Journey - Freedom

Stefan

It's been a long time since the last Journey album. I am feeling really sad that everyone thinks this one sucks so much. Maybe I won't get it at all based on this.

21 minutes ago, auslander said:

It's been a long time since the last Journey album. I am feeling really sad that everyone thinks this one sucks so much. Maybe I won't get it at all based on this.

I would say definitely preview on Spotify (assuming the album is available in Australia) or another service first, especially if it's going to be pricey for you to buy.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, AlphaMale said:

Andrew loves it LOL

92??? 

I'd give it a 29!!!

JOURNEY - Freedom (Album Review, 2022) - MelodicRock.com

yea but he's an unapologetic journey nut swinger, who'd give a 90 to an album of Pineda humming over Schon's blowing sounds while on the toilet. 

• Haha 2

I like the first half quite a lot, then the skip button comes in handy on tracks 9-11. The rest are ok and I like 'Beautiful As You Are' a lot, so generally it gets a thumbs up, but points deducted for being 3 or 4 tracks too long and some 'iffy' production/ mixing moments. Way from their best, but no disaster to my ears

11 minutes ago, Jez said:

I like the first half quite a lot, then the skip button comes in handy on tracks 9-11. The rest are ok and I like 'Beautiful As You Are' a lot, so generally it gets a thumbs up, but points deducted for being 3 or 4 tracks too long and some 'iffy' production/ mixing moments. Way from their best, but no disaster to my ears

iffy??

it's appalling. 

I tried to listen again earlier but it's almost demo like in places.

unforgiveable for a band of this stature

I listened to new degreed after and for a recording on a fraction of the budget it sounds a million times better.

it's like Schon asked for a raw live sound like infinity / departure and they fucked it up 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:26 PM, tts42572 said:

I feel like if this was some other band not titled "Journey" then nobody would even bother with it.

Truest statement in this thread. I don't want to come in as someone who's not a mad Journey fan at the best of times and surprise surprise I don't like it, but genuinely surprised to see any even half hearted praise for the album. 

I thought it was a disgrace, to be totally fair. 'You Got The Best Of Me' and 'Don't Go' are nice tunes to my ears, and 'Live to love again' is a pretty decent ballad and 'Don't Give Up On Us' isn't too far off the mark. But the rest, I do not care for one bit at all.

As noted many times, it sounds like a smacked sac, and further to the dreadful production, some of the musicality, to me, just sounds off. I assume everything on this album is intentional, but so much of it just sounds really bad to me. Some of the song writing you'd not expect from one's worst nightmare, let alone a band of this stature. 

Anyway, good luck to anyone who likes it. I thought 'Eclipse' was really good and would have loved to hear something of that quality, but this is just bad, in my opinion, of course. 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Anyway, good luck to anyone who likes it. I thought 'Eclipse' was really good and would have loved to hear something of that quality, but this is just bad, in my opinion, of course. 

And we all hold your opinion in such high regard. 

;}

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

And we all hold your opinion in such high regard. 

;}

Likewise, my furry friend. 

• Haha 1

I have read some reviews that suggest people who hear bad production might be listening to compressed audio files from spotify and not a cd on a decent high-end stereo. Apparently this issue is very noticeable on the YouTube files as well. It may be the reason why people are hearing different things regarding the production.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, tts42572 said:

I feel like if this was some other band not titled "Journey" then nobody would even bother with it.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:35 AM, Geoff said:

Truest statement in this thread.

yea, I feel like this sentiment could also be applied to the latest Def Leppard album as well. 

Edited by tobi is an animal

5 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:
On 7/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, tts42572 said:

yea, I feel like this sentiment could also be applied to the latest Def Leppard album as well. 

Yeah and some people slobber over Avantafantasia and the latest Reckless Love, so there is no accounting for taste.

3 hours ago, auslander said:

Yeah and some people slobber over Avantafantasia and the latest Reckless Love, so there is no accounting for taste.

Heck, the Journey Facebook page, which is normally a cesspool of people complaining about Steve Perry being gone, is full of people raving about it. RAVING about it. 

People may not believe me but I have experimented. I have had my wife play me a few songs of an album I own on her Spotify. It sounded average. I then played the same via cd on my hifi and it was amazing. I'm not even an audiophile but complex production sounds crap via streaming. It just does.

3 hours ago, auslander said:

I'm not even an audiophile but complex production sounds crap via streaming. It just does.

Going to disagree slightly: To SOME people, CERTAIN streaming options sound like crap.

1. Not all streaming/download platforms sound the same. They all have varying levels of compression, bandwidth, rendering, etc. Spotify is not the same as Youtube is not the same as Tidal is not the same as Amazon Music is not the same as Apple Music, etc.

2. Not everyone has the same level of aural acuity. This is especially true as we age and our hearing gets naturally worse. I know that personally with respect to treble, I cannot hear as well as I did 20 years ago.

When I was making my assessments of this album they were done from lossless FLAC files ripped from CD. Any differences between that and a physical CD, playback stream of equipment notwithstanding, are utterly nominal.

P.S. Fidelity and listening to a physical CD doesn't fix bland and boring.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2022 at 8:20 AM, auslander said:

I have read some reviews that suggest people who hear bad production might be listening to compressed audio files from spotify and not a cd on a decent high-end stereo. Apparently this issue is very noticeable on the YouTube files as well. It may be the reason why people are hearing different things regarding the production.

This is a very common excuse these days. If something sounds bad they just say it's YouTube compressing the file. Which technically does happen but alone should not be the reason for what is actually poor mixing.

Also, if these streaming platforms are so prevalent, why not try to adjust for that in the recording process? Not everyone is going to be able to listen on a hi-def sound system...

On 6/7/2022 at 6:49 AM, Stefan said:

Don't give up on them yet.

New song ' Don't Give Up On Us'. :)

Don't Give Up On Us is a good song!

overall I liked the album, at least a strong 6 or even a 7. 

United We Stand, Together We Run, Live to Love Again, The Way We Used to Be, Don't Go are some other standouts imho

Edited by Invisible_man

• My Little Pony
On 7/20/2022 at 4:48 PM, Eric3 said:

Also, if these streaming platforms are so prevalent, why not try to adjust for that in the recording process? Not everyone is going to be able to listen on a hi-def sound system...

Makes sense. Mastering for an LP was different than mastering for a CD. Not sure if they master differently for streaming services, or not, but you would think they should. 

I finally got a chance to listen to this album on a long drive home last night. My vehicle has a decent sound system in it so I cranked it to a respectable volume and I was pretty Blown Away and how poor the production was on this. Especially considering it is a journey album. The production I would say is a 3 out of 10 at best.... the songs were mostly unmemorable with only two or three that I kind of tapped my foot to.... mucho Sadness.....