Most overrated albums ever (all genres)

JamesEagle

Pshaw my mate... a lot of what you say there could be applied to SP. The band pretty much spell out any jokes in their music/"lyrics" and push them right into your face I guess because they figure that the people that their music appeals to are gonna be to dumb to figure out any innuendo contained within. Another band who if it hadn't been for their image, novelty tunes and bad wigs (more wigs here than a Kiss gig) would have gotten nowhere. I could imagine them as one of the dumb wannbee kids in the Decline and Fall of Western Civilisation....but they got older and figured out how to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The Spinal Tap joke regurgitated for the 21st Century but done without the wit and originality of the original.

Plus to say "I didn't mention The Darkness by name in my above post" is a bit odd considering you are on about The Darkness - Permission to Land. I'm not defending The Darkness per se (even though I like 'em) it's just the fact that many people who moan about them seem to rave about Steel Panther who are pretty much providing a similar experience to the nth degree and making it even more ridiculous and yeah stupid and I finally just had to comment on it - maybe it's because they're from the U.S. and they have a certain U.S. band mystique to us who don't live there but jeez gimme The Darkness any day.

Geoff you know I love ya mate but this could seriously damage our crime fighting partnership! :rofl:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pshaw my mate... a lot of what you say there could be applied to SP. The band pretty much spell out any jokes in their music/"lyrics" and push them right into your face I guess because they figure that the people that their music appeals to are gonna be to dumb to figure out any innuendo contained within. Another band who if it hadn't been for their image, novelty tunes and bad wigs (more wigs here than a Kiss gig) would have gotten nowhere. I could imagine them as one of the dumb wannbee kids in the Decline and Fall of Western Civilisation....but they got older and figured out how to appeal to the lowest common denominator. The Spinal Tap joke regurgitated for the 21st Century but done without the wit and originality of the original.

Plus to say "I didn't mention The Darkness by name in my above post" is a bit odd considering you are on about The Darkness - Permission to Land. I'm not defending The Darkness per se (even though I like 'em) it's just the fact that many people who moan about them seem to rave about Steel Panther who are pretty much providing a similar experience to the nth degree and making it even more ridiculous and yeah stupid and I finally just had to comment on it - maybe it's because they're from the U.S. and they have a certain U.S. band mystique to us who don't live there but jeez gimme The Darkness any day.

Geoff you know I love ya mate but this could seriously damage our crime fighting partnership! :rofl:

Nothing will ever damage our crime fighting partnership. And that includes my accidentally eating that cucumber I know you'd left in the fridge for a moment of pure unadulterated joy and success - a moment truly worthy of sharing a cucumber. I'm so sorry, but I was just to hungry.

Just a few points - yeah, the post where I mentioned I was not referring The Darkness by name was in reference to the current posts on that last page - not my original Darkness post you retrieved and quoted.

Mate, I 100% agree with you that if Steel Panther had "normal" lyrics they would most likely not have got the mainstream success they're currently enjoying. BUT, without a shadow of a doubt, they'd be one of the biggest hard rock band within the genre, for fans of hard rock. How many millions of times have you seen and heard a variation on the ol' comment "Oh, they'd be so good if they just had bland, boring and cliche lyrics about love and rock!"

The sad thing about Steel Panther's success is that they are adored by fairweather fans for the most part, no doubt, and only a small handful of "real" hard rock fans. I think that's really sad, and can only blame the supposed hard rock fans for clinging too tightly to their blouses and being too stuck on what they already know and how they think hard rock lyrics should be. It saddens me to know that random 15 year old thugs are more excited about an excellent band within our genre doing great things than the people who have enjoyed this type of music for so long.

And that brings me to the only point I'm trying to make. From my point of view, if Steel Panther are as they are today, they have the adoration of hard rock fans with a sense of humour, and the mainstream. If Steel Panther were exactly as they are today, but with normal dime a dozen lyrics, they would still have the adoration of hard rock fans with a sense of humour and the boring drongo hard rock fans without a sense of humour, but most likely not the mainstream.

And obviously this is all just my point of view. But with the Darkness, I honestly feel that if you take away that poofter's voice, very few hard rock fans would have noticed 'Permission to Land' and they would have faded into obscurity based on how weak their actual songs are, and there is ZERO chance that they'd have had any mainstream success.

It seems so clear to me that if you take away the lyrics and you take away whatever that faggot's doing with his voice, you have one group of very talented hard rock musicians who play a perfect brand of hard rock music, and you have a pub quality band without much musical flare at all. You have one killer hard rock voice - arguably the best pure hard rock voice in the genre today, and on the other hand you have a f*cking mongrel who cannot even get close to holding a single note, ever. You have one band with great riffs and arrangements and in your face hard rock songs. And you have one band with plodding fillers making up most the CD (seriously, who starts an album with a song as shamefully dreadful as 'Every inch of you?') and only a couple of decent hooks per album.

I know it's a matter of personal taste, I guess, but if you take away the big talking points for each of these bands, I can't see how in anyone's honest opinion that The Darkness are even on the same planet as Steel Panther in any regard at all.

But yeah, to each their own I guess.

I'll concur an extent but all I'm saying is people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...I read everywhere folks saying The Darkness are a joke band and then singing the praises of SP - they're almost 2 sides of the same coin.

I don't think if SP came along during the height of the L.A. Glam / hair / metal scene that they parody - when everyone was getting signed like Ratt , Crue, Guns n Roses, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat etc I just don't think they would have got beyond playing their local club, or if they did or maybe released an indie on their own label they'd have gone the way of 90% of that era's music and faded into oblivion within a couple of years. But then again the same could be said of the Darkness as at the time they were a breath of fresh air at the time they hit it big.

Lyrics wise....I don't think much of SP - they're just too stupid/dumb - funny the first time you hear them less so the second, at least The Darkness's Dinner Ladies Arms bears repeated listens. I mean king of all cock rockers Danger Danger had great take on it...that's what I mean the innuendo makes a song funny still and retain some repeatability...a song like Slipped Her the Big One if done by SP would bypass any humourand be Shagged her with my Big Cock, just to make sure you get what they're saying....I mean how many times can you listen to comedy albums over and over before the jokes get boring.

Plus if you go to the Exquisite Entropy section there's a topic "Star Trek - Into Darkness" see...see you don't fuck about with captain Kirk's tastes!!!

Anyway...I'll see you in some dark(ness) alley and arm wrestle you over this.....plus it's nice to mix it up a bit and get the sparks flying in a discussion once in a while.

I'll concur an extent but all I'm saying is people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...I read everywhere folks saying The Darkness are a joke band and then singing the praises of SP - they're almost 2 sides of the same coin.

I don't think if SP came along during the height of the L.A. Glam / hair / metal scene that they parody - when everyone was getting signed like Ratt , Crue, Guns n Roses, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat etc I just don't think they would have got beyond playing their local club, or if they did or maybe released an indie on their own label they'd have gone the way of 90% of that era's music and faded into oblivion within a couple of years. But then again the same could be said of the Darkness as at the time they were a breath of fresh air at the time they hit it big.

Lyrics wise....I don't think much of SP - they're just too stupid/dumb - funny the first time you hear them less so the second, at least The Darkness's Dinner Ladies Arms bears repeated listens. I mean king of all cock rockers Danger Danger had great take on it...that's what I mean the innuendo makes a song funny still and retain some repeatability...a song like Slipped Her the Big One if done by SP would bypass any humourand be Shagged her with my Big Cock, just to make sure you get what they're saying....I mean how many times can you listen to comedy albums over and over before the jokes get boring.

Plus if you go to the Exquisite Entropy section there's a topic "Star Trek - Into Darkness" see...see you don't fuck about with captain Kirk's tastes!!!

Anyway...I'll see you in some dark(ness) alley and arm wrestle you over this.....plus it's nice to mix it up a bit and get the sparks flying in a discussion once in a while.

Fair enough, mate, To be honest, if I thought I was in a glass house I'd not throw stones, but joke or not, I just genuinely feel that Steel Panther are an excellent band, and The Darkness suck. I personally don't care if either are joke bands and that they should be categorized the same. Joke or no joke, the fact remains that Hawkins can not actually sing, and listening to a band without a vocalist that can actually sing, you may as well be listening to instrumentals or a foreign tongued band.

The main reason I like SP is that because, like every other case of it in the world, the joke is not eternal. I don't sit there laughing my nuts of every single time I listen to the CDs over and over again. But now is the time I can actually appreciate how good the actual songs are, without the influence of the joke. And they're damn good songs. Unfortunately I cannot say that about The Darkness.

I look forward to our arm wrestle and I will soap my bicep that day we meet, so it gleams in the back alley lights. Or the moon, depending how dark it is in there.

Fair enough, mate, To be honest, if I thought I was in a glass house I'd not throw stones, but joke or not, I just genuinely feel that Steel Panther are an excellent band, and The Darkness suck. I personally don't care if either are joke bands and that they should be categorized the same. Joke or no joke, the fact remains that Hawkins can not actually sing, and listening to a band without a vocalist that can actually sing, you may as well be listening to instrumentals or a foreign tongued band. The main reason I like SP is that because, like every other case of it in the world, the joke is not eternal. I don't sit there laughing my nuts of every single time I listen to the CDs over and over again. But now is the time I can actually appreciate how good the actual songs are, without the influence of the joke. And they're damn good songs. Unfortunately I cannot say that about The Darkness. I look forward to our arm wrestle and I will soap my bicep that day we meet, so it gleams in the back alley lights. Or the moon, depending how dark it is in there.

Amen to that!

I enjoyed a couple of Darkness songs a few years ago. But they're pop songs. And they are very, very silly. With joke vocals. :lol:

I'm not generally fond of these kind of lists, 'cuz you're sure to piss off somebody along the way ;) . . . but here are some off the top of my head:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Led Zeppelin - IV

The Police - Synchronicity

Van Halen - 1984

ZZ Top - Eliminator

Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

The Clash - London Calling

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - Moving Pictures

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Prince - Purple Rain

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

... plus many of the others already listed and too many others to mention.

I'm not generally fond of these kind of lists, 'cuz you're sure to piss off somebody along the way ;) . . . but here are some off the top of my head:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Led Zeppelin - IV

The Police - Synchronicity

Van Halen - 1984

ZZ Top - Eliminator

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

The Clash - London Calling

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Rush - Moving Pictures

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Prince - Purple Rain

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

I'm with you on most of that, but The Wall is still the one Pink Floyd album which I really like.

Wow some will question Pyromania?! Me personally I said Hysteria lol !

ZZ Top - Eliminator

Well, doesn't piss me off. Everyone has different musical tastes, but IMO that's one of the finest albums ever recorded. I'd put in my top 3 for '80s albums.

Any of the AC/DC releases are way overrated in my book.

I know that many people think DIRTY LOOKS sounds like AC/DC... But for my money, DIRTY LOOKS is 100x better. Many also say RHINO BUCKET sounds a bit like AC/DC.. I'll take RHINO BUCKET any day.

Speaking of AC/DC clones... I'll take Krokus over AC/DC any day. Especially their last 3 albums.

Only thing Dirty Looks impressed me with is their "Five Easy Pieces" CD.

Any of the AC/DC releases are way overrated in my book.

I know that many people think DIRTY LOOKS sounds like AC/DC... But for my money, DIRTY LOOKS is 100x better. Many also say RHINO BUCKET sounds a bit like AC/DC.. I'll take RHINO BUCKET any day.

Speaking of AC/DC clones... I'll take Krokus over AC/DC any day. Especially their last 3 albums.

Only thing Dirty Looks impressed me with is their "Five Easy Pieces" CD.

And Cool From The Wire - they are the only 2 I ever listen to. The rest I could take or leave

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Picked a few highlights from your list. I was pretty stunned (although not pissed off :D) to see 'Pyromania' in your list, but agree 100% with the ones above. I quite enjoyed 'Pump' when it came out and hadn't heard any earlier Aerosmith, so snapped up 'Permanent Vacation' and thought it was awful. The Chilis have already been mentioned on here and for me the only album they've done with any merit was 'Mother's Milk'. 'Blood Sugar...' got rave reviews at the time, but was just annoying. And I hate Floyd!

I guess the only reason I included Pyromania was because I was such a fan of High 'n' Dry (with its more straight-up rock, AC/DC-ish qualities) that I was kinda disappointed by the sheen of Pyromania. Not a bad album, in my book, just one I thought got far more praise than I believe was warranted at the time. Who knows -- I may go back and listen to it now (haven't heard it for years) and may find it much better than I did initially.

As for Eliminator -- let's just say I thought that was the beginning of the downfall of ZZ Top, who I thought was brilliant with the whole '70s Texas blues-rock thing. The addition of synths and sequencers on Eliminator was quite a shocking change-of-pace, to say the least -- it always seemed a bit incongruent with Billy Gibbons' fat, nasty blues guitar tones. But it certainly brought them a whole new audience in the '80s, which was probably the point, and many viewed it as their resurrection.

But, you know, to each his own.... :P

I'm with you on most of that, but The Wall is still the one Pink Floyd album which I really like.

Understandable! The thing about the list I offered is that I'm quite fond of many other works by some of those artists listed (like Zeppelin, Van Halen, Rush, Leppard, etc) -- so I tried to limit it to strictly albums I thought were overrated PERIOD, regardless of the artist.

I also could've listed a whole bunch of shit by people I just don't like musically whatsoever, but I fear that easily could've just evolved into a "Bands I Don't Like" thing, which is a different topic.

:guitar:

Just about anything by Dream Theater....

There I said it..... whistle.gif

Manowar "Gods of War" SO overhyped and overrated.. it is a load of pompous crap!!

Manowar IS overrated. ;)

Hmmm.. Yea they kinda are, aren't they?? I mean I DO really like their older stuff.. Battle Hymns.. Hail to England.. But yea, JUST a lil bit overrated..... :P

• My Little Pony

There I said it..... whistle.gif

Manowar "Gods of War" SO overhyped and overrated.. it is a load of pompous crap!!

Manowar IS overrated. ;)

Hmmm.. Yea they kinda are, aren't they?? I mean I DO really like their older stuff.. Battle Hymns.. Hail to England.. But yea, JUST a lil bit overrated..... :P

I throw it on for a good laugh. It's outrageous, but it's good. But it's probably overrated.

Missed this one, but I couldn't agree more. Never got Dream Theatre; just find their music tedious and ridiculously self-indulgent. Massively overrated imo.

Missed this one, but I couldn't agree more. Never got Dream Theatre; just find their music tedious and ridiculously self-indulgent. Massively overrated imo.

Threshold have been consistently better in recent years

Threshold have been consistently better in recent years

I'm not a big Threshold fan, but they are a million times better than Dream Theater imo.

• 1 year later...

Decided to resurrect this thread as i have been listening to Night Ranger releases a lot lately and I have to say that they are overrated.....they only managed 1 truly good release (Man In Motion) and everything else is just average at best....other than the music from MIM I would be hard pressed to find 10 songs worth putting on a greatest hits cd...

• My Little Pony

Decided to resurrect this thread as i have been listening to Night Ranger releases a lot lately and I have to say that they are overrated.....they only managed 1 truly good release (Man In Motion) and everything else is just average at best....other than the music from MIM I would be hard pressed to find 10 songs worth putting on a greatest hits cd...

Can't exactly agree with this, especially considering they put on one of the best live performances.

Can't exactly agree with this, especially considering they put on one of the best live performances.

I'd completely disagree with that totally, as for me the first 4 albums are pretty flawless. Each to their own and all that.

:)