First Spin Impressions

JustJason

SEPULTURA - A-Lex

So, ever wondered what a Sepultura album without either Cavalera brother would sound like? Total shit is the answer. I quite liked "Dante XXI" (their last album), in fact it's a cool thrashy disc. This is harcore/punk with no thrash in it whatsoever, & it just sounds so raw it's almost unlistenable. Green's vocals are good, as ever, but this just utterly pales against the Soulfly & even the Cavalera Conspiracy discs. Hope the new Kreator isn't this much of a letdown....

Just listened to my advance copy of A-LEX yesterday and wasn't terribly impressed either. It just sounds like a wall of random thrash riffs glued together. I was bummed cuz I love the idea that it's a concept album based on "A Clockwork Orange," which was a favorite book and film of mine during my college days.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuclear Assault - THIRD WORLD GENOCIDE (2005)

This album got pretty savage reviews when it was first released a few years back, but I didn't think it was that bad. It's certainly not as intense as their classic late 80s material but it's not as lifeless as, say, 1991's OUT OF ORDER album either. THIRD WORLD GENOCIDE has its moments like the catchy single/video "Price of Freedom" and the goofy joke song "Long Haired Asshole." I suppose I can be more charitable than most folks simply because I got this disc in a trade, therefore I didn't pay anything for it. :) If I'd laid out fifteen bucks when it was a new release, I probably wouldn't have been terribly thrilled either.

Saint - THE MARK (2006)

Josh Kramer and the boys tromp through another apocalypse-themed Christian metal album that owes a lot to the vintage Judas Priest sound. This is the fourth or fifth Saint album I've heard now and most of them sound like a long-lost Priest album that could've come in between BRITISH STEEL and POINT OF ENTRY.

Paradox - HERESY (1989)

Wow! Where has this album been all my life? These Germans take the melodic speed metal sound pioneered by Helloween (circa WALLS OF JERICHO) and mesh it with the thrash crunch of the first couple of Metallica records. Surprised to see that this one was released by Roadrunner Records and not Noise. Damn good stuff!

Saint - THE MARK (2006)

Josh Kramer and the boys tromp through another apocalypse-themed Christian metal album that owes a lot the vintage Judas Priest sound. This is the fourth or fifth Saint album I've heard now and most of them sound like a long-lost Priest album that could've come in between BRITISH STEEL and POINT OF ENTRY.

Paradox - HERESY (1989)

Wow! Where has this album been all my life? These Germans take the melodic speed metal sound pioneered by Helloween (circa WALLS OF JERICHO) and mesh it with the thrash crunch of the first couple of Metallica records. Surprised to see that this one was released by Roadrunner Records and not Noise. Damn good stuff!

Both great albums. Glad you dig the Paradox, Keith! :banana:

Glad you dig the Paradox, Keith! :banana:

Ya, it's a good'n. One of those "lost classics" for sure! :beerbang:

Just finished:

Paragon - REVENGE (2005)

Strictly average, by-the-book German power metal. I used to love this kind of stuff in the late 90s but the scene has become so stagnant and overpopulated (how many bands do we really need that sing about swords, dragons, magic rings, fighting for true metal, yadda yadda yadda?) by now that it's become tough to find a "new" power metal band that doesn't inspire yawns. There's nothing terribly WRONG with Paragon, it's just that we've heard this all before on countless albums by Manowar, Iron Savior, HammerFall, Grave Digger, Iron Fire, Squealer, Steel Attack, and the list could go on forever.

Glad you dig the Paradox, Keith! :banana:

Ya, it's a good'n. One of those "lost classics" for sure! :beerbang:

Just finished:

Paragon - REVENGE (2005)

Strictly average, by-the-book German power metal. I used to love this kind of stuff in the late 90s but the scene has become so stagnant and overpopulated (how many bands do we really need that sing about swords, dragons, magic rings, fighting for true metal, yadda yadda yadda?) by now that it's become tough to find a "new" power metal band that doesn't inspire yawns. There's nothing terribly WRONG with Paragon, it's just that we've heard this all before on countless albums by Manowar, Iron Savior, HammerFall, Grave Digger, Iron Fire, Squealer, Steel Attack, and the list could go on forever.

Forsooth traitor, the gods of metal will be calling home your betrayer's soul!!! :headbanger:

Seether - Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

This fuckin' rocks! Modern, driving, and again with the big hooks, reminds me of all the things I like about the Shinedown but heavier.

That's one that lasted about 3 spins with me before I binned it. I'd heard good things about it but I just didn't get it at all - not even a single song - & couldn't even be bothered to put it on eBay. :(

I never even bothered with that one to be honest, and I have no desire to try it. :(

I'm going to invade threads on all these bands when I get up to date, but some quick one liners on what I've heard since my return to civilization:

Hope - 'All of my days' ; aside from being unable to shake a slight country vibe I swore I could detect, this is actually a really good slab of melodic rock. Great vocals and really strong songs. I wonder if this has been talked about here.

Frank Vestry - 'Different sides' ; yum! Love this guy's voice. A bit more mellow/varied than the Marcello/Vestry disc, but very nice anyway.

Cold Steel - s/t ; good solid heavy rock CD. Reminds me of a few bands, like Dirty Deeds. Good stuff.

Lost Weekend - 'Fear and Innocence' ; pure garbage. Tired, painful drivel. These guys really should have given up after 'Presence of mind'.

Vengeance - 'Soul collector' ; Loved the ballad around track 5, but the rest was really average hard rock. I won't bother spinning again.

Last Autumn's Dream - 'Dreamcatcher' ; Not another freakin' one?! Sadly, this is the same as the rest. A few nice songs towards the end, but man these guys are tiring and samey.

Thomas Godoj - 'Plan A!' ; Who, you ask? Bernd may know, but this guy was the winner of German Idol and you can quote me on this - this is BY FAR the best CD of this bunch. If you like Daughty, David Cook, Bo Bice etc. you need to hear this. It is an Idol winner's CD and sounds like one, but it's an excellent one. Really emotive melodic rock songs, and very consistent. His voice is "that" voice - sounds just like all those Finnish bands, and that first German Idol Thomas Nillson guy, but the songs are just great.

Got another smaller batch of new spins:

Pleasure Maker - 'Twisted Desire' ; I hate to say it as their heart is so clearly in the right place, but this is not a very musically adequate band and it really shows. The songs are good, but the production and musicianship is weak and does bring this down a bit. So many songs and hooks and choruses that go begging on this due to a weak delivery. It's s shame. To hear this done well - same songs - would have made for a good disc.

Remedy - s/t ; HOLY F*CK! Worst I've heard so far by miles! Awful Led Zeppelin sounding band. Turned it off after the third track. Horrid.

Eric Martin - 'Mr Vocalist' ; will I ever listen to it again? 95% chance that no, but as I cooked dinner last night this was not a bad slice of mellow ballad music to have in the background. Seriously, nice enough disc, but just really, really mellow.

Hard Charlie - 'Ridin' Hard Livin' Free' ; big thanks to Wes for the hook-up and my word yes, I can hear the D2, and also Mattador, comparisons. They're a lot more bluesy and less hook-orientated than D2 but I do love that last song; the ballad.

• My Little Pony

Extreme - Saudades de Rock

Finally got around to this album, why it took this long is beyond me. Most of you gave it a bad review, but I'm gonna have to go against the grain, yet again. I'm really digging this one. Maybe it's easier for me to enjoy because I love all of Nuno's other projects. This may be a bit more of a harder Dramagods album, but I love it for what it is, not what I thought it should be. Then again, it has been proven that I am more accepting of different music genres.

Saxon - Into The Labyrinth

Well have given this a good few spins now and I am pleased to report that this is a belter. Nice to hear them updating their sound slightly and incorporating a bit of power metal stuff, along with some nice keys a little more up in the mix than on past releases. I thought Nightwish had entered the building at the beginning of the excellent 'Battalions Of Steel'. There are a couple of fillers on board, namely 'Hellcat' which is a bit metal by numbers and 'Coming Home (Bottleneck Version) isn't that great compared to the original version on the excellent 'Killing Ground' disc, but otherwise, this is Biff and the boys in fine form yet again (when was the last time this band made a bad album?)

Saxon - Into The Labyrinth

Well have given this a good few spins now and I am pleased to report that this is a belter. Nice to hear them updating their sound slightly and incorporating a bit of power metal stuff, along with some nice keys a little more up in the mix than on past releases. I thought Nightwish had entered the building at the beginning of the excellent 'Battalions Of Steel'. There are a couple of fillers on board, namely 'Hellcat' which is a bit metal by numbers and 'Coming Home (Bottleneck Version) isn't that great compared to the original version on the excellent 'Killing Ground' disc, but otherwise, this is Biff and the boys in fine form yet again (when was the last time this band made a bad album?)

Can't wait to get this one in the mail next week. :tumbsup:

Carmen Gray - Welcome To Gray Land

Just one listen so far and I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with 'Portrait'. To me 'Portrait' seemed to have a better mix of rockers and low tempo mellow tracks, whereas I though "Gray Land' is almost compeltely low tempo mellow tracks.

Just one listen so far and I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with 'Portrait'. To me 'Portrait' seemed to have a better mix of rockers and low tempo mellow tracks, whereas I though "Grayu Land' is almost compeltely low tempo mellow tracks.

Backed - I just got the Jap version with 3 bonus tracks, which 2 are great rock tunes and improve the tempo of the disc alot.

Just one listen so far and I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was with 'Portrait'. To me 'Portrait' seemed to have a better mix of rockers and low tempo mellow tracks, whereas I though "Grayu Land' is almost compeltely low tempo mellow tracks.

Backed - I just got the Jap version with 3 bonus tracks, which 2 are great rock tunes and improve the tempo of the disc alot.

I'd like that Jap version, but with the Aussie dollar at a shitty low level again (and apparently going to go lower) pricey discs (like Jap imports) are off the menu for the moment.

I wonder why the left off the more up-tempo tracks on the regular version?

I'd like that Jap version, but with the Aussie dollar at a shitty low level again (and apparently going to go lower) pricey discs (like Jap imports) are off the menu for the moment.

The start of the disc rocks pretty hard doesn't it? But yeah, then I think it does die down a bit.

They should have left them on, as they are just about the best songs on the whole disc.

Heaven's Basement - Heaven's Basement EP.

Roadstar under a new moniker (+ new extra guitarist) and this pretty much carries on where the fantastic 'Glass Mountain' left off. Only a 6 tracker, but quality songs all the way, especially the mega rocking 'Executioners Song' & 'Saint Routine'. These boys produce a hell of a good noise and really are one of the best bands of their type around. Head over to http://www.heavensbasement.com/ for details.

Snag a copy pronto, because this will probably be like the 2 Roadstar cd's, that after a few months, were not easy to get hold of and now go for silly prices. Truly EXCELLENT.

Roadstar under a new moniker (+ new extra guitarist) and this pretty much carries on where the fantastic 'Glass Mountain' left off. Only a 6 tracker, but quality songs all the way, especially the mega rocking 'Executioners Song' & 'Saint Routine'. These boys produce a hell of a good noise and really are one of the best bands of their type around. Head over to http://www.heavensbasement.com/ for details.

Snag a copy pronto, because this will probably be like the 2 Roadstar cd's, that after a few months, were not easy to get hold of and now go for silly prices. Truly EXCELLENT.

Oh I need to order that one this weekend. :headbanger:

Oh I need to order that one this weekend. :headbanger:

Yes you do! Very excellent. :headbanger:

DELIVERANCE: "Deliverance" (reissue)

Long considered a Christian thrash/speed-metal classic, and deservedly so. While I prefer the songwriting on their follow-up, "Weapons of our Warfare," it really comes down to a personal taste sort of thing, because both albums are fairly similar, chock full of furious riffs, soaring vocals, and the kind of super-blatant Christian lyrics that make Geoff vomit. Have to mention the remastering job on this reissue, which is among the best I've ever heard.

the kind of super-blatant Christian lyrics that make Geoff vomit.

:rofl:

Have to mention the remastering job on this reissue, which is among the best I've ever heard.

Damn straight. It was always a great album but the remastering jacks up the volume levels into the red so it sounds frickin MONSTROUS now!

Thanks to Brother Keith for the hook-up with this one. Been dying to hear it for years:

Dirty Looks - 'Bootlegs' ; I really liked this. I still enjoy Dirty Looks today, but man when you hear stuff like this, they just don't compete with their vintage sound, to be completely honest. Songs like 'Dude, Where's The Money', 'Fade Away', 'In Black & White' and 'Fool For You' are all instant classic Dirty Looks tracks, imo. Truly loved them all. Of the rest, 'Fang and the Love Pig' was a bit of a filler, 'Loveless' is probably a bit better than the version that ended up on 'One Bad Leg', I think 'Only tomorrow' is better than the other version too but 'The Last Forever' sounded much better on 'Five Easy Peices'. Great disc overall.

Thanks to Brother Keith for the hook-up with this one. Been dying to hear it for years:

Dirty Looks - 'Bootlegs' ; I really liked this. I still enjoy Dirty Looks today, but man when you hear stuff like this, they just don't compete with their vintage sound, to be completely honest. Songs like 'Dude, Where's The Money', 'Fade Away', 'In Black & White' and 'Fool For You' are all instant classic Dirty Looks tracks, imo. Truly loved them all. Of the rest, 'Fang and the Love Pig' was a bit of a filler, 'Loveless' is probably a bit better than the version that ended up on 'One Bad Leg', I think 'Only tomorrow' is better than the other version too but 'The Last Forever' sounded much better on 'Five Easy Peices'. Great disc overall.

Glad you dug it, G. :tumbsup:

I got this one about a week ago and finally gav eit a listen. A very solid ep.

Bordering on Punk'n'Roll (Backyard Babies), but not really, with a bit of ACDC classic rock thrown in. They've definitely got that sleazy, dirty rock sound flowing.

Marcello/Vestry - s/t

If you love Danger Danger then you'll love this. While my after my first spin I wasn't very impressed, after the 2nd spin I liked it much more. A very high quality melodic rock cd with a few great songs.

Blind Date - s/t

Sorry Geoff but this is Hair Metal by the numbers. Yes there's some very good songs and they're played just fine but there's many other bands that have done this better but I still would rather listen to this this most Modern Rock bands.

So a good cd but not a great one IMO.

Saxon - Into the Labyrinth

Not as good(on the first spin)as the might Lionheart release but still a damn good rocking Metal album by one of the Classic bands of the genre. Highly recommended to all Metal fans.

Helstar - The King of Hell

The heaviest thing they've ever done with James screaming like a banshee over the top. If you love Metal you'll love this if you don't you won't.

Leatherwolf - S/T & Street Ready

I love both of these, great singing with great solos and great songs on the Melodic side of Metal. I prefer the Street Ready release but both are great IMO.