Most overrated albums ever (all genres)

JamesEagle

Whitesnake - Live in the Heart of The City

Presumably that one includes a drum solo; in which case, I would end up smashing the CD into as many pieces as I could...

Plus I always thought Dave's voice was really poor live. :whistle:

Taxiiiiiiii!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably that one includes a drum solo; in which case, I would end up smashing the CD into as many pieces as I could...

well it is from about 1980 so his voice sounds a million bucks imo. Is there a drum solo, you know I honestly cant remember??

There is a skip button you know......dont have to listen to it lol.

In fact here are a few live albums from over the years which I really rate - in no order

MSG - One Night In Budokan

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie

Black Sabbath - Live Evil

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Love all of these ...The RJD-fronted Sabbath also put out a limited CD under the title 'Live At Hammersmith' which is rather fantastic ... it's from '81/'82 and includes Country Girl and Slipping Away in addition to the titles that made it onto Live Evil ...

That also made as the extra disc with the deluxe version of 'The Mob Rules'. Great live album.

Pretty much agree with all those on Glen's live list..Al excellent.

In fact here are a few live albums from over the years which I really rate - in no order

MSG - One Night In Budokan

REO - You Get What U Play For

Two of my TOP 5 Live Releases of all time.

Another one I really like is Y&T - "Yesterday And Today Live" (1991)

That Y&T is killer.

I had a cassette boot of them from the early 80s at a festival in the uk I think - Reading? (Jez would know) - that was killer too

1980 I think that was.bud!!

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast

Judas Priest - British Steel

KISS - Destroyer / Creatures Of The Night

Mötley Crüe - Shout At The Devil

:yikes: You, sir, are dead to me now. :D

Those are 5 of the greatest Hard Rock/Metal albums ever IMO.

well it is from about 1980 so his voice sounds a million bucks imo. Is there a drum solo, you know I honestly cant remember??

There is a skip button you know......dont have to listen to it lol.

Ah, Dave's voice on that album is sublime ... les gonads du chien, as our French friends would say ...

Most everything from Motley Crue, AC/DC, KISS, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. These big boys are all well over hyped in my opinion, they all have some good songs, but for the most part they did not deserve the superstar status they got with their music alone. KISS is about the only band I've listed that I could make a decent best of that included at least 12 really good songs, maybe 8 songs from Iron Maiden, as for the others I wouldn't even bother.

Down the nailz! Put venom, motorhead, saxon (except unleash the beast) and exclude sabbath (Martin era especially, having in mind how they treat him, makes it even more special). Btw, i have more versions of "ample destruction" in the shelves of my collection than maiden songs. :whistle:

Those are 5 of the greatest Hard Rock/Metal albums ever IMO.

I love all these albums, but the one I really disagree with is Shout At The Devil-Absolute Killer!!!

Anything by Steel Panther.

Believe that.

Ha ha probably the most underrated band imo

Yeah, it's more a case of the most cried and whined about band ever... definitely not over-rated. All I ever hear is most people complaining about how good they'd be if they had dime-a-dozen boring cliche lyrics. This crowd seems to way outnumber the crowd who does actually rate them for the pure awesomeness that they actually are. So like Glen points out, under-rated, if anything.

I still wonder what Suicide's personal vendetta against the band is. The only posts I ever see here are either Eonian related posts, which is cool, but aside from that, it appears the only other posts I ever see are anti-Steel Panther posts. Dudes must have seriously personally done something to him to make him such a bitter blouse wearer. Somebody hand that man a box of tissues so he can just let it all out and be done with it. ;)

kinda overrated

Blue Murder - s/t

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

I really love Love/Hate - BITRR too.

I do agree with some of your picks mate, but Blue Murder is one of my favourite albums of all time. Probably in my top 20 or 30 if I was to list them. John Sykes = legend!

Believe that.

Yeah, it's more a case of the most cried and whined about band ever... definitely not over-rated. All I ever hear is most people complaining about how good they'd be if they had dime-a-dozen boring cliche lyrics. This crowd seems to way outnumber the crowd who does actually rate them for the pure awesomeness that they actually are. So like Glen points out, under-rated, if anything.

I still wonder what Suicide's personal vendetta against the band is. The only posts I ever see here are either Eonian related posts, which is cool, but aside from that, it appears the only other posts I ever see are anti-Steel Panther posts. Dudes must have seriously personally done something to him to make him such a bitter blouse wearer. Somebody hand that man a box of tissues so he can just let it all out and be done with it. ;)

I like Steel Panther. They are good fun, play well and write some funny lyrics. However, having listened to the music a few times, I'm not really bothered about listening to it any more. For me, the tunes are nothing special; they wear thin after a short time. So in the context of this forum, where many people seem to rate them very highly, I'd go along with saying they are overrated.

I'd still love to see them live. The joke's still funny (so far) but I can always find music I'd rather listen to.

.....such a bitter blouse wearer. Somebody hand that man a box of tissues so he can just let it all out and be done with it. ;)

In size 'Large' please....

il_570xN.402730665_myg5.jpg

That shirt is straight out of the Redd Kross collection if their ever was one... :)

That'd suit you real well, Suicide. I'm sure your good friends at the feminist rallies you no doubt frequent (and lead?) would adore it. ;)

Believe that.

I like Steel Panther. They are good fun, play well and write some funny lyrics. However, having listened to the music a few times, I'm not really bothered about listening to it any more. For me, the tunes are nothing special; they wear thin after a short time. So in the context of this forum, where many people seem to rate them very highly, I'd go along with saying they are overrated.

I'd still love to see them live. The joke's still funny (so far) but I can always find music I'd rather listen to.

See I'm the opposite. The reason I hold them in such high regard is that when you take away the gimmick for similar bands, you're often left with nothing - just a real group of shitkickers. But you take away the gimmick from Steel Panther and you're still left with what is arguably the purest 80's style hard rock band on the current scene, imo. No one sounds like these guys in 2012 and I spun the 2 discs today just relishing every musical moment of what was going on. Huge riffs, great hooks, catchy choruses - killer vocalist and equally killer musicians. Like I've always said, the lyrics are just one other plus for me, but even without that, you still have a truly excellent hard rock band. Plus they're amazing live.

Believe that.

I still wonder what Suicide's personal vendetta against the band is. The only posts I ever see here are either Eonian related posts, which is cool, but aside from that, it appears the only other posts I ever see are anti-Steel Panther posts. Dudes must have seriously personally done something to him to make him such a bitter blouse wearer. Somebody hand that man a box of tissues so he can just let it all out and be done with it. wink.png

See I'm the opposite. The reason I hold them in such high regard is that when you take away the gimmick for similar bands, you're often left with nothing - just a real group of shitkickers. But you take away the gimmick from Steel Panther and you're still left with what is arguably the purest 80's style hard rock band on the current scene, imo. No one sounds like these guys in 2012 and I spun the 2 discs today just relishing every musical moment of what was going on. Huge riffs, great hooks, catchy choruses - killer vocalist and equally killer musicians. Like I've always said, the lyrics are just one other plus for me, but even without that, you still have a truly excellent hard rock band. Plus they're amazing live.

Absolutely backed.

.... you take away the gimmick from Steel Panther and you're still left with what is arguably the purest 80's style hard rock band on the current scene, imo. No one sounds like these guys in 2012 and I spun the 2 discs today just relishing every musical moment of what was going on. Huge riffs, great hooks, catchy choruses - killer vocalist and equally killer musicians. Like I've always said, the lyrics are just one other plus for me, but even without that, you still have a truly excellent hard rock band. Plus they're amazing live.

:screwy:

Believe that.

I still wonder what Suicide's personal vendetta against the band is. The only posts I ever see here are either Eonian related posts, which is cool, but aside from that, it appears the only other posts I ever see are anti-Steel Panther posts. Dudes must have seriously personally done something to him to make him such a bitter blouse wearer. Somebody hand that man a box of tissues so he can just let it all out and be done with it. wink.png

Absolutely backed.

+ 1

kinda overrated

Blue Murder - s/t

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

I really love Love/Hate - BITRR too.

I do agree with some of your picks mate, but Blue Murder is one of my favourite albums of all time. Probably in my top 20 or 30 if I was to list them. John Sykes = legend!

Overrated or not is a case of personal opinion I guess. John Sykes is a great singer and also player, but the songs on Blue Murder just didn't really work out for me. Not that it's awfully bad. It's more like a 70% for me top while everybody seems to praise it to 85% something and same goes for Love/Hate :)

The Darkness - 'Permission to Land' - I know most people here with a good ear and common sense hate this rubbish as much as I do, but enough people didn't and this ended up huge, with the band becoming a household name based on this bad joke. The thing that really frustrates me about this is that once you take the gimmick away (to which I laughed aloud heavily at [not with] when I first heard it)... but once you take that away, you're left with one decent hook ('I believe in a thing called love') and one good song ('Growing On Me'). The rest is a pure violation of what music should be. It is a terribly below average rock CD. It is truly a collection of really dud, shitty songs and it's criminal that these guys enjoy success for such mediocrity when there are so many other worthwhile bands.

....and yet some people who say this like Steel Panther who are the epitome of twats taking everyone for a ride ! :wtf:

The Darkness - 'Permission to Land' - I know most people here with a good ear and common sense hate this rubbish as much as I do, but enough people didn't and this ended up huge, with the band becoming a household name based on this bad joke. The thing that really frustrates me about this is that once you take the gimmick away (to which I laughed aloud heavily at [not with] when I first heard it)... but once you take that away, you're left with one decent hook ('I believe in a thing called love') and one good song ('Growing On Me'). The rest is a pure violation of what music should be. It is a terribly below average rock CD. It is truly a collection of really dud, shitty songs and it's criminal that these guys enjoy success for such mediocrity when there are so many other worthwhile bands.

....and yet some people who say this like Steel Panther who are the epitome of twats taking everyone for a ride ! :wtf:

I don't understand what you mean "taking everyone for a ride," handsome? If you refer to a ride of pure excellent hard rock enjoyment, I agree, and I'm on that ride and loving it. :)

I didn't mention The Darkness by name in my above post because I wasn't looking for some silly band comparison argument, but they are exactly what I was referring to. You take away this poofter's voice and no one in the world would have noticed 'Permission to Land.' Argue that all you want, but I'd bet my ballsack on it. Without the gimmick they're just another pub quality band with mediocre songs bar one or two on each of their albums. And they have a singer that can actually literally not sing. As in the dude cannot actually hold a note, ever. I will admit that on the Stone Gods album the band sound pretty damn good and that is a great CD, and even on the new disc with a good production job the band sound alright musically. But the songs for the most part are extremely weak and like I said, without the gimmick, I don't think any more than 20 people or so would ever have noticed this band.