Closest any 80's band has come to capturing their vintage sound?

gener8tr

Boston - Walk On

Oh yeah, Danger Danger - Revolve was bloody excellent and a return to their original sound.

Yes!

Tesla have stayed true to their sound and never disappointed.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED 'Bust A Nut'... :anon:

Hey me too! :beerbang:

;)

Tesla's last two since post reunion discs were both great and mixed their classic sound with a more modern production imo.

In the AOR arena I'm going to go for Balance - I thought their reunion album Equilibrium was bang on the money capturing the feel of their first two albums.

I'm surprised no ne mentioned the latest Night Ranger disc......thought that was pretty good at capturing their 'original sound'...

I want to post for Grand Design capturing their vintage sound of the 80s(oh I mean capturing DL vintage sound)in a sick way I almost like them more! heres to GD!!

I want to post for Grand Design capturing their vintage sound of the 80s(oh I mean capturing DL vintage sound)in a sick way I almost like them more! heres to GD!!

:drink: Definitely.

I'd say the same for LoudLion.

Revisting this one, there are a few bands who have come up with the odd song up to the standard of their 80s best, e.g. Ratt - As Good As Gets, Danger Danger - Rocket to Your Heart, but the albums just don't really do it for me. However, the exception that proves the rule is Shy - Shy. Awesome album, possibly even better than their 80s stuff imo. :beerbang:

Revisting this one, there are a few bands who have come up with the odd song up to the standard of their 80s best, e.g. Ratt - As Good As Gets, Danger Danger - Rocket to Your Heart, but the albums just don't really do it for me. However, the exception that proves the rule is Shy - Shy. Awesome album, possibly even better than their 80s stuff imo. :beerbang:

Yeah I agree on both points. The SHY is a great example of a band sticking to their signature sound and making a great disc. I don't really care that bands haven't come that close to capturing their 80's sound. I don't want them to. The balancing act of retaining old fans but gaining new ones with a modern-rock edge and production is almost impossible to achieve. So the bands either stick to their old sound and make (usually) sub-par records, ditch the old sound and move on (like Europe did) taking a big risk of alienating old fans, or somewhere in the middle (like Danger Danger, Treat & Unruly Child have mastered). Personally I'd prefer they took a chance and made a relevant 2012 disc with a modern sound...

Somebody mentioned Vain!!

'Enough Rope' is like the last twenty tears never happened! Great album!!! FM's return album is pretty good and retains their quality of their peak.

It's a good topic, I can never understand why bands like Maiden can't write another 'Number of the Beast' and Def Leppard can't write another 'Photograph'! They are not complex songs! Perhaps they just don't want to?!

Maiden are bad these days

Def Leppard are bad these days

Poison are shockingly bad these days

Whitesnake lack something for me compared to the late eighties.

Anyone know is the latest Bang Tango album is worth getting?

I'm surprised no ne mentioned the latest Night Ranger disc......thought that was pretty good at capturing their 'original sound'...

Agreed mate

Van Halen has done pretty well with the new one of capturing the sound of their late 70's to the mid 80's David Lee Roth era.

Completely disagree! It sounds like nineties DLR!

I think you need to clean your ears and get your facts straight mate! 90's DLR? Even the biggest VH hater would look like a fool stating that the new one is not a return to the sound of the DLR era. I'm guessing you've only heard the first single Tattoo...be honest! 75% of the album was originaly written in the 70's...not sure how that converts to 90's DLR.

Van Halen has done pretty well with the new one of capturing the sound of their late 70's to the mid 80's David Lee Roth era.

I think you need to clean your ears and get your facts straight mate! 90's DLR? Even the biggest VH hater would look like a fool stating that the new one is not a return to the sound of the DLR era. I'm guessing you've only heard the first single Tattoo...be honest! 75% of the album was originaly written in the 70's...not sure how that converts to 90's DLR.

A lot of the material (in one form or another) might date from the 70s but, soundwise, the album doesn't even come close to capturing their heyday ...

A lot of the material (in one form or another) might date from the 70s but, soundwise, the album doesn't even come close to capturing their heyday ...

I swear people in England didn't get the same release that we did in North America. Apart from the production being modern and fuller of course, the band's sound is spot on to what they were in their heyday. Once not a fan, never a fan.

Agreed mate

+1 - excellent album

I swear people in England didn't get the same release that we did in North America. Apart from the production being modern and fuller of course, the band's sound is spot on to what they were in their heyday. Once not a fan, never a fan.

Sorry, mate - but I'm a fan ... have been since I was 13 (which is a fair old while ago) ... I bought the albums (even VH3), tracked down the bootlegs, seen 'em twice with Sammy, seen DLR solo ... would you like me to go on? My own opinion - whether you agree or not - is that the new album doesn't capture their classic sound ... I just don't rate the album - and, believe me, I wanted to ...

... and in case you were wondering, I thought VH3 was utter bilge (although that didn't stop me from buying a ticket for the associated tour that was subsequently cancelled) :whistle: