Journey - Freedom

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Best single so far!

11 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

I've given up on them. Was this recorded under water?

agree production is still ruining it for me. 

Could be the production (why are the backing vocals so loud?) but Arnel does not sound good to me. He still has the range but doesn't sound like he's singing with much power -- and I'm FAR from a "No Perry = no Journey!" type of person...

• 4 weeks later...

Got this disc the other day,have given it a couple of spins,second half sounds better than the first,its not bad...not amazing...just not bad...15 songs so another long listen.

8 minutes ago, auslander said:

Is it similar to Eclipse cause I really enjoy that album? Got better with repeated listens.

Yes & No...some tracks fit the mold but Eclipse was a much better album than this

New Journey album is a bit of a mess. It's too long!! 15 tracks. 😳 At least 5 or 6 could be dropped in the middle part, just weak songs and poorly mixed. It starts off pretty decently for first 4 or 5 tracks then loses its way with a muddy mix and dull run of songs. They should have made it 10 songs and cleaned it up a bit. Some decent Neal parts but too often buried. 😕

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, auslander said:

Is it similar to Eclipse cause I really enjoy that album? Got better with repeated listens.

nowhere near Eclipse imo. That was a great album 👏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

It's... ok. Admittedly only one listen through, but not memorable IMO.

Agree.

Gave it one listen and have zero desire to listen again.  

I feel like if this was some other band not titled "Journey" then nobody would even bother with it.

And a huge band like them has no business putting out an album with this kind of production.  We listen to many bands here with a fraction of the budget/resources doing way better sounding albums.

Brendon gives his review…

On 7/8/2022 at 4:30 AM, heavyharmonies said:

It's... ok. Admittedly only one listen through, but not memorable IMO.

I gotta revise my opinion here. I gave another dedicated listen today after previous multitasking listens, and the album actually gets worse every time I listen to it. I don't understand the love for it. It's boring. Meandering, plodding, and paint by numbers.

The songs don't fucking go anywhere, but they go nowhere forever! I found myself on numerous occasions wondering "ok, can we get to the next song please?" which is never a good sign.

In the few places there are build-ups, the payoffs fall short.  Add to that the numerous "WTF" moments with respect to sound quality/mix, which is utterly INEXCUSABLE from a band of this stature, and this phoned-in "effort" is a hard pass.

Candidly, give me anything Deen Castronovo is involved in over this every day and twice on Sundays. He's doing Journey better than Journey.

Fail The Simpsons GIF

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Glen said:

10 min review and he doesn't once mention the sound issues on the album? wow. 

Yeeeeeaaaah, I’m sure he hears it, but just chose not to focus on that. The one part of his review that I totally agree with is when he mentions that it doesn’t sound like Arnel is trying to sound like Steve Perry on Freedom, and is actually allowed to be himself… I thought the same thing upon first listen.

I think there’s a decent album somewhere in here; take the 10-11 best songs , and give it a decent production…but as is, it’s a definite disappointment. 😕