 

I won't go into another tirade as all the comments I made above about firefighters being forced to be vaccinated apply to this scenario too. When are these brainless fucks going to understand that an unvaccinated lifeguard offers absolutely zero threat to anyone anywhere, except in a less than 1% scenario, himself? And that this same unvaccinated lifeguard (and colleagues alike) may be the difference between a person drowning at the beach or not. The level of brain cuntery just will not cease. 

What I wouldn't give to see a strain of covid that targeted covid mandate enforcers with complete lethality.

• Like 1