Jeff Scott Soto

The Rocker

On the EYES "S/T", songs like "Nobody Said it was Easy" and "Don't Turn Around" (in this arrangement) are AOR. That's why they're my favourites, and why I don't like the hard-rock simplicity of songs like "Walkin' Fire" (just singing the song-title repeatedly in the chorus does not a good song make, IMO). These are the same reasons why I like FAIR WARNING (they are really just heavy AOR) and not FRONTLINE or TRANSIT or other such euro-shite. Expect maybe the reverse is true for you. Or I could be talking balls.

Thanks for trying though! ;)

You may well have a point. So do you think the new JSS is more AOR than HR?

From the couple of songs I've heard then yeah. It usually depends on the songwriters. I first thought about this when I saw some quotes from Erik Martensson about the last ECLIPSE album, where he (unlike most songwriters) tries to write songs in different styles. There are some AOR songs on that album, and some melodic hard rockers. Usually easy to distinguish as the latter are just heavier, but not so easy when the songs don't have keys or have a lot of guitar. On the Toby Hitchcock album he was probably asked to write a lot of AOR songs - which is what they are (even "Tear down the Barricades" - which is pretty heavy stuff)...

I like the Toby Hitchcock album. I don't love it as much as most of the HH folk as for my tastes there are lots of good songs without any real killer tunes. And as I may have mentioned about a hundred times already, 'If It's To Be' is my least favourite rock song for about 10 years!

Back on topic - just listened to 'Give A Little More' from the new JSS album and it's growing on me. Quite mellow, but a good song, nice guitar solo and of course great vocals. :tumbsup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only song which doesn't quite stack is the last track & even that is a good track - just not great like the others. JSS has produced a belter here & what's more really listened to his fans to produce a MHR album again

The whole AOR vs Hard rock, or melodic hard rock (or whatever Frontline and Jaded Heart is) doesn't personally work for me at all. End of the day, either a song/album is good or it's not and I can guarantee it's 100% easier to make that decision rather than try to figure out if it's AOR or not. ;)

Eyes debut is my favourite Eyes CD, though I like them all. I'm not sure how I'd rate the Eyes debut against JSS solo discs, but I imagine I probably prefer 'LIT' to the 2nd Eyes disc. I do agree with Dan, though, that the Talisman debut is as good as JSS ever sounded in his career thus far. That and the WET album. He's got plenty of good 'uns out there, though.

The whole AOR vs Hard rock, or melodic hard rock (or whatever Frontline and Jaded Heart is) doesn't personally work for me at all. End of the day, either a song/album is good or it's not and I can guarantee it's 100% easier to make that decision rather than try to figure out if it's AOR or not. ;)

That might work for you, but it helps compare peoples tastes. Like for instance the whole Fair Warning versus Frontline thing. You think FW are rubbish and Frontline are great. You might (arrogantly) argue that FW don't write good songs but Frontline do. However FW are AOR and their song structures are AOR, whereas Frontline are definitely not. Even though some FW songs might actually be heavier, it doesn't change this. I prefer FW's worst album to Frontline's best album. What explains those different tastes, when frankly the bands don't sound an awful lot different?

That might work for you, but it helps compare peoples tastes. Like for instance the whole Fair Warning versus Frontline thing. You think FW are rubbish and Frontline are great. You might (arrogantly) argue that FW don't write good songs but Frontline do. However FW are AOR and their song structures are AOR, whereas Frontline are definitely not. Even though some FW songs might actually be heavier, it doesn't change this. I prefer FW's worst album to Frontline's best album. What explains those different tastes, when frankly the bands don't sound an awful lot different?

Well I dont particularly like either band.......both have some worthwhile tracks for sure, but also a whole bunch of filler IMO. Both way overrated IMO.

Personally JSS (in whatever guise) crucifies both.

Fair Warning are shit live too just to add to the problem :-( Thank God I havent seen Frontline, but cant imagine them being much better.

But the massive problem with an argument like that is that you're kind of saying that if I don't like FW I mustn't like any AOR at all, because the only reason I dislike FW is because they're AOR. And it has nothing to do with the fact that their songs are just bland and samey and uninteresting, imo. ;) Because the fact is, I love a HEAP of AOR. There are probably a few thousand "AOR" CDs in my collection, in fact.

Yeah, I dunno mate. I like anything rock-orientated that can be as light as a boy band to as heavy as these modern metal/screamo bands I listen to. End of the day, all they really have in common is that they write what I consider to be good songs, which usually means a good hook. And if I don't like FW it's because I don't think they write good songs/hooks. It has nothing at all to do with them being AOR, to be totally honest. ;) If they always wrote songs like 'Angels of heaven' and 'Someday,' however, I'd love those mofos.

I think the AOR vs Hard Rock discussion started because I was wondering how on earth I can hate the Eyes albums so much. TIM (2) was just putting forward a theory. I agree that it's all about songs - I don't care whether it's AOR, rock, thrash or even pop, if I like the song, I like the song. However, I find the songs on the Eyes CDs very poor and find this surprising given that everyone else seems to see them as absolute classics. I like the sound the band made, I just found the songs extremely bland and uninteresting. I didn't mean to open a can of worms!

But the massive problem with an argument like that is that you're kind of saying that if I don't like FW I mustn't like any AOR at all, because the only reason I dislike FW is because they're AOR. And it has nothing to do with the fact that their songs are just bland and samey and uninteresting, imo. ;) Because the fact is, I love a HEAP of AOR. There are probably a few thousand "AOR" CDs in my collection, in fact.

Well of course I'm not saying that. I mean, my personal fave music style definitely isn't glam/sleaze but I still love (and own) stuff by Tigertailz/Roxxi/Spread Eagle etc. It's just that my natural fave style is not glam/sleaze, so when I listen to stuff like Crazy Lixx/Crashdiet/latter WigWam stuff and hate all the above it's because I only like the stuff I personally find to have a melodic edge. Same with you and AOR judging by your tastes. Most of your fave bands in this genre are not AOR, they're MHR (Frontline/Casanova/Bonfire etc etc) and I bet the vast majority of your top 50 albums of all-time - if you exclude modern rock/metal - are not AOR. Most of mine would be AOR. Dare "Out of the Silence"/Europe "Out of This World" (your fave is the more MR approach of "Prisoners..")/Bonfire "Fireworks (you prefer the more MHR approach of "Point Blank")/Danger Danger S/T (think you preferred their latter stuff)/Treat "Dreamhunter" (you preffered "Organised Crime"). From all your time posting on here I've always seen you prefer the rockier melodic rock-style bands/albums, and not so much the pure AOR-type stuff. But it's never as clear-cut as saying you don't like AOR, or I don't like MHR, as in a genre as narrow as this one they'll always be crossover...

Well of course I'm not saying that. I mean, my personal fave music style definitely isn't glam/sleaze but I still love (and own) stuff by Tigertailz/Roxxi/Spread Eagle etc. It's just that my natural fave style is not glam/sleaze, so when I listen to stuff like Crazy Lixx/Crashdiet/latter WigWam stuff and hate all the above it's because I only like the stuff I personally find to have a melodic edge. Same with you and AOR judging by your tastes. Most of your fave bands in this genre are not AOR, they're MHR (Frontline/Casanova/Bonfire etc etc) and I bet the vast majority of your top 50 albums of all-time - if you exclude modern rock/metal - are not AOR. Most of mine would be AOR. Dare "Out of the Silence"/Europe "Out of This World" (your fave is the more MR approach of "Prisoners..")/Bonfire "Fireworks (you prefer the more MHR approach of "Point Blank")/Danger Danger S/T (think you preferred their latter stuff)/Treat "Dreamhunter" (you preffered "Organised Crime"). From all your time posting on here I've always seen you prefer the rockier melodic rock-style bands/albums, and not so much the pure AOR-type stuff. But it's never as clear-cut as saying you don't like AOR, or I don't like MHR, as in a genre as narrow as this one they'll always be crossover...

Yep, pretty much agree 100% with that. You've studied me well, petal lips. ;) Nicely explained.

As for trying to explain James' taste in music - well, I'm very fond of you, mate, but I don't think anyone could explain that! ;):lol:

When it comes to JSS I don't think he has topped Eyes - S/T or Kuni - Lookin' For Action IMO. I think he's an awesome singer but for me personally needs someone more focused writing the songs. His solo albums are like a pizza with the lot, he tries to cover all bases which is well and good and obviously an expression of him and what he's into but I just wish he'd lock himself in a room and listen to 80s hard rock non-stop and then record a Margherita.

This guy is a national treasure. I try to keep up with everything JSS lends his voice to but we all know how busy he keeps himself. Pretty tough to keep up with.

The Eyes s/t disc is probably my fave release out of those I've heard. I remember picking it up when it was first released and being instantly hooked!

• 3 weeks later...

Heard this one today too. Impressive disc but like the HEAT disc, I hate to say it didn't knock my balls into the garden shed. All very strong, immaculately played and produced, some really great songs... but I'm not sure this is quite as good as 'LIT.' Very strong album, though, which needs more spins.

I must commend him for some ballsy choices in:

a ) choosing - as far as I'm aware - a group of no name musicians, who all sound excellent

b ) choosing - as far as I'm aware - no name co-songwriters (aside from the track with Jamie Borger). With the banquet of same guys doing the rounds these days, good to see him mix it up

c ) producing the thing himself... immaculately, I might say. I don't know if he's produced any of his CDs before, but this is the first time I noticed it. He might have a career in that if he ever stops recording. The disc sounds excellent.

Heard this one today too. Impressive disc but like the HEAT disc, I hate to say it didn't knock my balls into the garden shed. All very strong, immaculately played and produced, some really great songs... but I'm not sure this is quite as good as 'LIT.' Very strong album, though, which needs more spins.

I must commend him for some ballsy choices in:

a ) choosing - as far as I'm aware - a group of no name musicians, who all sound excellent

b ) choosing - as far as I'm aware - no name co-songwriters (aside from the track with Jamie Borger). With the banquet of same guys doing the rounds these days, good to see him mix it up

c ) producing the thing himself... immaculately, I might say. I don't know if he's produced any of his CDs before, but this is the first time I noticed it. He might have a career in that if he ever stops recording. The disc sounds excellent.

Yeah its probably not quite as good as LITT, but that doesn't stop me loving virtually every song. This is a massive grower as well. 'Die Just A Little' is still virtually my fav track of 2012.....perfect melodic rock.

This is coming in at around the early 80% for me. It's a good disc, but as Geoff says, it isn't exactly setting my world on fire and I've played it a fair few times now. For me, 'Prism' still rules the airwaves when it comes to the best JSS album.

This is coming in at around the early 80% for me. It's a good disc, but as Geoff says, it isn't exactly setting my world on fire and I've played it a fair few times now. For me, 'Prism' still rules the airwaves when it comes to the best JSS album.

Well it certainly contains his best song 'Eyes Of Love'......

I think most of the time the JSS stuff taken song by song are really good stuff. When you put them all on an album they kind of run together a lot of times and the disc just kind of goes along. I would love to see him work with some of the really top writers in the hard rock music biz and see what would happen. I think an album that flows along at kind of the same tempo song after song, whether it be mid tempo or in your face just gets old quick for me. for example, song by song the Pyn Siren album is great. when I have that cd playing on shuffle with 5 other cd's there isn't a bad song on the thing. But when I just listen to the cd straight up it all just blends together and I tire of it pretty quick and can't make it thorugh the whole thing. not enough changes on it for me. JSS has a fantastic voice that I feel gets wasted and would love to see do something with a classic Bon Jovi vibe and flow to it. not an exact copy but kind of like Aldo Nova did with Blood On The Bricks to an extent. a mix of fast rockin', mid tempo and great ballads

I would love to see him work with some of the really top writers in the hard rock music biz and see what would happen.

He did, and the result was the near-immaculate W.E.T. disc. ;)

Personally, I love the new JSS. No fillers and one of the bonus tracks on the deluxe edition is probably my favourite on the album. 'Elena', I'm a sucker for chick name songs. I don't understand why a deluxe edition, just release all the damn tracks. I paid an extra 3$ for this version, I love the 3 bonus tracks, however I couldn't be bothered to watch the DVD and the clips. I remember watching the clips from the W.E.T. release are they were all pretty budget.

Elena is my fave track, too. Glad I kicked in for the deluxe edition. Woulda missed out on it.

I downloaded 'Elena' (itunes) and stuck it on my ipod....the other 2 bonus tracks werent that great, or do I need them too??

I don't understand why a deluxe edition, just release all the damn tracks.

In this day & age, I agree. The digital market negates the need (IMO) for territories & deluxe versions. Just put all the songs on the album.

Or, if you record too many, release the album then release an EP the following year.

Or do what some indie labels do...only put the bonus tracks on the physical version...the digital version is the album only.

Elena is my fave track, too. Glad I kicked in for the deluxe edition. Woulda missed out on it.

I downloaded 'Elena' (itunes) and stuck it on my ipod....the other 2 bonus tracks werent that great, or do I need them too??

Elena is essential for sure, one of my top tracks so far this year.

Take U Down is a shred fest and has a great chorus...you need it.

Afraid To Die is more modern, yet freaking excellent, If you liked his Beautiful Mess from a few years back you'll love this track.

To me this album is solid all the way through.

• 1 month later...

OK, its a bit of a shame that this topic has slipped to the second page and no-one is talking about this album anymore, so here's a little summary to spark some chat on what is a great album IMO.

What pleases me most about this is that he's a guy who listens to his fans - there was a lot of backlash following 'Beautiful Mess' because of its style and here he is back with a 'bonafide' melodic hard rock album.

In (short) summary -

1. Give A Little More - solid melodic rocker with huge groove (8.0)

2. Damage Control - more of the same but a step up in quality, got to say that his vocals sound a million $ (8.25)

3. Look Inside Your Heart - big journey influenced medium paced rocker, with a nice chorus hook (8.75)

4. Die A Little - melodic perfection ala Harem Scarem (10)

5. If I Never Let He Go - nice ballad but he's capable of better (7.5)

6. Tears That I Cry - first time I hear a strong LITT influence, big uptempo melodic number with cool chorus..slightly overlong (9.25)

7. Bona Fide - very nice ballad - classic JSS - perfect solo (9.0)

8. Krazy World - groove is back, solid rocker..great verses and neat solo (8.0)

9. How To Love Again - melodic intro, stop/start verse, that classic sounding LITT styled pre-chorus, probably the best chorus on the album. Flawless and crazy good solo (10)

10. After World - rifftastic rocker, but needs a bigger hook. off the chart solo (8.25)

11. Never Ending War - ending on a serious note..a slow burner but is that a great hook i detect in the chorus? yep. beautiful piece of melody & what a solo (8.50)

Hugely consistent album without filler and 2 absolute gems along the way :tumbsup:

OVERALL : 86%

Bonus Tracks - to be honest Id only download Elena

1. Elena - great melodic bllad (9.0)

2. Take U Down - mofo riffage, solid rocker, with a good solo (8.5)

3. Afraid To Die - very modern in sound, no discernable hook. Decent but not great (6.0)