Lady Gaga

heavyharmonies

Maybe this belongs in the "guilty pleasures" thread... :unsure::anon:

I tend to avoid things that are mainstream and/or "in vogue", so I never really listened to Lady Gaga, thinking she was another loony "performance artist" ala Bjork.

Am just now listening to her last album "Born this Way", and damned if most of it isn't pop/techno straight out of the mid-late 1980s. There are a few oddball outliers, but most of it is stuff I can easily envision having had videos on MTV back in its heyday.

MUCH better than I was expecting. Certainly not HH material, but actually quite well done.

-Dan

Well said, a little appreciation for something good outside of our beloved rock, not my cup of tea but some songs I like.

• My Little Pony

I actually play a bit of Gaga, when I DJ parties, but I always find a remix first. I probably listen to more pop music than the rest of you, but I'm not a fan of her.

It's a cross between vintage Madonna and the Eurythmics, with just a dash of Erasure thrown in for good measure.

EDIT: Actually, the more I listen to this, many of the styles and riffs are COMPLETELY lifted from Madonna's material. Like shamelessly so.

A lot of songs in the pop/dance genre lately have reminded me why I first got into hard rock in the 80's. They are catchy, good hooks, talk about partying and getting lucky...something our music has been lacking IMO. Not sure why it's so taboo for a hard rock band to put out an album with a sexy scantily clad girl on the cover with songs dealing with sex and booze and rock n roll nowadays.

Whenever Lady Gaga comes up in conversation I always hear Madonna comparisons, but she reminds me more of Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons. They share an affinity for truly bizarre clothing and neither one can sing really well. Gaga definitely learned how to market herself from Madonna tho.

When she gets naked...only then will I listen to her music :)

I'll pass. I'm always hearing she's either a guy dressed as a woman...or has both male and female parts. :yikes:

I'm diggin' the two rock version of her songs, Paparazzi and Bad Romance, well I think the album might not be bad at all, but yeah, could be a good pot Dan been smokin' there, he should share some here :D

I wouldnt buy her music, but whenever I see her perform live on a chat show or awards thingys, im always intrigued....she's obviously got talent both musically and creatively.

The new album's not bad actually. "The Edge of Glory" and "Hair" are pure 80's pop/rock, and she sure knows how to write a hooky chorus...

Songs like Poker face and Bad romance, among others, are pure pop masterpieces, just like they used to write in the good old days.

I dont like all of her stuff, and certainly isnt an artist I would go out of my way to buy or see, but you cannot fault her for how she has picked up the mantle of the likes of Madonna and Deborah Harry, and just turned it inside out.

Certainly a damn sight better than all the manufactured shite we have had to endure for years, X-Factor shite, cookie cutter RnB artists and black guys who all think they are gangstas and white boys who think they are black.

When she gets naked...only then will I listen to her music :)

I'll pass. I'm always hearing she's either a guy dressed as a woman...or has both male and female parts. :yikes:

Backed. If she gets nude the only thing I'm reaching for is a chainsaw. Then, maybe when the head's gone we can begin to negotiate.

Anyway, to the thread. Whilst I wouldn't spend the time checking out one of her albums, I find some of the stuff I hear on the radio from her does have quite strong hooks. Stuff like this was actually a big inspiration for my 'I love covers of modern pop songs' thread. Because a few of these whores... uh, girls, do know their way around a really catchy pop song. I love Halestorm's cover of the Gaga song.

As I said, I have no desire to check out any of their actual albums, but f*ck me if that Katy Perry slut... uh, girl, doesn't also record songs with monster hooks. Try and tell me you've not found yourself singing along to that 'Firework' song at some point, assuming it's as saturated in the media where you are as it is in Australia. But quite a few of her songs I also find extremely catchy.

As they are, I'm not really interested, but if hard rock bands are looking for cover songs, I hope they look at these shielas.

Not sure I see the 'looks like a man' thing, but certainly not at all attractive imo. Clothes on, please!

Not sure I see the 'looks like a man' thing, but certainly not at all attractive imo. Clothes on, please!

Well here she is a couple days ago at the MTV VMA awards...

lady_gaga_vma_opener_getty122720300.jpg