First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Blind Date - s/t

Sorry Geoff but this is Hair Metal by the numbers. Yes there's some very good songs and they're played just fine but there's many other bands that have done this better but I still would rather listen to this this most Modern Rock bands.

So a good cd but not a great one IMO.

Damn you. *shakes fist* ;)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind Date - s/t

Sorry Geoff but this is Hair Metal by the numbers. Yes there's some very good songs and they're played just fine but there's many other bands that have done this better but I still would rather listen to this this most Modern Rock bands.

So a good cd but not a great one IMO.

I TOTALLY agree with Wes. Just plain, plain. I would say it's an okay cd. Not even good. I told you Geoff :nyanya::lol:

Nation Beyond-The Aftermath Odyssey

According the sticker on the front this band is supposed to be for fans of Savatage, Evergrey and Queensryche. After the first spin I can't say that they really sound like any of those bands. Sure there might be a moment or two where I hear a little 'Ryche but overall what you have here is a standard generic Symphonic Power Metal with some Female vocals thrown in for good measure. This isn't a bad album but it's not a great one either. While there are a few solid tunes such as "In the Ashes", "New Eden City", "Soul Mates"(a duet with a female vocalist) and the powerful "The Last Deceiver", I'm not sure if I will come back to this disc to often. Did I mention this was a concept album? Well it is and maybe if I take the time to read the lyrics as I listen it might change my opinion but as it stands now what we have here is a good but not great album but something that's not good enough to get spun to many more times.

CHEAP TRICK-BUDOKAN DVD..

Okay,to put visuals to a release that was a BIG hit and a FAVE of mine is

really stunning. Cheap Trick at Budokan is an all time Classic IMO and to

finally witness it on film...WOW. This is a Band that usually gets stereo-typed

as a Power Pop band, and yes they do have Power, and they will Pop you upside your

head..with some AMAZING songs ,But beyond that they are top notch Musos..Robin really shines, his VOX are perfect (does he ever sing flat??) Tom is holding it down oh so well

with that Fat sounding 12 string Bass ( His hand strength has got to be AMAZING)

Rick Is the Riff-Meister who Never Overplays (Even though he has the chops to do so)

and Bun E Carlos..Bun E Is the Unsung star here..He lays down groove after groove

never getting in the way, yet flaunting Chops most drummers wish they had..to him

they don't seem stiff, he just grooves away..as you can tell I REALLY enjoyed

watching part of my early youth unfold again before my eyes and ears In a way I never thought possible..It really took me back and Damn It's KILLER!!! Do yourself a favor and go get this Rereleased/ Remastered Classic!!!!

as a Power Pop band, and yes they do have Power, and they will Pop you upside your

head..with some AMAZING songs ,But beyond that they are top notch Musos..Robin really shines, his VOX are perfect (does he ever sing flat??) Tom is holding it down oh so well

with that Fat sounding 12 string Bass ( His hand strength has got to be AMAZING)

Rick Is the Riff-Meister who Never Overplays (Even though he has the chops to do so)

and Bun E Carlos..Bun E Is the Unsung star here..He lays down groove after groove

never getting in the way, yet flaunting Chops most drummers wish they had..to him

watching part of my early youth unfold again before my eyes and ears In a way I never thought possible..It really took me back and Damn It's KILLER!!! Do yourself a favor and go get this Rereleased/ Remastered Classic!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. A bloody excellent box set this really is :tumbsup:

POISON - BOX SET (COLLECTORS EDITION)

Okay, to put all my favorite tunes together by a band that is a FAVE of mine is

really stunning. Poison's box set is an all time Classic IMO and to

finally listen to all their smash hits right in a row...WOW. This is a Band that usually gets stereo-typed

as a loser glam band, and yes they do have losers, and they will glam you upside your

head..with some AMAZING makeup and hairstylin', But beyond that they are top notch Musos..Bret really shines, his VOX are perfect (does he ever sing flat??) Bobby is holding it down oh so well

with that Fat sounding 4 string Bass (His hand strength has got to be AMAZING)

CC Is the Lick-Meister who Never Overplays (Even though he has the chops to do so)

and Rikki...Rikki Is the Unsung star here..He lays down groove after groove

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. A bloody excellent box set this really is :tumbsup:

Wow, that is surprising Jez, your musical tastes must really be changing with age... :blink:

finally listen to all their smash hits right in a row...WOW. This is a Band that usually gets stereo-typed

as a loser glam band, and yes they do have losers, and they will glam you upside your

head..with some AMAZING makeup and hairstylin', But beyond that they are top notch Musos..Bret really shines, his VOX are perfect (does he ever sing flat??) Bobby is holding it down oh so well

CC Is the Lick-Meister who Never Overplays (Even though he has the chops to do so)

Wow, that is surprising Jez, your musical tastes must really be changing with age... :blink:

Always hated this band mate :D

:rofl2:

Thanks Mate!!! :drink:

Guardian - Miracle Mile

Wow.... after hearing "Sister Wisdom" on Pandora.com the other day, I asked Mark to recommend the appropriate Guardian CD's for a melodic rocker like myself. Holy crap, this is good stuff! Well produced, well written, well played and Jamie Rowe sounding great on vocals. I never listened to these guys before, being the secular little heathen bastard that I am, and I am sorry that I waited this long. This is just great melodic rock with a touch of hair metal style, great guitars and a lot of harmony vocals. Unlike Stryper (who I also like a lot) the lyrics aren't quite as obviously bible-licious and the stuff just rocks! Check it out!

Guardian - Miracle Mile

Wow.... after hearing "Sister Wisdom" on Pandora.com the other day, I asked Mark to recommend the appropriate Guardian CD's for a melodic rocker like myself. Holy crap, this is good stuff! Well produced, well written, well played and Jamie Rowe sounding great on vocals. I never listened to these guys before, being the secular little heathen bastard that I am, and I am sorry that I waited this long. This is just great melodic rock with a touch of hair metal style, great guitars and a lot of harmony vocals. Unlike Stryper (who I also like a lot) the lyrics aren't quite as obviously bible-licious and the stuff just rocks! Check it out!

The disc before this one "Fire and Love" is much better, IMO. It would appeal to you as well.

Their first disc "First Watch" is good, just a bit unfocused.

Guardian - Miracle Mile

The disc before this one "Fire and Love" is much better, IMO. It would appeal to you as well.

I got Fire and Love too, those were the two that Mark recommended. I just decided to listen to MM first because I was familiar with Sister Wisdom... :)

Can't wait to listen to F&L!

FIRST WATCH sounds like a lost Dokken album.

Moritz - 'City Streets' ; Actually really loved this. A couple of fillers, but some real gems - mostly the first song and 'Don't walk away'. Beautiful slabs of AOR, only highlighting further what is evidently missing from the genre these days. Fantastic stuff and I'm already anticipating my next spin.

Tradia - 'Welcome to paradise' ; decent slab of AOR. Wasn't blown away but I wasn't skipping through the songs either. A good solid listening session.

Guardian - Miracle Mile

Wow...after hearing "Sister Wisdom" on Pandora.com the other day, I asked Mark to recommend the appropriate Guardian CDs for a melodic rocker like myself. Holy crap, this is good stuff! Well produced, well written, well played and Jamie Rowe sounding great on vocals. I never listened to these guys before, being the secular little heathen bastard that I am, and I am sorry that I waited this long. This is just great melodic rock with a touch of hair metal style, great guitars and a lot of harmony vocals. Unlike Stryper (who I also like a lot) the lyrics aren't quite as obviously Bible-licious and the stuff just rocks! Check it out!

Glad I could be of service (and uh, for the record, I don't mean "service" in the same way Geoff does). Frankly, I had little doubt you would enjoy this CD, just as I have little doubt you'll also enjoy "Fire & Love," though which one will be your fave is not something I dare predict. As you said, this is simply great stuff all around, an album I have pretty much memorized every note of, yet still play very frequently. And yes, leave it to a heathen bastard like you to notice the lack of in-your-face Christian lyrics. ;) I have reported your wickedness to God, who has promised to deal with you after He gets around to ramming lightning bolts up Geoff's ass for his seemingly-ceaseless Christ-bashing. :P

Guardian - Miracle Mile

Wow...after hearing "Sister Wisdom" on Pandora.com the other day, I asked Mark to recommend the appropriate Guardian CDs for a melodic rocker like myself. Holy crap, this is good stuff! Well produced, well written, well played and Jamie Rowe sounding great on vocals. I never listened to these guys before, being the secular little heathen bastard that I am, and I am sorry that I waited this long. This is just great melodic rock with a touch of hair metal style, great guitars and a lot of harmony vocals. Unlike Stryper (who I also like a lot) the lyrics aren't quite as obviously Bible-licious and the stuff just rocks! Check it out!

Glad I could be of service (and uh, for the record, I don't mean "service" in the same way Geoff does). Frankly, I had little doubt you would enjoy this CD, just as I have little doubt you'll also enjoy "Fire & Love," though which one will be your fave is not something I dare predict. As you said, this is simply great stuff all around, an album I have pretty much memorized every note of, yet still play very frequently. And yes, leave it to a heathen bastard like you to notice the lack of in-your-face Christian lyrics. ;) I have reported your wickedness to God, who has promised to deal with you after He gets around to ramming lightning bolts up Geoff's ass for his seemingly-ceaseless Christ-bashing. :P

Oh no! The scary man with the beard in the cloud's gonna get me! AHH! I'm so scared of what he'll do to me. ;)

Seriously, though, after having it on my 'Sale' list for ages I finally got rid of 'Miracle Mile' last week. Wasn't a fan of that disc at all. I do like 'Fire and love' and 'First Watch', however.

Places Of Power - Now Is The Hour

This is pretty good in places. with some nice tunes. General sound and production is good, without being too slick, and this will appeal more to the peoople who liked like the last Bruce Turgon and Shadow King discs than the more AOR of the Philip Bardowell disc. Nothing earthshattering , but solid throughout.

Sturm Und Drang - Rock 'n' Roll Children

Wow - These kids make a good noise. This is VERY solid all the way through and I would say quite a big improvement songwise than the more standard Hard rock of the debut. Loads of strong, hooky songs, well played and with a super slick production - Very nice surprise this one.

Last Autumns Dream - Dreamcatcher

As I said in my little review, pretty much what you'd expect and nothing that really stands out compared with all their other stuff. It is nicely played and produced and there are a few good tracks, but they need to start writing more exciting songs than these. (they have had 6 albums worth of practice now!!)

Robby Valentine - Androgenius

SHM-CD Japanese Double 'Best Of...' split into Future' and 'Past', these discs feature 28 remastered tracks covering most of Robby's albums, with 6 brand new re-recordings thrown in along the way. A very nice package this one and a must have for RV new comers with a few surprises along the way for existing fans aswell.

Face Dancer - This World (Re-issue)

Quirky Pomp at it's best, with the full fantastic Rock Candy treatment behind it. Really cool to finally have a full proper re-issue of this one.

Trillion - Clear Approach (Re-issue)

One of the best Pomp discs ever released in my humble opinion, now widely avaliable to everyone after the pricey Jap versions that were doing the rounds. The usual very high Rock Candy standards plus a great bonus track aswell, so if you haven't heard it or never bought it before, now is your chance - 'Make It Last Forever' is still one awesome song as is all of this disc.

TALL STORIES - Skyscraper

Wow, what the hell happened to the AOR scene lately? Firstly Bad Habit released their weakest album to date, then Places of Power/Last Autumns Dream/Robert Berry all released thoroughly mediocre albums, followed by news that Andrew McNeice thinks Alias' 2nd album is somehow worthy of being released (it sucks). Now Tall Stories have released an album of Led Zeppelin b-sides. The vocals are weak, the songwriting is horrible, there are zero hooks, & this is a terrible album....

Wow, what the hell happened to the AOR scene lately? Firstly Bad Habit released their weakest album to date, then Places of Power/Last Autumns Dream/Robert Berry all released thoroughly mediocre albums, followed by news that Andrew McNeice thinks Alias' 2nd album is somehow worthy of being released (it sucks). Now Tall Stories have released an album of Led Zeppelin b-sides. The vocals are weak, the songwriting is horrible, there are zero hooks, & this is a terrible album....

Just get Place Vendome and all will seem right with the world.

Just get Place Vendome and all will seem right with the world.

If it's even half as good as the first album I'll love it....

Haha - I was thinking the same thing about the Alias earlier - Not exactly huge news for me. Some tracks are unreleased for a reason never mind a whole album full ;) It ain't bad to be honest, but as an album, VERY patchy songwise. I have had a cd-r of it for years and that doesn't get played, so my mind is not likely to change with an official release either. I'll stick with the excellent S/T.

The Places Of Power is a solid disc though mate, thought you might have liked that one. 'Desires Of Our Hearts ' is a killer tune.

Zeppelin B-sides? Like Kingdom Come? If so I'll probably dig this one.

I did listen to a few samples and I liked what I heard even if it didn't sound anything like the glorious debut.

Zeppelin B-sides? Like Kingdom Come? If so I'll probably dig this one.

I did listen to a few samples and I liked what I heard even if it didn't sound anything like the glorious debut.

I think Tim was actually being generous with his review. :lol:

Red - Innocence & Instinct ; Okay in places, I guess. Songs 3-5 and 7 are all good and the rest is pretty much just nu-metal filler. Sorry Stefan if I'm not allowed to accurately describe music ( ;) ) but that's pretty much all we have here. 3-5 are all ballads and 7 has a great chorus... the rest is just filler.

Blue Rain - 'Just the beginning' ; Nice enough balladic AOR band. The recording I have is pretty poor and kind of spoils the party, but the songs are pretty nice.