Diamond Dawn - New melodic rock from Sweden

whiplash1972

Wow, it really surprises me that people are raving about this?

yeah similar style to HEAT but lets face it the vocalist is weak and I am really struggling to get past that accent.

Just lacks the spark of HEAT.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah similar style to HEAT but lets face it the vocalist is weak and I am really struggling to get past that accent.

But did you hear the pre-chorus, with those keys? YUM!

I actually think the vocalist is kind of similar to Kenny Leckremo... kind of. And someone else. He definitely has a familiar voice. He's not perfect, but pretty typical of this type of scandi rock.

I'm not saying these guys are as good as HEAT, but they do sound damn freakin' good to these ears. Oh that keyboard assisted riff makes my erection erupt...

The music sounds really good, but I can't get past those vocals. I was excited when they were first introduced months ago, but after hearing the new single I think I'll pass.

• My Little Pony

The vocals don't bother me at all. I've said it before, I usually like accents. They typically add a bit of flavour; however, Italian vocals generally kill it for me. But this is great!

The music sounds really good, but I can't get past those vocals. I was excited when they were first introduced months ago, but after hearing the new single I think I'll pass.

Backed, way too heavy an accent for me. Also it is just a bit lifeless - musically pretty good, but just needs a huge kick up the arse - I'd give that song a 6.5-7.

Sounds perfectly fine to my ears and better than some of the bog average AOR/MR we've had to put up with over the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...

That single is very bland and average at best imho. I might be alone but i think pass on this one unless the other tunes are much better.

No Wes, you are not alone - I was underwhelmed as well. Hope this isn't the best track!

That single is very bland and average at best imho. I might be alone but i think pass on this one unless the other tunes are much better.

No Wes, you are not alone - I was underwhelmed as well. Hope this isn't the best track!

I agree somewhat, I enjoy the tune but do hope there are better tracks on it. I feel a H.E.A.T vibe, but a little lighter and not as good of course.

Is it me or is the singer wearing Michael Jackson's jacket from 1983?

I think he is!

Backed, way too heavy an accent for me. Also it is just a bit lifeless - musically pretty good, but just needs a huge kick up the arse - I'd give that song a 6.5-7.

You're mad. I don't have any problems with the vocals.

Is it me or is the singer wearing Michael Jackson's jacket from 1983?

I think he is!

So now we know where his jacket went...

Need I remind you of the contrast between your first and current impression of the new Crashdiet disc? ;) I have a feeling you'll love this disc, seriously. That is, if this song is anything to go by...

I just got through the samples and they are so H.E.A.T. like, it sounds excellent...however those vocals are hard to digest. Still not sure If I want to get it or not, the singer has a certain Joey Tempest thing going on. The samples for Standing As One, Give It All and Don't Walk Away are making it hard not to like. The lyrics are so cheesy and yet this is the shit I eat up. I'm torn!

Need I remind you of the contrast between your first and current impression of the new Crashdiet disc? ;) I have a feeling you'll love this disc, seriously. That is, if this song is anything to go by...

Yes but Simon from Crashdiet wasn't dressed like Michael Jackson in their video haha.

Plus I like Sleaze and Hard Rock much more than AOR and I was a Crashdiet fan before the new album.

I just got through the samples and they are so H.E.A.T. like, it sounds excellent...however those vocals are hard to digest. Still not sure If I want to get it or not, the singer has a certain Joey Tempest thing going on. The samples for Standing As One, Give It All and Don't Walk Away are making it hard not to like. The lyrics are so cheesy and yet this is the shit I eat up. I'm torn!

I just got through the 90 secs samples on itunes and they give a pretty good impression.

The thing which is grinding on me is the vocalist - man he is weak. Accented and very little power. Erik Gronwall he certainly is not lol.

Strange that u should pick Give It All and Dont Walk Away as they were not my cup of tea at all....far too sickly sweet.

My standout was Crying which at least sounded like it had an anthemic chorus.

I dont know.....really cant see me buying this. Will probably decide once it hits Spotify but to me most songs sound in the 6.5 to 8 ish region.

I've listened to Treat again and again. The make a good sound, the production is good, they play well, etc, but I just don't hear good songs. I don't get it, it's a real mystery to me how the band are so revered in these pages, as I think the tunes are so unremarkable. Clearly I'm in a very tiny minority here and I don't hate the band or anything, I just don't think they are any better than thousands of other bands out there.

shrug.gif

I'm happy to accept I'm in the wrong if that helps. ;)

i love you man. wanna hang out?

... adn i thought i was the only one who couldn't see all the hype about treat...

A very good album and I understand the H.E.A.T comparison. Lots of keyboard usage and some sugary arrangement here and there, also a good mix of mid-paced tunes and uptempo energetic tracks, but it's obvious that the weakness is on the singer. Not that he's bad. The thin and wailing style is probably closer to ex-H.E.A.T's frontman, Kenny Leckremo, but Kenny possess more power and perhaps raspier, and also the accent is spottable in some singing but overall quite fine I guess.

The first single, 'Take Me Higher', really grows and I think make an excellent melodic rocker. Second best track is 'Give It All' and probably the closest track to contend that is 'Standing As One'. Three other tracks that's worth > 9 are 'Crying', 'The Hunter', and the poppish ballad, 'Don't Walk Away'. The latter might not suitable for those who prefer a heavier ballad but I like it. Two weakest tracks are 'California Rush' (7 to 7.25) and 'Powergames' (7.5 - 7.75) maybe, the verse is patchy but the chorus is excellent though.

This album was well produced and I probably rated the musicianship level an 8/10 because the guitarist offers some very nice solos and riffs. Fun album and totally worth the purchase!

88%

Wow 88% is very very generous for this mate. I guess there is some comparison to HEAT in song style and structure but that's where it ends.

Vocally this is weak. Lacks any real power and really accented - to even compare this guy to Kenny is a joke IMO.

I do kind of like most of the songs and the musicianship is there but I am really struggling with those vocals.

I would say musicianship/songs at around 80%, vocals at around 60% - panning out overall at around 70% but might push 75%.

Very good, solid album. Can't see the problems with the vocalist at all tbh..a little accented, but not enough to put you off from the actual songs, which it has to be said are very good indeed in places. Comparisons are gonna be made to H.E.A.T obviously and whilst they aren't as solid a unit as them yet, they sure have a few songs that would push them . Seeing as it is out the same time as the W.E.T album, hopefully it won't get lost in all the usual blah de blah surrounding that album (which is really good, but not the second coming btw). For a debut, this is really good,shows a lot of promise and deserves a pretty good mark around the mid 80's.

• My Little Pony

Very good, solid album. Can't see the problems with the vocalist at all tbh..a little accented, but not enough to put you off from the actual songs, which it has to be said are very good indeed in places. Comparisons are gonna be made to H.E.A.T obviously and whilst they aren't as solid a unit as them yet, they sure have a few songs that would push them . Seeing as it is out the same time as the W.E.T album, hopefully it won't get lost in all the usual blah de blah surrounding that album (which is really good, but not the second coming btw). For a debut, this is really good,shows a lot of promise and deserves a pretty good mark around the mid 80's.

My thoughts, too, Jezzer. Although, I've only heard samples.