Kiss...Crazy Nights

Dead Planet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an absolute masterpiece. It's my favorite KISS album and my favorite album of all time. Believe me, it is NOT popular in KISS circles to love this album. In fact, even though I celebrate KISS' ENTIRE career, I am often hated by fellow KISS fans for loving this album as much as I do. It just really grabbed me as a young teenager and has stuck with me ever since. General hard rock and melodic rock fans, such as yourself, tend to be a lot more friendly to this album. I'm glad that you finally checked it out and really appreciate it. :)

I think it is a good album and like it as much as I can like a KISS album anymore. be prepared, you will find that not everyone here will like this album.

No sweat...I'm sure there are as many people who love Asylum which I consider to be one of their worst releases as there are who hate Crazy Nights ...that's life...

be prepared, you will find that not everyone here will like this album.

*AHEM* (Raises hand) That would be me. :lol:

I'm a KISS fanboy in most respects but I abso-frickin-lutely hate this album. There's no denying that in terms of album quality, KISS were already on a downhill slide by this point, cuz the preceding ASYLUM was no great shakes either, but the band sounds even more slick and neutered on CRAZY NIGHTS.

Ron Nevison as a producer? Great idea, Gene & Paul. "Hey, that's the guy that saved Heart's collective ass, let's hire him. We'll let him drench us in keyboards and we can git him to produce us a big ole hit power ballad too."

*SPIT*

There are two pieces of the KISS discography that I will never allow in my house -- Peter Criss' solo album from '78 and CRAZY NIGHTS. Shoot, even HOT IN THE SHADE is better than this. But then that's kinda like saying having your hair set on fire is "better" than having your nuts slammed repeatedly in a car door. :lol:

Guest HARD-FM

Crazy Nights is my favorite KISS album as well, and it has the best power ballad KISS ever did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYaV097NlLs

+1 of course because Desmond Child write this song with Paul Stanley (there is the touch of Desmond Child)

Also there is "Forever" on "Hot in the shade" write with Michael Bolton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RKO5ozLVo

and a live version "Shandi" excellent song in live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVP626yTCE&feature=related

Though nowhere near a huge KISS fan I find this release to be decent. If I had to pick a favorite KISS release, strangely enough, it might be "Lick It Up". Not popular among KISS fans V.Vincent would be my favorite guitarist in KISS.

As I have said... I am nowhere near what I would call a KISS fan. That being said... I'm am going to see them twice within the next week. I have a pretty good hook-up that enabled me to get on the band guest list.. so the tickets are beyond great. No way I would have spent money to see them but the price was right for this to happen.

I don't have the "Sonic Boom" release... I wonder how much they will play from that one?

be prepared, you will find that not everyone here will like this album.

*AHEM* (Raises hand) That would be me. :lol:

I'm a KISS fanboy in most respects but I abso-frickin-lutely hate this album. There's no denying that in terms of album quality, KISS were already on a downhill slide by this point, cuz the preceding ASYLUM was no great shakes either, but the band sounds even more slick and neutered on CRAZY NIGHTS.

Ron Nevison as a producer? Great idea, Gene & Paul. "Hey, that's the guy that saved Heart's collective ass, let's hire him. We'll let him drench us in keyboards and we can git him to produce us a big ole hit power ballad too."

*SPIT*

There are two pieces of the KISS discography that I will never allow in my house -- Peter Criss' solo album from '78 and CRAZY NIGHTS. Shoot, even HOT IN THE SHADE is better than this. But then that's kinda like saying having your hair set on fire is "better" than having your nuts slammed repeatedly in a car door. :lol:

Yea I was waiting for Your post as soon as I saw this topic.... :rofl2: I actually was given Peter's solo album.. on VINYL!!! :yikes: I think I played it once maybe, and now it sits at My parents house, somewhere, collecting dust.... :whistle:

I will admit, this is a pretty weak Kiss album, but it's not their worst, at least not in My opinion anyways.... Hot in the Shade was better, and then they put out Revenge and blew their previous few albums in the weeds!!! :beerbang:

Crazy Nights is easily one of my top 3 favorite KISS releases. So many great songs on that album, although there are a few clunkers as well. It's extremely polished but it fits perfectly in the musical climate it was released in. Also, that's when I started to get into the whole hard rock scene, hence one of the reasons for me liking it so much.

Though nowhere near a huge KISS fan I find this release to be decent. If I had to pick a favorite KISS release, strangely enough, it might be "Lick It Up". Not popular among KISS fans V.Vincent would be my favorite guitarist in KISS.

My fav KISS CD too. It's even got my favorite KISS track, "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" and my fav KISS ballad, "A Million to One".

+1 of course because Desmond Child write this song with Paul Stanley (there is the touch of Desmond Child)

Desmond Child is the Antichrist...

Desmond Child is the Antichrist...

:rofl2::kenny:

Crazy Nights is by far one of the best Kiss albums ever, and everything released prior to it is weak in comparison.

I can compile a best of from all the earlier Kiss albums for the truly great tunes, as most of the album tracks were not really that great.

Its no surprise really that Crazy Nights was the album that made them go from being a reasonably well known rock band, to a huge rock band, as it was by far their catchiest album up to that point.

I know in the USA Kiss were THE rock band of the 70s, but this was the album that made Europe sit up and take notice.

Hot in the shade was a big comedown compared to this one, as it seemed to repeat the formula of previous albums of having a handful of great tunes, and a load of filler, but they then redeemed themselves with Revenge.

Sorry guys as a Kiss fan from 1975 this album has a few good songs but nothing that would be considered as classic material.I know that MTV in this period made alot of Kiss's material seem so much better as well of alot of bands in this era.

I think it is a good album and like it as much as I can like a KISS album anymore. be prepared, you will find that not everyone here will like this album.

No sweat...I'm sure there are as many people who love Asylum which I consider to be one of their worst releases as there are who hate Crazy Nights ...that's life...

I like this album too (especially the Gene Simmons songs) and my favorite KISS material is Asylum. ;)

It's an absolute masterpiece. It's my favorite KISS album and my favorite album of all time. Believe me, it is NOT popular in KISS circles to love this album. In fact, even though I celebrate KISS' ENTIRE career, I am often hated by fellow KISS fans for loving this album as much as I do. It just really grabbed me as a young teenager and has stuck with me ever since. General hard rock and melodic rock fans, such as yourself, tend to be a lot more friendly to this album. I'm glad that you finally checked it out and really appreciate it. :)

I agree, Crazy nights is the best Kiss album , better than their 70s albums like Destroyer or Love gun.

It's one of my all time favorites har rock cd.

I'll probably get put to the firing squad here for saying this but what the hell. For me KISS has always been one of those bands that manages to get 1-3 songs per release that are great and the rest are just filler. I don't dislike them and the songs I do like I really like a lot but I never saw the mass appeal. There I said it. :gone:

I wonder if there's a correlation between love/hate of Crazy Nights, and whether you're more of a fan of '70s KISS or '80s KISS. Also, which era you're more familiar with or when you were first exposed to KISS. I find '70s KISS to be dull, and much prefer the more-polished '80s material.

Crazy Nights is one of my least fav Kiss albums. It is an album of it's time as someone said above and it does have a few good tunes but it is way over produced and being fan of the 70's stuff plus the heavier side of Kiss(Creatures, Lick it Up, Revenge, Animalize) this disc has never set well with me for some reason.

Now for the comment about Kiss not being big in Europe prior to this disc I totally disagree with that. Kiss was big in the UK and Europe waaaaaay before Crazy Night came along.

Their best to me. I understand the whole vs. thing, it may not be your thing, but can't deny this one from being good music. The words "overproduced" and "cheesy" are marketing slang for anything worked to perfection. MTV doesn't mean anything in comparing sound on record, and in the 70's they were pushing it as well. "I Was Made For Lovin' You" anyone, catching on the Disco hype? Either way I don't have a problem with anything, I like that song as I like most KISS releases.

Now for the comment about Kiss not being big in Europe prior to this disc I totally disagree with that. Kiss was big in the UK and Europe waaaaaay before Crazy Night came along.

Don't forget South America (they played their last two shows in makeup in Brazil for something like half a million people), Australia (massive crowds when they played there for the first time in 1980), and Japan (where they've been a consistent draw since the 70s).