Jeff Scott Soto

The Rocker

Beautiful Mess was awesome but very different than his other releases. I dig everything the guy does, and this cd is no different. I do need to listen to it again closer though. I made the mistake of listening to this one after I had spun the new Dynazty twice....not a good thing to do :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, though, I don't think I ever even heard his last solo CD based on all the comments on it. :lol:

Glen will tell you different, but I don't think you missed much by not getting it. My copy collects dust somewhere...

Yeah, I'm sure I'd have given a sample or something a go, but never saw a need for further investigation.

Its worth having for 'our Song', 'Gin & Tonic Sky' & 'Wherever' alone..........all 3 are awesome imo....but hey your loss ;-))

After two spins I really like this disc.

Fav songs so far are "Bonafide", "Die A Little", "Give a little More", "Look Inside Your Heart", "If I Never Let Her Go" and "Damage Control. It's hard for me to imagine a JSS fan not liking this cd.

My excitement about getting this is tempered by annoyance that other people seem to own this disc before me. I want it.

Cool. I can kinda understand why people are getting a bit jaded by his stuff, he's been pretty prolific. But he's sung on some of the best albums in my collection: W.E.T, his "Prism" and "LITT" discs, Talisman's first few albums ("Genesis" is my fave) and their near-flawless "7" disc, the two Eyes albums, and there's probably more. A legend of Melodic Rock IMHO.

'LITT' has been on my want list for ages. I've been put off JSS a bit after getting both Eyes CDs and not really enjoying them. There were only 2 or 3 songs over the 2 albums that I thought were okay, the rest I didn't like at all. Having said that, I did enjoy a lot of songs on the 'Humanimal' CD, so I probably need to check out 'LITT' and '7' soon...

My excitement about getting this is tempered by annoyance that other people seem to own this disc before me. I want it.

Would it make you feel better to know that I could have had it 2 weeks ago and passed on it?

Would it make you feel better to know that I could have had it 2 weeks ago and passed on it?

I'll be honest, I'd lose a tiny bit of respect for you. :)

Possibly my favourite song of the year so far............melodic perfection. 'Die Just A Little'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvGObIBp4k

Not a band song, but a bit bland and poppy for my tastes. I've listened to a few samples from this one and from the Phenomena CD posted on HH at the same time and I prefer all of the Phenomena songs to any of the JSS ones. Just saying. th_shrug.gif

Possibly my favourite song of the year so far............melodic perfection. 'Die Just A Little'

Not a band song, but a bit bland and poppy for my tastes. I've listened to a few samples from this one and from the Phenomena CD posted on HH at the same time and I prefer all of the Phenomena songs to any of the JSS ones. Just saying. th_shrug.gif

Wow mate you have really excelled yourself this time....I listened to about 5 of those Phenomena samples and they all sounded pants to me (esp the Hitchcock song which sounded horrific)........Just saying ;-)

I cannot believe that anyone who is a fan of JSS wont absolutely love this album....it is virtually without filler.

well than maybe James is not a JSS fan :D

Not really, but don't dislike him either. I'm possibly alone on here in thinking that the Eyes CDs were poor; I don't rate them at all. However, I love some of his stuff with Axel Rudi Pell, a few songs on the Talisman 'Humanimal' CD and especially 'Soul Divine' (the only song I know from 'Lost in the Translation'). I approached this with an open mind, but found it too poppy and uninteresting. (Sorry! :anon:)

I'm possibly alone on here in thinking that the Eyes CDs were poor; I don't rate them at all.

Yes you are. Please leave immediately.

:baneed:

:nyanya:

Seriously though, the Eyes S/T is a gem. Also, you don't mention the Talisman S/T, which IMO is in my top 25 discs of all time.

I'll give the new JSS a few more listens before making final judgement, just in case it's a grower...

-Dan

Wow mate you have really excelled yourself this time....I listened to about 5 of those Phenomena samples and they all sounded pants to me (esp the Hitchcock song which sounded horrific)........Just saying ;-)

I cannot believe that anyone who is a fan of JSS wont absolutely love this album....it is virtually without filler.

Yeah backed, that Phenomena sounded dogshite. As for EYES, both albums were utterly awesome. Personal taste dictates that "Windows to the Soul" was my fave, but there's barely a filler on either IMHO...

I'm possibly alone on here in thinking that the Eyes CDs were poor; I don't rate them at all.

Yes you are. Please leave immediately.

:baneed:

:nyanya:

Seriously though, the Eyes S/T is a gem. Also, you don't mention the Talisman S/T, which IMO is in my top 25 discs of all time.

I'll give the new JSS a few more listens before making final judgement, just in case it's a grower...

-Dan

This is perhaps my most surprising difference of opinion yet. Yeah, there are differences of opinion/taste on here all the time; that's the nature of this type of forum. However, in the case of Eyes most people think the 2 albums are fantastic and I just don't get it. At all. For me it is all down to the songs. I find them so boring, not at all special and only 'Walkin' Fire' I would consider playing again. I've given the CDs many, many spins and just don't like the songs at all. And the cover of 'Don't Turn Around' is just horrific.

Strange that we can all rave about 'White Sister', 'Pyromania', 'Under Lock and Key', '1987', etc, yet I seem to be very much on my own with Eyes. th_shrug.gif

Strange that we can all rave about 'White Sister', 'Pyromania', 'Under Lock and Key', '1987', etc, yet I seem to be very much on my own with Eyes. th_shrug.gif

The EYES albums are really AOR. Sure the S/T might be rockier but most of the songs, especially on "Windows...", are AOR. JSS also ventured into AOR territory on some of the "Prism" album and some of the "W.E.T" disc. Talisman were MHR and had different song structures (usually simpler choruses, that are often catchier). If you're an AOR fan the chances are you like "Windows..." more, if you're an MHR fan then you probably like the "S/T" more, and if you prefer hard rock then you might well not like either. I remember there being lots of debate about Fair Warning versus Jaded Heart/Frontline on the main site - well FW are AOR, the other two are not.

The EYES albums are really AOR. Sure the S/T might be rockier but most of the songs, especially on "Windows...", are AOR. JSS also ventured into AOR territory on some of the "Prism" album and some of the "W.E.T" disc. Talisman were MHR and had different song structures (usually simpler choruses, that are often catchier). If you're an AOR fan the chances are you like "Windows..." more, if you're an MHR fan then you probably like the "S/T" more, and if you prefer hard rock then you might well not like either. I remember there being lots of debate about Fair Warning versus Jaded Heart/Frontline on the main site - well FW are AOR, the other two are not.

This could be it tbh, maybe I just don't really do AOR. I do love Harlan Cage, a few Journey songs, a few songs by 101 South and the odd track by other AOR bands here and there, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule. And in line with your post, I don't like Fair Warning.

It still surprises me on a song level though. While I quite like 'Walkin' Fire' and 'Callin' All Girls' isn't bad, I strongly dislike the other songs on 'Eyes'. Just don't think they are good songs at all. Odd.

I will be getting hold of 'LITT' though and have also acquired '7', so fingers crossed for them.

This could be it tbh, maybe I just don't really do AOR. I do love Harlan Cage, a few Journey songs, a few songs by 101 South and the odd track by other AOR bands here and there, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule. And in line with your post, I don't like Fair Warning.

It still surprises me on a song level though. While I quite like 'Walkin' Fire' and 'Callin' All Girls' isn't bad, I strongly dislike the other songs on 'Eyes'. Just don't think they are good songs at all. Odd.

On the EYES "S/T", songs like "Nobody Said it was Easy" and "Don't Turn Around" (in this arrangement) are AOR. That's why they're my favourites, and why I don't like the hard-rock simplicity of songs like "Walkin' Fire" (just singing the song-title repeatedly in the chorus does not a good song make, IMO). These are the same reasons why I like FAIR WARNING (they are really just heavy AOR) and not FRONTLINE or TRANSIT or other such euro-shite. Expect maybe the reverse is true for you. Or I could be talking balls.

On the EYES "S/T", songs like "Nobody Said it was Easy" and "Don't Turn Around" (in this arrangement) are AOR. That's why they're my favourites, and why I don't like the hard-rock simplicity of songs like "Walkin' Fire" (just singing the song-title repeatedly in the chorus does not a good song make, IMO). These are the same reasons why I like FAIR WARNING (they are really just heavy AOR) and not FRONTLINE or TRANSIT or other such euro-shite. Expect maybe the reverse is true for you. Or I could be talking balls.

Thanks for trying though! ;)

You may well have a point. So do you think the new JSS is more AOR than HR?

Thanks for trying though! ;)

You may well have a point. So do you think the new JSS is more AOR than HR?

From the couple of songs I've heard then yeah. It usually depends on the songwriters. I first thought about this when I saw some quotes from Erik Martensson about the last ECLIPSE album, where he (unlike most songwriters) tries to write songs in different styles. There are some AOR songs on that album, and some melodic hard rockers. Usually easy to distinguish as the latter are just heavier, but not so easy when the songs don't have keys or have a lot of guitar. On the Toby Hitchcock album he was probably asked to write a lot of AOR songs - which is what they are (even "Tear down the Barricades" - which is pretty heavy stuff)...