Most overrated albums ever (all genres)

JamesEagle

Most everything from Motley Crue, AC/DC, KISS, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. These big boys are all well over hyped in my opinion, they all have some good songs, but for the most part they did not deserve the superstar status they got with their music alone. KISS is about the only band I've listed that I could make a decent best of that included at least 12 really good songs, maybe 8 songs from Iron Maiden, as for the others I wouldn't even bother.

Bloody hell mate only 8 good Maiden songs lol. There's at least 5 killers on NOTB alone lol.

I always judge a bands quality on their live performance and I can honestly say that their gigs on the NOTB & Piece of Mind tours were absolutely phenomenal - so yeah I would say they completely deserve their success.

Some of their recent output has been hit & miss but back in the 80s they were a force, no doubt.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most everything from Motley Crue, AC/DC, KISS, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden. These big boys are all well over hyped in my opinion, they all have some good songs, but for the most part they did not deserve the superstar status they got with their music alone. KISS is about the only band I've listed that I could make a decent best of that included at least 12 really good songs, maybe 8 songs from Iron Maiden, as for the others I wouldn't even bother.

Bloody hell mate only 8 good Maiden songs lol. There's at least 5 killers on NOTB alone lol.

I always judge a bands quality on their live performance and I can honestly say that their gigs on the NOTB & Piece of Mind tours were absolutely phenomenal - so yeah I would say they completely deserve their success.

Some of their recent output has been hit & miss but back in the 80s they were a force, no doubt.

I like quite a few Maiden songs, but I do think Iron Maiden, Killers and Powerslave are all hugely overrated albums. Personally, I didn't rate any of them. And as for Live After Death... <shudder>

I like quite a few Maiden songs, but I do think Iron Maiden, Killers and Powerslave are all hugely overrated albums. Personally, I didn't rate any of them. And as for Live After Death... <shudder>

Oh no, Powerslave is my favourite Maiden album and Live After Death is brilliant imo. :D

Oh no, Powerslave is my favourite Maiden album and Live After Death is brilliant imo. :D

Yeah sorry mate Live After Death is one of the best live albums ever IMO

There you go, order is restored! Back to disagreeing again. :D

I hate live albums (with the notable exception of 'Live and Dangerous')!

I agree with you mate. I hate live albums too.

Agree Glen!

I agree with you mate. I hate live albums too.

I like very few live albums, I really don't listen or care for them much.

Judas Priest: British Steel (Screaming and Painkiller both piss all over it from a great height)

As above, agree with this one.

Guns n' Roses: Use Your Illusion (both of 'em ... enough good songs to make one killer album and a whole bunch of filler!)

Well said, I should have mentioned these. Although I would slightly reword it to say, "enough good songs to make a fairly good EP".

Maybe you're not such a numpty after all...

Whitesnake: 1987 (I know the vast majority of people on here LOVE this album, but I just don't get it)

On second thoughts, you need medical help.

I think we established THAT a looooong time ago :) I know you adore '1987' with a passion, and would have its babies if you could, but I'm going to stay over here in the 'Really Don't Get What All The Fuss Is About' camp ... I'm not saying that I hate the thing, just that I don't see why people get so worked up about it ...While I'm here, how about Blue Oyster Cult's 'Agents Of Fortune'? Yes, I know it's got THAT song on it, but 'Secret Treaties' and 'Imaginos' are vastly superior, if you ask me ...

Yeah, but you don't like live albums. Live After Death is one of the best live albums I've ever heard (and, as you know, I've heard a few!)

See? :)

Agree Glen!

I don't think anyone could touch Maiden in the 80s - and, as much as I love the band, I have to agree with Glen ... their recent output has been patchy ...

While we're talking about live albums, can I hold Priest's 'Unleashed In the East' up as being a fine example of a hugely over-rated live album?

I know you adore '1987' with a passion, and would have its babies if you could, but I'm going to stay over here in the 'Really Don't Get What All The Fuss Is About' camp ... I'm not saying that I hate the thing, just that I don't see why people get so worked up about it ...

Okay, it's like this. I will agree that some of the songs are good, but not fantastic. 'Give Me All Your Love', 'Looking for Love' and 'Straight for the Heart' are okay, but I can do without them. The thing is, 'Still of the Night', 'Crying In The Rain' and 'Children of the Night' are all f**ing amazing songs. The guitar solo in CITR is, for me, one of the top 3 ever committed to record. There are other excellent songs, but those three are, imo, absolutely killer and completely indispensable.

While we're talking about live albums, can I hold Priest's 'Unleashed In the East' up as being a fine example of a hugely over-rated live album?

I like it. A great best of the 70's era. But not a classic for sure.

I like it. A great best of the 70's era. But not a classic for sure.

Yeah, I like it ... but it's not the saviour of live albums that some critics seem to think it is ... I bought it expecting to be utterly blown away ... I wasn't (give me 'Live And Dangerous' or 'Strangers In The Night' any day!)

In fact here are a few live albums from over the years which I really rate - in no order

Whitesnake - Live in the Heart of The City

Journey - Captured

MSG - One Night In Budokan

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Kiss - Alive II

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie

AC/DC - If You Want Blood

Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith

REO - You Get What U Play For

Black Sabbath - Live Evil

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Threshold - Critical Energy

• My Little Pony

In fact here are a few live albums from over the years which I really rate - in no order

Journey - Captured

Kiss - Alive II

AC/DC - If You Want Blood

Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith

Threshold - Critical Energy

I don't listen to live albums often, but Genesis - Live Over Europe 2007 might be my favourite.

Two of my TOP 5 Live Releases of all time.

Another one I really like is Y&T - "Yesterday And Today Live" (1991)

That Y&T is killer.

That Y&T is killer.

I had a cassette boot of them from the early 80s at a festival in the uk I think - Reading? (Jez would know) - that was killer too

Presumably that one includes a drum solo; in which case, I would end up smashing the CD into as many pieces as I could...

Plus I always thought Dave's voice was really poor live. :whistle:

Love all of these ...The RJD-fronted Sabbath also put out a limited CD under the title 'Live At Hammersmith' which is rather fantastic ... it's from '81/'82 and includes Country Girl and Slipping Away in addition to the titles that made it onto Live Evil ...