Van Halen review

66 mustang

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to this one...VH as it should be w/Roth on mic.

without Anthony I think they lost a lot of their heart and soul. sometimes a guy is just more than a piece of the band and Michael was the glue that held the pieces together and was a positive piece of the band. now it is pretty much 3 vs 1 no matter what goes on or what the debate is.

And just downloaded two more songs from the album (legally).

Really having difficulty understanding why they thought Tattoo was a good lead off single when each of these songs is 100 times better than that one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0071GGI1Q samples here

Eh, so ok, those three are probably better than that Tattoo crap but it wouldn't take much to be better than that.

Can they put something together that has a little melody? These just sound like they went "hey, why don't you hit the drums fast as you can, you play your own deal on the guitar and I will just spout out lyrics of some nature". Ack.

Plenty of melody in those songs. Not sure what you was listening to.

Classic Van Halen sounding to a tee.

Here, let me help you...see those last 2 words? Not in my opinion. And not all "classic" Van Halen sound is a good thing. My opinion on them is the songs that made the radio were, for the most part, the only songs that were worth a shit.

mel·o·dy/ˈmelədē/

Noun:

A sequence of single notes that is musically satisfying.

Here let me help you, whats with the fucking attitude?

The word melody doesnt say, "musically satisfying to Jeff" last time I looked. You dont hear any melody, thats fine, but that doesnt mean it actually does lack melody.

Not sure what those last two words you are talking about either.

Really having difficulty understanding why they thought Tattoo was a good lead off single when each of these songs is 100 times better than that one.

Eh, so ok, those three are probably better than that Tattoo crap but it wouldn't take much to be better than that.

Can they put something together that has a little melody? These just sound like they went "hey, why don't you hit the drums fast as you can, you play your own deal on the guitar and I will just spout out lyrics of some nature". Ack.

Here, let me help you...see those last 2 words? Not in my opinion. And not all "classic" Van Halen sound is a good thing. My opinion on them is the songs that made the radio were, for the most part, the only songs that were worth a shit.

mel·o·dy/ˈmelədē/

Noun:

The word melody doesnt say, "musically satisfying to Jeff" last time I looked. You dont hear any melody, thats fine, but that doesnt mean it actually does lack melody.

You're the smart ass know it all that said "not sure what your are listening to", so what's with your fucking attitude?

You act like you're the only one who can have an opinion?

I don't like what I hear and I disagree with you and I reckon anyone else who has said positive things, but none of them get on my case because I don't like it. Not everyone agrees with everyone one this board. Most in this thread seem to like what they hear. That is their opinion and that is great. I have mine.

Yeah, "musically satisfying" are the 2 words. The word satisfying makes it open to opinion, therefore it is not musically satisfying to Jeff.

mel·o·dy/ˈmelədē/

Noun:

You're the smart ass know it all that said "not sure what your are listening to", so what's with your fucking attitude?

I don't like what I hear and I disagree with you and I reckon anyone else who has said positive things, but none of them get on my case because I don't like it. Not everyone agrees with everyone one this board. Most in this thread seem to like what they hear. That is their opinion and that is great. I have mine.

Yeah, "musically satisfying" are the 2 words. The word satisfying makes it open to opinion, therefore it is not musically satisfying to Jeff.

WOOT!

Note to self. Don't piss of the Jeff :whistle:

Mafia

Doods, doods. Tea, hugs and biscuits for all, please. Van Halen have and always will suck. Let's not fight about such a terrible band! ;)

Doods, doods. Tea, hugs and biscuits for all, please. Van Halen have and always will suck. Let's not fight about such a terrible band! ;)

I dunno, Geoff...I enjoy watching a good rumble once in awhile. :lol: But I do agree that it should be over a band far better than Van Halen. Never have understood this band's appeal. :huhsign:

Fair enough fella's...I'll leave the Van Halen threads alone for awhile. :tumbsup:

I'd rather argue with Wes on how great Parasite City is anyway. C'mon Wes, I'm ready to SING!!!!

Bring on the drunken vocal lessons...bring on July!

MAFIA

mel·o·dy/ˈmelədē/

Noun:

No I wasnt being a smart arse, I was pointing out that it had melody, something you are obviously fucking deaf to, and confuse your opinion with facts.

You then decided to be a condescending prick with a know it all attitude.

Cause its not like its the first time someone has said "I dunno what you are listening to" to someone on here, only difference is, you decided to act like a pissy cunt and start talking to me like I am a piece of shit.

Well, fuck you, simple as that.

You are fully entitled to your opinion, but you wanna talk to me like I am a piece of shit, when all I was doing was no different to the conversations on here about Steel Panther, or how bad the production on Hear sounds to one person, and suddenly you start taking it as a personal slight that you are not entitled to an opinion.

Fuck me, with attitudes like yours, is it any wonder traffic on this board is dying out.

There are probably four (possibly five) Van Halen albums that would make it into my ‘All Time Favourites’ list ... I saw them at Wembley in 1993 and 1995 (when they showed Bon Jovi how it should be done), and I've heard the original songs that some of these 'new' tracks are based on ... but what I've heard of the new album just sounds turgid to me - more like songs that DLR rejected from his last (proper) solo album (which I actually liked), or like the rubbish they put out with Gary Cherone ... how the mighty have fallen :crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt0QEHenIxY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7BT-aFUPEU&feature=related

If you don't like these tracks you aren't a fan of classic Van Halen. Eddie and Alex smoke on this one. Wolfgang might not be able to hit the notes like Mike did, but his bass playing is great. I'm one happy boy scout, loving it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN2v_qquKbc

This is what I believe true VH fans will freak for...no one except maybe Mr. Big a few times (Addicted To That Rush, Colorado Bulldog and Daddy,Brother, Lover Littel Boy) could just shred at top speed and kick it like VH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8oeCIPFGHw

This should have the lead off track. Not as commercial as Tattoo, but more classic VH in every way.

Enjoy, because these clips will surely get removed from Youtube within a few hours.

Wow, Van Halen ARE causing a stir............who'd have guessed ;-))

The sad part is, reading this thread is more entertaining than listening to their new album... :gone:

The sad part is, reading this thread is more entertaining than listening to their new album... :gone:

You're right. I was really looking forward to this album, but what I've heard so far just disappoints .... a bit like the two 'new' tracks with DLR that they added to their 'The Best Of ...' CD ... we were promised the moon and the stars, and got neither. Obviously, this makes me some sort of heretic in certain quarters, but I've loved this band for over 25 years, and my view is that their just tarnishing their reputation.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

If you don't like these tracks you aren't a fan of classic Van Halen. Eddie and Alex smoke on this one. Wolfgang might not be able to hit the notes like Mike did, but his bass playing is great. I'm one happy boy scout, loving it!!! (This should have been a quote from an earlier post - d'oh!)

I AM a fan of classic Van Halen - and as good as Eddie's playing might be (and I agree, in places it IS good), the songs just don't stand up when compared to the rest of their back catalogue (the appalling VH3, aside.) Will people be going to hear the new material when they tour? Somehow, I doubt it ...

I thought "Tattoo" was pretty weak, but these other tunes sound a bit more interesting. I've never been a huge fan (most of their albums have songs I love, and tons of stuff I consider filler) but I'll check this out...

You're right. I was really looking forward to this album, but what I've heard so far just disappoints .... a bit like the two 'new' tracks with DLR that they added to their 'The Best Of ...' CD ... we were promised the moon and the stars, and got neither. Obviously, this makes me some sort of heretic in certain quarters, but I've loved this band for over 25 years, and my view is that their just tarnishing their reputation.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

I actually thought those two tacks were nice - especially Can't Get This Stuff No More. Miles better than "tattoo, tattoo" being droned over and over again like a stuck record.

The new VH album has been mailed so should be arriving chez Parry on Monday. Can't wait to here it complete, as all the samples and bits 'n' bobs I ve heard so far sound great...so there :thppt: