Diamond Dawn - New melodic rock from Sweden

whiplash1972

Very good, solid album. Can't see the problems with the vocalist at all tbh..a little accented, but not enough to put you off from the actual songs, which it has to be said are very good indeed in places. Comparisons are gonna be made to H.E.A.T obviously and whilst they aren't as solid a unit as them yet, they sure have a few songs that would push them . Seeing as it is out the same time as the W.E.T album, hopefully it won't get lost in all the usual blah de blah surrounding that album (which is really good, but not the second coming btw). For a debut, this is really good,shows a lot of promise and deserves a pretty good mark around the mid 80's.

Personally I would take virtually any HEAT song over the content of this album.

And the vocals are weak. And accented.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good, solid album. Can't see the problems with the vocalist at all tbh..a little accented, but not enough to put you off from the actual songs, which it has to be said are very good indeed in places. Comparisons are gonna be made to H.E.A.T obviously and whilst they aren't as solid a unit as them yet, they sure have a few songs that would push them . Seeing as it is out the same time as the W.E.T album, hopefully it won't get lost in all the usual blah de blah surrounding that album (which is really good, but not the second coming btw). For a debut, this is really good,shows a lot of promise and deserves a pretty good mark around the mid 80's.

Personally I would take virtually any HEAT song over the content of this album.

And the vocals are weak. And accented.

I don't think it's bad, but is weaker than i was hoping for

I don't think it's bad. Just don't go misleading people comparing if to HEAT cos it's a way off that quality.

But, this is in the H.E.A.T "style" just not as good!

I don't think it's bad. Just don't go misleading people comparing if to HEAT cos it's a way off that quality.

As I pointed out earlier, they share the similarity in terms of musical style and the vocal is slightly weaker than Kenny but quite similar in technique (not Erik because they're quite different character). H.E.A.T is personally better for me, but slightly weaker singing alone can't drag this album far below because 88% reflects very good and enjoyable AOR songs and also a well played rhythm and well produced album, so that's fine with me.

I might re-evaluate the whole score again later when I'm through like 5 spins too see if the songs hold, but I think Jez' mid-80% score pretty much settled the score of this one objectively, but meanwhile I'm happy with this score and definitely a must buy

My thoughts, too, Jezzer. Although, I've only heard samples.

100% agree, guys. And like Nightrain, I also pointed out earlier that this guy reminds me of Leckremo. I'm arguably the harshest critic of bad accents on this forum, but there's no way this guy falls into the category, imo. Yeah he has an accent, but I don't think it's detrimental to the quality of the CD at all. Just reminds me of a lot... and I mean a LOT of the 80's bands we all listen to, from Europe, in the 80's who also had accents. This dude's fine by me.

Anyway, I gotta say I was a little let down by this overall. 'Take me higher' is one of my favourite songs of the year so far - I truly love it and the pre-chorus is sheer perfection. But it's the best song on the CD and quite easily, imo. I love the production, the sound of the band and the vibe - pure 80's Euro melodic rock / AOR. But the songs maybe aren't quite as strong as I'd hoped overall.

Still, it's a very strong debut and I look forward to these guys moving onwards and upwards. My early faves are 'Take me higher,' 'Indestructable,' 'Give it all' and 'Don't walk away.' I threw an initial 78% at it and think that's pretty fair. I prefer the Edge CD, which will be this album's parallel this year, imo. Not up with the WET's and Vega's of the world, and slightly below fellow newcomers, Edge, imo.

• My Little Pony

I'd agree on about 78%. Really some of the musicianship is pretty cool here, my issues begin when he opens his gob ;-)

Just like my issues with you. ;}

I'd agree on about 78%. Really some of the musicianship is pretty cool here, my issues begin when he opens his gob ;-)

Just like my issues with you. ;}

You're welcome ;-)

• 1 month later...

I've had this one for a few weeks now and I'll be honest it's pretty damn good. Sure the vocals are accented and not the strongest, but after a few spins I got used to it. By no means is this better than H.E.A.T., W.E.T. or WOA, but they are still a band that is on my radar and I'll be gtting their next release, if there is one.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are the bonus tracks always some of the better tracks on an album?!!!

• 2 weeks later...

C*****************************************************NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, by far the 2nd best song on the CD, after 'Take me higher.' Anyone got an MP3 of this to send to a brother?

Listened to 5 or 6 tracks off this one and love it so far. 'Standing As One' and 'Indestructible' my favourites. As if to deliberately wind Geoff up, 'Take Me Higher' is the song I like least of the ones I've heard - very nice guitar solo, but a pretty unexciting chorus. (I don't do it on purpose - honest!) Overall very impressed though, this could be my favourite Hard Rock CD of 2013 so far...

Listened to 5 or 6 tracks off this one and love it so far. 'Standing As One' and 'Indestructible' my favourites. As if to deliberately wind Geoff up, 'Take Me Higher' is the song I like least of the ones I've heard - very nice guitar solo, but a pretty unexciting chorus. (I don't do it on purpose - honest!) Overall very impressed though, this could be my favourite Hard Rock CD of 2013 so far...

I admit the chorus in 'Take me higher' is basically, "just there." It's not good or bad... just there. But the pre-chorus is still one of the most exciting recorded pieces in 2013, imo. :)

Totally disagree with that comment above about Jap songs being weak?! They are usually killers.

This is a good song and again probably better than virtually any other track on an otherwise weakish album.

Vocals are still shit lol. If Gronwall or Soto was singing it would be a million times better ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

The Scandi region sure does put out a lot melodicrock talent. I love Treat, W.E.T., Work Of Art, Eclipse, Brother Firetribe, TNT (only with Harnell). I am always in search of more bands like these, so I will have to give these guys a listen...

• 2 months later...

I revisited this album once again for the sixth time, and while I still think it's still pretty solid, some of the songs were pushed down and I revised my score down to 85% and #11 on my current standing. The Jap bonus track is extremely good and if only it's included in the original setlist, I might still hold it around 87-88%

I revisited this album once again for the sixth time, and while I still think it's still pretty solid, some of the songs were pushed down and I revised my score down to 85% and #11 on my current standing. The Jap bonus track is extremely good and if only it's included in the original setlist, I might still hold it around 87-88%

This was yet another one for me that sounded fantastic at first, but after a few listens it was just okay. Good album, but not great imo.

• 2 months later...

Singer quits (from press release):

"The band and Alexander will from now go on in different directions. Olle, Jhonny, Niklas, Mike and Effy will continue playing together, wishing Alex all the best.
The future and what will happen to the 'name' Diamond Dawn is not entirely determined yet, much is happening at the moment and we are still sorting things out. So we ask you, the best people in the world, to be patient at this time and try to check this page regularly for updates. We understand that this must strike most of you as sad news and indeed it is. Be assured though that this in no way is the end of anything but merely the start of something.

There will be a more extensive statement in the near future but this is all for now.

Much love/
Olle, Jhonny, Niklas, Mike and Effy
"

"The band and Alexander will from now go on in different directions. Olle, Jhonny, Niklas, Mike and Effy will continue playing together, wishing Alex all the best.

The future and what will happen to the 'name' Diamond Dawn is not entirely determined yet, much is happening at the moment and we are still sorting things out. So we ask you, the best people in the world, to be patient at this time and try to check this page regularly for updates. We understand that this must strike most of you as sad news and indeed it is. Be assured though that this in no way is the end of anything but merely the start of something.

There will be a more extensive statement in the near future but this is all for now.

Much love/

Olle, Jhonny, Niklas, Mike and Effy"

The bands biggest problem was the singer. No harm no foul, if they can find a more capable vocalist.

• My Little Pony

Much love/

The bands biggest problem was the singer. No harm no foul, if they can find more capable vocalist.

True. And I didn't even mind the singer.

Much love/

The bands biggest problem was the singer. No harm no foul, if they can find more capable vocalist.

True. And I didn't even mind the singer.

Maybe they can pull a "H.E.A.T"