Lonnie Holdaway and the Hurricane CD reissues scam

So there I was, driving home from work, when a cop pulled me over and said, "I clocked you doing 48 in a 30 mile per hour zone. Care to explain yourself?"

Thinking quickly, I replied, "The Ramirez brothers made me do it."

I then sat there for 10 minutes while the officer wrote me a ticket. Oh well, it was worth a try...

Nice! :rofl2:

Backed.

:rofl2:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though... if Lon is to be believed, why not just come out and say that he fucked up and would refund everyone's money?? At least he'd be able to salvage some of his reputation. The "accident" bullshit and subsequent excuses just make him look guilty as hell. I, for one, ain't buyin' it. <_< Too bad I DID buy a disc! :doh:

Whatever... it's done. I just want my damn refund. :angry:

just lodged a dispute with my bank, and they are lodging a dispute with paypal to reverse the transactions I made. I urge others to do the same if they are in a similar boat. I work hard for my $$$ and to pay my mortgage so to me every dollar counts, so losing $US100 just cuts deep. Every now and then I treat my self to a few discs, and this was one of those treats. Pity it's turned out the way it has. Unfortunately for me that is 2 transactions in a row with 2 major dealers that have turned sour. The other (who shall remain nameless) is trying to fix our deal, so I'll give hm the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

Funnily enough the bank said they would not touch the case if it was involved with an ebay transaction (which I'm guessing 99% of paypal transactions are) but since it was a non-ebay transaction they would investigate.

This whole situation is just f***ed up...

If Lon is not the main perpertrator of this scheme then he has been majorly shafted, although if he was the source of this scam then he deserves all that is coming. Personally I'm hoping to hear that he is not the originator of the whole plot, and that I get my Hurricane cash back, and the Poison cds arrive in my letter box tomorrow.

Also, the thing I am wondering is that if you're pulling a scam of this nature, why didn't Lon present his collection to more potential buyers, saying he was clearing it out because he was so busy with the new label... then he could have got $1000's from all kinds of people, offering rare CDs from a dud list?

Well, we don't exactly know everyone he tried to scam. I would say he did offer it to more than we know.

On a side now, was that THOMMY guy having a go at me? :lol:

Yes, that's why I asked him who the fuck he was. His first post shouldn't be in this thread.....

Okay, looks like he may actually have made offers to quite a few people according to recent posts. Guess he must have known about my financial status because I new got one. :( I would love to know an exact $$$ amount as to what he "made" from this whole scam.

Yeah, I thought you picked up on the Thommy thing too. What the hell was that about? Apparently I called something awesome I shouldn't have? I didn't understand him but was curious as to what his intention was. :lol:

Geoff-You don't understand the intention????

You call someone awesome and the whole story here shows that you probably would have bought a Hurricane CD there and never thought it could not be official (as well as the Stage Dolls example showed)

The fact that most guys here know a (once respected) person like Lon does not make every dream of

a CD to be reissued an official one.

Again-I still wonder how easy you can catch people (and getting pre-orders) through saying that Major Label Rarities (like Hurricane) will be re-released officially through a small unknown label????

Anyway-the idea was good-thrilling effect and probably the caution NOW :fu: raised!

by a

• 2023 Gold Donors
Seriously though... if Lon is to be believed, why not just come out and say that he fucked up and would refund everyone's money?? At least he'd be able to salvage some of his reputation. The "accident" bullshit and subsequent excuses just make him look guilty as hell. I, for one, ain't buyin' it. <_< Too bad I DID buy a disc! :doh:

:agree:

Lovid spells/types pretty good for a person in ICU? :angry: And as Delbert pointed out, which one is the one typing/posting or is it both..at the same time...on the same computer....ah. hell....nevermind! :taz:

:agree:

Lovid spells/types pretty good for a person in ICU? :angry: And as Delbert pointed out, which one is the one typing/posting or is it both..at the same time...on the same computer....ah. hell....nevermind! :taz:

He's already admitted that the accident was a lie. We figured out the ICU/typing/cell phone call/MySpace thing a while ago.... Welcome aboard :P:lol:

Hang tough Lonnie and i hope all will be well for you and your familly at this terrible time and i hope your recovery is fast and your back here soon fighting fit.

All the best mate :drink:

I wish i was told that when my wife's father had been involved in a serious car accident a few years ago that it too had been one big lie like this, but unfortunately it was not and his injuries were that bad, he died at the scene.

For you to come up with that just goes to show you are a fuckin' low life and you better pray like hell mate that it does not happen to somone you love cause your life changes forever.

Valentine have confirmed to me personally that the re-issue is unauthorized and that they are taking steps in regards to this.

Jim Jidhed has been notified as have copyright holder Virgin, so they will comment hopefully later tonight.

Members of Hurricane have not even heard of the song titles listed as bonus tracks on their re-issues.

Regards,

Andrew.

The fact that these bonus tracks don't appear to even exist makes the whole hoax even worse. Why oh why would you invest money & allow strangers access to your paypal account & then not even inspect the final product at any stage. Or enquire about how it looks/sounds, or even (as a HURRICANE fan himself) want to hear those bonus tracks as soon as they became available. Regardless of the business side of things, I'd wanna hear those damn bonus tracks ASAP! Not to mention the comments around "I phoned/spoke to Jay & he wants to re:press a further 500 copies...." etc. You can only assume that Lon/David just left the whole thing entirely to this 3rd party & allowed them full use of their HH relationships, paypal address, website etc. Despite it being Lon's own reputation that was being put on the line. Naive in the extreme.

On the previous issue of how Lon built his reputation here, I think we ought to apologise to fellow-Brit Rockhead/Nick who had trading issues with him last year & posted here but was vilified by one & all who jumped in to defend Lon. He's hardly posted here since & I think that's been a shame. I'm personally disappointed I didn't side with him on that one...

Wow I just spent an HOUR reading this.

SO much I wanna say but I know I'll forget stuff.

For starters thank God I didnt place any order. Even after he PM me saying "if you want one signed HURRY I only have a handful left". Haha nice try sucker......to bad signed CD's dont mean shit to me. I could careless, and actually prefer my stuff unsigned unless it comes with a certificate of authenticity and even then you cant always be so sure.

Secondly......and I mean no disrespect to any of the collectors, or sellers on here. I personally cant stand the trading "collecting" market.

I used to be really into needing an original.....but in todays technological world, its easy to be fooled. There are so many godamn bootleg sites, and scams with bootleg reissues its a freakin joke.

I would never spend 100s on a CD nowadays. Its to easy to be scammed.

Ive fallen victim to a few bootlegs mysepf but luckily I never spent more than 20 or 30 bucks, and hey I guess I paid for a fancy CD-R. I'll live.

This is why I'll always prefer the TRADING and SHARING scene. Theres some awesome private FTP's where people come together and share this great music.

I see nothing wrong with sharing OUT OF PRINT music, and support it 100%. It should be about the MUSIC but sadly when people start realizing how rabid fans are, they start to exploit it, and create a buying/collecting frenzy.

To be honest 80% of the stuff I see hyped here time and time again, is nothing but pure shit. Crappy productions, and mediocre to semi decent songs.....all fetching anywhere from 80-600 bucks. Very few have stood up to the hype IMO (St Warren, Know Illusion, Syder, Kidd Wicked are a few exceptions), and I always laugh.

Anyways just be cautious ALWAYS. Theres A LOT of this going on, and if you dont mind taking the chance....hey your money.

Me? I'll stick to the good ole CD-R/Mp3's unless its something I can pick up at a reasonable price (30-50 bucks tops)

Anyways.......this had to be the most retarded scam Ive seen yet. He didnt think word would eventually get out? Ive seen these CD's posted EVERYWHERE!! CD Inzane, Impulse Music, AOR Heaven obviously, and a couple other places. OUCH.

Only reissue I was interested in was KNOW ILLUSION, but Im happy with my CD-R. I dont trust a shit with any of these freakin resissues anymore.

Ive read this will make the forum a closer family...... it has only made me lose yet more respect for the scene.

Lon, sorry, but I can't believe your story.

1. You just can't spin a long series of lies, and then expect us to suddenly believe "the truth". Credibility doesn't work that way.

2. You were silent for far too long before coming on here with your little "I was scammed too" scenerio. Did you spend all that time constructing this elaborate alibi? Your lack of specifics (the name of this Memphis promotion company, for example) sure doesn't help your cause.

3. Nobody as passionate as you for a Hurricane reissue would have taken the UPS box at face value without opening it. It's like directing your first movie and then never reviewing the final cut.

PS Next time you talk to the Ramirez boys, tell them a big Red Sox fan up here in Canada wants to get an autograph from their brother, Manny. ;)

How to lose all respect, credibilty and cover it up with more lies 101. Seems Lon could teach that class. What a fiasco!!

With this thread, I haven't read this much since the last Harry Potter book. Crazy stuff!!

Hi again

I will be giving to Lonnie the benefit of doubt about my case (only), I said him/David by email. If I receive the package with all cds that we agreed, I will post here a message, and will close the dispute through Paypal. I really hope now he is telling the truth, at least at this moment.

Many of you know me, I don´t have any interest in receive the cds and the money back. It´s not right. I will also wait for the refund for the Hurricance cds.

I want to thank you all my friends here that were trying to help me, specially Tony "Koogles", I think he gave a good idea for future discussions, to Dan, Jim, Michael, Paulo, Jarred & other friends.

I will not judge Lonnie´s acts, he knows he is totally wrong. I am sure the life will show him the right way.

all the best

Adriano - adboimel@uol.com.br

Hi again

I will be giving to Lonnie the benefit of doubt about my case (only), I said him/David by email. If I received the package with all cds that we agreed, I will post here a message, and will close the dispute through Paypal. I really hope now he is telling the truth.

Many of you know me, I don´t have any interest in receive the cds and the money back. It´s not right. I will also wait for the refund for the Hurricance cds. Any news, I´ll let you know.

I want to thank you all my friends here that were trying to help me, specially Tony "Koogles", I think he gave a good idea for future discussions, to Dan, Jim, Michael, Paulo, Jarred & other friends.

I will not judge Lonnie´s acts, he knows he is totally wrong. I am sure the life will show him the right way.

all the best

Good luck Adriano. Hopefully, you'll get what you paid for.

Well, I can say that Lonnie has finally re-opened the lines of communication with me (still unclear as to why they broke down in the first place). That, along with his attempts to refund those who he owes money to, is at least a step in the right direction.

Well, I can say that Lonnie has finally re-opened the lines of communication with me (still unclear as to why they broke down in the first place). That, along with his attempts to refund those who he owes money to, is at least a step in the right direction.

good, I hope everyone gets their money back, but if he asks for more preorder money for his Journey - Escape "reissue" I would CLOSE those lines of communication quickly....lol.... :P

I don't think many here believe he can ever "make things right" at this point. No matter the final outcome... most here are bothered by the fact that he continued to lie (even if his version has any truth to it). In a way you gotta feel sorry for him. If he planned the whole hoax...just sick :puke: If he only started covering up... he is a cronic liar with no self esteem. I mean...a car accident. Either way, I wouldn't wanna wake up each day and look in the mirror.

I guess he'll pay one way or another in the end.

Valentine have confirmed to me personally that the re-issue is unauthorized and that they are taking steps in regards to this.

Jim Jidhed has been notified as have copyright holder Virgin, so they will comment hopefully later tonight.

Members of Hurricane have not even heard of the song titles listed as bonus tracks on their re-issues.

Regards,

Andrew.

The fact that these bonus tracks don't appear to even exist makes the whole hoax even worse. Why oh why would you invest money & allow strangers access to your paypal account & then not even inspect the final product at any stage. Or enquire about how it looks/sounds, or even (as a HURRICANE fan himself) want to hear those bonus tracks as soon as they became available. Regardless of the business side of things, I'd wanna hear those damn bonus tracks ASAP! Not to mention the comments around "I phoned/spoke to Jay & he wants to re:press a further 500 copies...." etc. You can only assume that Lon/David just left the whole thing entirely to this 3rd party & allowed them full use of their HH relationships, paypal address, website etc. Despite it being Lon's own reputation that was being put on the line. Naive in the extreme.

On the previous issue of how Lon built his reputation here, I think we ought to apologise to fellow-Brit Rockhead/Nick who had trading issues with him last year & posted here but was vilified by one & all who jumped in to defend Lon. He's hardly posted here since & I think that's been a shame. I'm personally disappointed I didn't side with him on that one...

Well put...I'm sure I made a comment or two so allow me..............I'm sorry guys.

JL

Hi again

I will be giving to Lonnie the benefit of doubt about my case (only), I said him/David by email. If I receive the package with all cds that we agreed, I will post here a message, and will close the dispute through Paypal. I really hope now he is telling the truth, at least at this moment.

Many of you know me, I don´t have any interest in receive the cds and the money back. It´s not right. I will also wait for the refund for the Hurricance cds.

all the best

This is a perfect example for Lonnie to follow & why Adriano may be the most respected person in the HH community.

JL

Well I guess the moral of the story here is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you know who you're buying from. I've bought cdrs from Lon before so I'm just as naive as the rest of you. Fortunately he never ripped ME off. From now on this will only make me more cautious as to who I buy from online.

More from Melodicrock.com

HURRICANE RE-ISSUE UPDATE:

Still a lot developing in regards to the re-issues proposed by a label called RnR Records. It seems the Hurricane and other re-issues have already been withdrawn as those involved scramble behind the scenes. Again I have been in contact with Kelly Hansen and Jay Schellen of Hurricane, who are completely unaware of these re-issues and will give me any update they have ASAP. I was told though, that the band had not even heard of the titles of the songs listed as bonus tracks.

The only other update I have today is word from Valentine's Gerard Zappa, who adds: "It definitely seems to be some sort of scam as they are mentioning songs that are being "added" to the album, yet they are not even our songs."

Stay tuned...

Quote from Lon on the Record Labels thread:-

NEXT UP, OUR LATEST SIGNING............. VALENTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT THE BAND LED BY NONE OTHER THAN HUGO.......HUGO IS DEFINATELY A UNIQUE PERSON AND EVERYTHING HAD TO BE RIGHT....OBTAINING THE RIGHTS TO LICENSE AND RELEASE THIS ONE WAS NO EASY TASK EITHER, AS WE WENT THRU ALOT OF RED TAPE BUT FINALLY WE CAN ANNOUNCE IT........THE REISSUE IS GOING TO FEATURE 4 NEVER BEFORE RELEASED BONUS TRACKS, AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY I DO NOT KNOW HOW THESE DID NOT MAKE THE ORIGINAL RELEASE.......YOU CAN EXPECT A LATE APRIL RELEASE......PRE-ORDER'S ARE AVAILABLE ON THE SITE....... www.freewebs.com/lrc72316 ........

Please tell me if I'm being stupidly naive on this, but when he says: "I can honestly say I do not know how these (the bonus tracks) did not make the original release" - is he talking out of his arse? I was personally more excited about this than Hurricane & hope sincerely that there are some bonus tracks & that they do get released. And that bassist Gerrard Zappa - quoted on Melodicrock.com as saying he'd never heard of any of the songtitles - was just off sick the day they recorded them?!

Guest Axe-Machine

Wow! Just spent God knows how long reading this and all I can say is that I'm so sorry for those of you who spent alot of money that this guy is now living off. There's no way I believe the Ramierez Brothers story, as if they transferred the money from Lonnie's account, surely PayPal or Lonnie would have the account details as to where it went, allowing him to find these 'untracable' brothers. This is all conjecture of course, as there never were any Ramierez Brothers in my opinion...just a guy looking to make a quick buck, without realising the implications of it until it was too late. Once his lies were laid bare and people started to report to the Police and PayPal, all his former friends got was his version of damage control bullshit.

I sincerely do hope everyone gets their money back.

Best Wishes,

Gareth (Axe Machine)

He's only digging himself into a deeper hole by saying anything. I suspect this will be the last we see a post from him. His attempt at gaining some sympathy to possibly alleviate or delay any of victim's pursuit of justice failed....

Now it's up to those that were screwed to pursue this to seek justice. We'll just have to see what happens....

You may be right. Once everyone pointed out the lies in this story, he grew silent.

My brain hurts from reading all of this. What a train wreck!!

(Moving on to another thread now...)

LON early Sep 2006

But to add to this topic, try reissuing a Major Label release......Now that is real fun and costs a whole lot more than a couple of G's.......But with the help of some financial backers(((WHY DID THEY ASK HIM FOR MONEY VIA PAYPAL IF THEY WHERE THE BACKERS))) who believe in the music etc, we were able to secure the rights to all 3 Hurricane releases......If you want to talk figures, right off the top there was $8000 for the rights, then there was $5000 to band members off the top, so right off the bat without the cd even being pressed there is $13000.......Then when add the price of remastering, adding tracks etc, plus the initial pressing, just the cost will be over $16000......Luckily it didn't cost me an arm and a leg for the Live release seeing how it was never officially released, and only had to be remastered and bonus tracks added along with the artwork......And in the end, the royalties paid will be way more than a $1 or $2.......that is just robbery......