Most overrated albums ever (all genres)

JamesEagle

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast

Judas Priest - British Steel

I'm with you on British Steel, not a patch on a number of other Priest albums and quite boring imo.

Not sure about the Iron Maiden one - the title track is pretty fantastic. I would like to add these though:

Iron Maiden - s/t

Iron Maiden - Killers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judas Priest: British Steel (Screaming and Painkiller both piss all over it from a great height)

As above, agree with this one.

Guns n' Roses: Use Your Illusion (both of 'em ... enough good songs to make one killer album and a whole bunch of filler!)

Well said, I should have mentioned these. Although I would slightly reword it to say, "enough good songs to make a fairly good EP".

Maybe you're not such a numpty after all...

Whitesnake: 1987 (I know the vast majority of people on here LOVE this album, but I just don't get it)

On second thoughts, you need medical help.

Nelson: After The Rain (I had the damn thing on vinyl AND CD ... two admittedly fantastic songs, but I'm hard pushed to remember anything else on the album)

I like the disc but agree it's way over-rated and full of weaker tracks amongst a couple of real gems.

Whitesnake: 1987 (I know the vast majority of people on here LOVE this album, but I just don't get it)

For a long while I'd have agreed with you on this one - spent about a decade trying to "get" that disc fully, but I dunno. I just like it and I don't know why. It's far from magnificent, but just likeable. But over-rated, yeah, it probably is.

30 Seconds To Mars (Jared Leto may well be the most chiselled man to ever front a band, but there's only one decent song in their entire back catalogue)

Their first two are solid but entirely forgettable. But I have to say, I really think they turned it up for 'This is War.' I think that's a pretty great disc, but yeah, still far from perfect.

Whitesnake 1987 is a great one imo.

So is Nelson. A couple of weaker tracks, but I mostly really like that album.

As for me being a bastard, well Ive been called worse, but Operation Mindcrime is still boring ;-)

• My Little Pony

As for me being a bastard, well Ive been called worse, but Operation Mindcrime is still boring ;-)

Well, I have a few other choice words, but I'd only use them if I met you in person. ;}

Well, I have a few other choice words, but I'd only use them if I met you in person. ;}

Only over a beer.

• My Little Pony

Only over a beer.

Of course.

Only over a beer.

Of course.

Avoid the Stella though, fellas. ;)

• My Little Pony

Only over a beer.

Of course.

Avoid the Stella though, fellas. ;)

I don't touch the stuff. It's not dark enough.

I think any album that was a massive commercial success is overrated in one way or another but that really comes down to personal taste.

For instance Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet is a great great album, but is it that much better than New Jersey or Keep the Faith or even the first two albums for that matter? Does that make it overrated depending on your taste and which album is your favorite? I think so(begin the beatings now!).

I think any album that was a massive commercial success is overrated in one way or another but that really comes down to personal taste.

For instance Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet is a great great album, but is it that much better than New Jersey or Keep the Faith or even the first two albums for that matter? Does that make it overrated depending on your taste and which album is your favorite? I think so(begin the beatings now!).

I've always preferred the debut, but hey that's just me.

About half of Slippery is fantastically awesome, but there are some weaker tracks for sure, so yeah I guess it is a tad overrated.

There's no denying the hits tho.

Any of the AC/DC releases are way overrated in my book.

I know that many people think DIRTY LOOKS sounds like AC/DC... But for my money, DIRTY LOOKS is 100x better. Many also say RHINO BUCKET sounds a bit like AC/DC.. I'll take RHINO BUCKET any day.

• My Little Pony

I know that many people think DIRTY LOOKS sounds like AC/DC... But for my money, DIRTY LOOKS is 100x better. Many also say RHINO BUCKET sounds a bit like AC/DC.. I'll take RHINO BUCKET any day.

Preach it, brother.

Preach it, brother.

Would agree to a certain extent but man Back In Black is a classic....so many smokin tunes on that album.

I agree that Dirty Looks are 100 times better than AC/DC... but as for Rhino Bucket. Uh, yeah, I will leave this discussion now. ;)

I agree that Dirty Looks are 100 times better than AC/DC... but as for Rhino Bucket. Uh, yeah, I will leave this discussion now. ;)

:lol: For me, Dirty Looks are massively overrated. Oh, the irony! :D

Only 2 of their albums are really great......the rest are, well overrated actually lol!!

...And their best albums aren't anywhere near classic AC/DC stuff either.

Only 2 of their albums are really great......the rest are, well overrated actually lol!!

But are they even that highly rated that they can be qualified as over-rated? I doubt it...

Yeah I was only jesting about that. Was just implying that a fair bit of their output is average at best, so not as good as AC/DC. Esp the classic stuff like Black In Black, Highway To Hell, For those About To Rock.

Stick the 2 on the same bill and I know which band would be blown away, even 30 years after their peak lol. Says it all really.

But are they even that highly rated that they can be qualified as over-rated? I doubt it...

They seem very highly rated by hard rock fans, so for me overrated applies! :whistle:

Yeah I was only jesting about that. Was just implying that a fair bit of their output is average at best, so not as good as AC/DC. Esp the classic stuff like Black In Black, Highway To Hell, For those About To Rock.

Stick the 2 on the same bill and I know which band would be blown away, even 30 years after their peak lol. Says it all really.

Yeah, to each their own. I don't hate AC/DC but I have never bought, or never entertained the thought of EVER buying one of their CDs. I feel like I know 100 of their songs, and they're all the same. Nice, and I don't dislike them. But they're very here nor there to me. I do like Dirty Looks, though.

Most everything from Motley Crue, AC/DC, KISS, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. These big boys are all well over hyped in my opinion, they all have some good songs, but for the most part they did not deserve the superstar status they got with their music alone. KISS is about the only band I've listed that I could make a decent best of that included at least 12 really good songs, maybe 8 songs from Iron Maiden, as for the others I wouldn't even bother.

Most everything from Motley Crue, AC/DC, KISS, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. These big boys are all well over hyped in my opinion, they all have some good songs, but for the most part they did not deserve the superstar status they got with their music alone. KISS is about the only band I've listed that I could make a decent best of that included at least 12 really good songs, maybe 8 songs from Iron Maiden, as for the others I wouldn't even bother.

Now Aerosmith I could agree with but the others I love especially with Kiss and Maiden as their my two favorite bands. And with Sabbath especially Dio era Sabs is my fav.