Eclipse - Wired

Stefan

• 1 month later...

Got this a day early and gave this album a spin.  Only been a couple listens but really dig it.

Now I didn't find myself caring all that much for their last album and for me, Paradigm was my least favorite of their last 4 albums.  I know a lot has been said about their sound and formula getting stale but I'm not sure that's exactly why I didn't care much for the album...even though I've had just about enough of their songs about Blood, Kings and battle lol.  I think it was more that I just didn't get into the songs themselves all that much.  I really only find myself going back to a few tunes from it.

While the sound on Wired doesn't deviate much from their typical formula, to me these songs are just melodic, catchy, hook filled and easy to get into.  And I don't find myself listening and wondering what the heck the song is even about like I did a couple times on Paradigm.      

Need more listens to see how it settles but think I'm digging this way more than Paradigm and a bit more than Monumentum also.  Definitely will be landing somewhere in my top 5 this year.   

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, zacharyamelie said:

I don’t understand the overall dislike of their last release. To me it has three of the best Eclipse tracks...Viva La Victoria, Mary Leigh and the insanely awesome Delirious. 

New track is fun and singable but cheesy for sure. 

Extra cheesy. That's why I don't like it. Musically it's great but those lyrics.....

Good album. I seem to look forward to Eclipse albums more now that Martensson isn't on every album released in a year. Seems a bit more special now. Some really good, cracking stuff like 'Roses On Your Grave,' 'Poison Inside My Heart,' 'Bite The Bullet' and 'Dead Inside.' 

Can't leave the thread without mentioning how shit 'Run For Cover' is, though. Probably the most poorly written song I've heard from Martensson. So weak. I also don't care much for 'Things We Love,' 'Dying Breed' (also quite poor) and 'Carved In Stone.' So a few more fillers than usual, but the rest is all good listening. 

27 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

Anyone know the bonus track?

Streaming and CD had Dead Inside as a bonus.  The vinyl has the track Ain't No Fun instead of Dead Inside.

I think the Japan version includes Dead Inside and the Japan bonus track is a stripped down version of Carved In Stone.  

I could care less about the Japan track but would like to hear the vinyl bonus track.  Haven't found it anywhere for listening yet.

2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Streaming and CD had Dead Inside as a bonus.  The vinyl has the track Ain't No Fun instead of Dead Inside.

I think the Japan version includes Dead Inside and the Japan bonus track is a stripped down version of Carved In Stone.  

I could care less about the Japan track but would like to hear the vinyl bonus track.  Haven't found it anywhere for listening yet.

This makes me want to hear it! Via blabbermouth:

Notably, the vinyl edition features another excellent bonus track, "Ain't No Fun", that's exclusive to the format — and even more interestingly, it's sequenced as song #3 on the LP rather than being tacked on at the end. Thirty-five years ago, a track like this would have topped the "Dial MTV" countdown for weeks, but in 2021, it's just another standout ECLIPSE song on just another standout ECLIPSE album.

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Cool, thanks.  That is what I thought I read somewhere.  I hate this whole "bonus" from other Country shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

This makes me want to hear it! Via blabbermouth:

Notably, the vinyl edition features another excellent bonus track, "Ain't No Fun", that's exclusive to the format — and even more interestingly, it's sequenced as song #3 on the LP rather than being tacked on at the end. Thirty-five years ago, a track like this would have topped the "Dial MTV" countdown for weeks, but in 2021, it's just another standout ECLIPSE song on just another standout ECLIPSE album.

You have it/heard it?!  SHARE?

2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

No. Came from this review on Blabbermouth:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/cdreviews/wired/

I knew I read it somewhere!!  MTV hit = Must hear for Ain't No Fun!!   I really hate this shit man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

I knew I read it somewhere!!  MTV hit = Must hear for Ain't No Fun!!   I really hate this shit man!

Totally agree on the bonus track garbage.  I get the point to try and push sales with Japan and such....

But honestly....if it was about money which it clearly is with the "exclusive" vinyl bonus track, wouldn't they make more money just making it a one off single that people could download rather than chucking it on a CD or vinyl that people who want those media are going to buy anyways?

Or if you're going to use bonus tracks to incentivize physical purchases, put the same bonuses on every physical product.  Do try making a fan buy both a vinyl and a CD.  It's just irritating.  

I'm surprised Frontiers didn't put another exclusive bonus track on the cassette to make people buy that too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Totally agree on the bonus track garbage.  I get the point to try and push sales with Japan and such....

But honestly....if it was about money which it clearly is with the "exclusive" vinyl bonus track, wouldn't they make more money just making it a one off single that people could download rather than chucking it on a CD or vinyl that people who want those media are going to buy anyways?

Or if you're going to use bonus tracks to incentivize physical purchases, put the same bonuses on every physical product.  Do try making a fan buy both a vinyl and a CD.  It's just irritating.  

I'm surprised Frontiers didn't put another exclusive bonus track on the cassette to make people buy that too.

You can ask anyone who knows me how big a fan I am of my music, BUT I just don't have the money to buy multiple versions or even the just the Japan version of a cd, especially for ONE additional song. 

• Like 3