First Spin Impressions

JustJason

I Got A Few Discs from Keef...A TROO METTLE WARRIOR....Thanks Bro..

Jizzy Pearl-Vegas Must Die. Really good sleaze sound much like Love/Hate..In

fact I think it's much more cohesive than the latter... stand out tracks

being True Love,Little Dancer and Lies..Really digging this one.

Circle II Circle-Delusions Of Grandeur...No Delusions here...this

F*cker Kicks ASS. A Band I have often overlooked..My Mistake...There isn't a

Bad song on here..and ther sound is HUGE...Dead Of Dawn and Soul Breaker

Really Standing out...CHOICE!!

Jon Oliva's Pain-Global Warming- As with Circle II Circle, this was

also a band that always seemed to slip by me..Being a HUGE fan of Savatage, I

didn't want to get my hopes up, well no need to worry as this is a Killer Slab

of GREAT Music.. as with C II C,Jon writes/cowrites all of the music...and

you know he'll deliver...Stand out Tracks are..Adding The Cost, Firefly and The Ride

Backed on the JOP and CIIC discs. :banger:

If you haven't checked them out yet get both of their catalogs. :headbanger:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know he'll deliver...Stand out Tracks are..Adding The Cost, Firefly and The Ride

:drink: I plan on doing that!! :banger:

:drink: I plan on doing that!! :banger:

If you want to check any of them out let me know.

Yep definitely check out the back catalogues of JOP and CIIC. Mainly because all their other albums are way way better than these new ones IMHO....

Rob Rock - Garden of Chaos

Some good Melodic Metal on this one with some great tunes such as the title track, "Savior's Call", "This Time is the Last Time", "Spirit in the Sky", the nice ballad "Unconditional" and the kind of out of place Helloween meets Stratovarius influenced "Millennial Reign". Good stuff.

I love this album!

New Found Glory - 'Not without a fight' ; after a really, really strong previous album in 'Coming home', this is a good follow-up, but admittedly, based on first spin, it falls short of the last album. The sound is a little ballsier and the songs a bit more varied. It's hard to gauge how it'll rate, but based on first spin I was pretty impressed. Definitely needs a few more.

Alkaline Trio - 'Irony and Agony' ; As only a very mild/partial "fan" of their earlier work, this slipped by me last year and I probably would never have heard it if not for Soundwave '09... but I'm glad I did. Overall, a very strong album but what really surprised me was a number of very great songs. Easily the best I've heard from these guys.

From First to Last - s/t ; Another band I'd forgotten about if not for Soundwave... and hold shit am I glad I let this into my ears. After two decent previous discs, this one blows them out the water. I haven't completely finished spinning it, but goddamn this sounds like Saosin... which can only ever be a good thing. Great album.

New Found Glory - 'Not without a fight' ; after a really, really strong previous album in 'Coming home', this is a good follow-up, but admittedly, based on first spin, it falls short of the last album. The sound is a little ballsier and the songs a bit more varied. It's hard to gauge how it'll rate, but based on first spin I was pretty impressed. Definitely needs a few more.

Alkaline Trio - 'Irony and Agony' ; As only a very mild/partial "fan" of their earlier work, this slipped by me last year and I probably would never have heard it if not for Soundwave '09... but I'm glad I did. Overall, a very strong album but what really surprised me was a number of very great songs. Easily the best I've heard from these guys.

Yeah that Alkaline Trio is a good disc, definitely their best. Interested to see how you rate the NFG after a few spins, is on my shopping list (along with the new A DAY TO REMEMBER)....

Yeah that Alkaline Trio is a good disc, definitely their best. Interested to see how you rate the NFG after a few spins, is on my shopping list (along with the new A DAY TO REMEMBER)....

Spinning New Found Glory again now. Did you like 'Coming Home'?

A Day To Remember is a great band I just discovered for myself last year. I would definitely be interested in their new material.

A Day To Remember is a great band I just discovered for myself last year. I would definitely be interested in their new material.

Yeah I liked "Coming Home", but the reviews of the new album haven't been that good....

A Day To Remember are awesome, Emo-Death Metal! New album is s'posed to have lots more clean-vocs on it.

LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

This band have never disappointed, they never stray much from their standard sound but they also never release a weak album. Here they sound closer than ever to the "Vulgar Display of Power"-Pantera sound, but with a slightly darker edge. In fact this is very very close to being as good as Pantera's finest album IMO, & it certainly crushes all the Pantera albums post-"Vulgar Display....". "Contractor" sounds remarkably like "F***ing Hostile", & there are loads of other similarities. This is a much more organic sounding disc than "Sacrament" & is more dynamic than "Ashes of the Wake", with drummer Chris Adler showing why he's the best drummer in Heavy Metal. Awesome album that will sell by the bucketload, & probably joint with MACHINE HEAD's "The Blackening" in being the best Metal release in the last 10 years.... :banger:

LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

This band have never disappointed, they never stray much from their standard sound but they also never release a weak album. Here they sound closer than ever to the "Vulgar Display of Power"-Pantera sound, but with a slightly darker edge. In fact this is very very close to being as good as Pantera's finest album IMO, & it certainly crushes all the Pantera albums post-"Vulgar Display....". "Contractor" sounds remarkably like "F***ing Hostile", & there are loads of other similarities. This is a much more organic sounding disc than "Sacrament" & is more dynamic than "Ashes of the Wake", with drummer Chris Adler showing why he's the best drummer in Heavy Metal. Awesome album that will sell by the bucketload, & probably joint with MACHINE HEAD's "The Blackening" in being the best Metal release in the last 10 years.... :banger:

any clean vocals??

LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

any clean vocals??

Yeah there's a spoken-word intro to one of the songs. :lol:

The vocals are harsh but he doesn't scowl as much on this one. If you don't mind Hetfield's vocals then this should be palatable, but not sure it'll be your thing mate. It absolutely batters the new Metallica disc though, IMHO.

LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

any clean vocals??

Yeah there's a spoken-word intro to one of the songs. :lol:

The vocals are harsh but he doesn't scowl as much on this one. If you don't mind Hetfield's vocals then this should be palatable, but not sure it'll be your thing mate. It absolutely batters the new Metallica disc though, IMHO.

Mmm might check it out.

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN - Perpetual Flame

What a strange one this is. Ripper's voice is on fine form but it just doesn't really work with this material, which is very very ordinary Hard Rock fare IMO. The guitar work is as per usual, flashy & OTT, but it's the only reason you'd buy this album for. The worst thing is the horrible sound quality which does nothing for the guitar tone or mix of vocals/instruments. A few highlights (like the killer "Live to Fight Another Day"), but another patchy release & another line-up that surely won't last more than this one album...

LAMB OF GOD - Wrath

:banger: Wow...I can't wait.... Chris Adler is a MONSTER Player!!! :banger:

a few more from The Great Keef to review....

Saint-Crime Scene Earth.

I was really looking forward to hearing this one...well after a fews spins

I must say it is a real let down..gone are the Priest Like songs and music

as well as the hooks..this is an average bland release...WTF happened

to them....

Cage-Darker Than Black.

Pretty good "Painkiller" styled Metal with just enough

punch to keep it enjoyable...good riffs and playing..the

Vox are pretty good to0, so after 1 spin I'd give it a thumbs up :tumbsup:

Crooked X-Crooked X

Picked this up at lunch today cause I had heard the song Fade, I thought it was

pretty cool song... well the rest of the release is the same. Hard Rocking, great songs

great production, cool band name etc...what BLOWS Me away is the fact that all the

guys in the band are 14 years old...No shit. Man they have some serious chops

and the singer is amazing!! Standout songs are...Fade....You Gotta Bleed...

Nail In The Coffin...Rock N Roll Dream... Great stuff!!

Yeah I liked "Coming Home", but the reviews of the new album haven't been that good....

A Day To Remember are awesome, Emo-Death Metal! New album is s'posed to have lots more clean-vocs on it.

Yeah, the new NFG disc is definitely not as strong as 'Coming home'. It's honestly a decent album but I'm 4 spins in now and nothing's really stood out for me yet. But on the other hand, there's no crap on it. I'd call it solid. This new RJA disc is definitely better on second spin.

a few more from The Great Keef to review....

Saint-Crime Scene Earth.

I was really looking forward to hearing this one...well after a fews spins

I must say it is a real let down..gone are the Priest Like songs and music

as well as the hooks..this is an average bland release...WTF happened

to them....

Cage-Darker Than Black.

Pretty good "Painkiller" styled Metal with just enough

punch to keep it enjoyable...good riffs and playing..the

Vox are pretty good to0, so after 1 spin I'd give it a thumbs up :tumbsup:

Dude if you like "Darker Than Black" You should definitely check out their newest album "Hell Destroyer" It KILLS!!!! :headbanger:

Hot leg - whatever its called

Better then i expected and ill prob pick this up, but doesnt quite live up to The Darkness or Stone Gods. Hawkins vocals are as over the top as ever, and some of the lyrics are cringeworthy. Apart from alot of the songs are a bit familiar, this is pretty fun rock n roll.