One Desire - Midnight Empire

Stefan

Good, solid start.

Have high expectations for this release.  Expecting it to be a top 5 album for me this year.

Their first album was one that was sort of a roller coaster for me.  I remember initially not caring much for it after my first listen.  I think I was expecting something heavier and a few tunes kinda threw me at first.  But it really grew on me after a few listens and still gets regular spins.

Should be an excellent release.

• My Little Pony

Another video out of synch. 

Also, why is Alessandro del Vecchio not in their playing keys? Is this not a Frontiers release??

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Also, why is Alessandro del Vecchio not in their playing keys? Is this not a Frontiers release??

he's not in the band

Sounds like it came right off the debut, NICE!

On 2/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

:lol:

let's not give them any ideas!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool song with a more metal feel...but 6 1/2 minutes is too long. It reminds me of something that would have been on Dream Theatre’s  Awake album. 🤷‍♂️

I’m worried like many other bands such as Dynasty and Art Nation that One Desire might drop the AOR vibe and go full melodic metal. 

28 minutes ago, zacharyamelie said:

Cool song with a more metal feel...but 6 1/2 minutes is too long. It reminds me of something that would have been on Dream Theatre’s  Awake album. 🤷‍♂️

I’m worried like many other bands such as Dynasty and Art Nation that One Desire might drop the AOR vibe and go full melodic metal. 

I'm not worried about them dropping the AOR vibe.  They had good variety on the last album and think they'll keep that variety at least based upon some early reviews I've read.  I actually like the heavier vibe of this so no complaint from me there.

Agree though that this is too long and I think that's definitely impacting my enjoyment level as it sorta just loses me along the way.  They could've easily trimmed 30-40 seconds at the beginning and end of this without changing the song at all.

This is one that when I get to the album, I'll probably find myself listening for the first few minutes then tapping that next track button.

Like that,don't hear much of a metal vibe from this that has been mentioned tbh? maybe the double bass kickdrum...the rest just sounds similar to the stuff from the debut album to my ears,the only slight negative for me is the length as it could easily end at 3.40 or so...but then it just seems to be the song repeated again to lengthen it?

Edited by lettard

Metal?... Not hardly. Sure, there's a more "crunchy" drum/guitar line and a bit more bombast to it, but it's definitely melodic rock... and me likey.

Actually, if you listen to the instrumentation/arrangement and some of the female backing vox, it reminds me of some of Within Temptation's recent material, but the lead vox and lead guitars are definitely melodic rock.

Yeah, metal?  Not hardly.  It sounds a lot like "Hurt" from the first album, which was definitely not metal.

Good track but I'll probably be editing my rip of it to get rid of the pointless intro at least.