Kiss...Crazy Nights

Dead Planet

Yes a killer album by KISS IMO. My second fave from the 80's era is REVENGE.

Wouldn't REVENGE be the 90s era? It came out in 1992... just sayin'. :lol:

REVENGE totally kicks more ass than ANIMALIZE, ASYLUM, CRAZY NIGHTS, and HOT IN THE SHADE combined, by the way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a killer album by KISS IMO. My second fave from the 80's era is REVENGE.

Wouldn't REVENGE be the 90s era? It came out in 1992... just sayin'. :lol:

REVENGE totally kicks more ass than ANIMALIZE, ASYLUM, CRAZY NIGHTS, and HOT IN THE SHADE combined, by the way.

Yeah but it still had most of the 80's line up.

Yeah but it still had most of the 80's line up.

Gotcha. Just bustin' yo' onions, Bob. :lol:

Now for the comment about Kiss not being big in Europe prior to this disc I totally disagree with that. Kiss was big in the UK and Europe waaaaaay before Crazy Night came along.

Not to the general public, and not enough for them to tour over here.

Prior to the song Crazy Nights, they had only ever had 2 UK top 40 singles, both in 1983, and both of them failed to break the top 30.

As for albums, five of them reached the top 40 prior to Crazy Nights, and even then only one of them was a 1970s album.

Of the three big 70s US acts (Kiss, Alice and Aerosmith), only Alice had any degree of success here in the 70s.

Kiss were obviously well known in the rock circles, but for true commercial success, they were virtual unknowns here.

Only reason I had ever heard of them was that I collected US comics, and used to see adverts in 70s comics, but even that wasnt until the mid 80s when I started collecting.

I think it is a good album and like it as much as I can like a KISS album anymore. be prepared, you will find that not everyone here will like this album.

No sweat...I'm sure there are as many people who love Asylum which I consider to be one of their worst releases as there are who hate Crazy Nights ...that's life...

I like this album too (especially the Gene Simmons songs) and my favorite KISS material is Asylum. ;)

Same here buddy...Asylum is probably my favorite KISS album of all time. Crazy Nights is great also. Pay no mind to the haters :christmas:

KISS toured England for the first time in '76. They also did two dates @ Wembley Arena in London in 1980.

Just sayin'.... :lol:

Now for the comment about Kiss not being big in Europe prior to this disc I totally disagree with that. Kiss was big in the UK and Europe waaaaaay before Crazy Night came along.

Prior to the song Crazy Nights, they had only ever had 2 UK top 40 singles, both in 1983, and both of them failed to break the top 30.

As for albums, five of them reached the top 40 prior to Crazy Nights, and even then only one of them was a 1970s album.

Of the three big 70s US acts (Kiss, Alice and Aerosmith), only Alice had any degree of success here in the 70s.

Kiss were obviously well known in the rock circles, but for true commercial success, they were virtual unknowns here.

Only reason I had ever heard of them was that I collected US comics, and used to see adverts in 70s comics, but even that wasnt until the mid 80s when I started collecting.

They toured the UK in 76 and did a big tour of Europe in 1980 with Iron Maiden opening so they were big enough to do that. They might of not had commercial success but neither did Metallica in the US but was still successful through touring and still sold records prior to their commercial breakthrough with the Black album. I have many old Kiss vhs tapes and I remember some live footage I think from Spain or Portugal with the Vincent period in makeup where they were playing to a huge crowd. So that would of been 82-83. I guess it comes down to what you consider big and or successful. Such as Def Leppard weren't "commercially" successful in the UK until the Hysteria release but they were still big and known since they toured there and of course they were massive in the US prior to that with both the High N Dry and Pyromania releases but they claim they didn't break through in the UK market until the singe "Animal". I guess for me it's not always about charts and single success.

Im a fan of a few Kiss songs from the 70's, I believe Kiss actually gained some musical credibility to me, when IMO they peaked out with the absolutely fucking mind blowing REVENGE!! does anybody else remember exactly! where they were and what song they first heard from REVENGE? I remember getting home from school in 8th grade, everyday Id run home and turn on KBER 101, and I remember the DJ introducing "FRESH ROCK"(Was what they would introduce a brand new song as)! I remember exactly, "it's fresh rock time off their spankin new panzy album, it looks like Kiss has decided to step up to the plate, for once, and give us something to buy! right now off the cd Revenge, it's UNHOLY" my jaw dropped open when I heard that song, then the next fresh rock was I JUST WANNA! song after song after song, Kullick,and Singer were the balls behind the album, then right after this, Kiss showed everyone their true colors, they werent in it for anything other then piling up the profit, and dumbing down the music, cutting Kullick & Singer, and taking back the extremely less talented original members! hence, nothing even close to Revenge! FUCK KISS! Crazy Nights and No,No, No, are good songs, Gene is standable on his reality show, but truth is he's not talented at very much, other then business!! IMO of course!!

I don't have the "Sonic Boom" release... I wonder how much they will play from that one?

Great album! Their best in 20 years. They've been playing three songs from it.

You were correct. Last night KISS played 3 from Sonic Bomb. Coming from someone who isn't a big KISS fan.. It was quite a good show. Thought there were a few songs that I was surprised not to hear, Mostly... "God Of Thunder". I could have also done without "God Gave Rock 'N Roll To You". But all in all a very solid show... better then the other 2 times I saw them.

I'm sure my seats contributed somewhat to my opinion of the show ... I actually cheated a little and pulled some strings and ended up with 5th row comp tickets. I'll post a few cool photos in the next day or two if anyone wants me to.

I could have also done without "God Gave Rock 'N Roll To You".

UGH! Why the hell are they still playing that song?? It's godawful!!!

The Kiss legacy is much like Van Halen's and Black Sabbath's. For some reason or another, a bands sound changes either due to a key person leaving, or a new decade and new competition comes along. I like both of Kiss's "eras" for different reasons. While I got into Kiss around 1983-84, I knew of them from the makeup days. The 80's polished sound holds fond memories for me because it was the current thing at the time and I bought each cassette as it was released and jammed to it every chance I got, but in between each of those releases (2 years or so) I would buy one or a few of their old releases as to complete my Kiss collection so I'd also get to jam to the old stuff as well.

Sound difference? Of course...

Songwriting differences? Of course...

A band that matured quite a bit? Of course...

New technology? Of course...

I just considered it one long progression of their career. If I had to pick favorite albums??

Hotter Than Hell

Destroyer

Love Gun

Creatures Of The Night

Lick It Up

Animalize

Crazy Nights

Revenge

As I posted years ago in HH under my old nick, this is one of the finest KISS albums, but, as it happened with many of the band´s albums, was not the kind of record that early KISS fans wanted to hear. But I think no one can deny this is an AOR/Hard Rock gem, and a classic that any collector should have. The best tracks for me : "Turn On The Night", "Bang Bang You", "Reason To Live" and "I´ll Fight Hell To Hold You"

I consider myself a Kiss fan (both 70's and 80's era), but I'm not a fan of this album. I consider this album, Hot in the Shade, and Peter Criss' solo to be their worst. I like Bruce Kulick's guitar on this one, but other than the title track and "Thief in the Night", I never listen to it. However, I really like Asylum and there's only a few songs on it that I skip over.

With that said, their Crazy Nights tour was the second time I saw them in concert.

I consider myself a Kiss fan (both 70's and 80's era), but I'm not a fan of this album. I consider this album, Hot in the Shade, and Peter Criss' solo to be their worst. I like Bruce Kulick's guitar on this one, but other than the title track and "Thief in the Night", I never listen to it. However, I really like Asylum and there's only a few songs on it that I skip over.

With that said, their Crazy Nights tour was the second time I saw them in concert.

Just my opinion but I'd think most fans would rate Hot in the Shade above Unmasked.

At least Hot in the Shade had some rocking tunes and didn't have a disco style production but strangely enough Vinnie Poncia was involved in both releases along with the Dynasty album.

• 6 years later...

In typical Ron Nevison style, it lacks bottom end in the mix. Otherwise it's a mighty fine disc with some huge tunes.

LOVE it!