Corona

simo

13 hours ago, auslander said:

Everybody used to want to immigrate to our country. One more year of this enforced random imprisonment and we will see Aussies clamboring to leave permanently the US and Britain.

My brother lives in Sydney (has for about 10 years)….I have been there once, for his wedding, and it’s an amazing place.  I can’t wait until I can make it back there to visit! Ugh…..

8 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Haven't heard the media mention this Lambda variant yet. So far it's only in Peru and South America. But you know it will spread everywhere just like the alpha version of covid-19.

I haven't seen much about it either, outside of a recent story about someone in Texas having it.  I believe they said it was the first confirmed case in the U.S.  That story you shared about it possibly being more resistant to vaccines is a bit concerning.  

13 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

I haven't seen much about it either, outside of a recent story about someone in Texas having it.  I believe they said it was the first confirmed case in the U.S.  That story you shared about it possibly being more resistant to vaccines is a bit concerning.  

I agree. Very concerning.

17 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

Lambda variant of COVID identified at Houston hospital. What to know (usatoday.com)

A Houston hospital has its first case of the lambda variant of the coronavirus, but public health experts say it remains too soon to tell whether the variant will rise to the same level of concern as the delta variant currently raging across unvaccinated communities in the U.S.

About 83% of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are from the delta variant and the vast majority of hospitalizations are among unvaccinated people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The lambda variant, on the other hand, has been identified in less than 700 cases in the U.S. However, the World Health Organization in June called lambda a "variant of interest," meaning it has genetic changes that affect the virus' characteristics and has caused significant community spread or clusters of COVID-19 in multiple countries.

Countries that used to treat Covid-19 like the plague are starting to think of it more like new seasons of American Idol—just a fact of life.

Countries like Singapore.

With 67% of Singapore's nearly 5.7 million people fully vaccinated, officials said yesterday they’ll continue with their plan to ease Covid-19 curbs starting next week. In-person dining will resume, border controls will be loosened, and some employees can head back to the office. The reasoning is that perpetual reopening and closing of businesses will give the economy chronic whiplash.

Why it matters: Singapore is the most significant example yet of a country pivoting from a “Covid Zero” approach to a strategy that accepts Covid as “endemic,” meaning it’s always present but remains at a manageable level. 

“Covid Zero” vs. “Living with Covid”

Before its pivot, Singapore was part of a group of Asia-Pacific countries that played Whac-A-Mole to snuff out any trace of the coronavirus in an approach known as “Zero Covid.” And that’s still happening today:

• After recording more than 300 locally transmitted cases this week, China introduced new curbs on transportation in some cities and began mass testing residents in Wuhan, where the virus originated.
  • The state of Victoria, Australia, instituted its sixth lockdown on Thursday after detecting eight new cases. Australia is just 17% vaccinated.

Compare that to the more lax approach employed by countries like the US and the UK.

• The UK scrapped nearly all its pandemic curbs on July 19 in a strategy it called “Keep life moving.” After a Delta-fueled wave peaked in late July, cases have declined considerably...without new mitigation measures.

Bottom line: As the story of Singapore shows, the only way to go from “Zero Covid” to “Living with Covid” is to mass-vaccinate your population, which largely prevents serious illness.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Haven't heard the media mention this Lambda variant yet. So far it's only in Peru and South America. But you know it will spread everywhere just like the alpha version of covid-19.

There's absolutely no need for the media to mention the new one yet because Delta is still doing it's job for them, keeping everyone alarmed and panicked. Only when the mass hysteria starts to die off will they unleash the next one. 

16 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Countries that used to treat Covid-19 like the plague are starting to think of it more like new seasons of American Idol—just a fact of life.

Countries like Singapore.

With 67% of Singapore's nearly 5.7 million people fully vaccinated, officials said yesterday they’ll continue with their plan to ease Covid-19 curbs starting next week. In-person dining will resume, border controls will be loosened, and some employees can head back to the office. The reasoning is that perpetual reopening and closing of businesses will give the economy chronic whiplash.

Why it matters: Singapore is the most significant example yet of a country pivoting from a “Covid Zero” approach to a strategy that accepts Covid as “endemic,” meaning it’s always present but remains at a manageable level. 

“Covid Zero” vs. “Living with Covid”

Before its pivot, Singapore was part of a group of Asia-Pacific countries that played Whac-A-Mole to snuff out any trace of the coronavirus in an approach known as “Zero Covid.” And that’s still happening today:

• After recording more than 300 locally transmitted cases this week, China introduced new curbs on transportation in some cities and began mass testing residents in Wuhan, where the virus originated.
  • The state of Victoria, Australia, instituted its sixth lockdown on Thursday after detecting eight new cases. Australia is just 17% vaccinated.

Compare that to the more lax approach employed by countries like the US and the UK.

• The UK scrapped nearly all its pandemic curbs on July 19 in a strategy it called “Keep life moving.” After a Delta-fueled wave peaked in late July, cases have declined considerably...without new mitigation measures.

Bottom line: As the story of Singapore shows, the only way to go from “Zero Covid” to “Living with Covid” is to mass-vaccinate your population, which largely prevents serious illness.

Am I the only one who reads stories like this and thinks who the actual fuck cares about case numbers? Why do we still give a fuck about case numbers? In this article, not one mention of how many deaths it's still causing. All we hear about is how many tests and how many confirmed cases, and then every now and then someone will mention the relatively very small death toll (in 2021, not since the start when no one knew what we were dealing with). 

I want desperately to hear a daily tally of how many people step into a car, how many of those people have an accident, and then how many of those people die. I don't really understand how the world can continue without this daily information. 

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

There's absolutely no need for the media to mention the new one yet because Delta is still doing it's job for them, keeping everyone alarmed and panicked. Only when the mass hysteria starts to die off will they unleash the next one. 

Am I the only one who reads stories like this and thinks who the actual fuck cares about case numbers? Why do we still give a fuck about case numbers? In this article, not one mention of how many deaths it's still causing. All we hear about is how many tests and how many confirmed cases, and then every now and then someone will mention the relatively very small death toll (in 2021, not since the start when no one knew what we were dealing with). 

I want desperately to hear a daily tally of how many people step into a car, how many of those people have an accident, and then how many of those people die. I don't really understand how the world can continue without this daily information. 

In my local media it was reported that over 60% of us are now vaccinated in our area. And we have not had any local cases at all. Yet, we are still locked down because of the dickhead in charge in Melbourne.

And people keep saying "get vaccinated". Well, we are. And it make zero difference. You still have to wear a mask and not leave your home. We live on average for about 80 years. And now we have spent one of those years forced to stay home. But oh no, some wanker sneezes in Melbourne or Sydney and everyone is in jail again.

2 minutes ago, auslander said:

In my local media it was reported that over 60% of us are now vaccinated in our area. And we have not had any local cases at all. Yet, we are still locked down because of the dickhead in charge in Melbourne.

And people keep saying "get vaccinated". Well, we are. And it make zero difference. You still have to wear a mask and not leave your home. We live on average for about 80 years. And now we have spent one of those years forced to stay home. But oh no, some wanker sneezes in Melbourne or Sydney and everyone is in jail again.

Two years wasted and counting. May have been locked inside your house for one year, but it's not like you've been able to do anything outside of that time because if your brazen enough to try and book something you're cancelling it by the time it comes around because of another lockdown. 

But yeah, this is what I've been saying. It depends on how you listen, but I don't even think they try to tell us there's any light at the end of the tunnel. They've plain and simply said that there will still be lockdowns when we're at 70-80%, if that even ever happens. So really, what's the point in any of it? And you can be absolutely guaranteed that masks are not going anywhere at all, vaccinated or not. 

It'll be interesting to see how it all progresses, when people eventually start realising that their being vaccinated means absolutely fuck all in regards to trying to get life "back to normal." 

https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/deadly-lambda-covid-19-variant-could-be-vaccine-resistant/

“Notably, the vaccination rate in Chile is relatively high; the percentage of the people who received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine was [about] 60%,” the authors write.

“Nevertheless, a big COVID-19 surge has occurred in Chile in Spring 2021, suggesting that the Lambda variant is proficient in escaping from the antiviral immunity elicited by vaccination,” they warn.

The Lambda variant is thought to have emerged somewhere in South America between November and December 2020, and has since turned up in countries throughout Europe, North America and a few more isolated cases in Asia, according to GISAID data.

Edited by AlphaMale

One dose of vaccine offers little protection.
I reckon the double jabbed percentage would look like around 40%

Bruce Dickinson has covid. He's been double jabbed.
Said he sneezed for a few days and then got a bit drowsy then it was all gone.
Says they he thinks it would have been far worse without any vaccination.

On a bright note, Australia, who have been far behind the rest of the world with vaccinations, seem to be catching up rather quickly, with 19$ of the population vaccinated and if we keep up the rate, we can be at 80% by December, particularly with Moderna on its way to support the others.
The scaremongering with Astra has died down a bit and people are going out and getting it.
This of course will only last until the next blood clot case.

Finally they have ease the bullshit you need to go through to get the jab.
I have to go through 90 minutes of queuing up in 3 different queues, checking my name off at every point, downloading documents to read, etc etc
Now they have drive through vaccinations, where you pull up, get a needle and wait for 15 mins and then go
Not sure why they just didn't release to pharmacists at the start.
It's only a fucking needle in the arm.

Yeah, and it's not really widely reported.
Likelihood is most of us will get covid of some sort.
The choice is how sick you are prepared to get I suppose.

That said, things are changing all the time.
Reports that Pfeiser does not last as long and you need a 6 month booster.
Astra seems to have more endurance.

Then there is lambda that is more resistant to all of them.
It could be argued to wait for a vaccine that targets these new variants better.
still don't see a valid argument not to get a jab of any sort. Not trying to start shit, just my humble opinion that nobody has made a convincing argument for no vaccines.

11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

One dose of vaccine offers little protection.
I reckon the double jabbed percentage would look like around 40%

Bruce Dickinson has covid. He's been double jabbed.
Said he sneezed for a few days and then got a bit drowsy then it was all gone.
Says they he thinks it would have been far worse without any vaccination.

On a bright note, Australia, who have been far behind the rest of the world with vaccinations, seem to be catching up rather quickly, with 19$ of the population vaccinated and if we keep up the rate, we can be at 80% by December, particularly with Moderna on its way to support the others.
The scaremongering with Astra has died down a bit and people are going out and getting it.
This of course will only last until the next blood clot case.

Finally they have ease the bullshit you need to go through to get the jab.
I have to go through 90 minutes of queuing up in 3 different queues, checking my name off at every point, downloading documents to read, etc etc
Now they have drive through vaccinations, where you pull up, get a needle and wait for 15 mins and then go
Not sure why they just didn't release to pharmacists at the start.
It's only a fucking needle in the arm.

Doesn't really matter anyway, mate. I assume you're across the story of the South Australia olympians returning home? For those unaware, they're fully vaccinated, been covid tested for almost every day since they left the country, quarantined for 14 days upon arrival into Sydney, and now have to quarantine for 14 more days going back home to South Australia. So, fully vaccinated, been tested 20+ times and forced to quarantine for 28 days. 

If anyone can look at that story and think we're headed towards anything promising here in Australia, I envy your optimism. We are trapped in the stupidest country on earth and there's a tunnel with a distinct lack of light at the end of it. 

15 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

https://nypost.com/2021/08/12/deadly-lambda-covid-19-variant-could-be-vaccine-resistant/

“Notably, the vaccination rate in Chile is relatively high; the percentage of the people who received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine was [about] 60%,” the authors write.

“Nevertheless, a big COVID-19 surge has occurred in Chile in Spring 2021, suggesting that the Lambda variant is proficient in escaping from the antiviral immunity elicited by vaccination,” they warn.

The Lambda variant is thought to have emerged somewhere in South America between November and December 2020, and has since turned up in countries throughout Europe, North America and a few more isolated cases in Asia, according to GISAID data.

I don't understand this story. What does it even say of any worth? Is there a surge in deaths, or just a surge in cases? How is this not being clarified 18 months later? 

Someone earlier mentioned the flu Vax. The flu Vax changes every year to target the new strains. I know and get it yearly. Same will probably happen with the covid vax  with yearly vax to target newer strains of the virus. 

By the way, studies have shown that Modena and Pfizer are far ahead of Astra Zeneca. Pfizer is at about 90% efficacy, Modena at the same if not better, but Astra is at about 74%. So there is a difference and to me that is pretty big. If you have a choice go with Pfizer of Modena.

I'd rather have a vaccine that is 9/10 times effective than one that is 3/4 times effective. Just sayin'.

Edited by auslander

3 hours ago, auslander said:

Someone earlier mentioned the flu Vax. The flu Vax changes every year to target the new strains. I know and get it yearly. Same will probably happen with the covid vax  with yearly vax to target newer strains of the virus. 

By the way, studies have shown that Modena and Pfizer are far ahead of Astra Zeneca. Pfizer is at about 90% efficacy, Modena at the same if not better, but Astra is at about 74%. So there is a difference and to me that is pretty big. If you have a choice go with Pfizer of Modena.

I'd rather have a vaccine that is 9/10 times effective than one that is 3/4 times effective. Just sayin'.

Astra is far higher in recent study. 85-90% and in terms of preventing hospitalizations against Delta, 92% effective against 96% for Pfizer. 

Sorry to hear of the ongoing drama in Oz. didn't I read Morriston saying lockdowns would end at 70% vaccination? might be wrong?

UK almost back to normal. Not much mention now on news and don't even have to wear a mask. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Astra is far higher in recent study. 85-90% and in terms of preventing hospitalizations against Delta, 92% effective against 96% for Pfizer. 

Sorry to hear of the ongoing drama in Oz. didn't I read Morriston saying lockdowns would end at 70% vaccination? might be wrong?

UK almost back to normal. Not much mention now on news and don't even have to wear a mask. 

Well well.... look who's back in the thread he wasn't going to post in anymore.

I hate being right all the time. 

Edited by AlphaMale

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

Well well.... look who's back in the thread he wasn't going to post in anymore.

I hate being right all the time. 

nob 

and you're not right. Haven't posted for 25 days and you said I'd be back by the end of the week, so F you. 

Edited by Glen

28 minutes ago, Glen said:

nob 

and you're not right. Haven't posted for 25 days and you said I'd be back by the end of the week, so F you. 

Touchy touchy..... I knew you couldn't stay away. Way too predictable.

Off you go...