Who gets your award for Worst Sophomore Album?

Evil Rick

I think Nothing Sacred is a great CD, a worthy follow up to the debut.

As someone said above, to each their opinion, it's all good.

For your question, I agree with a few already mentioned, Wildside, Slaughter.

I'm trying to think of something not already mentioned...well, though not terrible, I didn't care for but a few songs off Badlands Voodoo Highway. They did go more blues rock which is not my thing so don't everyone jump all over me. :)

Spread Eagle, I liked the first, second one not sure I can recall one song.

Bulletboys Freakshow was a major let down for me after a KILLER debut.

I loved all that you mention. I had no idea people didnt like Slaughters Wild Life, I thought it was great. The Bulletboys and Spread Eagle both still get spins from me.

I passed on Spread Eagle's 2nd forever because I thought it would be awful, but when I finally picked it up I was very surprised how good it was. The debut was so good though that it would've been almost impossible to top it.

Freakshow was a disappointment for me as well. I almost prefer ZaZa over it.

Spread Eagles 2nd cd is actually better than the debut imo. I love them both and both are completely different but when you are as awesome as those guys were, it doesn't matter.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the first 2 posts were like confessions of insanity! :lol: Sorry guys, just really disagree. In fact, the only post I really agree with here is from Metal 4 Ever. Great list. And totally agree with Jeff too. Bulletboys debut is near perfect and I hate 'Freakshow' bar the awesome 'Good girl.'

Hard to think of any more off the top of my head. Plenty out there, just can't think at the moment.

But Rick, you don't like 'So savage the heart?' Really? :( One of my real genuine all time favourite songs. One of those perfectly written gems, imo.

How about this one. Blue Tears debut = perfect. 'Innocent ones' = disaster.

Oh Geoffry, how wrong you are on Freakshow but I'll give you a pass this time ;)

Awful disc, imo, but I have always loved 'ZaZa' and don't get the hate for it.

I would agree that Spread Eagle's 2nd disc is a poor by comparison to the debut, but still a damn good CD.

I also like Pole Position's 2nd album, but imo it is galaxies away from the debut.

But Rick, you don't like 'So savage the heart?' Really? :( One of my real genuine all time favourite songs. One of those perfectly written gems, imo.

Yeah, it's a good song, but the album as a whole just leaves me shaking my head after what they did on the S/T. As has been said, it's all a matter of opinion, and I just cannot get into Nothing Sacred no matter how hard I try.

I'm going to have to pull out Bulletboys Freakshow and ZaZa and give them both a good listen back to back to see which one wins out. I remember the slagging ZaZa took but I for one did like it.

What about:

Gunners - Use Your Illusions

Badlands - Voodoo Highway

Kuni - Masque

Falconer - Chapters From A Vale Forlorn

Hurricane - Slave To The Thrill

WASP - The Last Command

Agree with Spread Eagle & Buletboys but that said all of the sophmore albums I love, they were just a letdown after being blown away by the debut, time helps to heal the wound. Masquerade is the one listed here where I reall hate the follow up - loved the debut but what a steam pile the folow up is.

Took me a while to think of a "sophomore album" that would qualify but I got one... Fight's "A SMALL DEADLY SPACE." Wow, what a piece of sh*t that thing was. :puke:

What about:

Gunners - Use Your Illusions

Badlands - Voodoo Highway

Kuni - Masque

Falconer - Chapters From A Vale Forlorn

Hurricane - Slave To The Thrill

WASP - The Last Command

Agree with Spread Eagle & Buletboys but that said all of the sophmore albums I love, they were just a letdown after being blown away by the debut, time helps to heal the wound. Masquerade is the one listed here where I reall hate the follow up - loved the debut but what a steam pile the folow up is.

I loved the Guns Badlands WASP and Hurricane. The Hurricane was the third release and actually my fav. Technically Use Your Illusions was the fourth release if u include Live like a Suicide and Lies.

Took me a while to think of a "sophomore album" that would qualify but I got one... Fight's "A SMALL DEADLY SPACE." Wow, what a piece of sh*t that thing was. :puke:

Oh yes a pile of shit! Totally agree.

What about the second Exodus album?

Not near as good as Bonded By Blood.

There are many sophomore albums listed here that I love such as Babylon AD, Wig Wam, Spread Eagle, Badlands, Danger Danger, WASP, etc, but it's always interesting to see how people rate an album

Several disastrous / poor follow-up that I can think of are :

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

and several a bit let down compared to the debut but not too bad / still pretty okay :

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

Oh yes a pile of shit! Totally agree.

What about the second Exodus album?

Not near as good as Bonded By Blood.

Y'mean PLEASURES OF THE FLESH? That's a decent platter. I agree that it's nowhere near as homicidal as BONDED BY BLOOD but it's a decent listen.

Love that babbling at the beginning of the record before "Deranged"... "I like salad. I like to have a salad, baked potato, sour cream, chives...hahahahahahahaha..."

There are many sophomore albums listed here that I love such as Babylon AD, Wig Wam, Spread Eagle, Badlands, Danger Danger, WASP, etc, but it's always interesting to see how people rate an album

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

and several a bit let down compared to the debut but not too bad / still pretty okay :

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

Von Groove???? Badlands????? Hurricane?????? Okay, I'm out of this thread before I start throwing punches! :)

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

Von Groove???? Badlands????? Hurricane?????? Okay, I'm out of this thread before I start throwing punches! :)

I tend to agree with most of that. VON GROOVE never got near their debut, never even close. Badlands sucked IMO, and Hurricane (although hardly the worst follow-up) went in a less commercial direction and lost me as a fan. Fair Warning is a good shout too, though they made it all okay again with the awesome "Go!"...

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

I tend to agree with most of that. VON GROOVE never got near their debut, never even close. Badlands sucked IMO, and Hurricane (although hardly the worst follow-up) went in a less commercial direction and lost me as a fan. Fair Warning is a good shout too, though they made it all okay again with the awesome "Go!"...

Hmm... I think I preferred Badlands' second CD to their first... :whistle:

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

Damn Yankees? Didn't they pretty much just re-record their debut track for track? Except the inclusion of the awesome 'Silence is broken' which is the best song they ever recorded.

Hurricane - The debut EP is their best, imo, but I think 'Slave to the thrill' is far more consistent than 'Over the edge,' though it does miss the highlights.

Badlands - yep, I agree with Tim. They just suck, sophomore of debut.

I agree with the Von Groove sentiment too. Debut is utterly stunning and only 'Test of faith' ever came close to matching that one, a couple of albums later.

As for Fair Warning, I actually think 'Rainmaker' is by far their most consistent CD. All their albums are kind of average to me, but I thought that one had the most amount of solid tunes.

Immediately coming to mind

The Godz - Nothing is Sacred....I was looking forward to it for weeks and when it came out I couldn't believe how weak it sounded after their 1st alas the Geoff Barton review at the time was right.

Face Dancer - About Face... a severe let down after This World.

• 3 weeks later...

I found both 'Fashion By Passion' and 'Screw It!' massive disappointments after the awesome debuts, but I'll be crucified on here for saying so.

I honestly had to use the HH search engine to see if there was another sophomore album called "Screw It" other than that from Danger Danger. Nope, so yes I vote for a crucifixion... No totally kidding, you have the right to your opinion, even though I 100% disagree with you.

Yeah, the 'Screw It!' question reminds me of this quote from the ship's captain in an episode of Blackadder, "Well, opinion on the matter is divided m'Lord. All the other captains say it is. I say it isn't." :lol: I just think the songs on the debut Danger Danger CD were fantastic, the second album wasn't a patch on it and the songs were nothing special at all.

A couple of other second albums that I found disappointing:

Faster Pussycat - Wake Me When It's Over (fantastic debut CD, this was very poor in comparison)

Fear of God - Toxic Voodoo (after the genius that was 'Within The Veil', this was very bad)

Bang Tango - Dancin' On Coals (I've ignored 'Live Injection' as it wasn't a studio album; 'Psycho Cafe' was brilliant, 'Coals' had 2 good songs on it, the rest was pretty weak)

I'm with you when it comes to Bang Tango ... I really, REALLY tried to like 'Dancin' ...', but only the title track really stood out for me ...

BULLETBOYS

DAMN YANKEES

SONIC X

STEVE PERRY

SVEN GALI

VON GROOVE

WILDSIDE

BON JOVI

CRASHDIET

FAIR WARNING

POODLES, THE

VAN HALEN

You and me both, mate ...

Got to agree with the Wildside and Babylon A.D. picks...

The 1st one that comes to mind for me is Van Halen...after the perfection of the S/T they release II..??

Van Halen? Really? Their second album was fantastic! The sophomore effort that really falls short for me is Bon Jovi's ... one or two halfway decent songs, but nothing special ... I also agree that Freakshow was a major disappointment after the Bulletboys' debut ... how about Vain? What do other HH posters think of what came after the jaw-droppingly brilliant 'No Respect'?

One that just came to mind is Shaved & Dangerous-Baby Animals.

Good call - major league disappointment, that one ...

The second Damn Yankees album is quite good, IMO.

Too damned right it is!!

Personally I think it's one of those cases where the second album sounds nearly identical to the first. Good thing I liked the first one.

The second Damn Yankees album is quite good, IMO.

Too damned right it is!!

Personally I think it's one of those cases where the second album sounds nearly identical to the first. Good thing I liked the first one.

Yep. Both releases are great. If you don't like the second one, you sure as hell don't like the first one to begin with...

• My Little Pony

Well, for me, I'm still new to the game, so most of what I listen to is based off the reviews on the forums or main site. Obviously I've gone against the grain on some purchases, but I'm probably more open-minded than most. Also, because I'm "too young to listen to this music," I didn't start from the beginning of most catalogues. I usually start with the albums most recently released or most highly praised. I'm not too often dissapointed. That is not to say I'm never dissapointed, however.

I have to agree with the Poodles. Sweet Trade was a bit of a let down, but they made up for it immensely with Clash of the Elements.

I'd also like to add Nouveaux. Beginnings was a great release, and a good platform to build upon. Going acoustic with And This is how I Feel, was the deffinition of the wrong direction to take your second album.