Van Halen review

66 mustang

I have heard the whole thing in full(ran through it 3 times so far), and I am liking it a lot. 6 or so songs have been taken from old songs that were not used, and that is awesome! A cross between old Halen and DLR solo stuff. My favorites are(in no order) She's The Woman, You And Your Blues, China Town, Blood And Fire, Stay Frosty, Big River, Tattoo, Outta Space, and Beats Workin'. One of the best come backs imo.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened through this on the train this morning.

Granted I was never the diggest DLR Van Halen fan (except for the obvious few songs), but I found this quite challenging to listen to. The musianship is second none, with EVH proving time and again why is regarded as one of the greats...his soloing, riffing, picking etc is extraordinary in places and that thunderous rhythm section is prevalent throughout.

However none of this IMO can make up for a complete lack of hooks, and at least 50% filler...well to my ears in any case.

Songs I really enjoyed were 'You and Your Blues', 'China Town', 'Bullethead', and the awesome 'Outta Space'...man that was a killer.

So overall....great musicianship, but don't expect to be humming any tunes afterwards.

Granted I was never the diggest DLR Van Halen fan (except for the obvious few songs), but I found this quite challenging to listen to. The musianship is second none, with EVH proving time and again why is regarded as one of the greats...his soloing, riffing, picking etc is extraordinary in places and that thunderous rhythm section is prevalent throughout.

However none of this IMO can make up for a complete lack of hooks, and at least 50% filler...well to my ears in any case.

Songs I really enjoyed were 'You and Your Blues', 'China Town', 'Bullethead', and the awesome 'Outta Space'...man that was a killer.

So overall....great musicianship, but don't expect to be humming any tunes afterwards.

Well that was, IMO, a bit indicative of their sound/style through the Hagar years anyway. Aside from "5150" (their most commercial disc IMO) they just released albums that relied on strong musicianship/solos etc without the warm/hooky choruses. Everything from "OU812" onwards was the same. Therefore is no surprise this one is light on mainstream tunes. In typical VH style, it has some great songs, some decent songs, and some that I'll skip every time.

Well that was, IMO, a bit indicative of their sound/style through the Hagar years anyway. Aside from "5150" (their most commercial disc IMO) they just released albums that relied on strong musicianship/solos etc without the warm/hooky choruses. Everything from "OU812" onwards was the same. Therefore is no surprise this one is light on mainstream tunes. In typical VH style, it has some great songs, some decent songs, and some that I'll skip every time.

"At least 50% filler?" You're being way too kind there, mate.

I'll give it a few more spins before the final detailed dismemberment, but like Tim said, it's another awful album, but nothing you'd not come to already expect from Van Halen as they've been releasing this kind of rubbish for decades.

'Outta Space' possibly was about as good as it got on first listen, but it's still shit. I can acknowledge the musicianship, I guess, but if this is the result of good musicianship and BBABH is bad musicianship (pf which I'm still not convinced) then I'll take the bad musicianship everytime. At least they can write a decent song. Seriously, stuff like 'Beats workin,' 'Stay frosty' and most of the other songs on this are serious attempts at creating good music? Wowser, they sure have me fooled.

I'll give it a few more spins before the final detailed dismemberment, but like Tim said, it's another awful album, but nothing you'd not come to already expect from Van Halen as they've been releasing this kind of rubbish for decades.

'Outta Space' possibly was about as good as it got on first listen, but it's still shit. I can acknowledge the musicianship, I guess, but if this is the result of good musicianship and BBABH is bad musicianship (pf which I'm still not convinced) then I'll take the bad musicianship everytime. At least they can write a decent song. Seriously, stuff like 'Beats workin,' 'Stay frosty' and most of the other songs on this are serious attempts at creating good music? Wowser, they sure have me fooled.

see other thread.

They cannot be criticised for producing an old school Van Halen album - you either like this stuff or you dont...simple as that. For every person saying 'this is shit'...there is another saying 'wow, Van Halen are back' and proclaiming it as 'great'.

Me, Im somewhere in between.....I can see the appeal of this music and the musicianship is awesome. Hardly any hooks, but that's not what Van Halen are about.....you cant deny that quite a few of these songs groove...big time. It is a different appeal.

I guess, but if this is the result of good musicianship and BBABH is bad musicianship (pf which I'm still not convinced) then I'll take the bad musicianship everytime.

If you wanna fight, I'm ready? Oh yeah. Bring it on.

Jesus Geoff, why even bother? I've never liked rap music, therefore I won't go buying a new album from some rapper knowing full well I'll hate it. I'd had been shocked if you actually did like it...scared actually. I for one love Van Halen, both versions always have, always will.

I guess, but if this is the result of good musicianship and BBABH is bad musicianship (pf which I'm still not convinced) then I'll take the bad musicianship everytime.

I like the BBABH, and there are a few killer songs, but the over produced/almost programmed sound of some tracks puts me off a bit. The new HEAT song absolutely wipes the floor with it IMO.

Sure mate, let's battle. I have some new highlighter pink headgear, though, so hit as hard as you can. Jesus and my headgear will defeat you. But seriously, I honestly think if you listen to both albums back to back... in fact, I would bet one of my testicles that you'd prefer the BBABH disc. I wouldn't even ask you for the money for the stamp - I'd just send that ball to your door.

Jesus Geoff, why even bother? I've never liked rap music, therefore I won't go buying a new album from some rapper knowing full well I'll hate it. I'd had been shocked if you actually did like it...scared actually. I for one love Van Halen, both versions always have, always will.

Why do I bother? Because every single other member on the forum isn't going to be talking about some rapper this year. Seriously, mate, I'm a curious man and I'd go insane seeing everyone talking about this all year without at least seeing what everyone's talking about.

And to be honest, I kind of hoped they would have that one or two songs that they have on every 2nd or 3rd album that is actually good. Sadly, they decided to go without this time... like they do on most their discs. ;)

Sure mate, let's battle. I have some new highlighter pink headgear, though, so hit as hard as you can. Jesus and my headgear will defeat you. But seriously, I honestly think if you listen to both albums back to back... in fact, I would bet one of my testicles that you'd prefer the BBABH disc. I wouldn't even ask you for the money for the stamp - I'd just send that ball to your door.

. Seriously, mate, I'm a curious man and I'd go insane seeing everyone talking about this all year

wowser, Im done already.......i'll leave you to it ;-))

GUYS!!! You are comparing BBABH, Van Halen and H.E.A.T.?!?!

apple.jpg

oranges.jpg

I will be come year end, so why not now?

What with the apple anyway??

The image of the oranges didn't show up as I wanted to.

OrangeBloss_wb.jpg

Comparing all these bands is nonsense

Why do I bother? Because every single other member on the forum isn't going to be talking about some rapper this year. Seriously, mate, I'm a curious man and I'd go insane seeing everyone talking about this all year without at least seeing what everyone's talking about.

And to be honest, I kind of hoped they would have that one or two songs that they have on every 2nd or 3rd album that is actually good. Sadly, they decided to go without this time... like they do on most their discs. ;)

For a band I don't really like or neer really have (for example: AC/DC) my curiosity would have stopped after some samples or tracks off of Youtube.

For a band I don't really like or neer really have (for example: AC/DC) my curiosity would have stopped after some samples or tracks off of Youtube.

Nah mate, there's enough commentary doing the rounds from people who just assume something is crap without actually giving it a chance. If I critique a band or CD I like to know that it is shit before I comment... not just make a guess. ;)

BTW, you know I haven't bought this, amirite? I'm not that silly. :)

Back in Black > any Van Halen album

Just sayin' ;-)

Your sayin' rubbish, that's what your sayin' right?

nope, me thinks me is spot on actually - BIB would be close to my top 10 albums of all time.

Well... I think the musicianship is damn good on this disk, but listening closely, I wonder how many are reworked/re-recorded demo's and how many they actually used the original material with Eddie playing over it with new guitar... Either way, I was never "huge" into VH back in the day, but I did like several tunes from various albums.

As far as this one goes, I liked

Tattoo (after 4-5 spins, it grew on me)

She's The Woman

You And Your Blues

Blood & Fire

The Trouble With Never

Big River

Beat's Workin

Stay Frosty (I think it's a chance at another Ice Cream Man)

Just picked this up today.. And I gotta say.. I LIKE it!!! :headbanger: I agree the single Tattoo is probably the low point of the album but even that's not a BAD tune really... Stay Frosty is another Ice Cream Man I think..... SO far I haven't hit fast forward on ANY of the songs.. they are ALL pretty damn good!! I admit I was worried after hearing Tattoo, but I am glad I picked it up, it is Excellent!!!! :beerbang:

Seriously....I didn't, and couldn't read all the moronic comments in this thread about the new Van Halen even before the disc was released but I will say this...and I've been at this a loooooong time. This album fucking rawks.........end of story. If you don't like it......it's your own damn fault!! haha