First Spin Impressions

JustJason

JSS - Beautiful Mess

Wow I didn't expect this. A complete transition to soul/funk & a sound that's very different to his last 2 solo discs. Definitely approach this with caution as, whereas he can still sing he is singing in a much lower register than previously & the material is nowhere near as catchy/hooky as "Prism" or "Lost in the Translation". I like the ballads on here, but I'm just not a fan of the funky tunes at all. I'd hoped this would be like TALISMAN 7, i.e, soulful & funky but still with enough guitar & hooky choruses to keep the average MHR fan interested, but this is a million miles from that last TALISMAN album IMO. Bring on the WET album (Talisman/Work of Art/Eclipse) & hope it's better than this...

Ouch.........heathen! I dont like you anymore LOL!!!!

Come on man, this album is awesome.

Takes a few spins to get into....but seriously I love this thing.

Hey ho, to each their own.

Well I got it the same day I got PLACE VENDOME, but have been spinning that thing so much I only just got round to playing this one. I will stick with it, but would be amazed if I end up liking this as much as the TALISMAN 7 album. I might get stoned for this, but even his vocals don't seem anywhere near as good as on previous albums... :whistle:

Wow, I dont get that comment at all? I mean he's never sounded better than on 'Gin & Tonic Sky' or 'Cry Me A River'.....awesome tunes. Great voice. Period.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JSS - Beautiful Mess

Wow I didn't expect this. A complete transition to soul/funk & a sound that's very different to his last 2 solo discs. Definitely approach this with caution as, whereas he can still sing he is singing in a much lower register than previously & the material is nowhere near as catchy/hooky as "Prism" or "Lost in the Translation". I like the ballads on here, but I'm just not a fan of the funky tunes at all. I'd hoped this would be like TALISMAN 7, i.e, soulful & funky but still with enough guitar & hooky choruses to keep the average MHR fan interested, but this is a million miles from that last TALISMAN album IMO. Bring on the WET album (Talisman/Work of Art/Eclipse) & hope it's better than this...

Well I got it the same day I got PLACE VENDOME, but have been spinning that thing so much I only just got round to playing this one. I will stick with it, but would be amazed if I end up liking this as much as the TALISMAN 7 album. I might get stoned for this, but even his vocals don't seem anywhere near as good as on previous albums... :whistle:

Wow, I dont get that comment at all? I mean he's never sounded better than on 'Gin & Tonic Sky' or 'Cry Me A River'.....awesome tunes. Great voice. Period.

:lol: Go Tim!!! I forget what I said about it last year, but I cast this album aside after only the second spin, I think. There was a nice song... maybe even two of them, but overall it was very pale compared to his last couple of great discs. Already forgotten to me. :lol:

YaYa - 'II' ; only decent AOR to me. I liked a couple of songs (there were more I didn't like) but this sounded like a cross between Journey and Toto to me... which is not a good mix. Doubt I'll spin it again.

Neon Cross - s/t ; at 16 tracks this is just way too long. Cut it down to 10 tracks (cutting out those awful high wailing screaming tracks) and you'd have a decent album of highly charged hard rockers. Seriously, some cool tracks but a lot of wasted tracks too. Awful lyrics too. The one where they're "mocking" non-believers is f*cking insane. It made me want to stab them with sympathy. :lol:

JSS - Beautiful Mess

:lol: Go Tim!!! I forget what I said about it last year, but I cast this album aside after only the second spin, I think. There was a nice song... maybe even two of them, but overall it was very pale compared to his last couple of great discs. Already forgotten to me. :lol:

dick. :nyanya:

JSS - Beautiful Mess

YaYa - 'II' ; only decent AOR to me. I liked a couple of songs (there were more I didn't like) but this sounded like a cross between Journey and Toto to me... which is not a good mix. Doubt I'll spin it again.

Only decent you say? Journey and Toto you say? Way off the mark I say!! ;):yikes:

JSS - Beautiful Mess

Only decent you say? Journey and Toto you say? Way off the mark I say!! ;):yikes:

A couple of songs had a super Journey vibe and the guy's voice definitely has a Perry scent to it. They also had some cool melodic rock verses completely ruined by one of those poofter-style Toto choruses about 5 times on the album - the real fidgety awkward AOR-type of choruses. :puke: So, now that we've got me being right - again - out of the way, let's continue with the rest of the day then. ;)

JSS - Beautiful Mess

A couple of songs had a super Journey vibe and the guy's voice definitely has a Perry scent to it. They also had some cool melodic rock verses completely ruined by one of those poofter-style Toto choruses about 5 times on the album - the real fidgety awkward AOR-type of choruses. :puke: So, now that we've got me being right - again - out of the way, let's continue with the rest of the day then. ;)

If you say so, you strange eared creature. ;)

JSS - Beautiful Mess

dick. :nyanya:

Sure he's got a great voice, I'd never deny that, I've seen him live in a small venue & he was unbelievable. But he sings in a much lower register on this material & he just doesn't get to show his range. I played it again this morning & it continued to do nothing for me at all....

Vanadium - 'Seventh Heaven'; after seeing the price this one has fetched from our very own Andre I just had to hear it. Verdict is, it's pretty damn good. Good solid uptempo melodic hard rock. As a non-fan of keys, I liked them on this disc and the songs were generally pretty strong, minus a few hiccups and the best was definitely at the start of the disc. Only real complaint, I guess, would be the occasional female backing vocals. Otherwise, a very good disc which I'd love to have a proper CDR of (the one I have is ripped from an LP).

CATTLE DECAPITATION - The Harvest Floor

Some of this modern Deathcore stuff is killer, a lot of it is total shit. This one was recommended to me as one of the heaviest bands around, but using sweep-pick runs instead of riffs does not a heavy album make. Nor do a lot of blastbeats and some pig-squealing vocals. The art of the riff is dead these days & it makes every song sound exactly the same, despite the tight musicianship. NAPALM DEATH, HATE ETERNAL & CANNIBAL CORPSE rule at this stuff because they write simple songs with hooks/riffs/choruses, but stuff like this is mind-numbing & fucking dull to listen to.

Some of this modern Deathcore stuff is killer, a lot of it is total shit. This one was recommended to me as one of the heaviest bands around, but using sweep-pick runs instead of riffs does not a heavy album make. Nor do a lot of blastbeats and some pig-squealing vocals. The art of the riff is dead these days & it makes every song sound exactly the same, despite the tight musicianship. NAPALM DEATH, HATE ETERNAL & CANNIBAL CORPSE rule at this stuff because they write simple songs with hooks/riffs/choruses, but stuff like this is mind-numbing & fucking dull to listen to.

A band called Cattle Decapitation suck? Who'd have guessed it?! :P

GOD FORBID - Earthsblood

Melodic thrash/metal with a killer production, but just not enough power or aggression for my liking. It's decent/catchy stuff, that fans of Shadows Fall/Sanctity should like, & "Walk Alone" is a colossal melodic tune - almost worth the entry price alone - but the slightly ropey clean vocals & the lack of power really kill this one for me.

A band called Cattle Decapitation suck? Who'd have guessed it?! :P

:lol:

This is the band that's on Metal Blad Records, right?

I'd always read alot about them in Metal Maniacs as being one of the great new Metal bands but the name and the one song I heard on a compilation was enough to almost make me puke. Not my cup of tea at all.

I'd always read alot about them in Metal Maniacs as being one of the great new Metal bands but the name and the one song I heard on a compilation was enough to almost make me puke. Not my cup of tea at all.

The band members are all hardcore vegetarians/animal rights activists ... one of their album covers depicts a cow crapping out a bunch of human remains. :puke: Funny but not my style either.

GOD FORBID - Earthsblood

Melodic thrash/metal with a killer production, but just not enough power or aggression for my liking. It's decent/catchy stuff, that fans of Shadows Fall/Sanctity should like, & "Walk Alone" is a colossal melodic tune - almost worth the entry price alone - but the slightly ropey clean vocals & the lack of power really kill this one for me.

You know what they say--one man's trash is another man's treasure. As Tim will verify, I am a "lite thrash" fan, and this stuff is right up my alley. Just checked out a couple of samples and immediately added them to my never-ending to-buy list. Thanks for the "recommendation," Tim!

Got a few new discs I spun over the weekend:

Negative - 'Love and war' ; honestly was not expecting too much from this, but this was really good. I would have to say that at this point it is my favourite Negative disc. Awesome melodic hard rock.

Negative - 'Sweet and Deceitful' ; A lot more polished and "safer" than the debut. This is nice, especially the excellent last two songs, but their debut set them aside from other Finnish bands whereas this one sounds like the rest of them. Don't get me wrong; it's good. But I prefer when they rock harder.

Nagative - 'Karma Killer' ; ... like this. Good return to the harder rocking sound of the debut. I really dug this disc. Ballsy, solid in your face hard rock. Great disc.

Oney - 'Good guys wear black' ; Whilst it doesn't take a genius to see why these guys never really "made it", they're not too bad. Very basic songs but some cool riffs and nothing at all here to turn your nose up at. Only issue I had was too many of the songs clocking in at over 5mins, or close. For the style of songs these guys wrote, they should easily be done around the 3 minute mark.

Push..............4 The Love of The Game

Okay but sounds like rather average rock to these ears....

Love that band. That album struggled with production from memory, but if you look through it it rocks.

Agreed. Production is thin as hell and the best song is the remake of 'Waiting in the line' (though 'Lucky man' rules too) but I have to admit I like this band a lot, and really quite like this disc. IMO, better than both MPG discs.

The band members are all hardcore vegetarians/animal rights activists ... one of their album covers depicts a cow crapping out a bunch of human remains. :puke: Funny but not my style either.

Yeah that's them. They are seriously tight, the rhythm section is ferocious, but they have not the faintest idea how to write decent songs or hooks that differentiate the songs. Playing one song is great as they sound HUGE and tight, but a whole album? ZZZzzzz..... BENEATH THE MASSACRE and DESPISED ICON do this extreme stuff way better.

GOD FORBID - Earthsblood

You know what they say--one man's trash is another man's treasure. As Tim will verify, I am a "lite thrash" fan, and this stuff is right up my alley. Just checked out a couple of samples and immediately added them to my never-ending to-buy list. Thanks for the "recommendation," Tim!

Thought you might be put off by the vocals.... Yeah I kinda thought it was okay, though I'm still just listening to Lamb of God and not much else at the moment! I did love "Walk Alone" though - killer tune....

ANTHRAX - Worship Music (3 track advance)

Tracklist:-

"Down Goes the Sun"

"Face With No Name"

"The Devil You Know"

As a teaser for the new album this is very exciting stuff. All focus will be on the new singer & he's seriously talented, not exactly having the range of Belladonna but he's way more suited to this material. He's every bit as good as the ultra-talented John Bush too. The material is heavy & a bit progressive (the first song is about 7 minutes), & probably sounds even beefier & definitely thrashier than "We've Come For You All". Again they sound very consistent, there's not a wasted second on any of these 3 songs, though my personal taste dictates that I'd still rather they were heavier still (I'm still looking forward to the new Exodus more than this) but I think a lot of fans will love this new CD... :banger: