First Spin Impressions

JustJason

TALL STORIES - Skyscraper

Wow, what the hell happened to the AOR scene lately? Firstly Bad Habit released their weakest album to date, then Places of Power/Last Autumns Dream/Robert Berry all released thoroughly mediocre albums, followed by news that Andrew McNeice thinks Alias' 2nd album is somehow worthy of being released (it sucks). Now Tall Stories have released an album of Led Zeppelin b-sides. The vocals are weak, the songwriting is horrible, there are zero hooks, & this is a terrible album....

Just get Place Vendome and all will seem right with the world.

If it's even half as good as the first album I'll love it....

truth be told..........its better.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what the hell happened to the AOR scene lately? Firstly Bad Habit released their weakest album to date, then Places of Power/Last Autumns Dream/Robert Berry all released thoroughly mediocre albums, followed by news that Andrew McNeice thinks Alias' 2nd album is somehow worthy of being released (it sucks). Now Tall Stories have released an album of Led Zeppelin b-sides. The vocals are weak, the songwriting is horrible, there are zero hooks, & this is a terrible album....

Backed. A lot better, I'd actually have to say.

Mmm, pretty close - I listened to the 1st one earlier and it is still a great album.

Cross The Line, Magic Carpet, Right Here Right Now, Too Late, I Will Be Waiting, Sign Of The Times.....all stunning in my book :tumbsup:

Mmm, pretty close - I listened to the 1st one earlier and it is still a great album.

Cross The Line, Magic Carpet, Right Here Right Now, Too Late, I Will Be Waiting, Sign Of The Times.....all stunning in my book :tumbsup:

Yeah, both great discs, but I do prefer the newie.

Balance - 'In for the count' ; okay, I'll be fair to this. It was released in 1982, when the best thing in music was the fact that 1984 was only two years away. Back then, I assume this was about the best you could get. In 1982 I can understand some (now ancient) kid hearing this and being delighted with it. So I'll give it that. Fast forward to 2009, via 1984 to 1992, and this just doesn't stand a chance. I understand sentimental value to some, but as a AOR/rock album it is half decent at best. The thing I find with a lot of these bands from back then is that the discs start okay, but after song three they just seem to give up. The closer was okay, but the rest was pretty poor. A LOT of filler. The first 2 songs are pretty fun, though, and the third is okay. As I say, not bad but I can't see any circumstances that would lead me to spin this again.

The Classic Crime - 'The Albatross'

The Classic Crime - 'The Silver Cord'

I'll just do one review for both discs. If you like Story of the Year, RJA and The Used and need to own every band like them, try these guys. If not, pick 'em up for cheap. These guys are good. Quite good, in fact, but dime-a-dozen. Very unoriginal and they don't bring anything new to the table so while it's good, it's solid... there are better out there.

Autumn Black - THE UNBORN TRAGEDY

YAY, more screamy metal-core crap from Autumn Black!! I trashed this band's last disc in Detritus e-zine back in '07, so either nobody in their management camp read that review, or the band are just gluttons for punishment. Either way this is another CD that couldn't end fast enough for me. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!! :puke:

It was released in 1982, when the best thing in music was the fact that 1984 was only two years away.

the usual hilarious comment.

A Clown. I fell about laughing aswell, but in pity. :whistle:

It was released in 1982, when the best thing in music was the fact that 1984 was only two years away.

I know, I pity anyone who thinks there's any properly decent music from this era too, but we'll get by. aw.gif

I know, I pity anyone who thinks there's any properly decent music from this era too, but we'll get by. aw.gif

Oh dear, that's a very lonely opinion you have there mate.....I would doubt there's even one person on this site who would agree with that comment whether you talk AOR or metal.

I mean, come on -

AOR were the golden years with arguably the best albums from Journey, Aviator, Touch, REO, Le Roux, New England, Toto, Nightranger, Asia, Magnum....and some great UK bands like Wildlife, Charlie etc

And in terms of metal, Dio, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Triumph, AC/DC, Maiden, Y&T, MSG....hell it was probably THE era.

Nuff said.

Oh dear, that's a very lonely opinion you have there mate.....I would doubt there's even one person on this site who would agree with that comment whether you talk AOR or metal.

I mean, come on -

AOR were the golden years with arguably the best albums from Journey, Aviator, Touch, REO, Le Roux, New England, Toto, Nightranger, Asia, Magnum....and some great UK bands like Wildlife, Charlie etc

And in terms of metal, Dio, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Triumph, AC/DC, Maiden, Y&T, MSG....hell it was probably THE era.

Nuff said.

To be completely honest I don't really listen to anything before about 1986/1987 either. With a few outstanding exceptions (like Touch/Toto) I just don't really like anything to sounds that dated, though I do respect that it was the golden age for AOR & Heavy Metal. And I'm quite a bit older than Geoff too...

I mean, come on -

Nuff said.

To be completely honest I don't really listen to anything before about 1986/1987 either. With a few outstanding exceptions (like Touch/Toto) I just don't really like anything to sounds that dated, though I do respect that it was the golden age for AOR & Heavy Metal. And I'm quite a bit older than Geoff too...

I reckon that half of my top 20 all time list is from those bands I mentioned from that period.

I mean, come on -

Nuff said.

And Mark (metalmanic777) also does not cater to pre-1984 music. Which is why Tim and Mark are two opinions I have a lot of time for. ;) There's not many here, but I'm sure there are a few more than you'd expect.

But the same could be said for you Brits and your apparent hatred for every single late 80's hard rock band from the US. You Brits (with the exception of Sambora86) consistently seem to hate all the US hard rock bands which are knee deep in appreciation by everyone else on the board. ;) Racists.

Seriously, I can understand why people like stuff from that pre-1984 era, having grown up in it, and I wouldn't dare deny it's place, but I honestly get 100% zero enjoyment out of the majority of music pre-1984. As I said, music was just not that far advanced back then, imo, to sound good - no matter what they did. :lol: Call it 'dated' as Tim says, call it what you will. Like dance music, the whole sound of music back then will just never appeal to me. :)

I mean, come on -

Nuff said.

And Mark (metalmanic777) also does not cater to pre-1984 music. Which is why Tim and Mark are two opinions I have a lot of time for. ;) There's not many here, but I'm sure there are a few more than you'd expect.

But the same could be said for you Brits and your apparent hatred for every single late 80's hard rock band from the US. You Brits (with the exception of Sambora86) consistently seem to hate all the US hard rock bands which are knee deep in appreciation by everyone else on the board. ;) Racists.

Seriously, I can understand why people like stuff from that pre-1984 era, having grown up in it, and I wouldn't dare deny it's place, but I honestly get 100% zero enjoyment out of the majority of music pre-1984. As I said, music was just not that far advanced back then, imo, to sound good - no matter what they did. :lol: Call it 'dated' as Tim says, call it what you will. Like dance music, the whole sound of music back then will just never appeal to me. :)

Im no racist mate, I love nearly every US hard rock band from the late 80s. :tumbsup:

Seriously mate post 84 is probably my main era as well, but I can appreciate good music when I hear it and to be honest some of THE best albums were recorded in this period.

Journey - Escape/Evolution/Infintiy, Aviator - s/t, Nightranger - Dawn Patrol, Toto - all of them, Le Roux - So Fired Up, Magnum - Chase The Dragon, Asia - s/t, Wildlife - s/t, Charlie - s/t

and so much metal Im not even going to bother listing............

Yeah, can see what you're saying, mate. I'm a bit of a prick like that, though. I can appreciate it's place, but if I honestly don't like it and truly don't think it is very good compared to what was released afterwards, there is no way I am going to lend my time to it. :)

Anyway, been a really good night for new spins tonight:

Faith Healer - s/t ; awesome little EP I just got my ears around, which was released in 2006. This is a really good, solid hard rock band. I don't know if I just missed people talking about it, or if no one did talk about them. Very good band that I would love to hear more of.

Night By Night - s/t ; If my computer's wisened up I'm going to trek the net for these guys soon. Three track EP which is just great. The first track almost sounded a little modern, vocal-wise, but there's no doubt these guys are in the whole 80's-styled hard rock scene. The three songs are all very enjoyable and I will certainly try to find what I can on this band and await a full album. Great harmony vocals too. Great stuff.

Guru - Pre-production demo ; I don't know who knows these guys, but this could be magnificent. All the songs here are good, but there is one - I think it's called 'Sometimes', which is simply stunning. And these guys have a really, really great melodic hard rock sound. Might really be a contender when they get an album released.

Adrenaline Kick - 'Bad Reputation' ; If I'm not mistaken, these guys are British? If this is so, surely we have here the best hard rock band of this style from the UK there was... purely because I don't think I've really heard another band like this from the UK. Gritty hard rock I saw described as a "heavier Warrant" which is actually pretty accurate. I also hear a much, much better version of Skyhigh, who are compared to Warrant. But this is really, really cool hard rock sure to please fans of Skid Row, Sven Gali and the like. Don't get me wrong - it's nothing ground-breaking or off-the-charts, but it is extremely solid and consistent. Each songs hold it's own - definitely no fillers - and I'm on my third spin in a row and just loving it. :)

CANNIBAL CORPSE - Evisceration Plague

The biggest selling Death Metal band are back & they've kept up the standard from the mightly "Kill". They somehow manage to sound heavier & more technical than ever, but also more tuneful - with some great choruses on here. Another HUGE production (they surely must realise that using Neil Kernon for the piss-weak "Wretched Spawn" was a mistake) & a technical prowess that puts most of the Deathcore bands to shame, this is an essential disc for fans of the heavy stuff. Hopefully the new Morbid Angel disc will be this good... :banger:

I mean, come on -

Nuff said.

Im no racist mate, I love nearly every US hard rock band from the late 80s. :tumbsup:

Seriously mate post 84 is probably my main era as well, but I can appreciate good music when I hear it and to be honest some of THE best albums were recorded in this period.

Journey - Escape/Evolution/Infintiy, Aviator - s/t, Nightranger - Dawn Patrol, Toto - all of them, Le Roux - So Fired Up, Magnum - Chase The Dragon, Asia - s/t, Wildlife - s/t, Charlie - s/t

and so much metal Im not even going to bother listing............

Ignore Bam Bam the EMO clown mate.

391860CHJG_w.jpg

Poley/Rivera - Only Human

I gave this a good listen in the car on the way home last night, and the second half on the way in this morning. Nice and loud (but not too loud) on the Bose system. From the first listen this appears to be an album of very strong and very weak points. Admittedly I had very high expectations, because I love Ted's voice, and Vic is an awesome songwriter. Good news is I think both of these expectations were met, Ted sounds good (albeit a bit low in the mix for my tastes) and the songwriting goes from just good to brilliant on some tracks. The recording is crisp and clear with plenty of separation, you could never accuse this of being "muddy." The problem for me? It just doesn't sound like there's much life there, and it desperately needs some outside influences. Vic's got two VERY strong points, he can write the fuck out of a song, and he plays a very solid rhythm guitar with great tones. Unfortunately in very few places does it ever "gel", and to me just sounds like some great instrumental tracks were laid down, EQ'd beautifully, and leveled perfectly so you could hear everything and then straight off to manufacturing. Everything is also played dead on perfectly with regard to timing, placement, etc. but if I'm not mistaken (and no I did not read the liner notes, and they're in my car and I'm just too damn lazy to go get them) I'll bet Vic played damn near EVERYTHING on here as well as recording it himself. As a result you lose the tension and excitement of different flavors coming together. It would be like making a recipe and using only salt as your seasoning, yeah you can balance it out perfectly so there's just enough, but where's the excitement of different spices. On top of that, to bring together and enhance an excellent recording/engineering job it desperately needs a producer. If you had Dennis Ward or Ty Sims or whomever I think this would have been a real winner, all the right raw ingredients are there, it just needs the right hand to balance it all out.

Panic - EPIDEMIC (1991)

Got this one in a trade last week from Herr Martinsane... thanx bro :beerbang:

Anyway, Panic were/are pretty typical of what most thrash metal bands sounded like in the early 90s... rather than chasing the Metallica formula to infinity, thrashers were starting to mix in a bit of groove and became more interested in simpler, more pummeling songs than in showing off their musical virtuosity (i.e. Hell-ooooo, Pantera's COWBOYS FROM HELL, which is a pretty obvious influence here). That is not to say that Panic don't whoop their share of ass though. The disc was produced by Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt of Exodus fame and those guys know their thrash, and the vocalist has a good, snotty, snarling delivery so this album kept my head boppin' throughout (aside from the godawful jokey cover of KISS' "I Stole Your Love"). Stand out tracks: "Blackfeather Shake," "Pile O'Bones, and "Hypochondriac." Cool stuff.

Stormwarrior - NORTHERN RAGE (2004)

Take a cup of WALLS OF JERICHO era Helloween. Mix with equal amount of early Gamma Ray. Add in several heaping spoonfuls of Grave Digger's penchant for epic songs about vikings and Valhalla. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Serves anyone who enjoys derivative but still enjoyable, lightning-fast Euro-power metal.

Stormwarrior - NORTHERN RAGE (2004)

Take a cup of WALLS OF JERICHO era Helloween. Mix with equal amount of early Gamma Ray. Add in several heaping spoonfuls of Grave Digger's penchant for epic songs about vikings and Valhalla. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes. Serves anyone who enjoys derivative but still listenable, lightning-fast Euro-power metal.

:rofl2:

Neverland - S/T

I had never heard this disc before until I got it today in a trade with Mike (thanx again mate). Where has this been all my life - truly excellent. Reminds me a little of less keyboard version of Boulevard (especially with the vocals aswell), but more importantly some fabulous tunes - 'Running On', 'Ten Thousand Years' and the awesome 'Mama Said' especially. This will definitely take a hammering over the coming days and weeks.

Mark Boals - 'Edge of the world' ; I just honestly don't understand why this guy records solo CDs when so many better bands can often not get their CDs out there. I really quite like that Billionaire Boy's Club CD, but this is the 2nd solo CD from him I have tried. And it just sucks. It really does. Playing is okay, vocals are okay, songs are pretty solid, but the CD is just crap. It's one of those CDs where a good band could have taken about 7 or 8 songs straight off this CD, recorded them in their style, and made them great. As they are here... just average, sloppy and hookless delivery. The songs are kind of there... everything else just isn't. This CD bored me to tears and I skipped the 2nd half of the majority of the songs. Last song was the best... of a poor bunch.

Hell N Diesel - PASSION FOR POWER

No frills, old fashioned sleazy hard rock here. Nothing new or original but it's played well. The singer reminds me a bit of Stephen Shareaux (sp?) from Kik Tracee. The album is let down somewhat by the cheap sounding recording but otherwise, not bad at all. (Thanx Wes!)