Khymera - Hold Your Ground

Stefan

On 2/11/2023 at 7:55 AM, J.S.M said:

Why is ADV involved at all?

He's not even mentioned on any liner notes of the album...must have wanted to keep it hushed so we wouldn't know :anon:

Edited by lettard

12 hours ago, J.S.M said:

Don't understand that. Dennis Ward is a great songwriter. Why is ADV involved at all?

I have this suspicion (and I know I'm not the only one) that either 1) Frontiers just puts ADV on every project they do in some capacity (with the exception of well established groups like Stryper, Eclipse, etc. who have their own distinct songwriting styles) whether those involved in the project are down with it or not or 2) ADV just wrote and demoed so much shite during the pandemic, they just have a bunch of material lying around for people to use, and are handing it out to projects like, "Here, you want this? Please use this! We've got a studio full of the stuff! Use it, please! You'll love it, it's great!", if not some combination of both.

4 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

I have this suspicion (and I know I'm not the only one) that either 1) Frontiers just puts ADV on every project they do in some capacity (with the exception of well established groups like Stryper, Eclipse, etc. who have their own distinct songwriting styles) whether those involved in the project are down with it or not or 2) ADV just wrote and demoed so much shite during the pandemic, they just have a bunch of material lying around for people to use, and are handing it out to projects like, "Here, you want this? Please use this! We've got a studio full of the stuff! Use it, please! You'll love it, it's great!", if not some combination of both.

Didn't Joe Lynn Turner say something about this when explaining why he left Sunstorm? He didn't mention ADV specifically but he alluded to Frontiers turning the project into something different than what he had signed up for and getting little creative input.

4 hours ago, Eric3 said:

Didn't Joe Lynn Turner say something about this when explaining why he left Sunstorm? He didn't mention ADV specifically but he alluded to Frontiers turning the project into something different than what he had signed up for and getting little creative input.

He was very diplomatic about it, but yes.

And then they continued Sunstorm without him, which in my mind was criminal.

I don't mind it. Definitely doesn't have the punch of earlier releases, and for me that was the main thing. A very polite, "measured" sound throughout. Not a bad sound, but not my favourite. Anyway, I actually think most the songs are quite good, with 'Hear What I'm Saying' being the pinnacle. Not their best album, but if I recall correctly, it's a bit better than their last few? 

A good, solid album and far from the worst 'band' on the Frontiers label, but it didn't get me very excited if i'm honest. . I'll stick with the mighty' The Greatest Wonder' 

What is that ADV you're all talking about? Some autotune device or?

40 minutes ago, Thomas/Coastline said:

What is that ADV you're all talking about? Some autotune device or?

more like a computer programme that churns out generic rock songs 

On 2/15/2023 at 2:48 PM, Jez said:

A good, solid album and far from the worst 'band' on the Frontiers label, but it didn't get me very excited if i'm honest. . I'll stick with the mighty' The Greatest Wonder' 

Pure magic.

• Like 2