HUge news from the Martinsane camp!

martinsane

Well its been a minute since my last work/career related update and as many of you know I am/have been in construction/construction management my whole life, over 25 years. And as most of you know this industry has been sucking wind for a good number of years and even in its heyday the security of this career has been non existant.

I have been currently (the past 4 months) working as a residential construction superintendent, after my dabbling (10 months ) as a contractor for GSA as an estimator.

Well....last week I get a call from GSA wishing to interview me for a full time employ as a planner/estimator in one of 5 different west coast offices. And after 2 huge interviews, I get offered a position in the Portland, Oregon office! Wholly shit I say and so the misses and I mull over the opportunity of having the security of government employ with benefits and retirement, etc... compared to the highly unstable and certainly benefit-less word of residential construction.

So on January 14th 2013 I will be renting/residing in Portland, working for GSA and trying to rent/sell a house in Washington and get the family relocated to start our new and hopefully improved journey.

Wish me luck gang and if anyone has a couch for me to crash on in and around Portland (on the bus/train line) let me know as I certainly could use a little assistance with the whole relocation.

Hey, that's some awesome news, Terry !! CONGRATULATIONS !! :bananamac::dance: I know exactly how relieved you all are now. Feels great, doesn't it ? :P

How far is Portland from Washington ?

I lived out there with family briefly. The job market was even worse than Oklahoma so I headed back. I tried like hell to make the math work so I could go back. Just can't do it on Walmart money. My brother lives in Beaverton. Maybe you can hang out with him :).

Moving on up, no wait down, Cali will be next.

Portland has one really good thing, the Winterhawks, an unbelievable junior hockey team. Rattie, Wotherspoon, Jones, Pouliot, I know where I'd be spending on my weekend nights...the arena.

Thanks gang.

Scared shitless by the prospect of financing two residences and all that considering the $$$ is OK, but certainly not enough to support 2 households (again its the prospect of next years annual raise and as I mentioned then SECURITY of the workplace).

Bern'd, Portland, Oregon is about 2 and half 3 hours south of were I'm at now, so not too bad to come home on the weekends while we are figuring out the move.

And your right Jacob, as far as the job market there, I heard it is poor and Portlands cost of living is equal too Seattle.

Hockey. :) As you know Seattle is and has been a thriving b level hockey community forever and now that we are in the hunt for a pro team I move away. :) As far as Cali goese who knows, I've seen and heard that once you get into the fed work environ you can transfer all over North America, so who knows where I might be in 10 years...

Again thanks guys on your well wishes. I know we all never really talk about our close nit community that Big Dan has created, but it is certainly crucial to my well being.

More to come...

Cool news, man. Just think, soon you'll have an entirely new region of pawn shops and other CD scrounging possibilities waiting for you to come ravage'em!!

Dark Star (Sean) is somewhere in the Portland suburbs, maybe he can chime in here at some point...

Cool news, man. Just think, soon you'll have an entirely new region of pawn shops and other CD scrounging possibilities waiting for you to come ravage'em!!

Dark Star (Sean) is somewhere in the Portland suburbs, maybe he can chime in here at some point...

Terry... Good luck with the move. Hope you and your family thrive in your new surroundings.

As far as having new pawn shops and other places to scrounge... I'd be willing to bet that Terry has already hit those places on a few occasions. :rolleyes:

• My Little Pony

Terry... Good luck with the move. Hope you and your family thrive in your new surroundings.

As far as having new pawn shops and other places to scrounge... I'd be willing to bet that Terry has already hit those places on a few occasions. :rolleyes:

And I'm not so sure the Portland scene is any better than the Seattle scene. But I'm from Vancouver, so I can't say much.

And I'm not so sure the Portland scene is any better than the Seattle scene. But I'm from Vancouver, so I can't say much.

Portlands "used" music scene is super dead and Dave, your right I've been there and done that. :) And actually the vinyl scene thrives there, but the area has no bargains, the last time I was down there anything we were into was priced in and above the $20.00. For used vinyl!

The hunt for a place to crash continues and of course all the while preparing for the holidays.

" What a wond, wonderful stressfull time of the year." :)

Thanks alot guys. One month and counting.

Funny how after giving my notice at my current employ the management has turned into instant dicks...Makes me feel better about my decision anyway as I was quite pleased with the current work and the people there. True colors and all that I suppose...

I lived out there with family briefly. The job market was even worse than Oklahoma so I headed back. I tried like hell to make the math work so I could go back. Just can't do it on Walmart money. My brother lives in Beaverton. Maybe you can hang out with him :).

Shit! im going to Beaverton February 4th to help move my buddy back to Utah, what a coincidence!