__________ is my favourite band ever because ___________...

Geoff

Hey guys,

There's probably a million variations on this post on every site, in every kitchen and on every wombat's back, but I want to know - from every member if possible :) - who is your favourite band of all time... and the reasons why. I know it's hard to pick one (Trust me, I have about 20 that could fill the top spot and I hate to leave Treat, Danger Danger, Vain etc. from my post) but give it a go, with some cool reasons please. Thanks.

I'll start it off with a band you'd never guess from me :blink:

CAUTERIZE is my favourite band ever because, although I only got their debut, 'So far from real' in 2003, and with this year's 'Paper wings' they have only recorded 2 albums (also 2 brilliant albums as the band T.O.E. but this is just Cauterize I speak of) the quality of these 2 discs is compelling to me.

I own CDs from bands which are completely filler free, but there is not one band that I have 2 consecutive releases from where not only do I love every song, but I think every song is an absolute materpeice. Every single song on 'So far from real' blows my mind, and the sincere, heartfelt delivery and lyrics, IMO, is second to none. I have just never heard a band so musically solid with lyrics to match, if not over-shadow.

And 'Paper wings' merely continues from where 'So far from real' left off. Absolutely mind-blowing lyrics again, covering many more places than the debut... such deep, personal lyrics I just don't hear elsewhere. As I've stated before, he (Jesse) leaves nothing withheld and is as good a writer as I ever recall seeing. 'Porcelain' remains my song of the year, and about 6 songs ('Porcelain', 'Why this last dance', 'Closer', 'Tremble' etc.) are the best songs I ever recall hearing. Overall, of the 23 songs on the 2 discs, there would probably be about 15 in my top 20 of all time.

... And that's why Cauterize is my favourite band. :) Now, who's yours and why? Hopefully your answer's not as long as mine because that's really boring :D

Hey Geoff... I'll play along...

You are right... this isn't easy... I can tell you my top 3... and I will then tell you my favourite band...

Most here can probably guess one of them...of course, it's KIX. I'd have to also list Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and Cheap Trick in the top 3. Luck for me, 2 of these bands are still together and the other has been doing quite a few reunion shown in my area. KIX has 3 more reunion shows lined up for December...

OK... here it goes... from #3 down to #1..

#3 Cheap Trick

#2 KIX (surprised?)

#1 Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

The reason I choose Joan Jett and the Blackhearts is based on her attitude toward her music along with her business savoy. The band that I credit for shaping my musical direction is the Runaway, and Joan was the driving force behind that band. After the break up of that band, she continued to believe in what she was doing... and pushed forward with her music. After being turned down by about 20 record labels, she decided to start her own and put out her album. Her self released debut became one of the best selling of all time. Soon after, all those record companies who had just turned her down a year earlier were knocking her door down. Her debut self released album was then re-issued on a major label.

The Blackhearts tour constantly and give 100% every night they play. When you go see the Blackhearts live, you know you will get what you pay for and more. After just about every show Joan and the band will hang around to sign autographs and take photos with whoever wants.

On the business side, Joan was one of the first artists to OWN the rights to her songs... she was smart enough to make sure record companies wouldn't screw her over... pretty smart for someone in the very early 80's. To this day Joan has say when and where her songs are used.

Bottom line.... The reason I choose Joan Jett and the Blackhearts is RESPECT.

I total respect how both the music and the business is handled. The combination of these has contributed to her longevity... Lucky for me.

* Actually all of my top 3 bands I have alot of respect for.

I was shocked when I went to a KIX show and they announced that this would be the last time that they would ever be on the same stage together. Amazing how much music means to people.... after the shock came depression.... I walked around with my head down for weeks.

Nice post Geoff!

I have to go for Aerosmith

I got into them around October 1977 when I was 15 and they just rocked the f*ck outta my world (I was into stuff like the Eagles and Tangerine Dream up to that point). Although there are loads of bands that I love from around the same period 1994, Starz, The Godz, Gamma e.t.c. this was the band that provided the soundtrack for my adolesence and really got me away from soft rock to hard rock. It was the band I fought tooth and claw for against the sneers of my peer group who said they were washed up even then....a statement that never seems to have gone away actually ... see recent Flamefest topic. The only other Aerosmith fan I knew at the time was a guy called Steve who lived the other side of Manchester!! But they have outlasted most of the bands around at that time and have probably been more successful than many of them in the long run too and so have justified my faith in 'em.

I loved the sound the band had just good and raw and great riffs no overlong boring guitar solo's. I always felt special when I put my one and only (at the time) Aerosmith shirt on that my sister had sent across from Canada. I lovingly embroidered the wings on the back of my denim jacket.

Rocks is still my all time favourite album and I know I've mentioned this somewhere on the site before but it was sooo sweet when I bumped into one of the old punks who at school used to take the piss outta me for liking them. She had an Aerosmith shirt on and commented how she remembered me being into them and that she had personally always liked the band. Pah!

Just a footnote for LV KIX - I went through the same feelings when after Night in the Ruts there was rumours that Aerosmith would split...devastated but then there was the announcement about a month or two later that they would soldier on. I was also on a downer when I heard Kix had split as they are another of my fave bands! At least they do the occassional gig now glad you got to see 'em again you lucky lucky chap! :)

okay, before I plunge and download some CAUTERIZE out of sheer curiousity, would you mind telling me if it is grunge/alterantive/nu metal, please?

Please be honest :)

Hey mate, go to purevolume.com and type in Cauterize and I believe they have some samples there. It's not grunge or alternative and I wouldn't call it nu-metal, but I get so lost in the terminology of it all.

It is modern music, with slight punk backgrounds (on 'So far from real'). The term nu-breed could be used to describe them. I prefer modern melodic hard rock or something like that. If you know SR-71, there are similarities there.

FYI, Emerald Rain's Murray Diagle produced both discs.

They are heavy, in your face and you must have a taste for modern stuff to enjoy them. Am not sure of your tastes, but if you enjoy anything modern, they're an essential band to check out, IMO. :)

I think there's little doubt as to who I would choose. Any band with Butch Walker in it (Southgang, M3, does solo count)?

As far as the music, though, that's a rough one. When I take a band in to account for my "favorite" band, there's usually more than their catalog of music that I consider. What about shows I've attended of theirs? (Chances are, if you're a band, you don't have much of a shot at being my fave if I haven't seen you live. Harem Scarem is the only one that has a shot.) Live shows, along with consistency, level, diversity (while still being good), and volume of work all play a role in it.

Based on that, I'd probably have to go with Def Leppard. ZO2 would be a close #2 (and probably maybe number one right NOW, not overall). Poison would also be up there. Silvertide too. (Maybe even TSO.)

As far as bands that I've never seen, probably Danger Danger or Tattoo Rodeo. Maybe Jaded Heart. But, it could probably change just by listening to more discs. (In this category of bands whose shows I've never seen.)

My favourite artist remains Tori Amos but of HH stuff?

Early days Zep and Whitesnake. Live in the heart of the city was the album which really got me into rock. I saw the snake live a few times and Coverdale is one of the greats. Sadly their latter day material has tailed off in quality and I don't listen so much any more. Zep remain a firm favourite but there's only a few thousand times you can listen to the same songs.

These days, John Waite and all his bands (Baby's , Bad English). The quality of his output over such a long period I find quite astonishing. The last albums have not quite hit the spot for me but in the right mood are still pretty listenable. We used Act of Love during our wedding reception. A rock song my wife likes, we had to play it.

Catching up these days is Cheap Trick. I bought a few albums years ago and really enjoyed them but I just started listening again a few months ago. I've now got hold of more of their stuff and continue to be massivly impressed. Standing on the Edge is , in my opinion , a truly great album and there just seem to be so many more with similar quality. Give me a few more months listening and they could be no 1.

Guns N Roses Will ALWAYS be my favorite and I could care less what Anyone thinks of Axl Rose. The guys owned the damn world in there TIME. They will always Be known as one of the Biggest Bands Ever :). Ya Axle has his Personal Problems as Well as we all do. His just cant be hid like the rest of US. and becuase He could sing just about Anything and it sounded GOOD.

As much as I love the music of Royal Hunt I have to saw my all time favorite band has got to be DEEP PURPLE. They have been around a long long time. Have such a large catalog of music. And have had many different members. All of them making the music that much more interesting and different. :banger:

Nearly Impossible question for me to answer i'm afraid. Have been thinking about this for days, without coming to a firm conclusion. So I will list my top picks and let you decide!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toto

Asia

Journey

Kim Mitchell

The Babys

Saga

Cheap Trick

New England

It Bites

Most of my all-time fave discs were one-offs, that the band in question just never managed to get near again (i.e, DARE - Out of the Silence, KING OF HEARTS - S/T, METROPOLIS - Power of the Night, TREAT - Dreamhunter, DANGER DANGER - S/T, TNT - Intuition, EUROPE - Out of this World, etc etc). But if you're talking about one band that consistently delivered the goods then - as much as it pains me to leave out the likes of BAD HABIT, SKAGARACK, HAREM SCAREM, TOTO, JOURNEY, SURVIVOR, CHICAGO - I'd go with:-

FAIR WARNING

Def Leppard. Why? Because they're f*ckin' awesome, that's why.

They brought me back from the depths of country music (such sad....sad songs, I was almost suicidal! :blink: ) into the heat of Rock again.

From there, of course there's Tyketto, Hardline, Jaded Heart, GOTTHARD.......but without Def Lepp peaking my interest again, I never would have even HEARD of any of those bands......(yes, I do live under a rock....lol)....no telling where I would be now.

So yeah.....it will always be Def Leppard for me.

:dance: "DO YA WANNA GET ROCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKED???" :dance:

This is my list of my favorite albums. Technically you could say that it's my favorite bands. There isn't one band on that list who has released what I could call multiple masterpieces. The stuff after Appetite wasn't masterpieces so even GN'R couldn't fit the criteria. At one time I thought Kix would fit because of Midnite Dynamite and Blow My Fuse. For some reason I just can't get into Blow My Fuse like I did. I love bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Journey but I just can't justify calling any of them my favorite bands either. All of them have the same problem with consistency and I don't really listen to much of them any more.

At any rate the bands and albums I listed still stand the test of time. They're all masterpieces in my eyes and I can't narrow it down any further.

Nearly Impossible question for me to answer i'm afraid. Have been thinking about this for days, without coming to a firm conclusion. So I will list my top picks and let you decide!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toto

Asia

Journey

Kim Mitchell

The Babys

Saga

Cheap Trick

New England

It Bites

A fine choice. Glad to see there's another It Bites fan on the boards.

Hey Geoff... I'll play along...

You are right... this isn't easy... I can tell you my top 3... and I will then tell you my favourite band...

For me, it is very easy... LED ZEP. Why? Because they started the whole d#!* thing. As I wrote on another thread, it was debatable whether Jeff Beck's TRUTH or LED ZEP's 1st was the very first Heavy Metal album. But clearly, it was Zep's because Page's electrified blues was more deeper and LOUDER than Jeff Beck's. And Zep was the reason why bands like Queen and Aerosmith were signed in the early 70s because record labels saw how much money Zep was pouring in to Atlantic (Led Zep IV is still in the top 4 biggest selling album of all time!!!). Was also one of the very first (not the first, though. One of them was the Beatles) to incorporate world music (their Celtic, Indian and Arabic influences) into western music. Hard rock bands incorporating classical, indian (by using sitar, electric sitar), arabic, reggae got their cue from them. Anything more cool than that?

At first, i thought this was impossible to answer. Atleast 10 names popped up in my head the moment i saw this thread. But then, it eventually boiled down to the band that introduced me to the world of rock n' roll.... Bon Jovi. Yes, Bon Jovi! I probably might be the only one to quote the band as a favourite, but i ain't hidin' my face!

There are various reasons for my choice. The first being, as MJ said about Def Leppard, if it weren't for Bon Jovi, i wouldn't have known about the other 80's bands at all.

Secondly, they have some brilliant albums, including two of the biggest for the genre - "Slippery When Wet" and "New Jersey". Their debut and follow-up are also exceptional, and then there's "Keep The Faith", another gem. I also love "These Days", for it has got me through some tough times and hence is a personal favourite, apart from the fact that the album portrays excellent musicianship.

I know that their last 3 studio albums have disappointed (though i have not listened to "Have A Nice Day" enough times to judge it and i did like moments from "Crush" and "Bounce"), but my choice remains. Six great albums plus sentimental value are enough reasons to make Bon Jovi my favourite band!

:drink:

Bon Jovi. Yes, Bon Jovi!

You are still ok in my book! Bon Jovi did and still does put out good music. Maybe not to the degree of the S/T or Slippery but good rock indeed. I love the lead track off the new one and Unbreakable. :lol:

My favourtie band ever is MAGNUM.

Why? Well, I don't know the exact answer, but here is a list of facts and some thoughts about it:

I heard the first sounds from their "On a storyteller's night", more specifically, the intro to "How far Jerusalem", the opening track, at a time when I was just discovering melodic hard rock. And better of the kind hasn't been made.

Then their next album came along. "Vigilante". And I rejoiced at the album and the sound. Really loved the songs on there. I started backtracking, and by a stroke of luck, even the really old records sat well with me. Here I was, 14 years old, and had just opened this treasure chest that gave me so much happiness and inspiration.

You can't beat that. It went deep into my soul. The fact that I STILL like every new album they put out does no harm. Neither did meeting Tony Clarkin himself at Mad Hat Music, during the mastering sessions for our debut album this summer. What a nice guy! And he started asking me how we'd "managed to get that acoustic guitar sound?"!!!!!!! I was trying very hard to give an impression of professionalism, but probably didn't succeed. I met their bass player there, too, but when I stood face to face with the keyboardist, Mark Stanway, I almost started to cry...

*BLUSH*

I've been a keyboard fanatic for the duration of my life as a fan of music at all, so... He's THE man, you know.

So, that's it. I just can't help it. The bottom line is: THE SONGS and THE TIMING.

Def Leppard.  Why?  Because they're f*ckin' awesome, that's why.

For the purpose of this site I'll go for Def Leppard too, with Pretty Maids following very close.

Otherwise in grand general I'd go with Iron Maiden or Judas Priest

Hey mate, go to purevolume.com and type in Cauterize and I believe they have some samples there. It's not grunge or alternative and I wouldn't call it nu-metal, but I get so lost in the terminology of it all.

It is modern music, with slight punk backgrounds (on 'So far from real'). The term nu-breed could be used to describe them. I prefer modern melodic hard rock or something like that. If you know SR-71, there are similarities there.

Thanks man. I checked the samples and agree with you - they are some sort of modern post-punk. Not my cup of tea, but at least dont irritate me as limp bizkit to say, so they must be good :)

Just on the Bon Jovi thing too... they were the first band I ever heard in the genre and also were the single band that got me interested in all of the hard rock titles I have. If not for Bon Jovi I would not have the literal thousands of melodic hard rock / glam etc. CDs in my collection, so there sure as hell is nothing wrong with stating Bon Jovi as you're all time fave, Dr Feelgood. :)

:lol: I think I took the easy way out picking a modern band (but they still are my fave anyway) as I'd hate to try and seperate Treat, Steelhouse Lane, Harem Scarem, Danger Danger, Fate, Casanova, Vain and the rest of my faves - would be impossible. As Tim (2) states, it's hard to pick over an entire career because a lot of my faves have one stunning CD along the way, but not all are brilliant. And then there's the likes of Zero, which is probably my all-time fave melodic hard rock CD, but there's only one! Same with Intuition and Stun Leer. With a discography behind them they'd be up the top for sure, because they already are!!! Impossible to choose when it comes to melodic rock. :D