Who gets your award for Worst Sophomore Album?

Evil Rick

I'd also like to add Nouveaux. Beginnings was a great release, and a good platform to build upon. Going acoustic with And This is how I Feel, was the deffinition of the wrong direction to take your second album.

Absolutely spot on! Man that second release was such a huge disappointment for me after the excellent Beginnings.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second Damn Yankees album is quite good, IMO.

Too damned right it is!!

Personally I think it's one of those cases where the second album sounds nearly identical to the first. Good thing I liked the first one.

Yep. Both releases are great. If you don't like the second one, you sure as hell don't like the first one to begin with...

If I didn't post it, I thought that too - that both albums are pretty much identical. The ballad is the exact same song with different lyrics and I think the rest of the album was like that too, except for the inclusion of the excellent 'Silence is broken,' which wasn't on the first album.

I don't see how anyone can like one without liking the other, but to each their own I guess.

The second Damn Yankees album is quite good, IMO.

Too damned right it is!!

Personally I think it's one of those cases where the second album sounds nearly identical to the first. Good thing I liked the first one.

Yep. Both releases are great. If you don't like the second one, you sure as hell don't like the first one to begin with...

If I didn't post it, I thought that too - that both albums are pretty much identical. The ballad is the exact same song with different lyrics and I think the rest of the album was like that too, except for the inclusion of the excellent 'Silence is broken,' which wasn't on the first album.

I don't see how anyone can like one without liking the other, but to each their own I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like the second Damn Yankees album but I will agree that it's not as good as the first.

Same with Thunder. "Laughing On Judgement Day" is a decent album but doesn't compare to "Backstreet Symphony"

And now I've thought of a better example.

Romeo's Daughter. The first album was glorious. "Delectable" had precisely one good song. I hung on to the first album (on cassette) for a couple of decades. The follow-up I got rid of inside two months.

• 2 weeks later...

Same with Thunder. "Laughing On Judgement Day" is a decent album but doesn't compare to "Backstreet Symphony"

:agree:

The debut was a great album, but I found LOJD pretty boring. Mind you, I don't think anything I've heard by the band since comes close to 'Backstreet Symphony'. I had 'Magnificent Seventh' and got rid of it - not a bad album by any means, but nothing special.

I'd say Britny Fox was another band whose second album didn't come close to the quality of the first, but it seems to be a highly thought of release round these parts...

I'd say Britny Fox was another band whose second album didn't come close to the quality of the first, but it seems to be a highly thought of release round these parts...

The first one is average. Only a few good songs and that awful Save the Weak. The second and third ones were miles better.

:agree:

The debut was a great album, but I found LOJD pretty boring. Mind you, I don't think anything I've heard by the band since comes close to 'Backstreet Symphony'. I had 'Magnificent Seventh' and got rid of it - not a bad album by any means, but nothing special.

Agreed in 'Backstreet' being their best album, but I think 'Judgement' was a worthy follow up albeit a little over long. A very fine band with a superb back catologue of works (if people are bother to take interest).

The first one is average. Only a few good songs and that awful Save the Weak. The second and third ones were miles better.

I agree that Britny Fox's second and third releases are better than the debut. The S/T had "Girlschool" and "Long Way To Love", but then there really isn't anything else...and Save The Weak is sooooooo bad. Just so freakin bad. :puke:

I agree that Britny Fox's second and third releases are better than the debut. The S/T had "Girlschool" and "Long Way To Love", but then there really isn't anything else...and Save The Weak is sooooooo bad. Just so freakin bad. :puke:

I hate Save the Weak but love the other tunes on there and would say Boys in Heat has better production but has more filler and is maybe two songs too long but I love all of the first three BF with Bite being my fav.

I hate Save the Weak but love the other tunes on there and would say Boys in Heat has better production but has more filler and is maybe two songs too long but I love all of the first three BF with Bite being my fav.

My favorite cd from Britny Fox is Boys In Heat, but I do like all 3. Save the weak is a really bad ballad, never liked it(even though I tried).

My favorite cd from Britny Fox is Boys In Heat, but I do like all 3. Save the weak is a really bad ballad, never liked it(even though I tried).

To be fair, I had both on cassette ages ago and haven't listened to either of them for years. I do remember that I loved 'Livin' On a Dream', quite liked 'Stevie', but didn't like any other songs on 'Boys In Heat'.

To be fair, I had both on cassette ages ago and haven't listened to either of them for years. I do remember that I loved 'Livin' On a Dream', quite liked 'Stevie', but didn't like any other songs on 'Boys In Heat'.

The 2nd album was more consistent than the debut but the debut maybe had a few more memorable tracks. But I'm with others in that I love all three albums, though 'Bite down hard' does smoke the first two.

Oh, and yeah... 'Save the weak' is about as bad as it gets.

The 2nd album was more consistent than the debut but the debut maybe had a few more memorable tracks. But I'm with others in that I love all three albums, though 'Bite down hard' does smoke the first two.

Hmm ... I'll take that one back; maybe I'm just not a Britny fan. Absolutely love 'Girlschool' (awesome song and one of the best music videos of all time) and 'Livin On A Dream', but no other essential tunes for me.

House of Lords' 'Sahara' was a decent album, but a huge step down from the debut imo. Nowhere near being a candidate for "worst sophomore album" though.

Hmm ... I'll take that one back; maybe I'm just not a Britny fan. Absolutely love 'Girlschool' (awesome song and one of the best music videos of all time) and 'Livin On A Dream', but no other essential tunes for me.

House of Lords' 'Sahara' was a decent album, but a huge step down from the debut imo. Nowhere near being a candidate for "worst sophomore album" though.

I agree that 'Sahara' is the weakest link of the first 3 HOL discs. But I also agree it's not an actual weak disc... just in the company of brilliance. I will say about it, though, that 'Remember my name' is my fave HOL song.

HOL Sahara is awesome and my fav disc of theirs. There is nothing weak about it. I like the debut but its too AOR for me where the next two had more balls IMO.

Agreed, Sahara is my fav HOL album as well. I love their cover of "Can't Find My Way Home". The debut is fantastic but I would put Sahara at the top.

HOL Sahara is awesome and my fav disc of theirs. There is nothing weak about it. I like the debut but its too AOR for me where the next two had more balls IMO.

I agree, except I rate Demons down-1, Sahara-2, then S/T-3

Agreed, Sahara is my fav HOL album as well. I love their cover of "Can't Find My Way Home". The debut is fantastic but I would put Sahara at the top.

Finally someone else that has good taste like me! :beerbang:

I've been talking up Sahara for years and most around here seem to think it's weak when compared to the debut and Demons Down. I also love that cover of "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Remember My Name" has to be one of the best ballad ever and loved that video back in the day when it was on dial MTV. Plus Doug Aldrich played on this album although I've never been sure which songs he played on. Demons Down is an excellent album as well but Sahara has always been my fav.

I found both 'Fashion By Passion' and 'Screw It!' massive disappointments after the awesome debuts, but I'll be crucified on here for saying so.

Nothing White Sister could put out would ever top that classic debut. Whatever happened to their supposed third album?

I've been talking up Sahara for years and most around here seem to think it's weak when compared to the debut and Demons Down. I also love that cover of "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Remember My Name" has to be one of the best ballad ever and loved that video back in the day when it was on dial MTV. Plus Doug Aldrich played on this album although I've never been sure which songs he played on. Demons Down is an excellent album as well but Sahara has always been my fav.

This is what it says in Doug's bio:

Shortly after Lion split-up, Doug worked with the bands Hurricane and House of Lords. Doug gained high marks for his guitar work on House of Lords "Sahara" record. Especially for his rendition of Blind Faiths "Can't Find My Way Home". Although he is not listed for his work on the album, Doug performed guitar work on nearly 90% of the album.

And this is an answer from Doug himself on his message board:

Gregg Giuffria asked me join the band but I had just finished recording with Hurricane. It would have been really un cool of me to quit at that point. But I told him I would play on some demos. I did a couple of tunes including the cover of "Can't Find My Way Home" After that Gregg said that I HAD to play on the next record Sahara. Well I did all of the guitars and solos except for the solos on "Lay Down" and "American Babylon". Also James Christian played the steel string acoustic. They got a guitar player to take his picture for the record and gave him those two solos. Rick Nielson played some fills on "Heart on the Line" I played everything else. All the rhythm guitars and 8 solos and fills. It is a long story but they buried my name cause they were afraid it would be weird that I wasn't in the band. Then after I got home from the US Hurricane tour 3 months later. Sahara was just coming out. I had just started recording with Kal the first BMR. We went to Germany to mix it for a month. While I was there, Gregg called me and said they fired the guitar player cause he couldn't play my parts. They had a big tour booked in the US so I ended up doing 2 months with them. I never thought much about joining them cause I was more into BMR at that point. Anyway, not many people know the truth about that so I am glad somebody finally asked.

I was really proud of that record.

There ya go Wes. :beerbang:

The debut may have been softer, but the debut had 'Edge of Your Life' and 'Hearts of the World', 2 of my absolute favourite rock songs of all time. Nothing House of Lords (or most other bands) have done since gets anywhere near the perfection of these 2 songs for me.

The debut may have been softer, but the debut had 'Edge of Your Life' and 'Hearts of the World', 2 of my absolute favourite rock songs of all time. Nothing House of Lords (or most other bands) have done since gets anywhere near the perfection of these 2 songs for me.

Picking which of the first 3 albums by HOL is best is like picking between Megan Fox, Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanssen. All are various shades of awesomeness.

Picking which of the first 3 albums by HOL is best is like picking between Megan Fox, Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johanssen. All are various shades of awesomeness.

Good one!