Cricket !

Wotty

48 minutes ago, auslander said:

NSW is starting to open up but they shouldn't play any games in WA or SA as they are run by nutjob dictators. I want them to run games at the MCG cause it will be funny to see an empty stadium if Andrews can still have the place locked down by then. All the Labor premiers are embarrassing tools.

100%

On 10/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, Geoff said:

Bitterly disappointed in the English team today. Loved what they were saying, and the notion the Ashes might be cancelled this year because Australia is an unvisitable country at the moment. But they folded and now they're coming here, participating in our fucking ridiculous quarantine rules and all. :(

I enjoy cricket and the Ashes is cool and all, but this country needs things like this to be cancelled to highlight in no uncertain terms what a fucking terrible place it is to be at the moment. 

The number of sports people who've got Covid has always been way above other groups statistically and you can trace back any number of higher incident rates around Europe and the UK to sporting events. The recent end of the India tour was hardly a surprise , though I do suspect in no small part due to the players wanting their IPL payday. 

Just not the right time to play this tournament the way they're planning. Is there any plan for spectators?

40 minutes ago, PeterS said:

The number of sports people who've got Covid has always been way above other groups statistically and you can trace back any number of higher incident rates around Europe and the UK to sporting events. The recent end of the India tour was hardly a surprise , though I do suspect in no small part due to the players wanting their IPL payday. 

Just not the right time to play this tournament the way they're planning. Is there any plan for spectators?

Honestly don't know. I'm not really sure of the exact dates, but I'd think spectators will be a question mark until game day each time. 

Victoria, you'd have to assume no chance of spectators. NSW highly likely by then... At least a handful.

As it stands today, if they can get into the other states they'd have crowds... Today. A positive case or two (which is likely between then and now) and those states will all be locked down without crowds. So honestly, you'd be brave to guess with any certainty about what crowds will be where, if any. It can all change overnight. 

I don't know details, but surely they're not going to quarantine for two weeks every single time they cross a state border? I honestly don't know why they're bothering to come here. Don't understand it at all. 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Honestly don't know. I'm not really sure of the exact dates, but I'd think spectators will be a question mark until game day each time. 

Victoria, you'd have to assume no chance of spectators. NSW highly likely by then... At least a handful.

As it stands today, if they can get into the other states they'd have crowds... Today. A positive case or two (which is likely between then and now) and those states will all be locked down without crowds. So honestly, you'd be brave to guess with any certainty about what crowds will be where, if any. It can all change overnight. 

I don't know details, but surely they're not going to quarantine for two weeks every single time they cross a state border? I honestly don't know why they're bothering to come here. Don't understand it at all. 

It's daft because there will be a huge amount of investment and then they'll end up cancelling.  

On 10/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dead Planet said:

Fucking crickets...Autumn has finally arrived and the fuckers are dead and now I can go outside in the evening and it is blessedly quiet....

Them fuckers are loud. Hate 'em. Bad luck to kill 'em? Don't give a fuck. RAID!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

One for the Aussies and Brits.

Boxing Day, MCG, Ashes Test 3, Day 3.

Scott Boland's 6 for 7 will go down in history. 

As usual, I find the rule of thumb when watching Cricket is,

As soon as you walk away from the TV, a wicket is taken.

I saw him take his first wicket on day 3 and decided to go to the supermarket and get supplies to spend the rest of the day watching Cricket.

I returned within an hour and it was all over.

The end of day 2 was sensational enough, but day 3 was beyond Epic!

Again, only the Aussies, Poms and other Cricketing Nations understand.

BTW, I live about 15 minutes away from a small nondescript regional Aussie Town called "Sunbury", which is the birthplace of "The Ashes".

Again, only as above.

Edited by Darkstone

10 hours ago, auslander said:

England hanging on for a draw was like a victory for them. I almost feel sorry for them how bad they are. Almost.

Been there done that, it is nerve - racking, when got a 14 young kid at other end.

Dusty, you, know how we have immortals in front of Gee e.g. great man Lillee ? Well there is new one is going up featuring Scott Boland. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Doggy said:

Been there done that, it is nerve - racking, when got a 14 young kid at other end.

Dusty, you, know how we have immortals in front of Gee e.g. great man Lillee ? Well there is new one is going up featuring Scott Boland. 

It wouldn't surprise me.

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, auslander said:

He reminds me a bit of Merv how he barrels forwards in his run up. Another great Victorian character from the game.

Yeah, and he was instantly adopted by the crowd, echoing the iconic "crowd imitates Merv" action.

Rule of thumb for watching test cricket - don't.
Just click over to see the score every half hour and keep up with how badly England are doing.
In fact England's horrific performance is the only interesting part of this series - at least there is SOMETHING interesting, unlike most years.

One dayers are pretty much just as boring now that we have 20/20
The Big Bash is the only game worth watching, and the Renegades are doing average so interest in that is low as well.

5 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Just click over to see the score every half hour and keep up with how badly England are doing.
In fact England's horrific performance is the only interesting part of this series - at least there is SOMETHING interesting, unlike most years.

The Big Bash is the only game worth watching, and the Renegades are doing average so interest in that is low as well.

yep England have been terrible. Not sure what's happened to them as have been good in recent years 🤔 

Not that I massively follow cricket.

And I agree the shorter smash it everywhere games are far more entertaining 

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 1/13/2022 at 1:14 AM, CureTheSane said:

Yeah, when I was a kid it was all about the "one dayers".

You're about my vintage, so you remember how massive "World Series Cricket" and the one day format was when it first appeared..

At the time Test matches were a bit boring to me, but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the chess like tactics involved and I love it. It's cricket at it's purest.

T20 is also great and the perfect foil for Test cricket. 

Unfortunately, one day games in this day and age are neither here nor there. I'm not sure if they'll last.

25 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, when I was a kid it was all about the "one dayers".

You're about my vintage, so you remember how massive "World Series Cricket" and the one day format was when it first appeared..

At the time Test matches were a bit boring to me, but as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the chess like tactics involved and I love it. It's cricket at it's purest.

T20 is also great and the perfect foil for Test cricket. 

Unfortunately, one day games in this day and age are neither here nor there. I'm not sure if they'll last.

With Covid, we are playing  a second season of one days.

In past we used played the opposition at their ground or ours for one dayer and then we a two day game at whoever didn't play the one day game. If that make sense. Either way the top grade the umpire gets paid $Aud 130 for standing out in the weather . Most the umpires , usually put it on bar.

One daysers a re a nothing, will be the first to go.
Yesys may n ot last either.
I never learnt to appreciate them and was never prepared to waste 5 days watching.
I stay in tough with what's going on, but if it wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it.

Love the Big Bash. Don't follow cricket, as such, other than checking up on scores. Haven't watched a second of the Ashes this series, but I do thoroughly enjoy the BBL. I actually play BBL Supercoach too, which really gets me into it. Been a complete fuckaround this year with all the covid stuff, but still have a crack. 

13 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Love the Big Bash. Don't follow cricket, as such, other than checking up on scores. Haven't watched a second of the Ashes this series, but I do thoroughly enjoy the BBL. I actually play BBL Supercoach too, which really gets me into it. Been a complete fuckaround this year with all the covid stuff, but still have a crack. 

BBL? what is that....

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yep, it's weird that I topo find state cricket the most desirable to watch.
Even when we play the 20/20 at the end of summer - Aust vs England, I probably won't bother.
That said, I follow the renegades :(

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

I am more a fan of the IPL, ( India Premier League ) , just the money that cricketer can make. Glenn Maxwell is making good money . in six figures.

• 1 month later...

'Australia legend Shane Warne has reportedly passed away of a suspected attack. He was 52.'

Terrible news. R.I.P Shane. 

Edited by Ponen

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Ponen said:

'Australia legend Shane Warne has reportedly passed away of a suspected attack. He was 52.'

Terrible news. R.I.P Shane. 

It's 3:00 am here, I just checked the news feeds after reading this post and yeah, it's true.

This is massive news.

7 hours ago, Darkstone said:

It's 3:00 am here, I just checked the news feeds after reading this post and yeah, it's true.

This is massive news.

Don't forget " Bachuss " Rod Marsh.