First Spin Impressions

JustJason

We Wish You a Metal XMas and a Headbanging New Year

This is a fun Christmas album. All songs are metal versions of XMas classics with JSS, Ripper Owens, RJD, Geoff Tate, Oni Logan, Chuck Billy, Doug Pinnick and many others lending their voices to this project. Chuck Billy goes Demonic style with his death metal vocals on "Silent Night", which is very strange but cool at the same time. There's some shredding guitar all of this cd too. This is what families should be playing on the morning of December 25th.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Rain - 'License to thrill' ; I'm liking this. Great sound, another nice full and juicy production job. If you like the whole glam/sleaze/commercial hard rock sound from the 80's this is another good one for the collection.

I picked up Black Rain's ep a litttle while back. Pretty good.

Have been meaning to pick up the album, but haven't got around to it yet.

That one was a good disc. Good musicianship, production and songs. The only thing really missing was a few really good hooks. The vocals were a little bit back in the mix and the choruses just didn't have the power I was hoping for. BUT, that said, it was the best of those 3 CDs I mentioned above. It was still very good... just could have been a real gem.

• My Little Pony

Sly - S/T

Just got through this today. I won it from Koogs last week, but had a lot of other stuff to get through - girly, wimpy stuff, right Geoff? Sly is a great album. I didn't know what to expect. I'd never heard of them, I just placed a bid on a bunch of Koogels' items that no one else had bid on, and this was one I won. At first I was blown away by how heavy they are. Not that it is very heavy, but, as I said, I didn't now what to expect and the volume was loud. It wasn't 'til the second song that I figured out these guys actually are Japanese - not just a Japanese release. As the disc went on I started recognizing the voice. At first I thought maybe the Japanese sound similar, but then I checked the booklet, and I discovered Minoru Niihara is the man behind the mic. Track three had just begun by now and I truly was not prepared for this. "I Spend My Life Just Loving You" is an epic track. I think that's the best way to describe it - epic. I don't even know how to properly describe it. So I won't. Let me tell you, this is my favourite CD I've bought on a whim. I listened to "I Spend My Life Just Loving You" four times today, and I believe the album is worth the money simply for that tune alone. If you can find it, buy it. It's the best thing I've stumbled upon in a long time.

Eagles - long road out of eden

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

Ive only heard the first disc so far and the entire thing blends into one. Please someone tell me there is at least one rock song on the 2nd disc!!

The only songs i like are sung by Schmidt(sp?) and thats cos i like his voice, and not the actual song. (Btw, what are his solo albums like... anyone?)

The studio songs off Hell freezes over blow this away so far.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

Ive only heard the first disc so far and the entire thing blends into one. Please someone tell me there is at least one rock song on the 2nd disc!!

The only songs i like are sung by Schmidt(sp?) and thats cos i like his voice, and not the actual song. (Btw, what are his solo albums like... anyone?)

Can you really blame anyone but yourself though??? You do realise you're listening to an Eagles CD? If you want to hear rock why don't you buy a rock CD? Just a thought mate.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

Can you really blame anyone but yourself though??? You do realise you're listening to an Eagles CD? If you want to hear rock why don't you buy a rock CD? Just a thought mate.

Have you ever listened to an Eagles cd???

Go listen to Hotel California album and theyll teach you something about a real rock album..

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

Go listen to Hotel California album and theyll teach you something about a real rock album..

I have both Eagles Greatest hits cds vol I and II in my collection.

It's been ages since I've listened to them but it was always a solid cd to throw on when people were hanging out partying since it was music most people know.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

I have both Eagles Greatest hits cds vol I and II in my collection.

It's been ages since I've listened to them but it was always a solid cd to throw on when people were hanging out partying since it was music most people know.

I hate people who only own the greatest hits of an artist! Poser!

Sammy Hagar-Cosmic Universal Fashion

This is horrible IMO. This guy usually don't let me down but this is extremely dissapointing.

The best song is "Peephole" that had been recorded by Soul Sirkus. There's a few others that are okay.

Since Sammy left VH the first time he had made about 4 really good cds in a row but the last two aren't as good.

He seems to not know what direction he wants to go in. What is the point of doing a cover of "Fight for your Right to Party"?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

This DOES NOT rock!

They're my mate's dad's favourite band. I've heard far more than enough to form an opinion that they suck. :)

Nah, to each their own, but they do zilch for me.

Jimi Jamison - Crossroads Moment

Recent Murmurings have suggested that this is basically Pride Of Lions with Jamison on vocals, which in part is true, but there is also more of a Survivor vibe on this one, as you would expect really with Peterik and Jamison together.

When I saw that this disc had 14 tracks on it, I was a little worried, as it takes some song writing to come up with 14 excellent tracks on one disc, as has been proven in the past. Usually it ends up with 7 or 8 good tracks and a load of filler. So when I open this baby up and discover that they have also added a 15th bonus track, the alarm beels really did start ringing. On the whole, this just about gets away with it, although I think it could have been slimmed down to a 12 tracker, as there is some filler one here it has to be said. When it is good, it is very good as in 'Crossroads Moment' which is a superb Survivor style track with some ace 80's style keys in the chorus. Some of the tracks do stray into the 'Dramatic' Pride Of Lions territory, as witnessed especially on the last POL disc, which to be honest, didn't work for me on that album and still don't on this one. I have seen some reviews hailing this to be a 'Masterpiece', 'The best AOR album of the last 10 years', 'Classic' etc etc. All I will say is that some people are easily pleased as It isn't close to any of those descriptions at all, but certainly is a consistent AOR disc, beautifully played and produced, that for some familiar with this type of stuff will like, and others won't.

Sammy Hagar-Cosmic Universal Fashion

This is horrible IMO. This guy usually don't let me down but this is extremely dissapointing.

The best song is "Peephole" that had been recorded by Soul Sirkus. There's a few others that are okay.

Since Sammy left VH the first time he had made about 4 really good cds in a row but the last two aren't as good.

He seems to not know what direction he wants to go in. What is the point of doing a cover of "Fight for your Right to Party"?

This horrible song was released on Baghdad Heavy Metal in 2007 and the whole album sucks big time. Major disappointment. He can do so much better. Check it out here

HINDER-TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT...man I guess they did..

Who'd of thunked it...that these guys would be releasing a killer Sleazish/Hard Rock

album that Kicks...I picked this up for my Wife and was really blown away by what I heard..

so much so I haven't given her the CD..LOL!! Great Songs, Great Music and some Killer

Solos...only thing is there seems to be a few more ballads than I woulda like to hear..

but Really,I can't complain cause there pretty good.

Who'd of thunked it...that these guys would be releasing a killer Sleazish/Hard Rock

album that Kicks...I picked this up for my Wife and was really blown away by what I heard..

so much so I haven't given her the CD..LOL!! Great Songs, Great Music and some Killer

Solos...only thing is there seems to be a few more ballads than I woulda like to hear..

You're a good man. I had a feeling you might dig this one. The number of ballads seems to be the only real drawback anyone can throw at this thing (apart from freaky Tim (2) who just hates everything :P ) but as you and the rest of us have said, when they're that excellent how can you fault them???

The Rasmus - dead letters

Nice album... however im gonna agree with Geoff.. this band lacks balls, fire, passion etc. It all feels a bit... empty? How does this band make it big, when similar related (loosely) bands such as Carmen Gray, Lovex, Private Line havnt, even though they are superior?

The number of ballads seems to be the only real drawback anyone can throw at this thing (apart from freaky Tim (2) who just hates everything :P )

I said it was better than their first album, that was positive... :)

Sly - S/T

Just got through this today. I won it from Koogs last week, but had a lot of other stuff to get through - girly, wimpy stuff, right Geoff? Sly is a great album. I didn't know what to expect. I'd never heard of them, I just placed a bid on a bunch of Koogels' items that no one else had bid on, and this was one I won. At first I was blown away by how heavy they are. Not that it is very heavy, but, as I said, I didn't now what to expect and the volume was loud. It wasn't 'til the second song that I figured out these guys actually are Japanese - not just a Japanese release. As the disc went on I started recognizing the voice. At first I thought maybe the Japanese sound similar, but then I checked the booklet, and I discovered Minoru Niihara is the man behind the mic. Track three had just begun by now and I truly was not prepared for this. "I Spend My Life Just Loving You" is an epic track. I think that's the best way to describe it - epic. I don't even know how to properly describe it. So I won't. Let me tell you, this is my favourite CD I've bought on a whim. I listened to "I Spend My Life Just Loving You" four times today, and I believe the album is worth the money simply for that tune alone. If you can find it, buy it. It's the best thing I've stumbled upon in a long time.

SLY Kick ass...I have this and another release..both are great!! :banger:

Towers of London - BLOOD SWEAT & TOWERS

Wes tipped me to this band knowing that I like me an occasional slab of punk rock ... and he picked me a winner cuz these Brits kick some "arse!" Sounds kinda like the Sex Pistols and Motorhead walked into the Whisky-A-Go-Go and started a bar fight with L.A. Guns. The vocalist has the most endearing Brit-accented snarl I've heard since Johnny Rotten. Fave tracks thus far: "Kill the Pop Scene," "Beaujolais," "King," and "How Rude She Was." This is the kinda band that makes you want to get drunk and punch somebody. Good stuff, Wes.

X-Sinner - WORLD COVERED IN BLOOD

I've been looking forward to this one for a while but the final product is rather disappointing. As usual, the guitar work is excellent (even though it's all ripped from the AC/DC songbook) but vocalist Rex Scott sounds (if you'll excuse the religious punnery) God-awful throughout most of this CD. If he's not squawking out high notes that he's no longer capable of hitting at his age, he's trying to imitate the phleghm-filled sleaze-rock snarl of that Dirty Looks guy (Henry Roosterguarder or whatever the hell his name is), either way it sounds like he's forcing it. The production is cheap and the songs just kinda sit there, with no hooks to grab the listener. If this is the best they could come up with after seventeen years (!) maybe they should've just stayed retired. :(

Towers of London - BLOOD SWEAT & TOWERS

Wes tipped me to this band knowing that I like me an occasional slab of punk rock ... and he picked me a winner cuz these Brits kick some "arse!" Sounds kinda like the Sex Pistols and Motorhead walked into the Whisky-A-Go-Go and started a bar fight with L.A. Guns. The vocalist has the most endearing Brit-accented snarl I've heard since Johnny Rotten. Fave tracks thus far: "Kill the Pop Scene," "Beaujolais," "King," and "How Rude She Was." This is the kinda band that makes you want to get drunk and punch somebody. Good stuff, Wes.

I figured you'd like these guys and I totally agree with your opinion on their sound although I hear a little Ramones in there as well. :tumbsup:

This is the kinda band that makes you want to get drunk and punch somebody

:lol:

I figured you'd like these guys and I totally agree with your opinion on their sound although I hear a little Ramones in there as well. :tumbsup:

True, but the British accents make me think "Sex Pistols" more than "Ramones." Same diff tho. :lol:

Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy

Finally after 10 years in the making I hear these songs.

If you're looking for Appetite for Destruction look elsewhere because if one thing is obvious from first listen Axl has moved on from their early Sleaze Rock sound. But if you're open minded and enjoyed the adventerous nature of the Use Your Illusion releases then you might enjoy this one.

While there's much more techno beats and industrial guitars than I'd prefer there are some stunning songs on this release. "Better", "I.R.S.", "Madagascar", "Shackler's Revenge", "Chinese Democracy", "Street of Dreams", "If the World", "There was a Time", "Scraped", "Prostitute" and "Rhiad and the Bedouins" are all songs I'm digging with only "This I Love" being the only tune I didn't care for so far.

• 2 weeks later...

July For Kings - 'Nostalgia' ; had no idea these guys had released anything after their pretty cool debut, 'Swim', which I think is back from 2002. However, stumbled across this disc from 2005. It's pretty average overall, kind of what you'd expect from them. Matchbox 20 flavoured rock with one wonderful highlight - the second song is just great.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Candlemass - Lucifer Rising

Screw this ! Robert Lowe's vox on the re-recorded versions of 'Solitude' & 'At The Gallows End' on the last C'mass studio record were pretty strong...but after hearing him do the classic stuff live on this disc especially tunes like 'Under The Oak' and 'Mirror Mirror' this ain't happening for me at all.F**k no not at all...Nobody does the Messiah Marcolin stuff like Marcolin can..even at his bloated worst he was pulling off these songs with ease...and i personally like Messiah's vocal control,chest voice and vibrato alot better on these songs...

Mad Max - here we are

Ok, its got Voss.. so its gotta be good.... but... this aint Mad Max! This doesnt have anything in commen with the past few AWESOME melodic metal style Mad Max albums. This is just a standard VOss album that couldve come out under Casanova or the other one and noone would have noticed. I just got bored towards the end...

House Of Lords - Anthology

When I first heard this was coming out, I expected the usual 'Best Of..' blah blah blah, but to my pleasant surprise, this is chock full of unreleased demos from 88-90 (very good quality soundwise I may add) 4 live cuts from 1988 and 2 new re-makes of 'Wanna Be Loved' and 'Can't Find My Way Home'. There are some real belters on here amongst the unreleased stuff, including the excellent 'The Legend Lives On' and 'Hero's Song' aswell as 'Dangerous Woman', Hold Back The Night', and 'Chains Of Love' Produced by the late great John Purdell.

The live tracks are ok, but this would have been alot better if they had continued with the unreleased stuff, as There is more stuff around, I have anothr disc of 5 or 6 demos that could have been added and would have made this an absolute killer disc. As it is though, it is still very much worth investing in.

Full Tracklisting.

1. Wanna Be Loved (Exclusive Track)

2. Can't Find My Way Home (Exclusive Track)

3. Dangerous Woman (Demo)

4. Hold Back The Night (Demo)

5. Chains Of Love (Demo)

6. The Legend Lives On (Demo)

7. Sahara (Demo)

8. Hero's Song (Demo)

9. Kiss Of Fire (Demo)

10. Bad Bones (Demo)

11. Beyond The Pale (Demo)

12. Looking For Strange (Live)

13. Edge Of Your Life (Live)

14. Lanny's Solo (Live)