Jeff Scott Soto

The Rocker

If any of you have not heard the samples of the new JSS cd (I actually forgot what site it's on)but anyway, they are only 4 second samples. I do have to say they sound pretty good for only 3-4 second samples.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, my cat farting can sound good in a 4-second sample.

I have not heard a cat fart that sounded good for even 1 second, so you, sir, have an extraordinary feline. :P

4-second samples, WTF?

Hell, my cat farting can sound good in a 4-second sample.

OK

I just dont get whats so great about JSS.

Yeah he can sing like nobodies business, but he just sounds so generic to me and on top of that, releases so much stuff that he just overdoes it in my opinion.

Hell, I helped interview him about 3 years or so ago for a radio show, and one of the ongoing jokes we had were that he had recorded cover songs of every band ever, and that he actually had recorded covers of songs that hadnt even been released yet. Very nice guy, with a good sense of humour, but while there are some gems in his catalogue, there is also a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

Yeah he can sing like nobodies business, but he just sounds so generic to me and on top of that, releases so much stuff that he just overdoes it in my opinion.

Hell, I helped interview him about 3 years or so ago for a radio show, and one of the ongoing jokes we had were that he had recorded cover songs of every band ever, and that he actually had recorded covers of songs that hadnt even been released yet. Very nice guy, with a good sense of humour, but while there are some gems in his catalogue, there is also a lot of mediocre stuff as well.

I kind of agree with you, I really don't care for a lot of his stuff. I absolutely love the EYES cd and I love W.E.T. and a few songs in between like Believe In Me. This new does sound like it should be good(I'm hoping), so I will check it out.

One of the best live performers Ive seen . period. That is what is so great about JSS.

He was totally wrong for Journey, but as a solo artist he's hard to touch live.

& WET were awesome at Firefest last year.

One of the best live performers Ive seen . period. That is what is so great about JSS.

& WET were awesome at Firefest last year.

Agreed. Except for maybe the Journey part. Journey started out as a real "Rock" band. I think if Jeff had not been "let go" he could have taken them no new and different places. Something more than just AOR or mainstream.

Ive been a JSS fan for about 15 years. I prefer his hard rock/metal sound to everything else he does. :headbanger:

I love JSS vocal, one of the best out there, but his solo albums doesn't really impress me much as he's in EYES, TALISMAN, or W.E.T, or even other bands like YNGWIE MALMSTEEN or AXEL RUDI PELL, but eager to hear how's the new album sound. Any idea who's behind the writing ?

'Prism' was a great disc and 'Lost In Translation' was pretty good to. The rest of his solo stuff has been a bit on the patchy side it must be said. As Glen says though, absolutely killer live and one of the best.

No doubt in the world that JSS has a lot of average to below par albums out there, and a couple of years ago there was a ridiculous case of JSS overkill when he was honestly on about 3-4 different CDs per year.

BUT, in the last few years this has thinned out a lot and there were a couple of killer solo CDs as well as the WET disc, which is as good as anything he's done to date - of which the Eyes and Talisman debuts are the cream of the crop. But Takara with JSS were consistently solid too.

Totally agree that he is completely impossible to fault as a live act.

So I was not wrong when I said it sounded good, even though the sample were very short?

• 1 month later...

1-minute samples posted on the main site:

http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/audio.cgi

Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but JSS' albums just blur together after a while. It's solidly performed, just like all his previous efforts... I just can't find anything memorable any more. :(

His image was completely wrong but his voice for me live with Journey was excellent and if he had continued with them, it could have been really something interesting.

Backed. When I saw him live, about 7 years ago at a school in south london (luckily this wasn't the peak of his career) he played to about 40 people and it was unbelievable. I was in the front row (there weren't any other rows!), and he performed for 2 hours and put his heart & soul into it. His vocals were incredible. He forever gets my respect for that.

Backed. When I saw him live, about 7 years ago at a school in south london (luckily this wasn't the peak of his career) he played to about 40 people and it was unbelievable. I was in the front row (there weren't any other rows!), and he performed for 2 hours and put his heart & soul into it. His vocals were incredible. He forever gets my respect for that.

Backed.

As for the new album not being memorable - well tish & push to that! Some excellent songs on this album and definitely up there with LITT in terms of class.

Backed.

As for the new album not being memorable - well tish & push to that! Some excellent songs on this album and definitely up there with LITT in terms of class.

Cool. I can kinda understand why people are getting a bit jaded by his stuff, he's been pretty prolific. But he's sung on some of the best albums in my collection: W.E.T, his "Prism" and "LITT" discs, Talisman's first few albums ("Genesis" is my fave) and their near-flawless "7" disc, the two Eyes albums, and there's probably more. A legend of Melodic Rock IMHO.

A few things to verify. I saw him live in Sydney a few years back and like when you saw him, Tim, there was not much of a crowd at all. But no one told him that and he put on a show worthy of a stadium full of folk. Amazing performer.

I could totally understand a few years ago that the market was over-saturated with his work, and I got sick of it too. But it hasn't been like that for a couple of years now, and based on the strength of 'LIT' and WET, I find myself yearning for more now, if anything.

I must admit, though, I don't think I ever even heard his last solo CD based on all the comments on it. :lol:

I must admit, though, I don't think I ever even heard his last solo CD based on all the comments on it. :lol:

Glen will tell you different, but I don't think you missed much by not getting it. My copy collects dust somewhere...

Glen will tell you different, but I don't think you missed much by not getting it. My copy collects dust somewhere...

Yeah, I'm sure I'd have given a sample or something a go, but never saw a need for further investigation.