Most disappointing release of 2022

AlphaMale

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, auslander said:

Dynazty. I have listened to it three times and still can't work out why people rave about this band.

People don't. Only @heavyharmonies does. 

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

People don't. Only @heavyharmonies does. 

lol, I was going to ask who on earth raves about them as I thought everyone hated them... except Dan. :)

Disappointing means it sucked when I did not expect it. Let me think. 

For one, definitely not HEAT for me. It's not their best album, possibly their weakest yet. But it's grown on me a bit and it's still a good album. Like I say, not their best, but they have a pretty bloody massive discography to match up against. I like it. 

Okay, here's a few of the worst offenders;

Aldo Nova     -    The Life and Times of Eddie Gage ; horrendous

John Norum     -    Gone to Stay ; got roped into thinking this might be a melodic tangent from him. It's not... and even when it tries to be it's not good, sadly. 

Tommy Paris     -    Erthearz ; hadn't really followed his post-BF career, and I should have left it that way.

Slash     -    4 ; there's always hope but I don't like it one bit.

Bryan Dallas     -    Complete Works 2020 to 2022 ; just why? 

Adellaide     -    2022 ; didn't expect the world, but expected better than this.

Bryan Adams     -    So Happy It Hurts ; poor album

Praying Mantis     -    Katharsis ; this one was really disappointing as I'd have expected a good album from these guys, but this is a very poor album, imo.

Last Temptation     -    Fuel for my Soul ; weak

Scorpions     -    Rock Believer ; never been a massive fan but definitely expected better than this.

Chris Antblad     -    Sweet Surrender ; his weakest by far

Terra Nova     -    Ring That Bell ; still can't understand why this sounds like it does - near unlistenable.

Autograph     -    Beyond ; such a weak collection of songs. :(

Halestorm     -    Back from the Dead ; what happened to the hooks?

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Disappointing means it sucked when I did not expect it. Let me think. 

disappointment means it didn't live up to your expectations, not that it necessarily sucked.

HEAT doesn't suck, but it was by far my biggest disappointment as I was expecting excellence 

8 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Actually, though? You had expectations for that one?

I did when Schon said it was like Escape 2. 

unfortunately it was like Generations 2, only worse 😕 

• 2 weeks later...

So much hate for Heat! I admit I was underwhelmed on my first listen, but each listen after that the melodies and strong songs dragged me in. I now have it right up there as a very good release. I reckon it is not as immediate as previous Heat albums but it is not bad at all. See if you still don't like it after 5 complete play throughs. 😉

• Like 1

I like the HEAT disc also, its most definitely not THE biggest disappointment of the year,think its just mentioned as the hopes were so high for it...but for me it is by no means a bad album at all...my biggest disappointment would probably be Shiraz Lanes new cd...it offered so much before release...and after the fantastic Carnival Days & Vibration I E.P I was excited by news of a new disc....I'd even put the new Nordic Union ahead of HEAT in disappointment stakes.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lettard said:

I like the HEAT disc also, its most definitely not THE biggest disappointment of the year,think its just mentioned as the hopes were so high for it...but for me it is by no means a bad album at all...my biggest disappointment would probably be Shiraz Lanes new cd...it offered so much before release...and after the fantastic Carnival Days & Vibration I E.P I was excited by news of a new disc....I'd even put the new Nordic Union ahead of HEAT in disappointment stakes.

I'm with you here....Shiraz Lane easy.   I really expected that album to challenge for my top album of the year being that I loved Carnival Days and Vibration as well as the other songs they put out as singles.  But I found basically nothing else I liked about the album after hearing it.  It's hard to say why....Just doesn't have the  fun, catchy tunes they had on those previous releases.

As for H.E.A.T, I guess it's all about expectations.  I was expecting very little as I was not very fond of the first couple albums with Kenny and Erik was the reason I got into the band.  But I was actually pleasantly surprised with the album and it's gotten a lot of play for me.  I don't like it as much as the Erik albums but still like it plenty.

• Like 1

I'll agree about H.E.A.T.

The problem for Force Majeure (aside from the production) is that they've set the bar so damn high with their previous efforts that they were bound to not measure up at some point. It's by no means a bad album, but it is weak by H.E.A.T standards.

I would say I was disappointed about Autograph, but the truth is I didn't expect it to be any good based on the previous album. 

I wasn't as disappointed by Shiraz Lane as some were.

But holy crap was that Journey album a big, fat bucket of bummer balls. Since I actually enjoyed Eclipse, I was foolishly optimistic about Freedom and I shouldn't have been.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 8:58 PM, CMGiordano said:

The problem for Force Majeure (aside from the production) is that they've set the bar so damn high with their previous efforts that they were bound to not measure up at some point. It's by no means a bad album, but it is weak by H.E.A.T standards.

agree 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:16 PM, Doggy said:

Autograph - Beyond

Enuff"N'Nuff - Finer Than Sin

Were you expecting much from them to be disapointed though? I mean, I don't actually mind latter day EZN, but even I don't expect much from them. To be disapointed by an album I have to be expecting great things in the first place.

As for my biggest disapointment of the year, well didn't buy as many albums as I would have liked due to obvious reasons, but the one that really stands out isn't one I dislike, just one that should have been played constantly with how much I love the band, but ended up playing it a couple of times and then just moving onto something else and that is Halestorm - Back from the dead.

As I say, not a terrible album just nothing special and Lzzy just spends too much time shouting. Also disapointed that they totally screwed fans over by re-releasing it a few months later with bonus tracks.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, Captain Howdy said:

As for my biggest disapointment of the year, well didn't buy as many albums as I would have liked due to obvious reasons, but the one that really stands out isn't one I dislike, just one that should have been played constantly with how much I love the band, but ended up playing it a couple of times and then just moving onto something else and that is Halestorm - Back from the dead.

As I say, not a terrible album just nothing special and Lzzy just spends too much time shouting. Also disapointed that they totally screwed fans over by re-releasing it a few months later with bonus tracks.

Agree on that Halestorm album.  The songs are just kinda blah and Lizzy does spend too much time screaming.

Lizzy is phenomenal and uber talented.  It's a shame they can't come up with some better, catchier tunes while still taking advantage of her vocal talents.

All they really need to do IMO is get back to the blueprint of those first couple albums.  

10 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree on that Halestorm album.  The songs are just kinda blah and Lizzy does spend too much time screaming.

Lizzy is phenomenal and uber talented.  It's a shame they can't come up with some better, catchier tunes while still taking advantage of her vocal talents.

All they really need to do IMO is get back to the blueprint of those first couple albums.  

I was somewhat disapointed with Vicious as well, as I felt that relied too heavily on ballads, but that was still a better album than this even though it addressed my main complaint by having less ballads. I just wish they would, like you say, go back to their melodic rock roots with the occasional heavier track.

When I was still on twitter, I saw Lzzy post something about people saying she is screaming too much and she denied it, but it just shows there must be a lot of fans that think the same way we do for her to address that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors
On 12/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, Captain Howdy said:

Were you expecting much from them to be disapointed though? I mean, I don't actually mind latter day EZN, but even I don't expect much from them. To be disapointed by an album I have to be expecting great things in the first place.

Knowing that Chip is singing is a good enough reason not to buy it.