Who gets your award for Worst Sophomore Album?

Evil Rick

I was listening to Babylon A.D.'s Nothing Sacred the other day and I kept asking myself how many more chances I was going to give this album. When their S/T came out that release blew me away. If it wasn't in my cassette player it had either just been played or was next in line to get played. Then when this came out I was so disappointed. Nothing like the first album IMO. The only song I really cared for was "Sacrifice Your Love" and even then they had to screw it up by speeding the song up at the end. Such a huge letdown for sure. I think Slaughter's The Wild Life would be right up there as well, but that one has grown on me over the years.

So what sophomore release were you looking forward to after a great debut only to be totally disappointed when you finally heard it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WIG WAM - Wigwamania

After the monstruous first disc they went in a more glam rock direction. Anything that goes in a more glam rock direction is going the opposite way to me. That said, "Gonna Get You Someday" and "Bygone Zone" were still awesome - the rest wasn't (unless you like glam, which I don't).

Hey, I like Babylon A.D.'s NOTHING SACRED... now if you were talkin' about their AMERICAN BLITZKRIEG, I'd be right there with ya... :puke:

Hey, I like Babylon A.D.'s NOTHING SACRED... now if you were talkin' about their AMERICAN BLITZKRIEG, I'd be right there with ya... :puke:

I completely agree, well said.

So what sophomore album gets your vote guys?

Here are the biggest ones from my collection, but I think Wildside takes the cake.

Debut = Awesome

Sophomore = Crap

Wildside - Under the Influence

Wildside - s/t

Masquerade - s/t

Masquerade - Surface Pain

Sven Gali - s/t

Sven Gali - Inwire

Pole Position - s/t

Pole Position - Bigger

Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow

Gamma Ray - Sigh No More

I found both 'Fashion By Passion' and 'Screw It!' massive disappointments after the awesome debuts, but I'll be crucified on here for saying so.

I found both 'Fashion By Passion' and 'Screw It!' massive disappointments after the awesome debuts, but I'll be crucified on here for saying so.

I honestly had to use the HH search engine to see if there was another sophomore album called "Screw It" other than that from Danger Danger. Nope, so yes I vote for a crucifixion... No totally kidding, you have the right to your opinion, even though I 100% disagree with you.

Even with, what 14, 15 songs on it, Screw It was definitely a much weaker album compared to the S/T IMO. But there are a bunch of people that will strongly disagree so Im gonna hide in this paper bag. :anon:

Steve Perry -

Street Talk is a classic

For the Love is average at best...............big disappointment that was.

Definitley! So many great songs on Street Talk. I can't even name one song from his follow up.

I think Nothing Sacred is a great CD, a worthy follow up to the debut.

As someone said above, to each their opinion, it's all good.

For your question, I agree with a few already mentioned, Wildside, Slaughter.

I'm trying to think of something not already mentioned...well, though not terrible, I didn't care for but a few songs off Badlands Voodoo Highway. They did go more blues rock which is not my thing so don't everyone jump all over me. :)

Spread Eagle, I liked the first, second one not sure I can recall one song.

Bulletboys Freakshow was a major let down for me after a KILLER debut.

I honestly had to use the HH search engine to see if there was another sophomore album called "Screw It" other than that from Danger Danger. Nope, so yes I vote for a crucifixion... No totally kidding, you have the right to your opinion, even though I 100% disagree with you.

I second the crucifixion! lol

I'm trying to think of something not already mentioned...well, though not terrible, I didn't care for but a few songs off Badlands Voodoo Highway. They did go more blues rock which is not my thing so don't everyone jump all over me. :)

I loved all that you mention. I had no idea people didnt like Slaughters Wild Life, I thought it was great. The Bulletboys and Spread Eagle both still get spins from me.

I loved all that you mention. I had no idea people didnt like Slaughters Wild Life, I thought it was great. The Bulletboys and Spread Eagle both still get spins from me.

I passed on Spread Eagle's 2nd forever because I thought it would be awful, but when I finally picked it up I was very surprised how good it was. The debut was so good though that it would've been almost impossible to top it.

Freakshow was a disappointment for me as well. I almost prefer ZaZa over it.

Yeah, the 'Screw It!' question reminds me of this quote from the ship's captain in an episode of Blackadder, "Well, opinion on the matter is divided m'Lord. All the other captains say it is. I say it isn't." :lol: I just think the songs on the debut Danger Danger CD were fantastic, the second album wasn't a patch on it and the songs were nothing special at all.

A couple of other second albums that I found disappointing:

Faster Pussycat - Wake Me When It's Over (fantastic debut CD, this was very poor in comparison)

Fear of God - Toxic Voodoo (after the genius that was 'Within The Veil', this was very bad)

Bang Tango - Dancin' On Coals (I've ignored 'Live Injection' as it wasn't a studio album; 'Psycho Cafe' was brilliant, 'Coals' had 2 good songs on it, the rest was pretty weak)

I loved Screw It. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me it has always been Angelica's Walkin' In Faith. I remember seeing the posters at the music store advertising Walkin In Faith's release. Absolutely loved the first one. Bought Walkin' on the day it came out. What a horrible disappointment. Much lighter in sound and electronic drums galore. One of the few cassettes that I never replaced with a cd version.

Personally love Nothing Sacred and Open to the Public, especially Preacher Man.

On the topic of Spread Eagle's debut, that's one I've been trying to reacquire for awhile.

Do you guys recommend the original or the remastered version?

I own both. Personally I don't hear that much of a difference, but I do think the reissue sounds a little better.

It's available @ CD Baby for $13.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/spreadeagle

Wow, the first 2 posts were like confessions of insanity! :lol: Sorry guys, just really disagree. In fact, the only post I really agree with here is from Metal 4 Ever. Great list. And totally agree with Jeff too. Bulletboys debut is near perfect and I hate 'Freakshow' bar the awesome 'Good girl.'

Hard to think of any more off the top of my head. Plenty out there, just can't think at the moment.

But Rick, you don't like 'So savage the heart?' Really? :( One of my real genuine all time favourite songs. One of those perfectly written gems, imo.

How about this one. Blue Tears debut = perfect. 'Innocent ones' = disaster.

Steve Perry -

Street Talk is a classic

For the Love is average at best...............big disappointment that was.

Totally agree Street Talk is a classic but For The Love,what the hell happened?Fashion By Passion-White Sister is a great album but still not up to scratch of the debut,i found this had a couple of filler tracks,please don't nail me to the cross as well guys.

Here are the biggest ones from my collection, but I think Wildside takes the cake.

Debut = Awesome

Sophomore = Crap

Wildside - Under the Influence

Wildside - s/t

Masquerade - s/t

Masquerade - Surface Pain

Sven Gali - s/t

Sven Gali - Inwire

Pole Position - s/t

Pole Position - Bigger

Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow

Gamma Ray - Sigh No More

Totally agree with these, especially the Wildside which was from one end of the earth to the other....but WTF on the Pole Position? Bigger was AWESOME and every bit as good as their debut.

Wow, the first 2 posts were like confessions of insanity! :lol: Sorry guys, just really disagree. In fact, the only post I really agree with here is from Metal 4 Ever. Great list. And totally agree with Jeff too. Bulletboys debut is near perfect and I hate 'Freakshow' bar the awesome 'Good girl.'

Hard to think of any more off the top of my head. Plenty out there, just can't think at the moment.

But Rick, you don't like 'So savage the heart?' Really? :( One of my real genuine all time favourite songs. One of those perfectly written gems, imo.

How about this one. Blue Tears debut = perfect. 'Innocent ones' = disaster.

Oh Geoffry, how wrong you are on Freakshow but I'll give you a pass this time ;)